Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London NYE

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What's it like? Is it mad busy getting back to the hotel after the fireworks or is the atmosphere and experience worth it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"What's it like? Is it mad busy getting back to the hotel after the fireworks or is the atmosphere and experience worth it? "

Last time i did it was 1999 into 2000... was amazing on Westminster Bridge, fireworks were amazing.... until it took us 4 hours to get off the thing!! Kept us on it to clear tubes and streets... not done it since.. ... probably much better organised now... probably!!

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

If you like shitloads of people getting in your way.

I managed to get on the MOD building about 10 years ago. That was awesome!

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

They start closing roads off from 4pm. You will never have seen crowds like it. Everyone is in a happy mood , it’s an experience never to be forgotten

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

We're gonna try and get on Vauxhall...

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's ticketed now, which is supposed to make it better. I can't do crowds that big but everyone I know who goes love it.

I watched from a friend's flat at St.Katherine's Wharf one year and then drove home when everything had been cleared.

over a year ago

I'm having a mini panic attack just thinking about the crowds

over a year ago

I fancy it every year. Maybe an all-nighter would be easier then first train home. I like happy crowds. Security is a worry.

over a year ago

"I fancy it every year. Maybe an all-nighter would be easier then first train home. I like happy crowds. Security is a worry."

Sleep in the fountain.

over a year ago

"I fancy it every year. Maybe an all-nighter would be easier then first train home. I like happy crowds. Security is a worry.

Sleep in the fountain."

Is it cosy?

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

"I fancy it every year. Maybe an all-nighter would be easier then first train home. I like happy crowds. Security is a worry.

Sleep in the fountain.

Is it cosy?"

Cold wet fenced off

over a year ago

Sleep in the fountain.

Is it cosy?

Cold wet fenced off"

Just like me.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Sleep in the fountain.

Is it cosy?

Cold wet fenced off

Just like me. "

Haha.

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

Some roads closed already. Forecast is rain. Wrap up well

over a year ago

Sleep in the fountain.

Is it cosy?"

Buoyant.

over a year ago

Sleep in the fountain.

Is it cosy?

Cold wet fenced off

Just like me. "

over a year ago

Just be careful, crowed places is like heaven for the these IS m fucker...

I am staying home this year..

Usually the tubes near to the firework places will be shut and some roads too will be shut so only ticket holders can go closer to firework place..

over a year ago

"Just be careful, crowed places is like heaven for the these IS m fucker...

Usually the tubes near to the firework places will be shut and some roads too will be shut so only ticket holders can go closer to firework place.."

Yeah this puts me off crowded events in general. I've still been out and about this year though and security has been good. I'm going to watch the fireworks from my bed tonight.

over a year ago

It's a good atomosphere and watching the fireworks is great, but I've always preferred finding a good vantage point outside of the mayhem and watching from there, especially if you can see more of the skyline and the other fireworks going off.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Just be careful, crowed places is like heaven for the these IS m fucker...

Usually the tubes near to the firework places will be shut and some roads too will be shut so only ticket holders can go closer to firework place.."

If we don't trust that most events are actually safe then they have won. I don't do big crowds anyway so I wouldn't go to this. I did crowds for the vigils in Manchester and London and will not change how I live in London because this isn't new to London. The 70s and 80s had plenty of lock-downs and we carried on.

over a year ago

"It's a good atomosphere and watching the fireworks is great, but I've always preferred finding a good vantage point outside of the mayhem and watching from there, especially if you can see more of the skyline and the other fireworks going off. "

From my daughter's balcony we can just see the London fireworks plus all the displays over east London. Shame we're going out tonight.

over a year ago

"It's a good atomosphere and watching the fireworks is great, but I've always preferred finding a good vantage point outside of the mayhem and watching from there, especially if you can see more of the skyline and the other fireworks going off. "

This has given me an idea, thank you!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 31/12/17 14:54:29]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 31/12/17 14:54:29]"

. Wrong post. Wrong thread. Just wrong.

over a year ago

We went last year but got the 9:30pm train home, we didn't find it particularly busy but we were around Leicester Square and then the Winter Wonderland. I've just booked a hotel for next NYE we'll have the children with us so won't be in the throng of things.

