Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Phrases- Tennyson

Jump to newest

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

The following phrase from Alfred Tennyson.

I hold it true, whate'er befall;

I feel it, when I sorrow most;

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

I cant for the life of me make sense of

the better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Can someone explain in what context he meant in the phrase above was it losing a loved one through death ? or a lover ? or both

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It’s simply a “Literal meaning”

I.e.

It merely explains a persons life is more complete having experienced all the pain and joy that comes with being truly in love, no matter how fleeting that exposure was, and regardless of what circumstances brought its end.

By *heekychezzaWoman
over a year ago

warrington

"It’s simply a “Literal meaning”

I.e.

It merely explains a persons life is more complete having experienced all the pain and joy that comes with being truly in love, no matter how fleeting that exposure was, and regardless of what circumstances brought its end.

"

good explaination

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

I.e.

"

Then i think he had some sort of bdsm fantasy because the emotions of having loved and lost a lover for example is heartbreaking, i think i'd rather not have loved to be honest

over a year ago

I.e.

Then i think he had some sort of bdsm fantasy because the emotions of having loved and lost a lover for example is heartbreaking, i think i'd rather not have loved to be honest "

Each to their own,,,

But I have to disagree though!!

over a year ago

You cannot experience good without experiencing bad!

How do you know you are happy if you have never been sad!

over a year ago

"You cannot experience good without experiencing bad!

How do you know you are happy if you have never been sad!"

Feck me!!! Your a poet and you didn`t know it.

over a year ago

Feck me!!! Your a poet and you didn`t know it. "

Ha Ha Ha, you are right I never even noticed!

over a year ago

"

i think i'd rather not have loved to be honest "

I guess perhaps if you can't get it from Tennyson, this extract from Shakespeare sonnet 47 might explain

Thy self away, art present still with me;

For thou not farther than my thoughts canst move,

And I am still with them, and they with thee

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

"

i think i'd rather not have loved to be honest

I guess perhaps if you can't get it from Tennyson, this extract from Shakespeare sonnet 47 might explain

"

I was doing ok till i got to the, and they with thee bit. no they with no thee so im still better not having loved

over a year ago

Feck me!!! Your a poet and you didn`t know it.

Ha Ha Ha, you are right I never even noticed! "

On yonder hill there stood a coo......... Its no there noo.

Will that pass as verse?

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

"On yonder hill there stood a coo......... Its no there noo.

Will that pass as verse? "

pmsl bless, made me smile though and on topic, fek me must be a record,

O Dunfermline toun is a bonnie, bonnie toun

An it tells o` auld Scotland’s grandeur;

For within it langsyne `kings drank the bluid-red wine`,

While their queens `mang its bonnie braes did wander.

O Dunfermline toun, thou bonnie, bonnie toun,

Wi` green woods thy valleys lining;

An` the sun shines so gay on ilka turret grey,

As if for thee alone he was shining.

O Dunfermline toun, thou art still a bonnie toun,

And they braes are as bonnie as ever;

But the gowans pu`d nae mair by the princely bairns fair,

An` our gallant chiefs ha`e left thee a`thegither

over a year ago

"

I was doing ok till i got to the, and they with thee bit. no they with no thee so im still better not having loved "

Maybe you are!!! Theres nothing wrong with feeling the way you do, and no-one should doubt you for it,,,,after-all, what's right for one person may not suit another.

So I wish you every happiness in whatever way it befalls you !!

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

"I wish you every happiness in whatever way it befalls you !!

"

Thank you

over a year ago

"

i think i'd rather not have loved to be honest

"

Get those pots done thy fat b'stard

Or thy shall chin thee very hard!

Mrs Artfuls' words of wisdom whilst throwing a bottle of brute 33 (not exactly sonnet 47)

By *illow Pimp OP   Man
over a year ago

Midlothian

"Get those pots done thy fat b'stard

Mrs Artfuls' words of wisdom whilst throwing a bottle of brute 33 (not exactly sonnet 47) "

Add thee and nae chatee = block says i so thee been warned tee hee hee

deviante 2011

over a year ago

"

Mrs Artfuls' words of wisdom whilst throwing a bottle of brute 33 (not exactly sonnet 47) "

haha....Haha,,,, your just sore cuz, I pointed out the General Lee is motoring's equivalent to Dale Winton..

Splash it all over E'nry... the great Smell of Brut 33,,,, OMG,,,,,... now you'd never catch Caractacus Potts

wearing Brut 33….. not a Chitty hope of it…….. Bang-bang

over a year ago

"

Mrs Artfuls' words of wisdom whilst throwing a bottle of brute 33 (not exactly sonnet 47)

haha....Haha,,,, your just sore cuz, I pointed out the General Lee is motoring's equivalent to Dale Winton..

Splash it all over E'nry... the great Smell of Brut 33,,,, OMG,,,,,... now you'd never catch Caractacus Potts

wearing Brut 33….. not a Chitty hope of it…….. Bang-bang

"

NURSE!! Quick! I think the docker in a frock is having one of the funny turns again!....

Dale Winton & the General Lee?! Indeed!

over a year ago

"

NURSE!! Quick! I think the docker in a frock is having one of the funny turns again!....

Dale Winton & the General Lee?! Indeed! "

The evidence is there…… orange….. camp…….and very, very gay……. What more can you say…!!!!

