Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Opting out

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This year I have taken the step of saying a big FU to Christmas and almost all it entails. Having spent my first 13 years without celebrating, it never really was a special thing so it’s a relief not to subscribe this year. However as the mum to an 11 year old, I’ve still bought her gifts. She’d probably disown me otherwise.

Anyone else having an ‘unconventional’ holiday season?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes, we are.

Fish and chips for lunch. To the pub for beers. Then we're locking the doors when we get home, draw the curtains and ignore the world.

over a year ago

"Yes, we are.

Fish and chips for lunch. To the pub for beers. Then we're locking the doors when we get home, draw the curtains and ignore the world. "

Absolutely lovely. Enjoy!

over a year ago

Have bought my granddaughter some bits and a couple of books for my son n his gf but that is my Christmas done...I will be home on my own, the same as usual during the day and seeing my fwb in the evening, again, as usual. It all just does my brain in!

over a year ago

"Have bought my granddaughter some bits and a couple of books for my son n his gf but that is my Christmas done...I will be home on my own, the same as usual during the day and seeing my fwb in the evening, again, as usual. It all just does my brain in! "

It’s been irking me more this year than before. The lack of xmas stress is pretty excellent though. I hope you have a wonderful day though.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I live on ma own and have no kids, so can't give two hoots about it to be honest. Can't even see the point in sending cards to people you don't see from one decade to another. When I was on ma own about 12 years ago, I even had cheese & beans on toast for ma dinner

over a year ago

"I live on ma own and have no kids, so can't give two hoots about it to be honest. Can't even see the point in sending cards to people you don't see from one decade to another. When I was on ma own about 12 years ago, I even had cheese & beans on toast for ma dinner "

And you can do it naked! Xmas win!

over a year ago

We only do it for the kids, once they've moved out we won't even do any decs or anything.

over a year ago

Having work done to house, should have been done by Christmas but won't be.

Most decorations I've put up is some fairy lights in the back of the car!

over a year ago

"Yes, we are.

Fish and chips for lunch. To the pub for beers. Then we're locking the doors when we get home, draw the curtains and ignore the world. "

Why??

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"Yes, we are.

Fish and chips for lunch. To the pub for beers. Then we're locking the doors when we get home, draw the curtains and ignore the world.

Why??"

Because she can

over a year ago

"We only do it for the kids, once they've moved out we won't even do any decs or anything."

A good plan as any. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed not erecting the tree! My kid is pretty laid back - she didn’t even notice the tree was absent last year so we decided to go a step further this year. She is happy enough.

By *elloIntrigueMan
over a year ago

North West UK

OP its always a quiet christmas with the folks these days..

over a year ago

"Having work done to house, should have been done by Christmas but won't be.

Most decorations I've put up is some fairy lights in the back of the car! "

Not a complete Scrooge then. Please tell me they’re pink lights.

By *wisted2000Woman
over a year ago

under my rock cleethorpes

I’ve cancelled it this year, I’ll have to do a bit for my child but otherwise nothing more, it’s just not gonna happen, maybe next year will be better

over a year ago

"Yes, we are.

Why??

Because she can "

Do you know them ??

I am genuinely intrigued and not asking to criticise

over a year ago

"I live on ma own and have no kids, so can't give two hoots about it to be honest. Can't even see the point in sending cards to people you don't see from one decade to another. When I was on ma own about 12 years ago, I even had cheese & beans on toast for ma dinner "

I am the same sir. Working xmas eve then down the pub to treat it like a normal night on the Guinness. Following day round the corner to the Indian restaurant for a gorgeous hot curry and cobra. Can’t wait for 27th of December, will be starting the search for holidays.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Most decorations I've put up is some fairy lights in the back of the car! "

I usually just sling a couple of baubles and a piece of tinsel on Yeltsin (he's ma Yucca Tree)

over a year ago

Not a complete Scrooge then. Please tell me they’re pink lights. "

Oh, I am a scrooge, they're the lights I used for my profile!! - so not pink sorry (why pink lights then?)

over a year ago

"I’ve cancelled it this year, I’ll have to do a bit for my child but otherwise nothing more, it’s just not gonna happen, maybe next year will be better "

Whatever our reasons for opting out, this time of year can be a strain on the finances and the emotions. Take it easy on yourself and you’ll have a wonderful day whatever you do. Presence not presents.

over a year ago

"I live on ma own and have no kids, so can't give two hoots about it to be honest. Can't even see the point in sending cards to people you don't see from one decade to another. When I was on ma own about 12 years ago, I even had cheese & beans on toast for ma dinner

I am the same sir. Working xmas eve then down the pub to treat it like a normal night on the Guinness. Following day round the corner to the Indian restaurant for a gorgeous hot curry and cobra. Can’t wait for 27th of December, will be starting the search for holidays. "

Cracking plan.

over a year ago

Not a complete Scrooge then. Please tell me they’re pink lights.

Oh, I am a scrooge, they're the lights I used for my profile!! - so not pink sorry (why pink lights then?) "

I like pink.

over a year ago

"Yes, we are.

Why??"

Because I don't like Christmas. It's that simple.

over a year ago

I usually just sling a couple of baubles and a piece of tinsel on Yeltsin (he's ma Yucca Tree) "

Very festive indeed.

