Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

MORE gym questions!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I hope there will be some useful answers again this time!

1. Anybody over 40 tried getting fit, as in cardio or weight training, when your starting point was being very unfit, for example low muscle tone, shortness of breath, or poor stamina when exercising?

2. Anybody know about the differences to overcome when you want to get fit in later life compared to when you are in your twenties?

3. How do you not get bored with the gym?

Thank you!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icky-discoMan
over a year ago

oxford

"I hope there will be some useful answers again this time!

1. Anybody over 40 tried getting fit, as in cardio or weight training, when your starting point was being very unfit, for example low muscle tone, shortness of breath, or poor stamina when exercising?

2. Anybody know about the differences to overcome when you want to get fit in later life compared to when you are in your twenties?

Thank you!

"

I have and still do the benefits are you have more energy you feel and look good and as for getting bored just do it you’ll feel great

Also drink plenty of water and eat healthy then you will feel great

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The hardest part of going gym or swimming is actually getting your ass off the sofa,make training part of your daily routine ,thats the key

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"I hope there will be some useful answers again this time!

Thank you!

"

1. Programmes like couch to 5k are great for going from sedentary to active. Don't dive in at too high a level too fast.

2. Biggest issues are dietary - you need to get used to eating differently - even if you're exercising it doesn't give you a get out of jail free card from dieting..

3. Music, interacting with other gym users, even a little flirting - and change your exercise regime regularly....

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

I'd say forget about comparing it with getting fit in your 20"s as you can't go back.

You probably need less strenuous exercises as the wrong ones are more likely to do harm than good.

Favourite music through your headphones and a gym buddy probably help with the boredom

Or try a dance fit type exercise or tennis or swimming so it doesn't feel like your actually exercising

Good luck

Changing diet(stopping crisps etc) and dog walking made a big difference to a female friend

over a year ago

I wasn't *very* unfit, but I dropped a couple of stone back in late 2015, around the turn of my 40th. Brought me down from just over 17st to 15st (which still sounds like a lot, but I'm quite tall and broad, so I look and feel reasonably good between 14-15st). I sorely need to repeat the process as at least half of it has crept back on since then (currently just over 16st).

Keeping motivated is my main stumbling block. That and eating all the delicious things. If I can give myself enough of a kick up the arse to actually go to the gym, it's not so bad once I'm there. I combat the boredom by listening to loud, fast, aggressive metal to drown out the terrible poppy dance shite they play at the gym. I also mix in other types of exercise to keep it varied (cycling, pilates, walking).

Right now, I'm cycling five days a week, doing pilates once a week and haven't been to the gym in a couple of months. I really need to get back on track!

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Instead of a gym, why not try out a sport? I started rowing for example.

That way you train with a goal in mind rather than just for the sake of training*. Also the team spirit/peer pressure (delete as applicable) can spur you on.

*No disrespect to dedicated gym goers, it just doesn't do it for me.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/12/17 14:53:30]

over a year ago

I find changing my routines & music playlist every fortnight helps me not get bored. Even changing gyms sometimes u just need a new environment

over a year ago

"The hardest part of going gym or swimming is actually getting your ass off the sofa,make training part of your daily routine ,thats the key"

You don’t know how hard and true that statement is.

over a year ago

"3. Music, interacting with other gym users, even a little flirting - and change your exercise regime regularly...."

Oh, good idea with the flirting! That would work for me to keep the gym boredom away!

over a year ago

"I'd say forget about comparing it with getting fit in your 20"s as you can't go back.

You probably need less strenuous exercises as the wrong ones are more likely to do harm than good.

"

Good advice, absolutely taken on board!

over a year ago

"Instead of a gym, why not try out a sport? I started rowing for example.

That way you train with a goal in mind rather than just for the sake of training*. Also the team spirit/peer pressure (delete as applicable) can spur you on.

*No disrespect to dedicated gym goers, it just doesn't do it for me. "

Yes, I hear what you say and that might end up being all that I do, sports.

I was much into cycling once and have got back in the saddle again now.

I've always done a little bit of swimming and found it's not too bad keeping myself motivated.

But I got some company discount so thought I'd give the gym a second chance. For now!

over a year ago

P.S. How I myself define 'getting fit' would be measured by having arms that are less weak and obtaining a lower resting heart rate. So those are the two parameters I am aiming for at the moment!

Yes, yes, I do know you can't just train you arms alone in the gym but my legs have always required little effort and my arms have been a bit affected by injuries recently.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I joined a gym a few days and am yet to book my induction. I'm looking forward to getting back into it though but wonder if I'll get bored quickly to!!

over a year ago

Whatever you choose to do, make sure it’s something that you will in fact do. Give it a few weeks before you bin it, give time for your brain and your body to decide whether it’s doable. If not, try something else. The key to anything like this though is to do it. Put the time. Regularly. Don’t try to kill yourself every time. Sure, challenge yourself, thrash yourself occasionally, but first and foremost you must do.

As for the age thing, invest in the warm up; invest in mobility. Focus on movement quality before you overload your new to exercise body.

The main thing: Enjoy yourself. It can be bloody hard work, but you can enjoy it. Good luck

over a year ago

"As for the age thing, invest in the warm up; invest in mobility. Focus on movement quality before you overload your new to exercise body. "

Noted too, thanks!

over a year ago

I did some squats last night for the first time since tearing my knee in March. 3 sets of 20 on a very low weight, just 25kg, but easing myself back into it as it takes an age to recover as you get older!

Post new Message to Thread