Look, it’s not a bad thing….!. It could be worse !!!… Even though on that point, I’ve still yet to find an adequate analogy to support that claim….!.

Sigh.... …… or as Bo, and Luke might say…. "hey-ho away we go,,,, driving about in our pretty-lil honky-tonk motor",,,,,, muwahahahahaha

over a year ago

"

The evidence is there…… orange….. camp…….and very, very gay……. What more can you say…!!!!

Look, it’s not a bad thing….!. It could be worse !!!… Even though on that point, I’ve still yet to find an adequate analogy to support that claim….!.

Sigh.... …… or as Bo, and Luke might say…. "hey-ho away we go,,,, driving about in our pretty-lil honky-tonk motor",,,,,, muwahahahahaha

"

Dale Winton is orange and very, very GAY!!

The General Lee is the ultimate, masculine icon. The confederate flag adorns the roof on the Hemi orange paintwork (not an airbrushed oompah lumpah day glow orange Winton spray tan), its cool bottle curves and styling accentuates the lean, mean stance of the 1969 Charger in all its Mopar Muscle glory. The shattering roar of the big block turns heads where ever it goes (not stomaches like Winton when he minces into sight!). The sound of the eight cylinders demands respect when its heard (unlike the whining camp whinge that sounds like Charles Hawtry's on a bad day, that slurs from wintons botoxed lips)

The General is the straight talking southern american cowboy, where as Mr Winton is the dodgy looking geezer in the leather assless chaps, that loiters in the toilets of the gay clubs. 'Nuff said

over a year ago

I live a life that's surreal

Where all that I feel I am learning

Oh life, has been turned on the lathe

Reshaped with a flame that's still burning

And in time, it's all a sweet mystery

When you shake the tree of temptation

Yeah and I, I know the fear and the cost

Of a paradise lost in frustration

And the flame still burns

It's there in my soul for that unfinished goal

And the flame still burns

From a glimmer of then

It lights up again in my life

In my life, yeah

over a year ago

"

The General Lee is the ultimate, masculine icon. The confederate flag adorns the roof on the Hemi orange paintwork (not an airbrushed oompah lumpah day glow orange Winton spray tan), its cool bottle curves and styling accentuates the lean, mean stance of the 1969 Charger in all its Mopar Muscle glory. The shattering roar of the big block turns heads where ever it goes (not stomaches like Winton when he minces into sight!). The sound of the eight cylinders demands respect when its heard (unlike the whining camp whinge that sounds like Charles Hawtry's on a bad day, that slurs from wintons botoxed lips)

The General is the straight talking southern american cowboy, where as Mr Winton is the dodgy looking geezer in the leather assless chaps, that loiters in the toilets of the gay clubs. 'Nuff said "

So what we are saying here is …. Dale is poof!!!,,,,, whereas the General Lee only embodies all that is stereotypically Homo-erotic….. yep…. I’ll go with that……

“Hey Bo!”….”yes Luke!”……. "How’s about we 'Go West' and shimmy over to San Francisco,, I hear there's a place we can stay, called the Y.M.C.A.,,,,,,,

yip…. The General Lee ain’t gay at all…lol

over a year ago

"

The General is the straight talking southern american cowboy, where as Mr Winton is the dodgy looking geezer in the leather assless chaps, that loiters in the toilets of the gay clubs. 'Nuff said

So what we are saying here is …. Dale is poof!!!,,,,, whereas the General Lee only embodies all that is stereotypically Homo-erotic….. yep…. I’ll go with that……

“Hey Bo!”….”yes Luke!”……. "How’s about we 'Go West' and shimmy over to San Francisco,, I hear there's a place we can stay, called the Y.M.C.A.,,,,,,,

"

The General Lee is an inanimate object, a work of automotive art that is admired by millions.

Dale winton is a 4th rate celebrity that has been battered in the ring more times than Frank Bruno.

I just don't see the connection

The Bo and luke thing being gay is just your fevered imagination running amok!

Now I shall go back to watching Daisy Duke's delectable derrier, while you powder your stubble and watch re-runs of super market sweep and the shopping chanel

over a year ago

"

So what we are saying here is …. Dale is a poof!!!,,,,, whereas the General Lee only embodies all that is stereotypically Homo-erotic….. yep…. I’ll go with that……

The General Lee is an inanimate object, a work of automotive art that is admired by millions.

Dale winton is a 4th rate celebrity that has been battered in the ring more times than Frank Bruno.

I just don't see the connection

The Bo and luke thing being gay is just your fevered imagination running amok!

Now I shall go back to watching Daisy Duke's delectable derrier, while you powder your stubble and watch re-runs of super market sweep and the shopping chanel "

haha,,, good attempt,,,

However, this thread started off work-shopping a quote from Alfred Lord Tennyson, which then developed to include a spattering of Shakespeare…..

Who famously coined a phrase that would seem to fit nicely with your denial that The General Lee personifies Gay Iconography..

"Me thinks he doth protest too much"

Mwuhahahaha

over a year ago

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

Mark Twain.

over a year ago

"

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

Mark Twain.

"

haha,,,, I salute you sir and leave you the last word...!.

over a year ago

And the last word is zoo

Post new Message to Thread