Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Matt Damon

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

From the article- " One of the 47-year-old actor's recent controversial comments was, “We’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and r4pe or child m0lestation, right?”

He added, "Both of those behaviours need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right?” "

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/matt-damon-oceans-8-sexual-harassment-cut-movie-role-actor-women-assault-harvey-weinstein-affleck-a8123021.html

I think he has a point. What do you think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Definition of conflate - combine (two or more sets of information, texts, ideas, etc.) into one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's controversial, but, where does it end?

I can see a time not far away when approaching someone on a night out and suggesting you share a drink is construed as an unwanted sexual advance.

over a year ago

"From the article- " One of the 47-year-old actor's recent controversial comments was, “We’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and r4pe or child m0lestation, right?”

He added, "Both of those behaviours need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right?” "

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/matt-damon-oceans-8-sexual-harassment-cut-movie-role-actor-women-assault-harvey-weinstein-affleck-a8123021.html

I think he has a point. What do you think?"

Agreed

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I agree with him.

Unfortunately for him, he showed intelligence, reason and logic. He showed an ability to discern between cases and not simply follow the latest 'fashion'.

He , quite rightly, finds the unwanted sexual attention toward males and females as abhorrent as any other right minded person but the 'finger pointers and screamers' are desperate to elevate themselves onto the 'decent citizen' and 'respecter of women' pedestal and so the witch hunts of Cromwellian proportions continue.

People are actually scared to speak out. Not just the women who accepted abuse to keep their jobs ( incidentally there is a choice there ) but people who don't want to labelled as Weinsteinites.

The accusers are like religious fucking zealots and the weak minded follow.

Harvey Weinstein and men like him are vomit inducing but worse are the institutions and societies that are inconspicuous enablers. I doubt he thought he was doing wrong. He tried , he got. He was avoidable from what I read.

Most women have good radar. 'Come to my room to sign a deal , alone, tonight, dress sexy, I'll be naked.' .......

over a year ago

"I agree with him.

Unfortunately for him, he showed intelligence, reason and logic. He showed an ability to discern between cases and not simply follow the latest 'fashion'.

He , quite rightly, finds the unwanted sexual attention toward males and females as abhorrent as any other right minded person but the 'finger pointers and screamers' are desperate to elevate themselves onto the 'decent citizen' and 'respecter of women' pedestal and so the witch hunts of Cromwellian proportions continue.

People are actually scared to speak out. Not just the women who accepted abuse to keep their jobs ( incidentally there is a choice there ) but people who don't want to labelled as Weinsteinites.

Harvey Weinstein and men like him are vomit inducing but worse are the institutions and societies that are inconspicuous enablers. I doubt he thought he was doing wrong. He tried , he got. He was avoidable from what I read.

Most women have good radar. 'Come to my room to sign a deal , alone, tonight, dress sexy, I'll be naked.' ....... "

Well put.

over a year ago

"From the article- " One of the 47-year-old actor's recent controversial comments was, “We’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and r4pe or child m0lestation, right?”

conflated??

over a year ago

Now heres the thing,awoman at wirk recently reported a man for sexual harrasment,he had said something inappropriate along the lines of"great ass".

A week earlier a work colleague had said he wouldnt mind fucking her,she went red and giggled,my point is,if the woman likes you then its ok to say such things.

The first guy got sacked after 35 years of working there.

over a year ago

"Now heres the thing,awoman at wirk recently reported a man for sexual harrasment,he had said something inappropriate along the lines of"great ass".

A week earlier a work colleague had said he wouldnt mind fucking her,she went red and giggled,my point is,if the woman likes you then its ok to say such things.

"

That's fucking awful!! Shame no-one heard the 2nd guy say that to her.

over a year ago

"I agree with him.

Most women have good radar. 'Come to my room to sign a deal , alone, tonight, dress sexy, I'll be naked.' ....... "

Especially your last sentence.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Now heres the thing,awoman at wirk recently reported a man for sexual harrasment,he had said something inappropriate along the lines of"great ass".

"

Do you know that 'giggling' is a defence mechanism that some women employ ? Not all..... why did she go red ?

Embarrasment ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

If he was sacked then it wasn't the first time he's been called out for it.

over a year ago

That's fucking awful!! Shame no-one heard the 2nd guy say that to her. "

Do you see my point though? Another guy got warned for giving unwanted attention to a woman,in other words she didnt like him

Its a minefield

over a year ago

If he was sacked then it wasn't the first time he's been called out for it. "

Hed been warned a few years earlier about something similar, your like miss friggin marple granny

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Do you see my point though? Another guy got warned for giving unwanted attention to a woman,in other words she didnt like him

Its a minefield"

Whoa , Whoa, Whoa,,,,,,,,,, Both men got warned or sacked because of what THEY did. What THEY did. What THEY did against company policy.

Don't try to blame the women.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If he was sacked then it wasn't the first time he's been called out for it.