By *r Potato HeadMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I've only ever done one non-Christmas and it was the best one. Spent the day snowboarding and the evening in the hot tub.

Christmas isn't a happy time, too many bad memories of illness and people dying.

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"Yes, we are.

Why??

Because she can

Do you know them ??

I am genuinely intrigued and not asking to criticise "

I don’t know them

But isn’t this the answer to every question

over a year ago

"I've only ever done one non-Christmas and it was the best one. Spent the day snowboarding and the evening in the hot tub.

Christmas isn't a happy time, too many bad memories of illness and people dying."

Hot tub you say?

over a year ago

" I like pink. "

I'll get pink next time I promise

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

I actually volunteered to work on Xmas, so much easier just to say..."srry I can't make it, I am working" to any invites from family and friends...never really bean a big Xmas fan but this year will be even tougher, personal reasons.

By *r Potato HeadMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I've only ever done one non-Christmas and it was the best one. Spent the day snowboarding and the evening in the hot tub.

Christmas isn't a happy time, too many bad memories of illness and people dying.

Hot tub you say?"

You meet some strange people in them.

over a year ago

"I actually volunteered to work on Xmas, so much easier just to say..."srry I can't make it, I am working" to any invites from family and friends...never really bean a big Xmas fan but this year will be even tougher, personal reasons. "

Damn that's good.

Sadly for me, until someone decides they wish to marry on Christmas Day, I have to suffer in silence.

over a year ago

I have done exact same OP. My house is a total Christmas Free zone. No interest at all and looking forward to 27th when its all done and I'm back in work.

over a year ago

"Have bought my granddaughter some bits and a couple of books for my son n his gf but that is my Christmas done...I will be home on my own, the same as usual during the day and seeing my fwb in the evening, again, as usual. It all just does my brain in!

It’s been irking me more this year than before. The lack of xmas stress is pretty excellent though. I hope you have a wonderful day though. "

Yes! Same here...is nice not worrying about everything, all the people in the shops are a pain tho lol. Thanks! Hope you do too!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I usually just sling a couple of baubles and a piece of tinsel on Yeltsin (he's ma Yucca Tree)

Very festive indeed. "

Oh yeah, I like to push the boat out occasionally

I even buy maself a bottle of JD and a chocolate orange

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

o/p that's a shame. I love Christmas and have done since I was a small child. The first one I remember is when I was 3. Mum and Dad always used to save up through the year and make it something special for me and my 2 brothers. Something I will never forget. Thanks Mum and Dad x

over a year ago

"I actually volunteered to work on Xmas, so much easier just to say..."srry I can't make it, I am working" to any invites from family and friends...never really bean a big Xmas fan but this year will be even tougher, personal reasons. "

I worked it last year, it’s pretty fun. I hope it takes your mind off things and makes the day a little easier.

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

It’s one of them things when you have young kids seeing their faces opening presents nothing better but now I hate it but I love 2 weeks off work and seeing a few mates who are back for Christmas and a few beers

over a year ago

"I have done exact same OP. My house is a total Christmas Free zone. No interest at all and looking forward to 27th when its all done and I'm back in work."

Enjoy!

over a year ago

Very festive indeed.

Oh yeah, I like to push the boat out occasionally

I even buy maself a bottle of JD and a chocolate orange "

Nothing says FU xmas like Jack and Terry

over a year ago

"o/p that's a shame. I love Christmas and have done since I was a small child. The first one I remember is when I was 3. Mum and Dad always used to save up through the year and make it something special for me and my 2 brothers. Something I will never forget. Thanks Mum and Dad x"

Family memories like that are awesome.

No shame here though. I’m happy as a pig in sh!t

over a year ago

"It’s one of them things when you have young kids seeing their faces opening presents nothing better but now I hate it but I love 2 weeks off work and seeing a few mates who are back for Christmas and a few beers "

First time in ages I have the time off. Imma gonna enjoy it. Have fun you!

over a year ago

Hot tub you say?

You meet some strange people in them."

Ain’t that the truth. Potatoes don’t float.

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"It’s one of them things when you have young kids seeing their faces opening presents nothing better but now I hate it but I love 2 weeks off work and seeing a few mates who are back for Christmas and a few beers

First time in ages I have the time off. Imma gonna enjoy it. Have fun you!"

Same to you x

over a year ago

Work xmas n boxing day,well attend site sit in digger with heater on,try n get some miles in on bike for strava 500 challenge,look forward to being off in Jan

over a year ago

"Work xmas n boxing day,well attend site sit in digger with heater on,try n get some miles in on bike for strava 500 challenge,look forward to being off in Jan "

Good luck with the challenge and I hope the heater keeps you nice and toasty!

over a year ago

It’s a bit of a different day for me this year, first year I’ve not seen my boys (at their dads) and I haven’t felt that festive to be honest and plus it’s over kill with Christmas at work at the moment and quite frankly I’m already sick of it after putting 5 Christmas trees up in one day last week.

I will be working on the day itself, Ads and I are having lunch at my work and then he is going to be Father Christmas and hand the gifts out to my residents, then we will come home and then just do our usual, watch tv and probably have sex. If I couldn’t have dinner at work we probably wouldn’t bother with all that fuss just for the two of us.

