Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Grammar

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than a ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Grammar will be more important to some than it is to others. I don't care much really and my own grammar isn't up to scratch. I think though that there's a point at which it becomes difficult to understand what's been written, then its important.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Couldn't give a fuck about anyone's spelling or grammar. Seems so petty that so many are though!

over a year ago

"Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than a ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it? "

I think grammer gives an insight into the person using it.

Some people are attracted to the educated and intelligent more than looks. It's about a whole connection.

Celestine x

By *ammyharrogateWoman
over a year ago

Harrogate

I have found some messages hard to read with bad grammar and spelling. One guy sent two messages and my head hurt

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

"I have found some messages hard to read with bad grammar and spelling. One guy sent two messages and my head hurt "

This is it. When it’s so bad you can’t understand what they mean then yes it’s important and yes occasionally we get messages like this.

over a year ago

"Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than a ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it? "

Sometimesgrammermattersalotasitshsrdtoreadamessagewithoutit

(Sometimes, grammar matters a lot. As it is hard to read a message without it.)

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than a ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it?

Some people are attracted to the educated and intelligent more than looks. It's about a whole connection.

Celestine x"

I think the same about grammar.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

After being here for years I've come to the conclusion that most of those who say grammar matters to them to such an extent that they will reject people because of it are actually amongst the most ignorant and uneducated oh here. It's like having the biggest car. They think it's a reflection of how wonderful they are.

If someone can talk on the phone and we banter, what would I care if he didn't enter for the Fab Pulitzer ?

over a year ago

I hate text speak and (not that I get any! ) any messages sent lyk dis wud put me ov big tym. it's not difficult to string a half decent sentence together and a few spelling mistakes really doesn't bother me. Conversing like a chav does, however!

By *eviantdeliteWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than a ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it?

Celestine x"

this

By *eviantdeliteWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I hate text speak and (not that I get any! ) any messages sent lyk dis wud put me ov big tym. it's not difficult to string a half decent sentence together and a few spelling mistakes really doesn't bother me. Conversing like a chav does, however! "

Totally get this....I would really question whether someone that messaged me like this would actually turn me on....

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Personally, I would have thought that anybody sending a message on here with the view to sparking a connection, would really "make an effort" to impress on every level... apparently not everyone thinks the same way.

Cal

over a year ago

Lazy grammar equals lazy person?

over a year ago

"Is grammar important when messaging? I don’t see why there is fuss. Surely a hot man with bad grammar is better than an ugly man with ok grammar? I don’t get it?

I think grammar gives an insight into the person using it.

Celestine x"

I strictly go for a decent level of grammar when I contact a local man.

To the point that if there is no use of capitalization of their locality I just skip them! Yes, that is Grammar Nazi for you, I admit it!

It is not as much about punctuation or spelling, it is more about coherence and that they have made an effort of communicating about themselves, or what they are looking for.

I suppose the Original Poster refer to 'ugly' as something exterior? Or a photo? I genuinely could not care less! It is, as Celestine says, about level of education and intelligence. That wins me over!

Hence, there is another advantage for me meeting people offline, and not here: I get to let go of my own preconceptions and just meet the person for who they are, for who I have in front of me in that moment! Real Life beats everything!

over a year ago

(Sometimes, grammar matters a lot. As it is hard to read a message without it.) "

Surelythatspunctuationnotgrammar

over a year ago

I don't mind if someone isn't top of Literacy class. I met a man from Facebook, years ago, who had written a book. In person he could barely string a sentence together.

over a year ago

Some people won't like this comment but god grammar is important to us. Obviously it doesn't have to be perfect but some people just don't have a clue.

Grammar and punctuation makes a huge difference to some sentences....

The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your Uncle jack off a horse.

over a year ago

"Some people won't like this comment but god grammar is important to us. Obviously it doesn't have to be perfect but some people just don't have a clue.