Hed been warned a few years earlier about something similar, your like miss friggin marple granny"

Show me your ass and I'll reveal my true identity. Mind me hair net.

over a year ago

"

You make a good point. I wonder if this is about the fact that harassment is about how it feels in receipt not based on the intent. I’m musing, not specifically commenting that one or the t’other is right or wrong in your scenario at all (and I suppose you wouldn’t have all the details from both sides either...) but that often the issue in situations of hurt/upset, is that people aren’t willing to apologise or offer mitigation for when their intent wasn’t to hurt but it did and when they become aware that is the case, nor people sometimes willing to accept apologies when done so to de-escalate. But your point re it being okay if she likes you is true, as it’s how it is received by the person definitely, as to whether it causes impact, not just the intent of the person doing it. It would be why it’s better to keep the behaviour in the workplace professional

over a year ago

Its a minefield

Whoa , Whoa, Whoa,,,,,,,,,, Both men got warned or sacked because of what THEY did. What THEY did. What THEY did against company policy.

Don't try to blame the women."

Whoa whoa whoa granny, i wasnt blaming the woman,if the guys hadnt said anything there would be nothing to report

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Its a minefield

Whoa whoa whoa granny, i wasnt blaming the woman,if the guys hadnt said anything there would be nothing to report"

Okay. Now show me your ass.

over a year ago

Do you know that 'giggling' is a defence mechanism that some women employ ? Not all..... why did she go red ?

Embarrasment ? "

That’s a fair point too. I’m presuming Dash meant she was okay also as she didn’t report him as she had with the other chap, but it still may not mean she was comfortable, that’s true. Even if she was, someone else could have been offended on her behalf - third party harassment.

over a year ago

You make a good point. I wonder if this is about the fact that harassment is about how it feels in receipt not based on the intent. I’m musing, not specifically commenting that one or the t’other is right or wrong in your scenario at all (and I suppose you wouldn’t have all the details from both sides either...) but that often the issue in situations of hurt/upset, is that people aren’t willing to apologise or offer mitigation for when their intent wasn’t to hurt but it did and when they become aware that is the case, nor people sometimes willing to accept apologies when done so to de-escalate. But your point re it being okay if she likes you is true, as it’s how it is received by the person definitely, as to whether it causes impact, not just the intent of the person doing it. It would be why it’s better to keep the behaviour in the workplace professional "

Worded great estella,you have got my point that i was trying to make,i dont word things well when i want to make a point on here

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Its a minefield"

Its a bit like the forums...start a thread or make a post and depending on "who" you are, they will go down well or not.

over a year ago

Its a minefield

Whoa whoa whoa granny, i wasnt blaming the woman,if the guys hadnt said anything there would be nothing to report

Okay. Now show me your ass. "

Will take a pic in the toilets in tescos right away

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I agree too

over a year ago

Its a minefield

Its a bit like the forums...start a thread or make a post and depending on "who" you are, they will go down well or not. "

Correct,gotta love the forums

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"

He got sacked for saying two word's?!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Its a minefield

Its a bit like the forums...start a thread or make a post and depending on "who" you are, they will go down well or not. "

Nah, I think that's dependent on who reads them rather then who writes them.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

He got sacked for saying two word's?!"

Highly inappropriate word's,but nevertheless two word's!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Its a minefield

Okay. Now show me your ass.

Will take a pic in the toilets in tescos right away"

I don't want the basin shot .... or the urinal.

Do it next to the weetabix I need to remember to get weetabix.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"

Yep seen it many a time.

over a year ago

Highly inappropriate word's,but nevertheless two word's!"

Yes two words,she told the manager and the ball started rolling,it went to higher management and that was it,he was gone

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Its a minefield

Its a bit like the forums...start a thread or make a post and depending on "who" you are, they will go down well or not.

Nah, I think that's dependent on who reads them rather then who writes them."

Oh I am pretty sure its who writes them. But obv that's just my opinion.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Okies. I'll be more vigilant :-0

I say the same to anyone. Specially as I don't know anyone

over a year ago

Anyway letsits xmas lets all be happy,who facies meeting me in tescilos for a fuck? I'll be in the weetabix section

over a year ago

"Anyway letsits xmas lets all be happy,who facies meeting me in tescilos for a fuck? I'll be in the weetabix section"

Fat fingers and small phone

over a year ago

Yes totally agree with the original point for 2 solid practicle reasons.

1 If every minor infraction is added to the pile of investigations needed, then serious cases will be left unsolved.

2 There will always be bad people, it's a dangerous game to make a minor grope achieve the same or similar sentence to full sexual assult.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Anyway letsits xmas lets all be happy,who facies meeting me in tescilos for a fuck? I'll be in the weetabix section

Fat fingers and small phone"

Is that how we recognise you ?

over a year ago

"Anyway letsits xmas lets all be happy,who facies meeting me in tescilos for a fuck? I'll be in the weetabix section

Fat fingers and small phone

Is that how we recognise you ?"