Geeky x

over a year ago

"It’s a bit of a different day for me this year, first year I’ve not seen my boys (at their dads) and I haven’t felt that festive to be honest and plus it’s over kill with Christmas at work at the moment and quite frankly I’m already sick of it after putting 5 Christmas trees up in one day last week.

I will be working on the day itself, Ads and I are having lunch at my work and then he is going to be Father Christmas and hand the gifts out to my residents, then we will come home and then just do our usual, watch tv and probably have sex. If I couldn’t have dinner at work we probably wouldn’t bother with all that fuss just for the two of us.

Geeky x"

You’ll have a marvellous day both of you.

over a year ago

"It’s a bit of a different day for me this year, first year I’ve not seen my boys (at their dads) and I haven’t felt that festive to be honest and plus it’s over kill with Christmas at work at the moment and quite frankly I’m already sick of it after putting 5 Christmas trees up in one day last week.

Geeky x

You’ll have a marvellous day both of you. "

I’m sure we will, I am actually looking forward to not having to cook on the day, massive highlight for me. I’ll do a dinner for the kids when they are here for new year but probably not on the scale I normally do as we are in a shared house so can’t take the kitchen up all day lol xx

over a year ago

Geeky x

You’ll have a marvellous day both of you. "

Oi I was looking for you on here the other day how are you?

Ads

over a year ago

I had a shit year last year with loads of stressful stuff going on but I still made a big deal at Christmas. Same as this year, the shit from last year has spilt into this year but I just deal with it and put it out of my head. Got all the decs up in my living room, hallway, kitchen and my daughters room has a tree and fairy lights everywhere. Will do the xmas eve box again this year and watch a Christmas film xmas eve and get excited with my daughter. It's memories at the end of the day, her excitement rubs off on me so I can't ignore it.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

No decorations up here this year.

My youngest 2 are with their dad this Christmas, going tomorrow not back til the 28th.

Im working everyday apart from Christmas day, I'll be driving to Derbyshire to spend it with my mum.

My shed got trashed in a storm a few months ago, all the decs ruined, so I need to buy everything new.

Seemed a pointless expense if no one here.

over a year ago

"I had a shit year last year with loads of stressful stuff going on but I still made a big deal at Christmas. Same as this year, the shit from last year has spilt into this year but I just deal with it and put it out of my head. Got all the decs up in my living room, hallway, kitchen and my daughters room has a tree and fairy lights everywhere. Will do the xmas eve box again this year and watch a Christmas film xmas eve and get excited with my daughter. It's memories at the end of the day, her excitement rubs off on me so I can't ignore it. "

Making memories! Have a wonderful time

over a year ago

"I had a shit year last year with loads of stressful stuff going on but I still made a big deal at Christmas. Same as this year, the shit from last year has spilt into this year but I just deal with it and put it out of my head. Got all the decs up in my living room, hallway, kitchen and my daughters room has a tree and fairy lights everywhere. Will do the xmas eve box again this year and watch a Christmas film xmas eve and get excited with my daughter. It's memories at the end of the day, her excitement rubs off on me so I can't ignore it.

Making memories! Have a wonderful time"

Hey your parmo has gone cold

over a year ago

"No decorations up here this year.

My youngest 2 are with their dad this Christmas, going tomorrow not back til the 28th.

Im working everyday apart from Christmas day, I'll be driving to Derbyshire to spend it with my mum.

My shed got trashed in a storm a few months ago, all the decs ruined, so I need to buy everything new.

Seemed a pointless expense if no one here.

"

Drive safe and have a lovely time

over a year ago

"I had a shit year last year with loads of stressful stuff going on but I still made a big deal at Christmas. Same as this year, the shit from last year has spilt into this year but I just deal with it and put it out of my head. Got all the decs up in my living room, hallway, kitchen and my daughters room has a tree and fairy lights everywhere. Will do the xmas eve box again this year and watch a Christmas film xmas eve and get excited with my daughter. It's memories at the end of the day, her excitement rubs off on me so I can't ignore it.

Hey your parmo has gone cold "

Always tastes better the morning after

over a year ago

Always tastes better the morning after"

You sure your not a smoggy

over a year ago

Having 6 children and 3 grandchildren opting out has never been an option, though we have downscaled over the years. We don't actually celebrate Christmas, all our shenanigans take part at Yule so Christmas Day is usually spent walking the dog on Brean Sands.

over a year ago

Always tastes better the morning after

You sure your not a smoggy "

By marriage only

over a year ago

Geeky x

You’ll have a marvellous day both of you.

Oi I was looking for you on here the other day how are you?

Ads"

You found me now. I’m good ta.

over a year ago

"Having 6 children and 3 grandchildren opting out has never been an option, though we have downscaled over the years. We don't actually celebrate Christmas, all our shenanigans take part at Yule so Christmas Day is usually spent walking the dog on Brean Sands. "

Sounds marvellous. A family dog walk in the woods is usually our tradition but the dogs will just get a run around the park this year.

over a year ago

"Having 6 children and 3 grandchildren opting out has never been an option, though we have downscaled over the years. We don't actually celebrate Christmas, all our shenanigans take part at Yule so Christmas Day is usually spent walking the dog on Brean Sands.

Sounds marvellous. A family dog walk in the woods is usually our tradition but the dogs will just get a run around the park this year. "

I hope you have a great time.

over a year ago

Off to the Chinese for Xmas lunch then sit at home and watch the tv

I have a tree up with all the trimmings.

