Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Apple apologise

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So apple have apologised for slowing older iphones down...with the pathetic excuse that they did it to prolong the life of the phones.

What a crock of shite!

They do it to make you buy a newer model but I don't think they are alone as Samsung seen to slow down greatly after a few months and no matter how many files you delete the fecking memory still fills up.

What's your thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Having been on the inside of Apples inner circle once, I can honestly say I’ve never come across a more ruthless company for making money and stopping others in competition with them, I used to love the apple brand but what they’ve done over the past 10 years has turned me right off them, can anyone recommend an alternative to the iPhone cause I’m actively looking to get rid of one I have.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Wozniak was the only senior member of staff with any honour. Apple refused to give the early employees any stock when it was first floated. Woz gave them some.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

You are consumers. Stop moaning and trying to make technology last. Now get out there and CONSUME! Otherwise how will the rich get richer?!

over a year ago

"Having been on the inside of Apples inner circle once, I can honestly say I’ve never come across a more ruthless company for making money and stopping others in competition with them, I used to love the apple brand but what they’ve done over the past 10 years has turned me right off them, can anyone recommend an alternative to the iPhone cause I’m actively looking to get rid of one I have."

Sadly I can't as I was impressed with my Samsung when I got it but sadly the software updates seem to slow it down by filling the memory.

My thoughts is it is purposely done to throttle the phone over the contract life...so when it is up you'll renew the phone and put it down to wear and tear.

Technology at its finest working against us but for the manufacturer.

over a year ago

"Having been on the inside of Apples inner circle once, I can honestly say I’ve never come across a more ruthless company for making money and stopping others in competition with them, I used to love the apple brand but what they’ve done over the past 10 years has turned me right off them, can anyone recommend an alternative to the iPhone cause I’m actively looking to get rid of one I have."

I'd recommend the Samsung Galaxy S range.

Weirdly enough, a colleague was adamant that Apple were deliberately killing his older phone. I sent him the story this morning and he went to "I told you so" mode haha

C

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Until recently I was in the unusual position of having an iPhone in one pocket and a Samsung in the other. One was my own phone and one a works' phone.

Having and using both at the same time for over a year is easily the best way to compare the Apple OS and tech versus the Samsung tech and Android OS. Most people's views and reviews will simply endorse their own choice.

A little extra background... Many years ago I was an Apple advocate, but I happily moved into the PC environment.

Suffice to say I am genuinely neutral and objective.

My verdict... Samsung and Android shits all over Apple on just about every level.

The Apple environment is unwieldy, intentionally awkward and insular. It's not as controllable or flexible. Plus, as we've seen in recent years, where Apple once led, they now follow, desperately playing catch-up to rivals who are far more innovative.

over a year ago

Confirming what I thought. Trouble is all phones I've had seem to do the same thing my old Nokia 3210 used to crash no sooner than the year was up, iPhone gets slower even after a fresh reset and restart. My S7 is somewhat better but have noticed the screen isn't as responsive as it used to be and is slowing a bit. My biggest annoyance is my iPad got really slow after its last update.

over a year ago

Never had an iphone and won't.

All companies make products to just last a few years so people buy new ones. I'm not surprised at all.

over a year ago

"Having been on the inside of Apples inner circle once, I can honestly say I’ve never come across a more ruthless company for making money and stopping others in competition with them, I used to love the apple brand but what they’ve done over the past 10 years has turned me right off them, can anyone recommend an alternative to the iPhone cause I’m actively looking to get rid of one I have.

Sadly I can't as I was impressed with my Samsung when I got it but sadly the software updates seem to slow it down by filling the memory.

My thoughts is it is purposely done to throttle the phone over the contract life...so when it is up you'll renew the phone and put it down to wear and tear.

Technology at its finest working against us but for the manufacturer."

Maybe try a hard reset, erase the whole thing and install as a fresh phone. Don't forget to back up first.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

The only Apple product I own is an iPod, and I'm still waiting for an apology for the automatic download of that fucking U2 album!!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Shock horror.... Tech firm make old models crap to encourage sheep to buy new more expensive ones....why is this news?!

over a year ago

"The only Apple product I own is an iPod, and I'm still waiting for an apology for the automatic download of that fucking U2 album!!"

