Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

End of year rituals

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Do you have any?

A hangover from my mother is that I have to clean on NYE, fresh sheets on the bed (ready to fall into sober or d*unk) and all the washing done and put away.

I also do a round up of the year in my journal and I put all the birthdays and anniversaries onto the new wall calendar.

Please tell me you have rituals too.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm usually eating everything up ready for my new year diet. I also take the xmas decs down on NYE- new year new start.

over a year ago

"I'm usually eating everything up ready for my new year diet. I also take the xmas decs down on NYE- new year new start."

I have been wondering about whether to diet or not. I need to lose weight, that much is clear, but there is no way I can get through the stollen and chocolate before tomorrow.

over a year ago

Tidying up.

over a year ago

"I'm usually eating everything up ready for my new year diet. I also take the xmas decs down on NYE- new year new start.

I have been wondering about whether to diet or not. I need to lose weight, that much is clear, but there is no way I can get through the stollen and chocolate before tomorrow.

"

I can't properly diet unil the middle of January as I have stuff planned. So I'm going to eat better for 2 weeks in preparation.

over a year ago

Tidying up so I don't have to do it tomorrow. Bad foods are saved for NYD as #newyearnewme starts on the 2nd Jan

over a year ago

Dusting!

over a year ago

"Do you have any?

A hangover from my mother is that I have to clean on NYE, fresh sheets on the bed (ready to fall into sober or d*unk) and all the washing done and put away.

I also do a round up of the year in my journal and I put all the birthdays and anniversaries onto the new wall calendar.

"

I'm the same new sheets on bed washing done and floor steam cleaned all done early so down the pub now starting to get mullered for new year's and birthday

By *icearmsMan
over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

Travelling to be with my son... his birthday is new years day so always make an effort to be there for his big day.

over a year ago

Every year I go and get completely shitfaced on the 30th. Spend the 31st hanging, sweating and yuck. Then come to. Eat all the cheese and carbs. Pour a glass and dance my way through Hootenanny. Then when the pipers have piped me into the new year I go to bed a happy bunny. An odd tradition but it’s mine.

over a year ago

"Do you have any?

I'm the same new sheets on bed washing done and floor steam cleaned all done early so down the pub now starting to get mullered for new year's and birthday "

I'm glad it's not me.

I have found it especially good this year as I always change the sheets on Sunday anyway.

over a year ago

"Tidying up so I don't have to do it tomorrow. Bad foods are saved for NYD as #newyearnewme starts on the 2nd Jan "

I think the old you is pretty good anyway.

over a year ago

"Dusting!"

over a year ago

"Tidying up. "

Is that putting away or cleaning too?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/12/17 15:32:33]

over a year ago

"Travelling to be with my son... his birthday is new years day so always make an effort to be there for his big day."

That's a lovely ritual.

over a year ago

"Tidying up so I don't have to do it tomorrow. Bad foods are saved for NYD as #newyearnewme starts on the 2nd Jan

I think the old you is pretty good anyway.

"

Always room for improvement Lickety

over a year ago

"Tidying up.

"

Oh cleaning. I even get the polish out and everything.

over a year ago

New year have to have a new start everything clean so don't need to do anything tomorrow with a hangover

over a year ago

"Every year I go and get completely shitfaced on the 30th. Spend the 31st hanging, sweating and yuck. Then come to. Eat all the cheese and carbs. Pour a glass and dance my way through Hootenanny. Then when the pipers have piped me into the new year I go to bed a happy bunny. An odd tradition but it’s mine. "

Good for you. Although, this year they've put Nile Rodgers on BBC1 and Hootenanny on BBC2; I'd find it difficult to choose.

over a year ago

"Tidying up.

Oh cleaning. I even get the polish out and everything. "

Ooo, that lovely polish smell. I've polished my shoes too.

over a year ago

"New year have to have a new start everything clean so don't need to do anything tomorrow with a hangover"

It's lovely doing nothing when everything is clean.

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

All gone out the window this year as we’ve been away!!

But normally clean/tidy house, carpets cleaned, fresh sheets on all beds & decs away.

B x

By *s_macWoman
over a year ago

Traffic land

"Every year I go and get completely shitfaced on the 30th. Spend the 31st hanging, sweating and yuck. Then come to. Eat all the cheese and carbs. Pour a glass and dance my way through Hootenanny. Then when the pipers have piped me into the new year I go to bed a happy bunny. An odd tradition but it’s mine. "

I think that sounds like a great one!

over a year ago

No laundry New Years Day. That's about it for me.

over a year ago

My washing machine broke today so no clean anything

over a year ago

I reflect on what I've enjoyed over the past year and vow to do more of it; review habits/people which haven't served me well and vow to give them up; and think of something exciting and new to try over the coming year

By *inky SpiceWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

At midnight the back door must be opened to let the old year out and the front door opened to let the new year in. It's pretty chilly but it's tradition!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I used to. My eldest was born on new years day, used to toast it in with her. As she got older, no matter where she was in the world she'd come and spend it with me.

