Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I’m brOKen

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This time of year is particularly horrible for those suffering with mental health issues and those they turn to for help often don’t know what to do for the best.

Sadly, my best friend took his life some years ago and I always felt I could have done something. This time of year always makes me reflect and that’s a huge regret.

Now when I feel someone isn’t all sunshine and lollipops I try to be there even if they don’t necessarily think they need someone. Just a check in text can make all the difference.

What I’m trying to say is hold your nearest and dearest a little closer. One day you could be the difference.

If it’s you feeling vulnerable don’t keep it all inside. There is someone in your life who can lighten the burden.

Love and strength to you all xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Well done for reaching out and letting others know that they are not alone.

It is far more common than those who haven't experienced it realise.

Have a great holiday

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"This time of year is particularly horrible for those suffering with mental health issues and those they turn to for help often don’t know what to do for the best.

Sadly, my best friend took his life some years ago and I always felt I could have done something. This time of year always makes me reflect and that’s a huge regret.

Now when I feel someone isn’t all sunshine and lollipops I try to be there even if they don’t necessarily think they need someone. Just a check in text can make all the difference.

What I’m trying to say is hold your nearest and dearest a little closer. One day you could be the difference.

If it’s you feeling vulnerable don’t keep it all inside. There is someone in your life who can lighten the burden.

"

It’s a real heart wrencher this subject 2 friends of mine did this many years ago 1 was a big surprise the other not so I often think I could of done more but in reality could I maybe maybe not it’s a crap way to loose friends big hugs op x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hmmm. I'm not sure if anyone can do more than they did in these circumstances. Often a person's distress is hidden. Sometimes the person is so determined that nothing will stop them.

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"Hmmm. I'm not sure if anyone can do more than they did in these circumstances. Often a person's distress is hidden. Sometimes the person is so determined that nothing will stop them.

"

That was the case with the second friend he had a big network of friends but still hung himself so I agree

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Simply .

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A beautiful post. This time of year can be so difficult for so many x

By *ngel clawsWoman
over a year ago

Hull

All power to you OP for posting this. To have compassion is to be human, to hold out a hand, or lend a friendly ear is often just enough to turn someone's life around. Big hugs x

over a year ago

"This time of year is particularly horrible for those suffering with mental health issues and those they turn to for help often don’t know what to do for the best.

"

My best friend took her life in June, I miss her terribly.

Geeky x

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Honestly losing him is one of the hardest things I’ve ever dealt with. I wish I had my time again but we can’t change the past.

I send a huge virtual hug to posters that have been affected. I’ve had a good cathartic cry and I cannot stress enough the importance of just being present. If only virtually.

Like a sensible forumite said above, we can’t always make that difference but we can be open to listening and being there if we get the opportunity.

over a year ago

"Honestly losing him is one of the hardest things I’ve ever dealt with. I wish I had my time again but we can’t change the past.

I send a huge virtual hug to posters that have been affected. I’ve had a good cathartic cry and I cannot stress enough the importance of just being present. If only virtually.

Like a sensible forumite said above, we can’t always make that difference but we can be open to listening and being there if we get the opportunity.

"

Hugs xx He's at peace now.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, you honour your friend by keeping him present in your life. You honour him by accepting that others find this time of year difficult.

I have found Fab can be particularly good for helping those in need to have contact over the Christmas period. It can be like family on here at times - both good and bad.

If anyone is feeling lonely and desperate then call the Samaritans, post on here, remember that the pictures you see of others having a 'perfect' Christmas might be an illusion. We all find our peace in different ways and in a week all this Christmas stuff will be in the bin.

Post new Message to Thread