Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Goodnight, sleep tight

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Apparently (according to the article I’m reading), it is fairly likely you have no real clue how much sleep you got last night, or how sleep-deprived you are right now.

“In a study highlighted recently by Fast Company magazine, participants whose sleep was limited to six hours a night for 10 days performed just as badly on certain cognitive tasks as those who got zero sleep for two days straight. In other words, after a couple of weeks, six hours’ sleep is arguably as bad as none at all. Or even worse, in a way, because at least the zero-sleepers were able to rate themselves as extremely sleep-deprived; even by the time their alertness was just as poor, the six-hour sleepers still rated themselves less sleepy.

Making matters worse, you may well be getting six hours’ sleep, or some other insufficient amount, while believing you’re getting your full complement. That’s another standard finding of sleep studies: we’re constantly overestimating how much we get – by about 48 minutes on average, according to one study. Which is where things get complex, because researchers have also identified a “sleep placebo effect”: you do better on cognitive tasks when you believe you’ve slept well, even if you haven’t.

So the practical implications come down to this: above all, you probably need more sleep, even if you don’t feel sleepy, or you’re convinced you’re getting plenty. On the other hand, once you’ve taken that on board and adjusted your habits accordingly, please wipe the previous sentence from your mind, and do what you can to believe you’re well rested regardless. (For example, by not telling yourself how tired you feel.) You need more sleep and you need to believe you don’t. It’s a paradox, but don’t let that keep you awake.”

How’s your sleep? What are your tips for getting a good night’s sleep? Do you create the perfect bed-nest to hibernate in, and if so, what’s it like?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Zzz

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hey, you’re back (again)

My sleep is shocking. Not so much the length (ooer), more the quality. I can count the amount of full, undisturbed night’s sleep I’ve had in my adult life on one hand. No idea why.

over a year ago

"Zzz"

over a year ago

"Hey, you’re back (again)

My sleep is shocking. Not so much the length (ooer), more the quality. I can count the amount of full, undisturbed night’s sleep I’ve had in my adult life on one hand. No idea why. "

Too much thinking! The ability to “switch off” is an important one.

I sleeping.

(And yes, far too many people told me to stay... )

over a year ago

You simply must stay, you are loved

over a year ago

My sleep is terrible, I’m a terrible insomniac so cope with on average 5 hours a night. I can’t very often get to bed before midnight and I have no real routine that works. Unfortunately I can’t see it changing anytime soon x

over a year ago

And you’re right, my stupid brain doesn’t seem to be a fan of switching off

over a year ago

"You simply must stay, you are loved "

Awww.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"You simply must stay, you are loved "

This is true

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I recently read part of a study on sleep showing that 6 hours or less shortens your life and leads to Alzheimer's .

I need to find out who it was by

over a year ago

"My sleep is terrible, I’m a terrible insomniac so cope with on average 5 hours a night. I can’t very often get to bed before midnight and I have no real routine that works. Unfortunately I can’t see it changing anytime soon x "

Oh that’s hard, Angie. I know a fair few people who struggle with insomnia and it’s really debilitating. Hugs.

over a year ago

"And you’re right, my stupid brain doesn’t seem to be a fan of switching off "

Your brain.

It’s not stupid.

over a year ago

I think I sleep well. I used to work night's (not any more). No TV in the bedroom. Spent alot of money on a mattress and then more money on a memory foam mattress topper. Blackout curtains and good quality sheets.. Absolutely love my bed

over a year ago

"You simply must stay, you are loved

This is true "

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

Welcome back, beautiful xxx

over a year ago

"You simply must stay, you are loved

This is true

"

I blooming told you.

over a year ago

"I recently read part of a study on sleep showing that 6 hours or less shortens your life and leads to Alzheimer's .

I need to find out who it was by "

Oh blimey! I’m being good to myself and making sure I get a full 8-10hrs each night. It’s amazing how much better it makes you feel. Healthy, happy and holiday-bound!

over a year ago

"And you’re right, my stupid brain doesn’t seem to be a fan of switching off

Your brain.