They did and created a programme to delete fully.

over a year ago

"The only Apple product I own is an iPod, and I'm still waiting for an apology for the automatic download of that fucking U2 album!!"

Yeah they kinda screwed up there, I have 3 iMacs in the house and we all have iPhones, needless to say I’ll be moving away from the iPhone very soon though.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"Until recently I was in the unusual position of having an iPhone in one pocket and a Samsung in the other. One was my own phone and one a works' phone.

Having and using both at the same time for over a year is easily the best way to compare the Apple OS and tech versus the Samsung tech and Android OS. Most people's views and reviews will simply endorse their own choice.

A little extra background... Many years ago I was an Apple advocate, but I happily moved into the PC environment.

Suffice to say I am genuinely neutral and objective.

My verdict... Samsung and Android shits all over Apple on just about every level.

The Apple environment is unwieldy, intentionally awkward and insular. It's not as controllable or flexible. Plus, as we've seen in recent years, where Apple once led, they now follow, desperately playing catch-up to rivals who are far more innovative."

Should have gone to specsavers

over a year ago

More often than not, a lot of phone and tablet users have no idea of how the device they are using actually works. I wonder how many people ever go into the phone settings, click on "Device Maintenance" and optomise the phone. Doing that automatically clears a large amount of memory amongst other things.

These devices are not the same as a laptop or normal computer, the operating system is loaded into Ram not a hard drive. The larger the operating system is the more space in that ram it takes up and the slower it will run. Modern phones and tablets hold huge amounts of data and have to do more and more with that data, they will slow down over time as the operating system and the Apps are updated.

That's why it always pays to get a device with the largest amount of memory you can, then add even more memory to store personal data and pics.

over a year ago

It’s always been a joke that Apple slows your phone down before new model release, but now they’re admitting to it! I had an old iPad once which worked perfectly well despite its age, I upgraded it from IOS 5 to 7 and it killed it, made it unusable.

over a year ago

"More often than not, a lot of phone and tablet users have no idea of how the device they are using actually works. I wonder how many people ever go into the phone settings, click on "Device Maintenance" and optomise the phone. Doing that automatically clears a large amount of memory amongst other things.

These devices are not the same as a laptop or normal computer, the operating system is loaded into Ram not a hard drive. The larger the operating system is the more space in that ram it takes up and the slower it will run. Modern phones and tablets hold huge amounts of data and have to do more and more with that data, they will slow down over time as the operating system and the Apps are updated.

That's why it always pays to get a device with the largest amount of memory you can, then add even more memory to store personal data and pics."

It appears your also one who don't know how they work. The opperating software is stored on flash memory not Random Access memory if it was installed to ram it would delete after every switch off.

over a year ago

"Wozniak was the only senior member of staff with any honour. Apple refused to give the early employees any stock when it was first floated. Woz gave them some."

What?

over a year ago

"It appears your also one who don't know how they work. The opperating software is stored on flash memory not Random Access memory if it was installed to ram it would delete after every switch off. "

Of course i know that, i was just trying to make it easy for peeps to understand.

To make it clearer then, Flash memory is a fixed size. The Operating system and Apps only ever grow in size until functionality slows down.

Happy with that

over a year ago

"It appears your also one who don't know how they work. The opperating software is stored on flash memory not Random Access memory if it was installed to ram it would delete after every switch off.

Of course i know that, i was just trying to make it easy for peeps to understand.

To make it clearer then, Flash memory is a fixed size. The Operating system and Apps only ever grow in size until functionality slows down.

Happy with that "

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

It annoys me how android has so much software that i can't get rid of.

over a year ago

"It annoys me how android has so much software that i can't get rid of. "

Tbf yes and apple have only just allowed people to delete their bloatware apps i.e. stocks

over a year ago

"It appears your also one who don't know how they work. The opperating software is stored on flash memory not Random Access memory if it was installed to ram it would delete after every switch off.