Grammar and punctuation makes a huge difference to some sentences....

The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your Uncle jack off a horse."

** good grammar, oh the irony lol

over a year ago

I find it terribly amusing when someone calls out another over spelling or grammar, and on checking their profile, find it littered with mistakes.

It's an age old topic here, as regular as the changing of the seasons.

When we're meeting, we're here to shag with hot folk. Not pass an English exam.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"I hate text speak and (not that I get any! ) any messages sent lyk dis wud put me ov big tym. it's not difficult to string a half decent sentence together and a few spelling mistakes really doesn't bother me. Conversing like a chav does, however! "

This!

I'm dyslexic, but I always make an effort to write correctly, occasionally my phone takes over & odd words pop in without me noticing.

I not a grammar Nazi, but I can't abide the constant use of text talk, and if punctuation isn't used, so something reads as one continuous sentence, then I struggle to read it, and that would put me off.

over a year ago

The written word is important online, it’s the initial way a person portrays themselves, can be an instantaneous make or break.

If I can’t read / understand the message / forum post, I’ll skip by that and onto the next.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 08:16:10]

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

"Lazy grammar equals lazy person? "

In the case of using text speak it also equals immature person.

over a year ago

I would never judge a book by its cover but I would definitely judge a Lover by their handwriting

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

It's the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

over a year ago

i chauffeur quite a few entrapaneurs who's spelling isn't great..

one even addresses me as Steev on my brown envelope

over a year ago

shows whether they are educated also if any thoughts gone into message ,its an advert you should care about how you come across,opportunities should not be squandered for many

over a year ago

(Sometimes, grammar matters a lot. As it is hard to read a message without it.)

Surelythatspunctuationnotgrammar"

Yes, I was too lazy to write enough for grammar to show as badly, however the message about poor grasp of the written language and the effect on comprehension was very obvious by missing punctuation, and spacing.

over a year ago

By all means, choose who you want to interact with on here, using what ever preferences you like. If poor grammar or spelling doesn't float your boat, that's ok, just move on.

When you feel that wound up by it, that you have to post about it, little chinks in your armour start to develop and we all get a glimpse of your neurosis and superiority complex.

None of us is perfect, it's part of the human condition!

We all have the rite to exist, imperfections and all, with out someone, who thinks they're a better person because they know the correct way to use apostrophe's and exclamation marks or, all the exceptions to the i before the e rule etc, constantly pointing it out and trying to make those not so good at it feel small! I doubt you are perfect your self in all aspects of life. Try and be a bit more tolerant and understanding.

With out that person with the poor grammar and terrible spelling, your life certainly wouldn't run as smoothly as it does!

If you don't want to fuck them, that's fine but, don't moan about them!

over a year ago

It's personal choice at the end of the day.

No way is wrong, if you like good grammar or not.

I do think it's more about what people say than if they've missed out an apostrophe.

By *r C Miss CCouple
over a year ago

llanelli

Yes and no. It depends on the person you're messaging i suppose. I couldn't care less for it. To be honest. As long as we get the jist of whats being said, then. It doesn't really matter. We are not looking to spend the rest of our lives with people we meet on here. So we give zero fucks about other peoples grammar

By *uciyassMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Gramma. I tink I love read good propa massages and it does make me so horny cuz I no it turn me up all da time

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Although I ensure the grammar and punctuation of my messages is as impeccable as I can achieve, barring getting screwed by my autocarrot, I am not particularly concerned if someone else's is not perfect..

It does annoy me when there are those threads bemoaning others poor grammar in almost a name and shame manner. I find it slightly distasteful and degrading for those who may feel it is aimed at themselves.

Just accept people for what they are, fab is a cross section of society and as such is not exclusive to those that did well academically in English, neither should we assume poor grammar means a lack of education? Who here is able to understand a single thing their GP writes!!!

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Another day another grammar police thread.

