Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Alternative medicine

Jump to newest

By *ensuallover1000 OP   Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Following on from Rubes thread regarding GP visits and ones inclination to visit them, I was wondering if anyone here is into alternative methods of treatment i.e reflexology, acupuncture, reiki etc. What are your views on them?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

I would advise anyone contemplating it to read Rose Shapiro's book 'suckers'.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Alternative medicine is often derided, critics will point to the fact the there is no scientific evidence to prove that they work.

This does not mean that these methods are fakery, there are many examples where alternative medicine has proved to be highly effective. Whether by the placebo effect or something more subliminal the end result is evidence enough. There are many things in this world that modern science cannot explain. The pharmaceutical industry has spent a great deal of time and effort in lobbying governments to withdraw such treatments as homeopathy. Why would they do this if they weren't afraid of the competition?

By *risrugbyfanMan
over a year ago

yate

I'm a fan of them , find acupuncture helped a lot with lower back pain and migraines. also find reflexology and reki help with my general health and anxiety /depression .

over a year ago

"I'm a fan of them , find acupuncture helped a lot with lower back pain and migraines. also find reflexology and reki help with my general health and anxiety /depression .

"

There you go, empirical evidence at it's best.

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

The Alternative Medicine industry has used every trick employed by the worst parts of Big Pharma. The difference is they're selling a belief system. That's fine. But call it what it is: a nice chat. I've no doubt people feel better afterwards, but they do after seeing a psychic too, and for the same reasons.

over a year ago

"The Alternative Medicine industry has used every trick employed by the worst parts of Big Pharma. The difference is they're selling a belief system. That's fine. But call it what it is: a nice chat. I've no doubt people feel better afterwards, but they do after seeing a psychic too, and for the same reasons."

Hear, hear.

By *risrugbyfanMan
over a year ago

yate

"The Alternative Medicine industry has used every trick employed by the worst parts of Big Pharma. The difference is they're selling a belief system. That's fine. But call it what it is: a nice chat. I've no doubt people feel better afterwards, but they do after seeing a psychic too, and for the same reasons.

Hear, hear. "

speaking as someone who has had anxiety disorder and depression for over 20 years and tried every sodding drug the Dr can give me.ive found everyone gave me side effects and made my anxiety worse. .

reflexology and reki help me and means I can cope.

so think what you like ,it's your choice as it's my choice to use them .

over a year ago

"The Alternative Medicine industry has used every trick employed by the worst parts of Big Pharma. The difference is they're selling a belief system. That's fine. But call it what it is: a nice chat. I've no doubt people feel better afterwards, but they do after seeing a psychic too, and for the same reasons.

Hear, hear. "

The same industry that brought us Thalidomide, pressurises governments into pressuring their citizens to take medicines they don't want or need just to line their pockets.

By *_Yeah19Couple
over a year ago

Lincoln

I’m a big believer in food as medicine if that counts

TB

over a year ago

Hear, hear.

The same industry that brought us Thalidomide, pressurises governments into pressuring their citizens to take medicines they don't want or need just to line their pockets."

Indeed, the very same industry that brought us the end of things like polio.

Those bastards.

over a year ago

Osteopaths are seen by some as alternative medicine. Mine got me able to work again whereas Physio had got nowhere. Having said that I think sports physios are great.

Acupuncture has been great for me too. Really helps one of my relatives with arthritis.

Used in conjunction with traditional, there’s a place for it all.

Besides which, mostly paid for privately, it’s saving the NHS time and money isn’t it?

over a year ago

Hear, hear.

The same industry that brought us Thalidomide, pressurises governments into pressuring their citizens to take medicines they don't want or need just to line their pockets.

Those bastards."

From a time when the industry wasn't all about profiteering

over a year ago

"Alternative medicine is often derided, critics will point to the fact the there is no scientific evidence to prove that they work.

This does not mean that these methods are fakery, there are many examples where alternative medicine has proved to be highly effective. Whether by the placebo effect or something more subliminal the end result is evidence enough. There are many things in this world that modern science cannot explain. The pharmaceutical industry has spent a great deal of time and effort in lobbying governments to withdraw such treatments as homeopathy. Why would they do this if they weren't afraid of the competition?"

Can you quote the alternative scientific data which backs up your theory about the placebo effect? A few examples doesn't really back up homeopathy against all the counter evidence against.

The end result is not evidence enough.

One person having a remarkable recovery does not mean homeopathy was responsible.

The really sad thing is beliefs like this encourage a lot of people to believe they can be cured and put their life and hey, whaddaknow, their money, into the hands of frauds.

James Randi offered a $1m reward to anybody who could prove homeopathy worked. It remains unclaimed. He took a lethal dose of homeopathic medicine onstage during a Ted talk and guess what happened. Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Complimentary, not alternative and you’ll find acupuncture is offered on the NHS.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

Before the debate goes too deep, folk should look at the difference between a complimentary technique (such as acupuncture) and alternative (chiropractic therapy)

Acupuncture has proven scientific evidence for its effectiveness in situations such as long-term pain.

Most alternative medicial techniques do not stand up to scientific scrutiny. Doing no difference from placebos.

over a year ago

"Alternative medicine is often derided, critics will point to the fact the there is no scientific evidence to prove that they work.

This does not mean that these methods are fakery, there are many examples where alternative medicine has proved to be highly effective. Whether by the placebo effect or something more subliminal the end result is evidence enough. There are many things in this world that modern science cannot explain. The pharmaceutical industry has spent a great deal of time and effort in lobbying governments to withdraw such treatments as homeopathy. Why would they do this if they weren't afraid of the competition?