Happy with that "

Yes but the first information was misleading as lots of people would know they have a 32gb phone but may or may not realise that they only have a 4gb ram. If they did they might think a handful of apps will fill the phone.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

The probably apologising now to try and stabilise any market fall. We are invested in them too with a £10bn bond buying programme a few years ago when The Bank of England bought a large amount of Apple stocks alongside a few other companies including British American Tobacco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37348889

What is interesting is this in the Indi today; "The Independent revealed councils have cut millions from stop-smoking service budgets while investing millions in taxpayer funds with major tobacco companies"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/anti-smoking-advert-video-cancer-chemicals-organs-cigarette-use-lungs-tobacco-addiction-a8131741.html

There is a class action lawsuit against Apple and Google if I remember rightly?? Something around Apple allowing google to collect or harvest data without people being aware? So Apple (and the UK) are not looking that good at the moment.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

*They are.

By *wo4FemCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Get yourself a Samsung.

We have recently upgraded our Galxy S5 phones to the Galaxy S8 phones. Never had a problem with the S5's just got a good deal on the S8's with free 14 inch tele tablets and Gear VR's for both phones. £1 a month tariff.

Mr2

By *wo4FemCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The probably apologising now to try and stabilise any market fall. We are invested in them too with a £10bn bond buying programme a few years ago when The Bank of England bought a large amount of Apple stocks alongside a few other companies including British American Tobacco.

What is interesting is this in the Indi today; "The Independent revealed councils have cut millions from stop-smoking service budgets while investing millions in taxpayer funds with major tobacco companies"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/anti-smoking-advert-video-cancer-chemicals-organs-cigarette-use-lungs-tobacco-addiction-a8131741.html

There is a class action lawsuit against Apple and Google if I remember rightly?? Something around Apple allowing google to collect or harvest data without people being aware? So Apple (and the UK) are not looking that good at the moment."

Can't say that I know anything about this lawsuit but I do know Apple have recently lost a lawsuit to two guys in Italy who have named their clothing brand Steve Jobs. They are saying that they may move in to the electronics industry in the future, so it may be that Steve Jobs mobile phone will enter in to the market at some point.

Mr2

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

i guessed this was the case. As someone that has an iPad Air with ios11 that is slow as anything, after using my pro for nearly 2 years going back to air as a backup is virtually impossible.

My iPad Air has 128gb of flash memory and possibly 1gb of ram

My iPad Pro has 256 gb of flash memory and 2gb of ram

My pro uses a a9x processor, my iPad Air a A7.

I can understand why they may they throttle

over a year ago

People are idiots and are being used as cash cows. Nothing new there

over a year ago

What put me off Iware was that anyone who had any device from Apple had a cracked screen within months of getting it.

I dropped my Microsoft phone loads of times and it never cracked.

Even when I leant on it, in my bag, it only had a small semi-circular dent along one side, that was barely noticeable. A shame the Windows 10 update messed things up though.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"The probably apologising now to try and stabilise any market fall. We are invested in them too with a £10bn bond buying programme a few years ago when The Bank of England bought a large amount of Apple stocks alongside a few other companies including British American Tobacco.

There is a class action lawsuit against Apple and Google if I remember rightly?? Something around Apple allowing google to collect or harvest data without people being aware? So Apple (and the UK) are not looking that good at the moment.

Can't say that I know anything about this lawsuit but I do know Apple have recently lost a lawsuit to two guys in Italy who have named their clothing brand Steve Jobs. They are saying that they may move in to the electronics industry in the future, so it may be that Steve Jobs mobile phone will enter in to the market at some point.

Mr2 "

Data was harvested to track browsing and then personalise advertising between 2011/12 on iphones, lawyers are hoping for £1bn in compensation for up to 5 million consumers as they were unaware or opted out to their phones tracking their activities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/technology

over a year ago

Yet people still queue for hours to but their products!

Post new Message to Thread