Most here are not writing War and Peace but trying to communicate in possibly the only way they know how; or in the only way they may be able too.

Can I suggest a that the grammar police take a moment and go look up the definition of...

Tolerance....

over a year ago

Can't we all just get along.

It seems most forum threads these days quickly descend into us and them arguments.

I am sure that this would not happen if the mode of communication was face to face and not via a screen.

Peace, love and respect to all.

over a year ago

" (...) When you feel that wound up by it, that you have to post about it, little chinks in your armour start to develop and we all get a glimpse of your neurosis and superiority complex."

Ouch!

But I can't deny it, I do think that there's something about your point here. Luckily, even us amateur Grammar Nazis are allowed our human flaws!

There's always room for personal development!

over a year ago

"I am sure that this would not happen if the mode of communication was face to face and not via a screen."
That's what I said!

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

For couples and women, the bottom line is we get tons of messages from men. If someones grammar is all over the place, they come across as a bit thick and that puts us off.

They may not be thick, but we need some filters...

over a year ago

Depends what you're looking for. If someone has absolutely zero ability to wrote a cohesive message, then no matter how hot they are we're likely gonna struggle exchanging enough messages to ever meet the person, and will likely therefore not bother.

You don't have to be a scholar, just be proficient enough to be understood without needing your message read through five times, as no grammar seriously ruins the tone of a message too and could end up looking bad anyway.

over a year ago

"Can't we all just get along.

It seems most forum threads these days quickly descend into us and them arguments.

I am sure that this would not happen if the mode of communication was face to face and not via a screen.

Peace, love and respect to all."

Because everyone, us included, has their own bias and agendas. No one wants to feel excluded, so people align themselves (subconsciously) with those they feel share value and qualities they either have it admire.

They then defend these ideologies.

over a year ago

I've said this before and I'll say it again: My friend uses txt spk, and abridged sentences; he has a degree in English at Oxford University and works for the BBC news.

over a year ago

"I am sure that this would not happen if the mode of communication was face to face and not via a screen.That's what I said!

"

Sorry if I am guilty of plagiarism, it was unintentional.

over a year ago

Depends what you're looking for. If someone has absolutely zero ability to wrote a cohesive message, then no matter how hot they are we're likely gonna struggle exchanging enough messages to ever meet the person, and will likely therefore not bother.

You don't have to be a scholar, just be proficient enough to be understood without needing your message read through five times, as no grammar seriously ruins the tone of a message too and could end up looking bad anyway."

Do you mean coherent?

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Yes it's important as long as guys don't over exaggerate ( which many do ) . Many try to impress with over complicated sentences and unnecessary long words . Just my opinion

By *orseydaveMan
over a year ago

Norwich NR5

Gives a clue on the type of person you might be meeting.

In my experience a correctly spelt message, with good grammer and substance to the message tells me alot about a person.

Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs" says to me "theirs a pitball in the hallway, disused sofa on the front garden, jeremy kyle is the family hero and sunday best means clean trekies !

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Gives a clue on the type of person you might be meeting.

In my experience a correctly spelt message, with good grammer and substance to the message tells me alot about a person.

Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs" says to me "theirs a pitball in the hallway, disused sofa on the front garden, jeremy kyle is the family hero and sunday best means clean trekies !"

What's a pitball? ?

over a year ago

" ... Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs" "

They even call you Mrs? I never get that in my messages!

over a year ago

" (...) When you feel that wound up by it, that you have to post about it, little chinks in your armour start to develop and we all get a glimpse of your neurosis and superiority complex.

Ouch!

But I can't deny it, I do think that there's something about your point here. Luckily, even us amateur Grammar Nazis are allowed our human flaws!

There's always room for personal development!

"

Absolutely!

Grammar is important and, I think it's fine to use it as a filter. Not so cool to make a point about how useless one views others who aren't so good at something.

I think some people's personal development programs should concentrate more on the self and less on others and, perhaps include a little more tolerance and a lot less criticism.