Spending Xmas eve with my mum who’s currently in hospital waiting a care home place

By *lackbird1000Woman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I personaly don't like Christmas ! All about materialism! And have people who can't afford a meal! Last year me and my son donated his presents to the hospital and Christmas Day we were in town looking for homeless folk to give them sandwiches . We value more our travels together etc! I am visiting my family but will dinner but nothing special. Thanks for your post sometimes I feel I am the only one! Xx

over a year ago

"Off to the Chinese for Xmas lunch then sit at home and watch the tv

I have a tree up with all the trimmings.

Spending Xmas eve with my mum who’s currently in hospital waiting a care home place "

I hope she gets the place very soon. I wish you both well x

over a year ago

"I personaly don't like Christmas ! All about materialism! And have people who can't afford a meal! Last year me and my son donated his presents to the hospital and Christmas Day we were in town looking for homeless folk to give them sandwiches . We value more our travels together etc! I am visiting my family but will dinner but nothing special. Thanks for your post sometimes I feel I am the only one! Xx"

I do hate an ‘ism’. Don’t get me wrong I do like having stuff but the excesses of Christmas keeping up with the Jones’ is ridiculous. I know a lady who spent £60 on a ball filled with those crappy little plastic balls you get out a machine in arcades. Bonkers.

The charity is heart warming and I hope you and your boy have more wonderful travels x

By *naquest321Man
over a year ago

Carlisle

"This year I have taken the step of saying a big FU to Christmas and almost all it entails. Having spent my first 13 years without celebrating, it never really was a special thing so it’s a relief not to subscribe this year. However as the mum to an 11 year old, I’ve still bought her gifts. She’d probably disown me otherwise.

Anyone else having an ‘unconventional’ holiday season? "

Keep it special for the girl and maybe Santa will fill your stockings.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Football 23rd, 26th and 30th,

Working 28th and 29th!!

Christmas Day - spending with folks

over a year ago

"This year I have taken the step of saying a big FU to Christmas and almost all it entails. Having spent my first 13 years without celebrating, it never really was a special thing so it’s a relief not to subscribe this year. However as the mum to an 11 year old, I’ve still bought her gifts. She’d probably disown me otherwise.

Keep it special for the girl and maybe Santa will fill your stockings. "

She’s really laid back. Special for my girl would be to be left in peace to play her new console and food thrown at her every now and then.

Santa can keep away from my stockings. They weren’t cheap!

over a year ago

"Football 23rd, 26th and 30th,

Working 28th and 29th!!

Christmas Day - spending with folks"

Sorted. Enjoy

over a year ago

I'm the opposite op, not having Christmas as a kid has made me go nuts for it lol

over a year ago

Baaaaaaa humbug

over a year ago

We should all meet in the pub, have a on our own party.

over a year ago

"I'm the opposite op, not having Christmas as a kid has made me go nuts for it lol "

After being a strict JW for yonks my mother turned into Mary Christmas herself. I still just don’t get it. I’ve never been a religious woman so celebrating Jesus’ birthday doesn’t appeal. However, you cant deny a good excuse for family time and a double bank holiday. I hope you have a wonderful time x

over a year ago

"Baaaaaaa humbug "

I quite like mint humbugs

over a year ago

"We should all meet in the pub, have a on our own party."

Pub? Now that I can get onboard with

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

I'm working all Christmas just a shame the pexple I support don't understand or know what day it is

over a year ago

"Baaaaaaa humbug

I quite like mint humbugs"

baaaaaa

over a year ago

"I personaly don't like Christmas ! All about materialism! And have people who can't afford a meal! Last year me and my son donated his presents to the hospital and Christmas Day we were in town looking for homeless folk to give them sandwiches . We value more our travels together etc! I am visiting my family but will dinner but nothing special. Thanks for your post sometimes I feel I am the only one! Xx"

Its not about materialism for us. Its about spending time together and with our family. Relaxing and recharging.

over a year ago

"I'm working all Christmas just a shame the pexple I support don't understand or know what day it is"

I hope you manage a wonderful Christmas _oddy x

over a year ago

Don;t celebrate it at all, no cards, no presents (given or received) pretty much a normal day to me.

I'll see my girlfriend first thing and we'll do ParkRun together and then I'll be home alone all day. I'll cook myself a nice lunch but the nearest I get to festivities is watching Dr Who.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

We aren't opting out, but we spend christmas day, just us two parents and our two kids. We do the 'usual' stuff, but don't feel any pressure to conform to mega gifts, and our kids don't expect them, but we spoil them when we can.

I'm not religous at all, but have enjoyed listening to Father Brian D'Arcy on Radio Two Chris Evans.

He said two things that people could find useful:

'Christmas is about opening hearts, not opening presents'

and

'Christmas is not about getting gifts, but being grateful for what we have'.

I liked that, rounding it off with 'but we don't need to wait for Christmas to do those things'.