For years I'd ask what are you doing for new year and her indignant reply would be with you. Why do you have plans.

Now she has a family of her own and lives in Wales. Never truly realised how I loved our cuddling up on the sofa at midnight new year.

Blimey...I've been so maudlin this Christmas!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't think I have any rituals like that. Perhaps when I have a family of my own I will.

Other than going out with friends I don't do anything specific.

over a year ago

"My washing machine broke today so no clean anything "

Liberation?

over a year ago

"I reflect on what I've enjoyed over the past year and vow to do more of it; review habits/people which haven't served me well and vow to give them up; and think of something exciting and new to try over the coming year"

That sounds very healthy.

over a year ago

"I used to. My eldest was born on new years day, used to toast it in with her. As she got older, no matter where she was in the world she'd come and spend it with me.

For years I'd ask what are you doing for new year and her indignant reply would be with you. Why do you have plans.

Now she has a family of her own and lives in Wales. Never truly realised how I loved our cuddling up on the sofa at midnight new year.

Blimey...I've been so maudlin this Christmas! "

She has other people you love to cuddle at midnight now. See it as passing on the tradition to a new generation.

over a year ago

"I don't think I have any rituals like that. Perhaps when I have a family of my own I will.

Other than going out with friends I don't do anything specific. "

It's probably healthier not to have them.

over a year ago

"At midnight the back door must be opened to let the old year out and the front door opened to let the new year in. It's pretty chilly but it's tradition!"

One of my Mother's rituals I didn't carry on was to place a fresh piece of bread and some salt above the front door. It was to ensure we always had food and money in the year ahead. We didn't really have anyone to first foot us as we were either hosting a party or at a family party elsewhere. If we were at home she would open the back door (well, balcony door on 18th floor) and the front door.

over a year ago

"My washing machine broke today so no clean anything

Liberation?

"

I wish. Trips to the launderette until a new one arrives.

over a year ago

"At midnight the back door must be opened to let the old year out and the front door opened to let the new year in. It's pretty chilly but it's tradition!

One of my Mother's rituals I didn't carry on was to place a fresh piece of bread and some salt above the front door. It was to ensure we always had food and money in the year ahead. We didn't really have anyone to first foot us as we were either hosting a party or at a family party elsewhere. If we were at home she would open the back door (well, balcony door on 18th floor) and the front door.

"

My mum used to do that and my aunt rang a school bell, to ring in the new year. We ran around after her, on the green outside the house, banging saucepan lids or spoons on saucepans.

over a year ago

"At midnight the back door must be opened to let the old year out and the front door opened to let the new year in. It's pretty chilly but it's tradition!

My mum used to do that and my aunt rang a school bell, to ring in the new year. We ran around after her, on the green outside the house, banging saucepan lids or spoons on saucepans."

I might take some bells with me tonight. Thank you for that idea. Everyone will laugh at me but they do that anyway.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I change the bedding, clean the loos and hoover throughout. Chuck leftover food from Christmas away. Over lunch I ask my children what their highlights of 2017 have been.

I like the open the back/front door thing

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Bit of a winter clean / clearout. Some reflection, good and bad, and setting of goals and things I should do more of.

over a year ago

All the tidying and cleaning done. Now the main thing we try each year is to cum together as midnight strikes and the fireworks start it's like being in a movie if your pull the curtains back

Peach x

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

Falling out with FB due to not sharing enough of our thoughts and feelings. only to make up at the end of January.

over a year ago

"All the tidying and cleaning done. Now the main thing we try each year is to cum together as midnight strikes and the fireworks start it's like being in a movie if your pull the curtains back

Peach x"

Good luck! I hope your timing is perfect to arrive with the New Year.

over a year ago

"Falling out with FB due to not sharing enough of our thoughts and feelings. only to make up at the end of January."

You might need a different ritual... but, then again, if it works for you two...

By *illowzWoman
over a year ago

Exeter

Cleaning! Love a tidy house.

over a year ago

"I'm usually eating everything up ready for my new year diet. I also take the xmas decs down on NYE- new year new start."

Yep

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

"Falling out with FB due to not sharing enough of our thoughts and feelings. only to make up at the end of January.

You might need a different ritual... "

So damn true. think i might need another FB.

over a year ago

I have to have a clean house and fresh sheets too, and an empty washing basket. New calendar in place and a brand new diary with all the important dates added

Post new Message to Thread