Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Christmas debt

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We heard on the radio that 57% (can't quite remember the exact figure but it was around about that) of people get themselves into financial debt for Chtistmas and 14% even take pay day loans.

Where is the sense in that? Surely the things that matter most in life are free. Our children and family would be mortified if they thought we had got into debt just to provide them with a present.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"We heard on the radio that 57% (can't quite remember the exact figure but it was around about that) of people get themselves into financial debt for Chtistmas and 14% even take pay day loans.

Where is the sense in that? Surely the things that matter most in life are free. Our children and family would be mortified if they thought we had got into debt just to provide them with a present."

Totally agree our family would be horrified too, if we have it they get it if not they don't and they understand that, was a tread a few days back were a guy was asking how to raise £2000 quickly for his kids xmas presents

over a year ago

im skint this year - so we havent done presents or money in envelopes - mw and the kids and their partners had a meal and night out instead - nothing ott just made some memories

By *icearmsMan
over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

I think there us too much pressure socially now a days to "keep up.with the jones".

And kids thrice on technology and that's how they tend to communicate these days. I've had times where I've considered a.loan etc to get him what he wants but I havent.

With the cost of living going up.all the time and wages being very stagnant I guess people resort loans as they want happy children.

over a year ago

The Pressure to buy your kids as much as everyone else does can be overwhelming.

We have a set budget every year and that’s it.

over a year ago

"im skint this year - so we havent done presents or money in envelopes - mw and the kids and their partners had a meal and night out instead - nothing ott just made some memories "

Absoloutely perfect, and those memories will last forever.

over a year ago

"We heard on the radio that 57% (can't quite remember the exact figure but it was around about that) of people get themselves into financial debt for Chtistmas and 14% even take pay day loans.

Where is the sense in that? Surely the things that matter most in life are free. Our children and family would be mortified if they thought we had got into debt just to provide them with a present.Totally agree our family would be horrified too, if we have it they get it if not they don't and they understand that, was a tread a few days back were a guy was asking how to raise £2000 quickly for his kids xmas presents "

Oh dear, the poor man. That makes us feel sad.

over a year ago

I'm on a relatively low wage, I started present shopping in September and that way I've managed to balance my money and everyone's bought for.

I think information about budgeting and credit unions - which offer extremely good rates on loans - needs to be more freely available. If people could save and budget more productively then maybe they wouldn't find themselves in such states.

over a year ago

Because people are fucking idiots who let themselves believe you have to spend a load of money at Christmas.

over a year ago

We have zero disposable income, therefore nobody gets Christmas presents. Everyone we know understands that, (not that I'd give a shit if they didn't) so there's zero pressure on us.

Advertising is overloaded with toys stores, immediately followed by loan providers. It almost as if they're in cahoots with each other.

I don't think I've ever used the word cahoots in a sentence before.

over a year ago

I tend to buy nice birthday presents, or nice "I saw this, and knew it was yours" day presents. And cheep crap for Christmas can't be focusing on so many gifts at one time.

Though money isn't tight, so if someone particularly needs something I will buy it for them.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

People put themselves under pressure no one else, everyone has to have the biggest the best and the latest gadgets and it’s just ridiculous, spending what you have t got just brings hardship for the rest of the year

over a year ago

"Because people are fucking idiots who let themselves believe you have to spend a load of money at Christmas. "

This really. It's not a surprise, Christmas happens every December!

Turkey crown £10. Taters £2. Presents bought every month and put away. Job done.

over a year ago

"We have zero disposable income, therefore nobody gets Christmas presents. Everyone we know understands that, (not that I'd give a shit if they didn't) so there's zero pressure on us.

Advertising is overloaded with toys stores, immediately followed by loan providers. It almost as if they're in cahoots with each other.

I don't think I've ever used the word cahoots in a sentence before. "

Cahoots!!

Yeah exactly. I couldn't give a shit if someone was upset I didn't buy them something. If they're only my friend for the gifts I buy then they're not really a friend.

over a year ago

"Because people are fucking idiots who let themselves believe you have to spend a load of money at Christmas.

This really. It's not a surprise, Christmas happens every December!

Turkey crown £10. Taters £2. Presents bought every month and put away. Job done. "

It really isn't a surprise, it's quite the opposite in fact and as you say, needn't be one big expense but go to town about this time of year you'd think folk were just told yesterday

over a year ago

Since when did we get so caught up with reverse snobbery? I don't agree with getting into debt for Christmas, when money was tight I saved with a credit union through out the year and did the majority of present shopping at the pound shop. However the last couple of years have been easier financially and I've been able to spend at Christmas without worry. I have a large family and have worked my arse off to build my business so if I want to buy the people I love something nice, and go OTT with Christmas dinner I won't be made to feel guilty for it. I pay an extortionate amount of tax, I treat my employees well and do a lot for local charities

over a year ago

"Since when did we get so caught up with reverse snobbery? I don't agree with getting into debt for Christmas, when money was tight I saved with a credit union through out the year and did the majority of present shopping at the pound shop. However the last couple of years have been easier financially and I've been able to spend at Christmas without worry. I have a large family and have worked my arse off to build my business so if I want to buy the people I love something nice, and go OTT with Christmas dinner I won't be made to feel guilty for it. I pay an extortionate amount of tax, I treat my employees well and do a lot for local charities "

Who is making you feel guilty? Get whatever you like.

over a year ago

"Since when did we get so caught up with reverse snobbery? I don't agree with getting into debt for Christmas, when money was tight I saved with a credit union through out the year and did the majority of present shopping at the pound shop. However the last couple of years have been easier financially and I've been able to spend at Christmas without worry. I have a large family and have worked my arse off to build my business so if I want to buy the people I love something nice, and go OTT with Christmas dinner I won't be made to feel guilty for it. I pay an extortionate amount of tax, I treat my employees well and do a lot for local charities "

The thread isn't about people who can afford to splash out though. If you have the means, fair play. Enjoy yourself and spend away. I'd do the same if I was in the position to.

It's about those who are basically skint and have to resort to borrowing to try and impress.

By *londieddWoman
over a year ago

fife

Where is the sense in that? Surely the things that matter most in life are free. Our children and family would be mortified if they thought we had got into debt just to provide them with a present.Totally agree our family would be horrified too, if we have it they get it if not they don't and they understand that, was a tread a few days back were a guy was asking how to raise £2000 quickly for his kids xmas presents

Oh dear, the poor man. That makes us feel sad."

don't be he gambled the money he had and says he won 1800 quid

over a year ago

Where is the sense in that? Surely the things that matter most in life are free. Our children and family would be mortified if they thought we had got into debt just to provide them with a present.Totally agree our family would be horrified too, if we have it they get it if not they don't and they understand that, was a tread a few days back were a guy was asking how to raise £2000 quickly for his kids xmas presents

Oh dear, the poor man. That makes us feel sad.

don't be he gambled the money he had and says he won 1800 quid "

Great plan until next year when he needs to find £2500 to outdo this years effort, lays his last money at the bookies and loses.

over a year ago

Quite the opposite, the guilt is being laid on those who spend what they don't have, not on those who live within available resources.

Post new Message to Thread