Merry Christmas to everyone, no matter how you spend it xx

over a year ago

"I personaly don't like Christmas ! All about materialism! And have people who can't afford a meal! Last year me and my son donated his presents to the hospital and Christmas Day we were in town looking for homeless folk to give them sandwiches . We value more our travels together etc! I am visiting my family but will dinner but nothing special. Thanks for your post sometimes I feel I am the only one! Xx

Its not about materialism for us. Its about spending time together and with our family. Relaxing and recharging. "

Sounds perfect.

over a year ago

I’ve ‘opted out’ of Xmas for the last 5 years. My friends & family mostly still don’t get it. I’m not religious & haven't got kids. I don’t put decs up, send cards or buy presents. I get a nice, peaceful few days off work, I’ll cook, read, nap, watch movies, play chess, potter round the house, go out with friends & get bombed at some point - and it’s lovely! I’m not ‘bah humbug’, I just don’t get any enjoyment out of ‘being Christmassy’!

Looking on social media over the last few years, cards seem to be dying off - there’s a trend for people to donate the cash equivalent of cards, postage etc to charity & send texts or Facebook / snapchat / instagram messages instead which is a great idea & something I’ve done for a long time!

Nice to know there are a few other like minded folks out there!!

M x

over a year ago

"Don;t celebrate it at all, no cards, no presents (given or received) pretty much a normal day to me.

I'll see my girlfriend first thing and we'll do ParkRun together and then I'll be home alone all day. I'll cook myself a nice lunch but the nearest I get to festivities is watching Dr Who.

"

Enjoy!

over a year ago

"... rounding it off with 'but we don't need to wait for Christmas to do those things. "

I definitely can get onboard with that

over a year ago

"I’ve ‘opted out’ of Xmas for the last 5 years. My friends & family mostly still don’t get it. I’m not religious & haven't got kids. I don’t put decs up, send cards or buy presents. I get a nice, peaceful few days off work, I’ll cook, read, nap, watch movies, play chess, potter round the house, go out with friends & get bombed at some point - and it’s lovely! I’m not ‘bah humbug’, I just don’t get any enjoyment out of ‘being Christmassy’!

Looking on social media over the last few years, cards seem to be dying off - there’s a trend for people to donate the cash equivalent of cards, postage etc to charity & send texts or Facebook / snapchat / instagram messages instead which is a great idea & something I’ve done for a long time!

Nice to know there are a few other like minded folks out there!!

M x"

Exactly, we’re not the Grinch. It sounds like a great plan.

over a year ago

5th year of not sllybrating it here lol. I'm gradually making progress as I've not bought myself any xmas presents this year... just got some non traditional organic food in and a couple of bottles of Coffee Tequila to enjoy over a ten day period off work....

I have to ban myself from going to the shops the two weeks leading up to xmas else I get caught up in the shopping fever and spend money on stuff I never knew I wanted till I saw it lol.

Wishing you all a lovely relaxing Winter Solstice break xx

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

My Christmas is always 'unconventional' as I've barely got any family.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

"5th year of not sllybrating it here lol. I'm gradually making progress as I've not bought myself any xmas presents this year... just got some non traditional organic food in and a couple of bottles of Coffee Tequila to enjoy over a ten day period off work....

I have to ban myself from going to the shops the two weeks leading up to xmas else I get caught up in the shopping fever and spend money on stuff I never knew I wanted till I saw it lol.

Wishing you all a lovely relaxing Winter Solstice break xx"

Can't personally message you...

Just wanted to ask, are you the one in red stockings on the bed?

If so, I love your build & curves

By *yldstyleWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

I am not a fan of Christmas. I do it purely for my boys. I don't have the money to even attempt to keep up with the jones and short of 3-or 4 other gifts I'll only buy for my boys.

There's so much pressure and I do worry I let them down but hopefully they all now understand the cost of things and won't feel disappointed with the gifts they get.

We don't have much family or a big circle. The pics of piles of gifts on Facebook are quite scary and seem to be some sort of contest!

over a year ago

My Christmas is always 'unconventional' as I've barely got any family. "

You’re welcome to some of mine. Just watch the smaller ones. They’re little rascals.

Seriously though, There’s a lot to be said for friendship this time of year. You don’t have to be related to be family.

over a year ago

"5th year of not sllybrating it here lol. I'm gradually making progress as I've not bought myself any xmas presents this year... just got some non traditional organic food in and a couple of bottles of Coffee Tequila to enjoy over a ten day period off work....

Wishing you all a lovely relaxing Winter Solstice break xx"

Yes. A shopping habit can get pricey but it’s nice to treat yourself. I wish you the best.

over a year ago

"I am not a fan of Christmas. I do it purely for my boys. I don't have the money to even attempt to keep up with the jones and short of 3-or 4 other gifts I'll only buy for my boys.

There's so much pressure and I do worry I let them down but hopefully they all now understand the cost of things and won't feel disappointed with the gifts they get.

We don't have much family or a big circle. The pics of piles of gifts on Facebook are quite scary and seem to be some sort of contest! "

Ah the great Christmas Facebook Faceoff. It’s not for me either. My friends sister goes big every year. Posts pictures of the huge L shaped couches covered in immaculately wrapped presents. Piles of the things. I stopped thinking it was cute when I was told her children are 24 and 19.

over a year ago

"

Yes I am the one in the stockings... curvy chick here love lol x... Thanks for the lovely feedback xx

over a year ago

Yes. A shopping habit can get pricey but it’s nice to treat yourself. I wish you the best. "

All the very best to you too lovely xxx

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm usually back overseas but have been overloaded - I'm now looking for a peaceful escape, where there are no celebrations related to a religion I don't believe in.

over a year ago

"I'm usually back overseas but have been overloaded - I'm now looking for a peaceful escape, where there are no celebrations related to a religion I don't believe in. "

Halleloo!