Can you quote the alternative scientific data which backs up your theory about the placebo effect? A few examples doesn't really back up homeopathy against all the counter evidence against.

One person having a remarkable recovery does not mean homeopathy was responsible.

The really sad thing is beliefs like this encourage a lot of people to believe they can be cured and put their life and hey, whaddaknow, their money, into the hands of frauds.

James Randi offered a $1m reward to anybody who could prove homeopathy worked. It remains unclaimed. He took a lethal dose of homeopathic medicine onstage during a Ted talk and guess what happened. Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g"

He irony is that there is no such thing as a lethal dose of homeopathic medicine, a pity the same can't be said of alopathic medicine.

over a year ago

He irony is that there is no such thing as a lethal dose of homeopathic medicine, a pity the same can't be said of alopathic medicine."

The reason there is no lethal dose of a homeopathic remedy, is because there's nothing in it.

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I prefer to think of it as complimentary medicine.

Pharmaceuticals actually developed out of what we now call herbalism. Many drugs are concentrated plant products. Or replicating them.

I believe in keeping things as natural as possible. Your body speaks to you, listen to it. Pain/symptoms alert to a dysfunction, simply treating the pain/symptoms is short sighted the cause needs to be treated.

Many things that were dismissed as myths have now been found to have a scientifically explicable basis -

eg

chicken soup - found to have anti-viral and antibacterial properties, also slows white blood cell action reducing inflammation

Honey for a sore throat - anti-bacterial properties that are particularly suited to the bacteria that cause sore throats

Hot lemon - increase in vit c boosts immune system

Fish as brain food - oily fish/omega 3 improves memory connections

I've used homeopathy for recurring tonsillitis I had as an adult, that drs had been unable to help with. Stopped it dead.

Aromatherapy for pain and relaxation inc for most of my labour with my daughter, and a wisdom tooth removal.

Aloe gel for burns and cuts, really helps soothe and skin heals with no scarring. Wish I'd learned about it years ago.

Arnica for bruising and sprains.

But I'm not against western/modern medicine and use when needed.

over a year ago

He irony is that there is no such thing as a lethal dose of homeopathic medicine, a pity the same can't be said of alopathic medicine.

The reason there is no lethal dose of a homeopathic remedy, is because there's nothing in it."

Quite, the principle behind homeopathy is that efficacy is increased with dilution. No one has suffered as a result of being given the wrong prescrition and no one has used it to murder or commit suicide.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/01/18 13:54:16]

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

For those who think that alternative medicines are always safe Google chiropractic and death

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Various plants offer so much potential .

Turmeric

Cannabis , the cbd oil seems remarkable

Passiflora

Milk Thistle

Angus Catus

Valerian

To mention just a few ....

And as another poster said , our diet can be our best medicine too .

Both allopathic and complementary medicine have a place , often together . But as in most cases it seems to have to be one or the other !

over a year ago

I had acupuncture for sciatica, for which I knew traditional NHS had no effective treatment. I had mild tennis elbow too. This 6 week treatment, has resulted in no relapse in over 10 years for me.

Have tried many things on myself and pets, with good results. There is a place for traditional and alternative medicines. We are lucky to have choice.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

All forms of treatment or therapeutic measures, including prevention, are things I'm open to - they can be complementary.

I'm interested primarily in evidence of efficacy from double blind clinical trials.

Homeopathy is something that I'd avoid as evidence suggests no effect other than placebo.

I generally avoid woo without evidence

over a year ago

Hear, hear.

Those bastards.

From a time when the industry wasn't all about profiteering"

Spoiler: Every industry ever has always been about making a profit.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Chinese Herbal Medicine is a very complex and effective system with vast tranches of peer-reviewed research on it's very potent materi medici, for example the Ginsengs and other adaptogens.

Ayurvedic herbal medicine has some substances worthy of note too - Circumin, Boswellia Serrata, Withania Somnifera etc

Western herbalism is less potent IME, but there are notable, well-researched and effective herbs - Vitex Agnus Castus, St John's Wort, Silymarin etc, etc.

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

The reason there is no lethal dose of a homeopathic remedy, is because there's nothing in it.

Quite, the principle behind homeopathy is that efficacy is increased with dilution. No one has suffered as a result of being given the wrong prescrition and no one has used it to murder or commit suicide."

That's because there's nothing in it. The dilutions are such that not a molecule of the original substance is present. The inescapable arguement is that the whole of maths, physics, chemistry and cosmology is wrong, or homeopathy is wrong.

over a year ago

"I’m a big believer in food as medicine if that counts

TB"

I concur with this. Change of diet lowered my cholesterol and certain foods helped with menopausal systems.

over a year ago

"I’m a big believer in food as medicine if that counts

TB

I concur with this. Change of diet lowered my cholesterol and certain foods helped with menopausal systems."

or even symptoms

over a year ago

I take a Devil's Claw supplement for knee pain (which is either peri menopause related or i've inherited my mum's arthritic knees!) and the difference they make is amazing.

I don't need to take them in the Summer as my knees don't hurt then, but honestly, i wouldn't be without them in the Winter months.

No side effects that i've noticed either.

over a year ago

Yes I am a big fan of alternative supplements and indian herbs. I am using quite few of them.

Colloidal silver - Good for your immune system and to fighting bacteria and viruses

MSM - Good for recovery

Ashwagandha - Good for training and recovery.

over a year ago

I have used acupressure from time to time with good effects with help of some articles and videos.

I like using herbs for different conditions. Other than that I dont think I'm doing anything alternative.

Post new Message to Thread