Ginger

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

OMG Cinderella is going to the ball on the South Bank where I can watch the fireworks from the private balcony!!! Owwweee!!!

(does happy skippy little dance!!!)

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"OMG Cinderella is going to the ball on the South Bank where I can watch the fireworks from the private balcony!!! Owwweee!!!

"

Lucky you! Away from the throng and folk tell me that the South Bank NYE event is really good.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"OMG Cinderella is going to the ball on the South Bank where I can watch the fireworks from the private balcony!!! Owwweee!!!

Lucky you! Away from the throng and folk tell me that the South Bank NYE event is really good.

"

over a year ago

"What's it like? Is it mad busy getting back to the hotel after the fireworks or is the atmosphere and experience worth it? "

A friend of mine went two years ago and vowed never again... She was thrown up on several times, punched in the face (she said maybe accidentally but still was shit!) and they found public transport even worse than the public... From a then 24 year old she put me off for life

over a year ago

"What's it like? Is it mad busy getting back to the hotel after the fireworks or is the atmosphere and experience worth it?

A friend of mine went two years ago and vowed never again... She was thrown up on several times, punched in the face (she said maybe accidentally but still was shit!) and they found public transport even worse than the public... From a then 24 year old she put me off for life "

You should be in Marketing.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"What's it like? Is it mad busy getting back to the hotel after the fireworks or is the atmosphere and experience worth it?

A friend of mine went two years ago and vowed never again... She was thrown up on several times, punched in the face (she said maybe accidentally but still was shit!) and they found public transport even worse than the public... From a then 24 year old she put me off for life "

At least the public transport is free.

over a year ago

Last time i did it was 1999 into 2000... was amazing on Westminster Bridge, fireworks were amazing.... until it took us 4 hours to get off the thing!! Kept us on it to clear tubes and streets... not done it since.. ... probably much better organised now... probably!! "

I did it in 2006 and it wasn't any better than That!

over a year ago

A friend of mine went two years ago and vowed never again... She was thrown up on several times, punched in the face (she said maybe accidentally but still was shit!) and they found public transport even worse than the public... From a then 24 year old she put me off for life

"

Seriously??! That's brilliant!! I've now got something on my bucket list.

1. London NYE.

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

Wayne Hemingway puts on a fantastic party on the south bank every year. I keep forgetting to get an invite

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Seriously??! That's brilliant!! I've now got something on my bucket list.

1. London NYE. "

Yes, the transport is free after midnight so people can get home and not risk drink driving.

over a year ago

"It's a good atomosphere and watching the fireworks is great, but I've always preferred finding a good vantage point outside of the mayhem and watching from there, especially if you can see more of the skyline and the other fireworks going off.

This has given me an idea, thank you!! "

Glad to be of assistance.

over a year ago

You should be in Marketing. "

Not me... I've never been... But for a 24 year old to be so appalled is quite off-putting!

over a year ago

Last time i did it was 1999 into 2000... was amazing on Westminster Bridge, fireworks were amazing.... until it took us 4 hours to get off the thing!! Kept us on it to clear tubes and streets... not done it since.. ... probably much better organised now... probably!!

I did it in 2006 and it wasn't any better than That!"

It's a shame really x

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I had no problem at all, it was all very civilised on the South Bank and Waterloo and the free tube was a great idea!

By *ral ExtraordinaireMan
over a year ago

Kent

Tickets have just gone on sale within the hour . Hurry if you want the best view !! Iv just got tickets opposite the london eye with my 9yr old daughter ...whoop whoop

over a year ago

Getting back to Twickenham wasn't too bad from Primrose Hill.

However if you go to the toilet don't expect to find your friends again

over a year ago

"Tickets have just gone on sale within the hour . Hurry if you want the best view !! Iv just got tickets opposite the london eye with my 9yr old daughter ...whoop whoop "

I'm jealous!

By *ral ExtraordinaireMan
over a year ago

Kent

"Tickets have just gone on sale within the hour . Hurry if you want the best view !! Iv just got tickets opposite the london eye with my 9yr old daughter ...whoop whoop

I'm jealous! "

It is fun !

over a year ago

I maybe in Scotland this nye

Post new Message to Thread