Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Knee replacement

Jump to newest

By *ndulge101 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Village life in West Yorks

Any one got one and pros n cons

Been diagnosed with rumertoide arthritis in mine which is affecting ever day life beyond reason

yes and I'm dyslexic

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

im a carer - so have seen a few people who have had this done - this and hips - id say new lease of life is pretty much a given - now ive said that you will get all the horror stories probably

over a year ago

I've heard 80/20 mix good to bad it got to be worth a positive attitude ??

over a year ago

Iv had knee replacements on both knees following injury. They are brilliant and have reduced my pain lots. I also have far more movement now although obviously they havnt gone back to how they were before my injury.

I had both ops done under spinal block which means less time in recovery. They gave me meds to calm me which made me very happy and i think i may have slept a bit too.

I stayed in hospital for 3 nights. I suggest you take all pain meds offered because the pain is pretty bad after (but worth it). I had a morphine pump first time but that made me feel sick so the second time i had oralmorph plus lots of other pain meds.

You get out of bed and start physio the day after the op and although its painful its much better to keep moving and doing the physio as you will recovery much quicker and get a better range of movements.

It is a common but BIG op and is painful after but its worth it. Do your physio, take pain meds, use bio oil on the wound, and you will have a good outcome

over a year ago

I had my hip done and was in a ward with 3 guys who had knee replacements,its seems its a big op with a long recovery

over a year ago

I have had two partials, left each till the pain was unbearable. Had little trouble until the arthritis flared up again in a new place, putting off a full knee as long as possible. Post op pain is indescribable, take any and all pain relief offered, stupid not to.Good luck. Xx

over a year ago

ouch that doesn't sound like relief

it osteoarthritis that's giving me hell and has been all year

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Having a knee replacement gave my dad a new lease of life. It stopped the terrible pain, the accidents when his knee would collapse under him and got him back to enjoying the things he could no longer do.

Word of advice though, make sure you follow the physio afterwards.

A neighbour had his done and didn’t do any of the exercises he was meant to. His knee didn’t heal well and he needed it redoing to attempt to increase the very poor range of movement he had. After this second operation failed he had a third which resulted in a very bad infection. Eventually he lost his leg. All would have been prevented if he’d followed the physio program when it was first done.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Once you have had the op, make sure you actually do your exercises. A friend didn't and never got full movement of the knee again.

over a year ago

"ouch that doesn't sound like relief

it osteoarthritis that's giving me hell and has been all year"

My injury caused osteoartritis which gave me awful pain and lack of movement due to pain. The op is very painful afterwards but pain meds help and its definetely worth having the op done

over a year ago

I'm going to need one when I'm older, probably both knees... They're fucked.

over a year ago

My Sister in law has had both knees replaced and what a difference. Before she was in constant pain and couldn't walk far. Now there is no stopping her. No pain and walking much better. Back to being a loving Sister in law and not constantly grumpy which is lovely

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

I had a bone graft to heal a split knee cap, 2 slivers of bone were taken from my shin bone, and then used as a bridge for regrowth between the two halves

I needed a leg brace for 8 weeks, and the physio after was a bitch

But I'm back up and running half marathons again

It's amazing how the knee, in particular, can heal and recover

By *aturelibertineMan
over a year ago

Crayford

I had a full knee replacement 6 months ago. I agree with the others it was the most excruciating pain I have experienced. I still have not had the courage to kneel on it yet. I keep getting mixed messages about not to kneel or you can kneel. I have been told it will never have the full range of movement as I have had previously. But all in all feeling much better walking. No running . I wondered how this may affect your movement in sexual matters? What are your experiences? Doggy is out at the moment. But working on it. Just need the right person to do the kneeling for me and while they're down there as they say ANy offers

over a year ago

I know of several people who have had it done and they've all said they feel like a new person.

over a year ago

"I had a full knee replacement 6 months ago. I agree with the others it was the most excruciating pain I have experienced. I still have not had the courage to kneel on it yet. I keep getting mixed messages about not to kneel or you can kneel. I have been told it will never have the full range of movement as I have had previously. But all in all feeling much better walking. No running . I wondered how this may affect your movement in sexual matters? What are your experiences? Doggy is out at the moment. But working on it. Just need the right person to do the kneeling for me and while they're down there as they say ANy offers "

I have a similar operation not knee replacement but a hto

I am wondering about sex etc as I have screws and plates. I been 3 months probably 3 more to go

By *oodford guyMan
over a year ago

Spain

Knee joints are far more complicated joints than hips so hard to compare the two really. I had my knee done two and half months ago. Yes it’s hell for the first few days and you’ll need lots of pain relief. Recovery can take up to 6 months, but I’m already feeling far better than I was before and getting stronger each day…

By *annylickerMan
over a year ago

Chester-le-Street

I'm 2 years in with mine, still swollen, still clicks into place, no pain, still difficult to bend or kneel but best thing i ever done.

And yes the pain was immense

Post new Message to Thread