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I'm mostly working - Farming doesn't stop at Christmas.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I'm usually back overseas but have been overloaded - I'm now looking for a peaceful escape, where there are no celebrations related to a religion I don't believe in. "

Try Morocco. Agadir is my fave. The weather is great, slightly further south than the Canaries & unlikely to be overly xmassy! Cape Verde is pricy but good weather & not too child friendly

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

"I'm usually back overseas but have been overloaded - I'm now looking for a peaceful escape, where there are no celebrations related to a religion I don't believe in.

Try Morocco. Agadir is my fave. The weather is great, slightly further south than the Canaries & unlikely to be overly xmassy! Cape Verde is pricy but good weather & not too child friendly "

Agadir is north of the Canaries.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Yes I am the one in the stockings... curvy chick here love lol x... Thanks for the lovely feedback xx"

You're most welcome.

If I was able to message you and lived further south, I'd be trying to tempt you...

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Try Morocco. Agadir is my fave. The weather is great, slightly further south than the Canaries & unlikely to be overly xmassy! Cape Verde is pricy but good weather & not too child friendly

"

Either way, Black Lace liked it so much they wrote a smash hit about the place

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

"

Either way, Black Lace liked it so much they wrote a smash hit about the place "

Lol

over a year ago

Not quite full on Xmas in my house, no tree, no decs, no cards displayed or sent, though we do have a Xmas dinner it's all cheated and ready prepared stuff that requires minimum effort, some years I give presents some I don't, some years I buy them and some years I make them. All depends on how I feel that year on the present side.

My problem is it all starts so early I'm absolutely fed up with it come Xmas. One year I even wrapped the presents that were given and received in my house in newspaper as it was going straight in the fire!! The magic goes when you're older and no kids around.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

My children now have families of their own and my closest relative lives abroad. My other half loathes Christmas with a passion: orphan, only child, no relatives so he's not one for Christmas cheer.

This year apart from spending the entire day together it will be like any other day, not even a roast dinner.

This will be my first and last (hopefully) Christmas without a member of my family. My sister and I are planning a family holiday somewhere hot for 2018.

Regardless...I love Christmas time.

over a year ago

Not quite full on Xmas in my house, no tree, no decs, no cards displayed or sent, though we do have a Xmas dinner it's all cheated and ready prepared stuff that requires minimum effort, some years I give presents some I don't, some years I buy them and some years I make them. All depends on how I feel that year on the present side.

My problem is it all starts so early I'm absolutely fed up with it come Xmas. One year I even wrapped the presents that were given and received in my house in newspaper as it was going straight in the fire!! The magic goes when you're older and no kids around."

I love Christmas and the weeks leading up to it. Round about now I'm bored of it as I've been doing Christmas stuff for nearly 4 weeks. It's what you make it. Only one more week till it's over.

over a year ago

"I'm mostly working - Farming doesn't stop at Christmas. "

Make sure no one sneaks in the stable

over a year ago

My problem is it all starts so early I'm absolutely fed up with it come Xmas. One year I even wrapped the presents that were given and received in my house in newspaper as it was going straight in the fire!! The magic goes when you're older and no kids around."

Ooh I’d love a real fire.

For me there never was any magic and I guess people may think that’s sad but it’s just something I never understood.

over a year ago

My problem is it all starts so early I'm absolutely fed up with it come Xmas. One year I even wrapped the presents that were given and received in my house in newspaper as it was going straight in the fire!! The magic goes when you're older and no kids around.

I love Christmas and the weeks leading up to it. Round about now I'm bored of it as I've been doing Christmas stuff for nearly 4 weeks. It's what you make it. Only one more week till it's over. "

Have a wonderful time. You put the effort in and will reap the rewards.

over a year ago

"My children now have families of their own and my closest relative lives abroad. My other half loathes Christmas with a passion: orphan, only child, no relatives so he's not one for Christmas cheer.

This year apart from spending the entire day together it will be like any other day, not even a roast dinner.

This will be my first and last (hopefully) Christmas without a member of my family. My sister and I are planning a family holiday somewhere hot for 2018.

Regardless...I love Christmas time. "

I hope you manage to make it a lovely day all the same. Your 2018 plans are perfect. I’d love to follow suit.

over a year ago

I hate shitmas...I had intended to join my partner in Turkey for a few weeks but that went tits up...one of my best friends and I are having an anti-Xmas

over a year ago

"I hate shitmas...I had intended to join my partner in Turkey for a few weeks but that went tits up...one of my best friends and I are having an anti-Xmas "

I wish you a wonderful anti-Xmas

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

[Removed by poster at 17/12/17 14:22:45]

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I hate shitmas...I had intended to join my partner in Turkey for a few weeks but that went tits up...one of my best friends and I are having an anti-Xmas "

You're supposed to eat the turkey, not get in it

over a year ago

I'd like too but it's the first without my old man so have to be there with mum..it's not gonna be a kind day to her.

He was mad about shooting so gonna raid the freezer for game and make a sort of memory dinner sort of thing, sort of feeding us from beyond the grave!

