Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Learn to play Acoustic Guitar

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

am trying my hand on how to play a guitar - but find it very difficult to do - i am on few sites which are useful but i would prefer 1 v 1 but finding a teacher is also hard (bit pricey) any 1 got tips on how to play

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"am trying my hand on how to play a guitar - but find it very difficult to do - i am on few sites which are useful but i would prefer 1 v 1 but finding a teacher is also hard (bit pricey) any 1 got tips on how to play"

Hold the guitar with the strings forward facing.

over a year ago

"am trying my hand on how to play a guitar - but find it very difficult to do - i am on few sites which are useful but i would prefer 1 v 1 but finding a teacher is also hard (bit pricey) any 1 got tips on how to play

Hold the guitar with the strings forward facing. "

lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have you tried Youtube? I play blues harmonica and there are loads of lessons that I use on there

over a year ago

yeh done them also but its goes to fast

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"am trying my hand on how to play a guitar - but find it very difficult to do - i am on few sites which are useful but i would prefer 1 v 1 but finding a teacher is also hard (bit pricey) any 1 got tips on how to play"

d*unken sailor... e minor and d.... best sung in a scottish accent...

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

When you've progressed a little, be VERY careful when asking for a banjo playing partner.

over a year ago

"

When you've progressed a little, be VERY careful when asking for a banjo playing partner. "

i no the tune n yes it was 1 of the tunes i wanted 2 do lol

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"Have you tried Youtube? I play blues harmonica and there are loads of lessons that I use on there"

i got a harmonica really nice but never can play it im going to look tomorrow.. thanks...

By *ne-just4funMan
over a year ago

Southampton

"d*unken sailor... e minor and d.... best sung in a scottish accent..."

Started with that one when i was learning to play..then moved on the the sailor's horn pipe

over a year ago

Took me ages

but i learned the hi-fi

over a year ago

so some tips be nice guys - find it tough to play it

over a year ago

D...G...A....

Em...Am

A shed load of songs can be faked to those few...

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"so some tips be nice guys - find it tough to play it "

best if u find someone local that plays a bit and just show u the basics.. then u can learn more difficult stuff off the net..

over a year ago

"so some tips be nice guys - find it tough to play it

best if u find someone local that plays a bit and just show u the basics.. then u can learn more difficult stuff off the net.."

every teenager in the land dreams of finding that !!!

over a year ago

Patience and don't try and run before walking. Learn 2 chords and practice changing between them. Once you've got that perfect add a third. I learnt by getting a Beatles songbook that had little chord pictures. I knew the songs and that made it easier to know when you'd got it right.

Depends what you want to do. If its just strumming chords to sing to teach yourself. Fancy diddly fingerpicks and solos are better with a teacher. I agree with looking on YouTube. Lots of stuff there to learn to. Good luck

over a year ago

go 2 ur local libry n u can take a cd out it teaches u ,,,vry gud ,,,

over a year ago

Wish I could help, but I gave up pretending I was going to learn one day years ago

over a year ago

There a book called Guitar on tap, it has a cover same as a Bodingtons can.

You can find it in most music shops or some cheap book shops.

Failing that youtube is a good monkey see monkey do choice, I've played years and still use books with guitar tab and youtube.

By *ngieandMrManCouple
over a year ago

hereford

what type are you trying to play,rhythm, lead or classical?

over a year ago

"what type are you trying to play,rhythm, lead or classical? "
dunno lol not had the real chance to play it - just learning the cords an find it hard

By *lassic1Man
over a year ago

bellshill

You can borrow my copy of Bert Weedon's "Play in a day"......still got the price on it.. it was half a crown

over a year ago

"You can borrow my copy of Bert Weedon's "Play in a day"......still got the price on it.. it was half a crown "
lol

over a year ago

"Have you tried Youtube? I play blues harmonica and there are loads of lessons that I use on there

i got a harmonica really nice but never can play it im going to look tomorrow.. thanks..."

What type of harmonica do you have, a 10 hole diatonic, a chromatic, (the one with the slide button on the side) or a tremelo?

