Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Birmingham and surrounding areas

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Help please

I need to move to Birmingham in late winter/early Spring for work and wonder if you Fabsters who know the area could advise of somewhere within 20 miles of the city centre where I could rent a house or flat. I would prefer something south of Birmingham if you know of anywhere.

I would also like somewhere rural if poss with a bit of a town centre nearby.

Not a rough area and with decent train route for city centre access.

Thank you in anticipation xxxxxxxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

my daughter lives in the bourneville area its not the cheapest as its a bit posh, but it has beautiful parks etc very good travel links (the station will take you into the centre in about 8 mins) and a chocolate factory! xx

over a year ago

just thought also the barnt green area is lovely bit further out but got a station xx

over a year ago

definately bournville really nice area.

By *ue care and attentionWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

You could try somewhere along the Solihull- Warwick train line like Acocks Green, Olton, Solihull or Shirley. Nice areas and always places to rent.

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

water orton/coleshill, got the new hub for trains there

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

mmmm 20 miles south of brum good trains

that'd be coventry then

over a year ago

"mmmm 20 miles south of brum good trains

that'd be coventry then"

Not on my map! Cov is East??????

over a year ago

If it has to be south, then Worcester/Bromsgrove are nice. If not, Tamworth is a nice town.

over a year ago

There is a beautiful new build village near Shirley called Dickens Heath. It has it's own little street of shops and restaurants, train station 5 minute walk away and countryside just a few minutes away too. Really nice place but also not the cheapest. Always apartments and houses to let though

over a year ago

All excellent suggestions thanks. Any thoughts on Coleshill?

Also what is the local rag for letting properties - looking at the agencies so far they seem to be charging an arm and a leg for commission.

I rented a two bedroom modern flat in Southampton a few years back and it was £750 a month plus bills.

What would I get for similar or one bedroom studio you reckon?

Thanks for help so far xxx

over a year ago

For £750 per month in Dickens Heath you should be able to get a nice 2 bed appartment I would think. I was paying £725 for a small 3 bed house but when I moved out the landlord put it up to £825. Try the Solihull Times or Solihull Observer.

over a year ago

"For £750 per month in Dickens Heath you should be able to get a nice 2 bed appartment I would think. I was paying £725 for a small 3 bed house but when I moved out the landlord put it up to £825. Try the Solihull Times or Solihull Observer."

Excellent info thank you xxx

over a year ago

Sutton coldfield has some nice areas if you look around.

We have friends there and there is some really nice properties in and around the area, its not that far from Brum city centre and is semi rural in some parts too.

Prices aren't that steep either if you know what you are looking for.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Sutton coldfield has some nice areas if you look around.

We have friends there and there is some really nice properties in and around the area, its not that far from Brum city centre and is semi rural in some parts too.

Prices aren't that steep either if you know what you are looking for. "

Only pointer is that Sutton CF is north Brum, but is great for city centre, tons of buses, as well as being on the cross city line, with trains every few mins, and takes about 20 mins to New St Station. Tamworth, as pointed out elsewhere, is also good, more rural than Sutton, just, but is again in the north. Tamworth Herald and Sutton Observer are the local papers.

I'd have guessed at Shirley - good for M40/M42, as well as trains to city, plus buses, or somewhere a little further out, towards Bromsgrove. I'm not a big fan of Redditch, and see no-one has offered this suggestion, but Kings Norton is south, also on the cross city line into New St station. I'd pick Bournville, but it's a little pricey.

over a year ago

"Sutton coldfield has some nice areas if you look around.

Prices aren't that steep either if you know what you are looking for.

Only pointer is that Sutton CF is north Brum, but is great for city centre, tons of buses, as well as being on the cross city line, with trains every few mins, and takes about 20 mins to New St Station. Tamworth, as pointed out elsewhere, is also good, more rural than Sutton, just, but is again in the north. Tamworth Herald and Sutton Observer are the local papers.

I'd have guessed at Shirley - good for M40/M42, as well as trains to city, plus buses, or somewhere a little further out, towards Bromsgrove. I'm not a big fan of Redditch, and see no-one has offered this suggestion, but Kings Norton is south, also on the cross city line into New St station. I'd pick Bournville, but it's a little pricey."

I need to travel back up north, obviously, but chose south of Birmingham as a base to get easy access to Oxfordshire where my daughter is living at the mo.

Ive looked at Bourneville and some really suitable rentals. Does the chocolate factory smell? I'm not keen on chocolate lol!

Post new Message to Thread