Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

21/12/88 - Lockerbie

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Can you remember where you were this evening 29 years ago when news started to filter though about huge explosions in Lockerbie Scotland?

Please take a moment to remember all those who perished and all those affected by this terrible terrorist atrocity.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Shit, 29 years ago

I don't remember where I was but I remember being glued to the TV news, absolutely terribble.

When I joined the RAF a guy who joined with me lived on the street where the plane came down.

over a year ago

"Shit, 29 years ago

I don't remember where I was but I remember being glued to the TV news, absolutely terribble.

When I joined the RAF a guy who joined with me lived on the street where the plane came down."

I was 11, I remember seeing it on the telly with my mum and dad.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 17:00:05]

over a year ago

"Can you remember where you were this evening 29 years ago when news started to filter though about huge explosions in Lockerbie Scotland?

Please take a moment to remember all those who perished and all those affected by this terrible terrorist atrocity. "

I was in hospital on traction having just broken my neck and it made me stop and realise that I was more fortunate than the poor people who lost their lives...

over a year ago

I was a bit of an aviation buff back then

I was in my room listening the pilots on my airband radio

I knew something had happened before it was on the news

By *he Devils Daughter!Woman
over a year ago

some where in yorkshire

I was 14 n remember my mum panicking n not saying much n sat by the phone ... my dad was a HGV driver and in Lockerbie at that moment n his lorry was caught up in it n just missed the fireball ... to this day I still remember that night god bless all the poor people that lost their lives that night

over a year ago

I was over in Londonderry on a patrol when my OC told me on the radio to cut the patrol short and head back to base. I new something was up but wasnt expecting to hear that. One off those never forget moments.

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I was 16 and remember it on the news and feeling awful for all affected. Can't believe 29 years ago.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Yes. I was at my sisters house with other family members as it was her birthday. Corination street got interrupted with the horrific news.

over a year ago

I remember it so well.

I was 18 and working for a building company doing renovations at a care home for elderly overlooking Morecambe bay at the time.

I had gone back there that night as i say seeing a young lass who worked and lived in there.

On drive home Pan Am 103 would have passed overhead,it was a cold clear December night.

As Kendal's local ITV channel is Border,based in Carlisle we were the 1st to start getting news flashes(remember those?)across bottom of screen asking for emergency workers and medical staff to return to work...sadly they never were needed

Back then you could here Police radio communications on a standard FM radio,i spent most of the night listening to all those responding travelling north to the scene

over a year ago

Bloody hell, time flies (No pun intended). Travelled on Clipper maid of the seas a week before this happened. I was 14 and can still see the images on the news of seats in a field, just as though they were "supposed" to be there

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 22:46:21]

over a year ago

I was 3 years old so I’d imagine running around like a crazy child

Ads

over a year ago

I don’t really remember it, I was 9 at the time, I remember the news footage but that’s it, I can’t believe it’s been that long though x

Geeky x

By *avingabreakMan
over a year ago

Near the Border

I remember it due to the fact that I was traveling back up the road from blackburn with my mate Ian from a factory visit. this was a week before the crash to the hr...it shook us that if we had been a week later at that factory that would have been us.

That was a horrible few days for the people on the ground.....I've known a few involved with that task.

over a year ago

Sitting in Heathrow waiting for a flight to Brazil thinking the Iranians have got the yanks back for shooting down that Iranian airliner in the Gulf.

By *entleman55Man
over a year ago

S’th West Mc/r

Yes at sea, coming home from the Iran Iraq war

over a year ago

I remember it happening but vaguely and it's not one of my most vivid memories tbh. I've just turned 40 and the first 2 major disasters I recall vividly are the Challenger Disaster (85?) and Herald of Free Enterprise (87). The Bradford City Fire and Hillsborough are also etched in the memory. Horrendous events, even watching on from afar.

9/11 was on a whole new scale tho. I just remember sitting staring speechless at the TV and thinking the whole episode was some really bad dream.

By *entleman55Man
over a year ago

S’th West Mc/r

"Sitting in Heathrow waiting for a flight to Brazil thinking the Iranians have got the yanks back for shooting down that Iranian airliner in the Gulf."

I was on an RN ship in the gulf at that time USS Stark they rammed it with an explosive packed speed boat

over a year ago

"I remember it happening but vaguely and it's not one of my most vivid memories tbh. I've just turned 40 and the first 2 major disasters I recall vividly are the Challenger Disaster (85?) and Herald of Free Enterprise (87). The Bradford City Fire and Hillsborough are also etched in the memory. Horrendous events, even watching on from afar.

9/11 was on a whole new scale tho. I just remember sitting staring speechless at the TV and thinking the whole episode was some really bad dream. "

Oddly enough, even though it was before the challenger I remember more. Weird what you remember.

Geeky x

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Had a former colleague who drove our lorries who was there on the M74 when it hit.

He was safe but it affected him badly.

Same guy drove aid convoys to Romania when the children’s homes were exposed.

He’s since passed away.

over a year ago

I don't remember where i was but i have some recollection of the news unfolding and it still crosses my mind every time i drive past the turnoff a few times a year.

By *remiumChocolate_milkMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I was only a young'un, so can't remember exactly what I was doing on the day itself but I'd been involved in a bad accident a few months before. Would have been out of hospital for about a month but convalescing at home

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

A colleague of mine at the time was Lockerbie born and bred.

The house she grew up in before moving to London for work, was destroyed by wreckage.

It really hit her hard but everyone felt something on that awful day!

Post new Message to Thread