It’s not stupid. "

Okay. It does stupid shit sometimes though

over a year ago

"I think I sleep well. I used to work night's (not any more). No TV in the bedroom. Spent alot of money on a mattress and then more money on a memory foam mattress topper. Blackout curtains and good quality sheets.. Absolutely love my bed

"

Investing in a good bed and mattress is a wonderful gift to yourself. I adore buying new duvet sets and throws etc.

My friend swears by blackout curtains, I don’t seem to have an issue getting to sleep so I almost prefer not having them so that the natural light (through thinner curtains) wakes me!

over a year ago

"Welcome back, beautiful xxx"

Thank you, lovely. How are you?

over a year ago

"And you’re right, my stupid brain doesn’t seem to be a fan of switching off

Your brain.

It’s not stupid.

Okay. It does stupid shit sometimes though "

over a year ago

"I think I sleep well. I used to work night's (not any more). No TV in the bedroom. Spent alot of money on a mattress and then more money on a memory foam mattress topper. Blackout curtains and good quality sheets.. Absolutely love my bed

Investing in a good bed and mattress is a wonderful gift to yourself. I adore buying new duvet sets and throws etc.

My friend swears by blackout curtains, I don’t seem to have an issue getting to sleep so I almost prefer not having them so that the natural light (through thinner curtains) wakes me!

"

If I woke by natural light I'd be late for work from the end of October . I rely on the alarm. Soft harp music.. It's a gentle start to the day.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I recently read part of a study on sleep showing that 6 hours or less shortens your life and leads to Alzheimer's .

Oh blimey! I’m being good to myself and making sure I get a full 8-10hrs each night. It’s amazing how much better it makes you feel. Healthy, happy and holiday-bound! "

The study also mentioned the current culture or people showing off how much sleep they don't get. And 8 hours + people are not exciting and dynamic enough.

Which is bollox because you're the smart ones. I wish I could get 8 hours a night. I go to bed with good intentions but wake up every 4 hours or so. I'm way better than before my operation but I stil wake up with pain.

I turn over but don't always fall back asleep.

And then some days I'll sleep through 3 alarms and get 12 hours

over a year ago

"My sleep is terrible, I’m a terrible insomniac so cope with on average 5 hours a night. I can’t very often get to bed before midnight and I have no real routine that works. Unfortunately I can’t see it changing anytime soon x

Oh that’s hard, Angie. I know a fair few people who struggle with insomnia and it’s really debilitating. Hugs."

Thank you, you’ll find there’s a fair few of us on the forums the same x

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

My watch records my sleep.

On average I get about 4hrs a night in total, I wake at least twice a night, often awake for an hour each time.

I do have ADHD & could take medication to help but as I wake up ok not tired or feeling I need more sleep I don't use it

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

It’s your snoring that keeps me awake

over a year ago

If I woke by natural light I'd be late for work from the end of October . I rely on the alarm. Soft harp music.. It's a gentle start to the day. "

Ha ha! That is a very good point!

That sounds lovely and wonderfully rousing....

over a year ago

Oh blimey! I’m being good to myself and making sure I get a full 8-10hrs each night. It’s amazing how much better it makes you feel. Healthy, happy and holiday-bound!

The study also mentioned the current culture or people showing off how much sleep they don't get. And 8 hours + people are not exciting and dynamic enough.

Which is bollox because you're the smart ones. I wish I could get 8 hours a night. I go to bed with good intentions but wake up every 4 hours or so. I'm way better than before my operation but I stil wake up with pain.

I turn over but don't always fall back asleep.

And then some days I'll sleep through 3 alarms and get 12 hours "

Ouch! Yes there’s the can’t drop off issues and then that fitful or broken sleep issue. My issue would be the ability to oversleep — but I appreciate that doesn’t sound like to much of a calamity alongside the lack of healthy sleep.