Beats red carnations under the clock...

over a year ago

You make a good point. I wonder if this is about the fact that harassment is about how it feels in receipt not based on the intent. I’m musing, not specifically commenting that one or the t’other is right or wrong in your scenario at all (and I suppose you wouldn’t have all the details from both sides either...) but that often the issue in situations of hurt/upset, is that people aren’t willing to apologise or offer mitigation for when their intent wasn’t to hurt but it did and when they become aware that is the case, nor people sometimes willing to accept apologies when done so to de-escalate. But your point re it being okay if she likes you is true, as it’s how it is received by the person definitely, as to whether it causes impact, not just the intent of the person doing it. It would be why it’s better to keep the behaviour in the workplace professional

Worded great estella,you have got my point that i was trying to make,i dont word things well when i want to make a point on here"

I don’t think it’s a minefield though. It’s actually about communication and accountability. You never know the impact of your words or actions, and especially when someone alerts you to it, it’s good to reflect and explain yourself.

If you’re making sexual overtures, it’s not rocket science that it could cause offence, and in particular in a workplace. That’s just idiotic behaviour.

But the whole accountability of yourself in how you impact others or how you react to others is fascinating, and again doesn’t have to be a minefield but....

I had one recently, my intent is never to hurt or upset. But sometimes people may feel upset. I’m *always* willing to discuss and if they misconstrued my words then I can explain, but also apologise that their misunderstanding hurt them, as that was a real feeling for them. However, people also need to own that they chose to interpret the words in that way (I’m not talking about your scenario but maybe more open to misinterpretation scenarios) and be as willing and engaged to check out intent and listen and accept what the intent was/was not — and checking in, is not accusing, judging, it’s not “you are this because of your words/actions...” it’s asking, “you said or did this, what did that mean?” and listen to the answers. Explain how you construed it and why, and educate the person about you and your sensitivities and they can educate you more about them as they will speak from their different lense of the world, and actually it can widen both people's experiences and appreciation.

over a year ago

Some just like to accuse and sit in the indignation of upset. Some like the drama.

over a year ago

Its a minefield

Same can be said about oral sex. If they like you they go down well

over a year ago

"

Same can be said about oral sex. If they like you they go down well "

I like you....

over a year ago

Yes two words,she told the manager and the ball started rolling,it went to higher management and that was it,he was gone"

But as you said further up the thread, the guy had been pulled up on saying something deemed as inappropriate before. They probably dismissed him because he did it again, even after receiving a warning before.

over a year ago

Yes two words,she told the manager and the ball started rolling,it went to higher management and that was it,he was gone

But as you said further up the thread, the guy had been pulled up on saying something deemed as inappropriate before. They probably dismissed him because he did it again, even after receiving a warning before. "

Correct,i didnt like the lazy twat anyway

over a year ago

But as you said further up the thread, the guy had been pulled up on saying something deemed as inappropriate before. They probably dismissed him because he did it again, even after receiving a warning before.

Correct,i didnt like the lazy twat anyway"

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

I agree that different types of behaviour shouldn't be conflated. But who is doing that?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

He's right in that there are distinctions between things that may be wrong - and some more than others. We have different penalties for various sexual crimes. But it's also important to retain the distinction between appropriate and inappropriate behavior. At heart is the issue of consent and he's probably not experienced how it can leave you, when you get unexpected intrusive attention, without inviting or wanting it - nor what other men may have done to you beforehand, potentially leaving you in trauma.

I think he's a responsible guy but it's a period where silence may be better, allowing people to establish their boundaries with no grey areas.

over a year ago

"Okies. I'll be more vigilant :-0

I say the same to anyone. Specially as I don't know anyone "

You've never asked me for an arse pic near the Weetabix.

over a year ago

"

I agree that different types of behaviour shouldn't be conflated. But who is doing that? "

I don't know. Maybe he feels that some people are getting hysterical about flirting and such like. I read that he was saying something about 'some men are good and don't do things like that, but they are forgotten'. Perhaps it's something he has experience of.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Yes we need that thing back, you know that thing...common sense, yes that's it, we need that back.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

I agree that different types of behaviour shouldn't be conflated. But who is doing that?

I don't know. Maybe he feels that some people are getting hysterical about flirting and such like. I read that he was saying something about 'some men are good and don't do things like that, but they are forgotten'. Perhaps it's something he has experience of. "

Maybe.

But I've not heard any one say, for example, that having your arse felt up without consent is the equivalent of the r word that we cannot use on here. No one has been convicted of that when they committed a lesser offence. I don't see where this alleged 'conflating' has come from.

So to me it just sounds like trying to dismiss the 'less serious' offences.

'Someone grabbed your butt? Well it's not the r word is it, so maybe don't make a fuss?'

As to there being good men...well, great. Not harassing/abusing people is a bare minimum standard for everyone to meet. Do we really need to say 'not all men!' every time we criticise specific men for being creeps?

Post new Message to Thread