On a normal year I tend to give the most of it a bit of a wide berth

over a year ago

That's the most times I've ever put the word 'sort' into a sentence

over a year ago

"I'd like too but it's the first without my old man so have to be there with mum..it's not gonna be a kind day to her.

He was mad about shooting so gonna raid the freezer for game and make a sort of memory dinner sort of thing, sort of feeding us from beyond the grave!

On a normal year I tend to give the most of it a bit of a wide berth "

That’s a wonderful idea. Lots of love to you all x

over a year ago

"I'd like too but it's the first without my old man so have to be there with mum..it's not gonna be a kind day to her.

That’s a wonderful idea. Lots of love to you all x"

It's not perfect, but it's something. I'm hoping it's gonna mark the end of a piss poor year mainly and usher in a better one..that's my main focus. It'll just happen to have tinsel involved

over a year ago

That’s a wonderful idea. Lots of love to you all x

It's not perfect, but it's something. I'm hoping it's gonna mark the end of a piss poor year mainly and usher in a better one..that's my main focus. It'll just happen to have tinsel involved "

Family is always worth your focus. If you need a cheerleader then Mac is here waving her pom poms. You’re doing great Christos x

over a year ago

We have children and the whole family get together. We couldn't imagine not being together on Christmas Day. It's not about the gifts, it's about sornding quality times with loved ones.

I find it extremely sad for those people who say it's 'just another day' and for those people who willingly choose to spend it on their own.

Perhaps they don't understand the full meaning of Christmas.

over a year ago

Big family Christmas . I don’t mind the dinner part but would much rather spend the evening having great sex instead of playing stupid games!!!

An the kid is 15, abuses my debit card an we call it Christmas

Who mentioned a hot tub? An who mentioned a holiday??? Lol

over a year ago

"We have children and the whole family get together. We couldn't imagine not being together on Christmas Day. It's not about the gifts, it's about sornding quality times with loved ones.

I find it extremely sad for those people who say it's 'just another day' and for those people who willingly choose to spend it on their own.

Perhaps they don't understand the full meaning of Christmas. "

... Or perhaps they’re just not as lucky as you.

I have lots of wonderful friends & could choose one of 10 people to go & spend the day with. However as an only child, since I lost my parents 5 years ago, spending Christmas with someone else’s family, no matter how close we are, is a bitter reminder that I no longer have my own family to spend the day with.

I spend the day at home on my own as the two people I would choose to spend it with are no longer here. I don’t really do anything Christmassy, other than buy a load of cheese and a bottle of Dad’s favourite port. When I do see friends in the days after Xmas or around new year, we have a fantastic time, just as we do when we get together any other time of the year.

For me, what’s sad is that people judge us ‘opt outers’ without understanding how Christmas feels from our perspective. What’s sad is having to explain that, thanks to a wonderful childhood with wonderful parents, I fully understand the meaning of Christmas. But what’s really sad knowing I will never experience a Christmas like that again.

over a year ago

"I'm usually back overseas but have been overloaded - I'm now looking for a peaceful escape, where there are no celebrations related to a religion I don't believe in.

"

D’ya know, even though I’ve been to Agadir twice, I actually thought it was just below - never was any good at geography!! x

over a year ago

"We have children and the whole family get together. We couldn't imagine not being together on Christmas Day. It's not about the gifts, it's about sornding quality times with loved ones.

I have lots of wonderful friends & could choose one of 10 people to go & spend the day with. However as an only child, since I lost my parents 5 years ago, spending Christmas with someone else’s family, no matter how close we are, is a bitter reminder that I no longer have my own family to spend the day with.

I spend the day at home on my own as the two people I would choose to spend it with are no longer here. I don’t really do anything Christmassy, other than buy a load of cheese and a bottle of Dad’s favourite port. When I do see friends in the days after Xmas or around new year, we have a fantastic time, just as we do when we get together any other time of the year.

For me, what’s sad is that people judge us ‘opt outers’ without understanding how Christmas feels from our perspective. What’s sad is having to explain that, thanks to a wonderful childhood with wonderful parents, I fully understand the meaning of Christmas. But what’s really sad knowing I will never experience a Christmas like that again."

What does luck have to do with it? Many of us have lost people who we love. It's all down to personal choice. You said yourself you choose to spend the day alone. That's obviously what you feel you want to do.

over a year ago

Genuine question from someone who is pretty much ignorant to this. What is the true meaning of Christmas. Can you do it without shitting tinsel and spending too much money?

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I feel genuinely sad for some of the situations in here. I love Christmas, it's a great time to see family who I haven't seen much over the year, get together and share good food and drink.

I'm not a fan of the Facebook present photos and the showing off. But like someone said, it's about memories, I have great memories of Christmases past and love everything about it.

And I want my child to enjoy these times too.

Having it associated with loss for some is really unfortunate. I wish everyone could enjoy and feel the Christmas spirit like I do. I know some will think that's patronising but I really do.

over a year ago

For me, what’s sad is that people judge us ‘opt outers’ without understanding how Christmas feels from our perspective. What’s sad is having to explain that, thanks to a wonderful childhood with wonderful parents, I fully understand the meaning of Christmas. But what’s really sad knowing I will never experience a Christmas like that again.