I my self am a work in progress!

over a year ago

yes grammar and looks are importuned on here

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

" ... Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs"

They even call you Mrs? I never get that in my messages! "

I do believe that was in the form the question "would you care to procreate with my good lady wife" but I do believe he intended it to say "madam, would you care to procreate in a safe manner, with oneself?"

I can see where poor punctuation could cause a level of confusion...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 13:43:18]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 13:43:18]"

No, cohesive was correct, it should have just been followed by sentance not message.

Explanation:

"Coherence is based more on the logic of the ideas and how they are presented rather than on the language that is used to express these ideas. "Cohesion" refers to the degree to which sentences (or even different parts of one sentence) are connected so that the flow of ideas is easy to follow."

If I get lost reading a message due to its lack of clear structure, I switch off. Admittedly I shouldn't have used the word message instead of sentance though haha.

over a year ago

What about spelling grammar correctly?

Celestine x"

over a year ago

How many folk would be moaning if; Tom Hardy, Idris Elba were actually Dyslexic?

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 13:43:18]

No, cohesive was correct, it should have just been followed by sentance not message.

"

No, it should have been followed by sentence.

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 13:43:18]

No, it should have been followed by sentence. "

Clearly I've typed this wrong enough times that my suggestion is wrong hahaha. Silly me. Touchè.

By *exymidscouple2017Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Totally agree with you there. Plus I feel it's a sign of immaturity *mrs

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Some are into GILF.

Grammar-i-like (to)-fuck.

over a year ago

If a woman messaged me and said "i wont ta suk yer dick dash"

Should i.....

A. Say"sorry but your grammar is bad,no thanks".....or

B."get those luscious red shiny lips around my throbbing cock"

over a year ago

"If a woman messaged me and said "i wont ta suk yer dick dash"

Should i.....

B."get those luscious red shiny lips around my throbbing cock""

Never been that lucky so I cannot help you with you quandary.

over a year ago

"If a woman messaged me and said "i wont ta suk yer dick dash"

Should i.....

B."get those luscious red shiny lips around my throbbing cock""

Depends. If you were part of a couple, and a guy said "ay fela Ur girl is gawjus fancy letin her cum and suk my jucy cock?"

Who's you want her anywhere near him?

If you'd be bothered in those circumstances, but not in the one you mentioned, then maybe it's just that you value quantity over quality when it comes to your own pleasure.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

So much ignorance it really is quite sad

over a year ago

If I can understand what they've written I don't mind..I'm not that poncy

over a year ago

Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs" says to me "theirs a pitball in the hallway, disused sofa on the front garden, jeremy kyle is the family hero and sunday best means clean trekies ! What's a pitball? ? "

Its a staffy type dog that is brilliant at playing football!

over a year ago

Bad grammar isn't an issue as we all have different levels of ability.

But, what we can't stand is text talk, it can take more effort decifering a simple sentence than is needed.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Text talk, poor spelling and "wana fuck me mrs" says to me "theirs a pitball in the hallway, disused sofa on the front garden, jeremy kyle is the family hero and sunday best means clean trekies !"

Does it tell you to NOT meet with them because you bat for the other side.

Seriously, this message is a prime example of someone who cannot write English calling others out.

Allow me.

It gives a clue to the type of person you might meet. In my experience a correctly spelt message,with good grammar and substance,tells me a lot about a person.

Text talk, poor spelling and 'Wana fuck me Mrs?' suggests to me, there is a pit bull in the hallway, a disused sofa in the front garden, Jeremy Kyle is the family hero and Sunday-best means clean trackies!

You're so un-fuckable now.

over a year ago

I really miss my grammar

She made amazing roast dinners and her soda stream was the best

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I really miss my grammar

She made amazing roast dinners and her soda stream was the best "

Are soda streams rude ?

over a year ago

She made amazing roast dinners and her soda stream was the best

Are soda streams rude ?"