Make sure you pick the right lessons. The 10 hole diatonic or blues harmonica is the easiest to learn to get a basic tune out of.

over a year ago

Get as many books on guitar as you can find and study them everyday, I found chord charts tat show where to place your fingers helped me when I started out

Good luck

over a year ago

ta all - thanks for the tips (every 1 is different) think i get a couple out of the library see how this goes - got time on my hands for it

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"Have you tried Youtube? I play blues harmonica and there are loads of lessons that I use on there

i got a harmonica really nice but never can play it im going to look tomorrow.. thanks...

What type of harmonica do you have, a 10 hole diatonic, a chromatic, (the one with the slide button on the side) or a tremelo?

Make sure you pick the right lessons. The 10 hole diatonic or blues harmonica is the easiest to learn to get a basic tune out of."

hi jack i got a few but want to learn with the one with the button on the side..

tried to pm u but no single men lol...

over a year ago

personally started by learning the basic chords, and then power chords, and so on, strumming and picking can take some practice, have you tried learning Guitar tablature too, that can go a long way to helping.. but i cant understate perseverance and practice are key, i started at 15 and taught myself and first year or two i totally sucked.

But maybe private tuition would help, i have found as mentioned in an earlier post you tube has some good tutors on there.

On a side note, time for some self promotion.. i put my own music on YouTube but wont be handing out a link in the forum.. if anyone wants to check it out PM me.

over a year ago

"so some tips be nice guys - find it tough to play it

best if u find someone local that plays a bit and just show u the basics.. then u can learn more difficult stuff off the net..

every teenager in the land dreams of finding that !!! "

..... And occasionally some of us find the dream...;-);-)

Oh and OP... If you prefer steel strings to nylon... Tune your strings to Eb... You can practice longer...;-)

By *parrow77Man
over a year ago

cheshire

Ok am a guitarist

I would suggest get either books learn to play and get one of your fav artist

Or

Buy book of your fav cd and band and using the pictures were put hand and fingers then play with the cd so you get used to it and the sounds

Or

Same as above but use guitar tab universe to get ppl's version of the songs chords

Msg me if need any help

over a year ago

Practice, practice, practice.

The first song I learned to play was "House of the Rising Sun"

I used to practice my chords while watching TV, just strumming softly so my chord hand got used to the positions.

There are a ton of websites with song chords, & some of them have diagrams of where you're fingers should be.

Once you've mastered a few basic chords you'll be fine.

I started playing about 15 years ago & STILL struggle with bar chords....

over a year ago

Oh I can message you the name of my old guitar teacher in Gourock if you're interested. It used to be £6-7 for 30mins 10 years ago. I don't know if he's still teaching though......

over a year ago

Best technique you can learn is keeping your guitar in tune. Slightly out and it sounds naff.

Also a lot of people learning guitar don't go to a teacher but make friends with more accomplished musicians within their peer group, who will teach you lots of different short cuts and different ways to play chords or how to learn a basic style up and down the frets, to play the blues for example. It encourages you if you make music at the outset. Best of luck have fun xxx

over a year ago

My son's a Shadows tribute act and he's completely self taught. Taught himself drums too. I had about five lessons five or six years ago and just practiced and practiced. I used to play sat on the toilet while the kids were in the bath. I'm not amazing and certainly couldn't perform but it's very satisfying to sit and play something people recognise. I'm with you on the youtube thing. I dont read music but tend learn parrot fashion from others doing covers on there. I watch where their fingers go and do the same till it sound like what they're doing, a bit. If you can master a decent strumming pattern you're half way there. Good luck mate. Put me down for a copy of your first album

Oh yeah, and definately keep your guitar in tune

over a year ago

"Best technique you can learn is keeping your guitar in tune. Slightly out and it sounds naff.

Also a lot of people learning guitar don't go to a teacher but make friends with more accomplished musicians within their peer group, who will teach you lots of different short cuts and different ways to play chords or how to learn a basic style up and down the frets, to play the blues for example. It encourages you if you make music at the outset. Best of luck have fun xxx

"

thats the hard part lol try to tune in it - i have a tuner that helps a lot

Post new Message to Thread