What does luck have to do with it? Many of us have lost people who we love. It's all down to personal choice. You said yourself you choose to spend the day alone. That's obviously what you feel you want to do. "

I didn’t say I choose to spend it alone. I spend it alone because that is the least painful way of getting through the day.

If you get to spend the day with the people you want to, then you’re lucky. Not everyone can do that, for a variety of reasons.

That doesn’t mean I don’t understand what Christmas is all about

over a year ago

What does luck have to do with it? Many of us have lost people who we love. It's all down to personal choice. You said yourself you choose to spend the day alone. That's obviously what you feel you want to do.

I didn’t say I choose to spend it alone. I spend it alone because that is the least painful way of getting through the day.

If you get to spend the day with the people you want to, then you’re lucky. Not everyone can do that, for a variety of reasons.

That doesn’t mean I don’t understand what Christmas is all about"

Some people who I mostly want to spend the day with, I can't as they are no longer here. But I know they would be absolutely livid with me if I didn't enjoy Christmas Day. So I remember them with smiles and tears and stay positive for those who are still here and hopefully make more wonderful memories.

I appreciate we are all different though and cope with difficulties in our own ways.

over a year ago

"Genuine question from someone who is pretty much ignorant to this. What is the true meaning of Christmas. Can you do it without shitting tinsel and spending too much money?"

It’s different to everyone. To some people, it’s the religious aspect. To others, it’s the excitement of sharing gifts. For me, it’s always been about being with the most important people in your life, enjoying each other’s company & creating amazing memories. Being somewhere you feel relaxed, with the people who you are just yourself with and feel totally at home around.

And shitting tinsel & spending money is definitely optional - I’ve had christmasses as a kid when my folks didn’t have a pot to pee in, I got 2nd hand or home made pressies, decs were home made, paper chains, holly from the garden, candles. Dinner was a basic roast & a soufflé but Mum always made it seem special - then we’d play games, read, watch a film on tv, wear paper hats out of cheap crackers and laugh at Dad when he fell asleep in the armchair. And they were as good (if not better) than Christmasses when they had money & tried to make up for it & spoiled me rotten!

over a year ago

"

That doesn’t mean I don’t understand what Christmas is all about

Some people who I mostly want to spend the day with, I can't as they are no longer here. But I know they would be absolutely livid with me if I didn't enjoy Christmas Day. So I remember them with smiles and tears and stay positive for those who are still here and hopefully make more wonderful memories.

I appreciate we are all different though and cope with difficulties in our own ways. "

That’s certainly true - & I’m sure if I still had any family to spend the day with, it would be different. But spending the day in the middle of someone else’s family Christmas is actually a very lonely place to be. More so than being at home with my kitties, my memories and my bottle of Dad’s favourite Port to go with the ridiculous amounts of cheese that I’ll have bought!

over a year ago

That's a shame about you not celebrating Xmas when you were little. Shame your daughter will experience the same x

over a year ago

Happy Christmas

over a year ago

"Genuine question from someone who is pretty much ignorant to this. What is the true meaning of Christmas. Can you do it without shitting tinsel and spending too much money?"

A pagan festival to celebrate the days starting to get longer and to gird loins ready for the hard weather ahead.

Good to see so much judgement in the thread. Very christmassy.

over a year ago

"Genuine question from someone who is pretty much ignorant to this. What is the true meaning of Christmas. Can you do it without shitting tinsel and spending too much money?

A pagan festival to celebrate the days starting to get longer and to gird loins ready for the hard weather ahead.

Good to see so much judgement in the thread. Very christmassy."

Thanks for that. ‘Gird loins’ is a wonderful phrase.

I don’t think people mean to judge in all honesty. They just get so passionate about Christmas that they can’t see the wood for the trees. Just a thread about alternatives isn’t the best place for it. Some people have genuinely opened their hearts here and that sometimes takes an awful lot of courage.

over a year ago

"Genuine question from someone who is pretty much ignorant to this. What is the true meaning of Christmas. Can you do it without shitting tinsel and spending too much money?

Good to see so much judgement in the thread. Very christmassy.

Thanks for that. ‘Gird loins’ is a wonderful phrase.

I don’t think people mean to judge in all honesty. They just get so passionate about Christmas that they can’t see the wood for the trees. Just a thread about alternatives isn’t the best place for it. Some people have genuinely opened their hearts here and that sometimes takes an awful lot of courage. "

I think they do. But hey. Christianity is all about hypocrisy.

And yes, you're right about people opening their hearts. It's good to know I'm not the only one that'll be having an unconventional Christmas and I'm sure lots of others feel the same. Good thread

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

I think a big part of the ‘true meaning of Christmas’ bringing families together is it’s comforting for people to have society tell them to get together and try be considerate to one another.

Naturally there’s nothing preventing them doing this at any other time of year, but without the lights and tinsel to remind them it doesn’t occur to them it’s an option.

over a year ago

I now live on my own after a divorce, but my tree is up, lights on, for me it’s all about my memories when I was a kid, nothing but pure happiness and excitement at Xmas, from helping Mom put the tree up, helping Dad fix the lights (every year!), looking through the TV Times at all the films I planned to watch, Advent calendars, mince pies, presents, James Bond, eating all day long, falling asleep! I love Xmas and my kids will do too when they’re older cause their Mom and Dad did as well.

Post new Message to Thread