My grammars wasn’t

over a year ago

She made amazing roast dinners and her soda stream was the best "

Hahah that's gold!

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

For those of us who are ugly, good grammar is all we’ve got

over a year ago

"How many folk would be moaning if; Tom Hardy, Idris Elba were actually Dyslexic?"

Being dyslexic and using bad grammar are two completely different things.

over a year ago

For those of us who are ugly, good grammar is all we’ve got "

ROLF!

I like your thinking! And I can identify with it too!

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Op, made a stand, and left in protest at the bad grammar.

over a year ago

"How many folk would be moaning if; Tom Hardy, Idris Elba were actually Dyslexic?

Being dyslexic and using bad grammar are two completely different things."

I have dyslexia and struggle massively with gramma and spellings. The amount of profiles you see moaning “dont contact if you dont no the diffrence between your you’re ect, who cares doesnt make that person any less attractive in my eyes!!!

over a year ago

Not part of the Grammar Police, we all miss mistakes or bloody auto correct catches us out, but there's nothing wrong with making a concerted effort though. But for those that won't or can't see your efforts, sod 'em, probably not worth meeting anyway if they're that up themselves.

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

For those of us who are ugly, good grammar is all we’ve got

ROLF!

I like your thinking! And I can identify with it too!"

That's me too. Actually not quite the only thing I've got.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

I always enjoy visualising a grammar nazi meeting someone in a club, and having an awesome night. To then receive a misspelt, grammar crash of a message the next day

By *LT22Man
over a year ago

Teddington

Agreed.

over a year ago

If you all spoke proper like what I do it wouldn't be such a fucking problem!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"If you all spoke proper like what I do it wouldn't be such a fucking problem!"

Shouldn't that be speaked proper?

over a year ago

I’m grammer police

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"How many folk would be moaning if; Tom Hardy, Idris Elba were actually Dyslexic?

Being dyslexic and using bad grammar are two completely different things.

I have dyslexia and struggle massively with gramma and spellings. The amount of profiles you see moaning “dont contact if you dont no the diffrence between your you’re ect, who cares doesnt make that person any less attractive in my eyes!!! "

Makes for a cracking filter though

over a year ago

I'm with my Grandma today

over a year ago

"I always enjoy visualising a grammar nazi meeting someone in a club, and having an awesome night. To then receive a misspelt, grammar crash of a message the next day "

Happens to amateur Grammar Nazis too!

Softens me up a bit each time.

over a year ago

I don't think anyone expects perfect grammar, but it's nice to be able to read a sentence and not have to guess at what was meant.

Grammar is just a way to try and increase comprehension through context.

For example

Let's eat gran.

Let's eat, gran.

I love her period

I love her, period.

Man meat tastes so good!

Man, meat tastes so good!

These are obviously just one type of example, but grammar fails can really fuck up the meaning of a sentence. You can seriously misrepresent yourself if you're not careful, and it's hard to come back from saying the wrong thing if someone takes offence.

By *igertigerCouple (MM)
over a year ago

cc hotel

"Grammar will be more important to some than it is to others. I don't care much really and my own grammar isn't up to scratch. I think though that there's a point at which it becomes difficult to understand what's been written, then its important."

sometime the only conclusion you can reach is that they must be mad d*unk....spelling matters a tad

over a year ago

When it takes longer for you to read than it did for them to write, that can be more than a little annoying.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"When it takes longer for you to read than it did for them to write, that can be more than a little annoying."

How would you know how long it took to write it?

Unless you are referring to text speak.

over a year ago

Grammar can be important but people asking questions and then falling off the site is more important as to what's up with you.

over a year ago

"When it takes longer for you to read than it did for them to write, that can be more than a little annoying.

How would you know how long it took to write it?

Unless you are referring to text speak. "

Txt speak was what I had in mind with that point.

Post new Message to Thread