Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wet wipes

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Wet wipes are responsible for 93% of sewer blocks, costing £millions - many people don't realise that they contain plastic amongst other things. A giant Fatberg, weighing the same as 11 double decker buses blocked pipes in London, containing wet wipes.

Do you use the bin?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I use the bin

over a year ago

"Wet wipes are responsible for 93% of sewer blocks, costing £millions - many people don't realise that they contain plastic amongst other things. A giant Fatberg, weighing the same as 11 double decker buses blocked pipes in London, containing wet wipes.

Do you use the bin?"

omg wipeout

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Yes I use the bin.

over a year ago

I'm sick and tired of telling our neighbours not to flush wipes. I'm the mug that has to clear the drains that serve our row of houses.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I didn't, but having seen a TV thing a few years ago, they now go in the bin.

It was quite shocking, I also only use cheap loo roll now as it breaks up easier than the really thick fancy stuff

over a year ago

My friends garden got flooded because wipes in the sewage pipes. It was like a backdraft and eventually the pressure went and the whole streets sewage was in her garden. Was both disgusting and hilarious to see loads of turds floating on the grass lol x

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Maybe they should be sold with a deposit system, so shoppers take used ones back for recycling

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

The fat berg wasn't just down to wetwipes, it was mainly due to the animal and cooking fats that are poured into the waste system of London.

Still you have to take your hats off to those victorian engineers that built Londons sewer systems so that they could accommodate 15tonnes blob of congealed fat, waste food, excrement and anything else that managed to find its way into the sewers, and still manage to work and not fill the streets of Whitechapel with shit...

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

I like various kinds of wipes for different purposes and they belong in the bin not down the toilet. So irresponsible when the packaging clearly states they can’t be flushed

over a year ago

Yes I use the bin x

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Maybe manufactures should stop putting the word "flushable" on the packet.

By *heeky_subCouple
over a year ago

northampton

Wet wipes and three ply loo roll too and people that don't flush the toilet leaving large quantities of loo paper to be flushed down.

And...some people still throw nappies down the loo, adult ones as well as baby ones, why do people do that?!

It really is a problem and the sewers are designed for just waste. Not just over flow but odours also.

Also, washing powder can build up and cause issues in the sewer.

FOG (fats,oils and grease), dispose of them separately as that causes issues and build up of fat in sewers which is also an on going problem. Food establishments, sometimes can be a pain in the bum too.

I can talk talk sewers all day, lol

Post new Message to Thread