I’m totally unexciting and lacking in dynamism.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"Welcome back, beautiful xxx

Thank you, lovely. How are you? "

Generally not too bad, thanks. A bit spaced out on painkillers today x

over a year ago

"My sleep is terrible, I’m a terrible insomniac so cope with on average 5 hours a night. I can’t very often get to bed before midnight and I have no real routine that works. Unfortunately I can’t see it changing anytime soon x

Oh that’s hard, Angie. I know a fair few people who struggle with insomnia and it’s really debilitating. Hugs.

Thank you, you’ll find there’s a fair few of us on the forums the same x "

There is! That’s what I like about Fab that there’s a community to chatter with at whatever time you log in. I’ve a number of good insomniac friends on here, as I’ve been known to be up late chatting (!) and I’ve always found the sleep issue one that sounds simply horrific to have to contend with. Do you have trouble actually getting to sleep, or is it more everything you have going on that disallows you the chance to try and means you have to get up early again?

over a year ago

"My watch records my sleep.

On average I get about 4hrs a night in total, I wake at least twice a night, often awake for an hour each time.

I do have ADHD & could take medication to help but as I wake up ok not tired or feeling I need more sleep I don't use it "

Nods, that’s the bit I found interesting in the article, the idea that we may underestimate how rested we feel. But we’re definitely all wired differently, I know I’d struggle with only 4hrs. Did you mean that’s all you feel you need, or all you manage to get because you struggle to sleep longer?

over a year ago

"It’s your snoring that keeps me awake "

It’s a snuffle not a snore

over a year ago

"Welcome back, beautiful xxx

Thank you, lovely. How are you?

Generally not too bad, thanks. A bit spaced out on painkillers today x"

Awww, curl up here a while and I’ll make you a hot drink.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/12/17 21:52:48]

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"It’s your snoring that keeps me awake

It’s a snuffle not a snore "

True, snoring would be quieter

over a year ago

I don’t get enough sleep because I stay up too late for the time I get up in the morning. I need to break the habit.

Good to see you back.

By *oxic1998Woman
over a year ago

Belfast

My phone tell me im struggle with my sleep lately.....lol

over a year ago

My sleep is terrible. My young whippersnappers still wake me up and my 5 year old wakes up and is bouncy fresh from 6am onwards, regardless of what time he goes to bed.

Plus i've turned into a very light sleeper.

I suspect (along with my hormones) my tiredness contributes a large part to my general moodiness.

over a year ago

"It’s your snoring that keeps me awake

It’s a snuffle not a snore

True, snoring would be quieter "

over a year ago

"I don’t get enough sleep because I stay up too late for the time I get up in the morning. I need to break the habit.

Good to see you back."

Naughty boy! I’ll put you over my knee.

Thank you (and for your SS message), much appreciated.

over a year ago

"My phone tell me im struggle with my sleep lately.....lol"

How do the phone apps know?

It sounds like magic wizardry to me!

Now off to bed with you...!

over a year ago

"My sleep is terrible. My young whippersnappers still wake me up and my 5 year old wakes up and is bouncy fresh from 6am onwards, regardless of what time he goes to bed.

I suspect (along with my hormones) my tiredness contributes a large part to my general moodiness.

"

It’s amazing how much of an effect it has. I guess it must be important if when we (our ancestors) could be in more fight/flight danger times we still had a significant portion of our day unconscious.

Children, they make it all worth it though, no?

over a year ago

"My sleep is terrible. My young whippersnappers still wake me up and my 5 year old wakes up and is bouncy fresh from 6am onwards, regardless of what time he goes to bed.

It’s amazing how much of an effect it has. I guess it must be important if when we (our ancestors) could be in more fight/flight danger times we still had a significant portion of our day unconscious.

Children, they make it all worth it though, no? "

They do

over a year ago

Children, they make it all worth it though, no?

They do "

Awwww, heart-melters!

over a year ago

Right, I'm off to spend 7hrs in my incredibly comfortable bed. Goodnight all.

over a year ago

"Right, I'm off to spend 7hrs in my incredibly comfortable bed. Goodnight all. "

Goodnight, sleep tight.

Post new Message to Thread