Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Schools told to bring back caning.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I think they should bring back caning in schools. Not for things like smoking cos i used to do that, but things like verbal abuse and assault.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The threat of the cane was enough deterrent when I was at school....and the one time I got it I wouldn't have dreamt of going home and telling my parents as they would have kept me in for a month !

I didn't get it again, as once was enough.

Things have changed though, I doubt if kids would be scared of it now.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

lol just laughing at the " not for smoking as I did that " lol

Reply privately

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"lol just laughing at the " not for smoking as I did that " lol"

I used to skive, so I don't want i brought back for that.

Oh, and fingering Katrina B in science class, that should be allowed too.

Matthew Black stole my sweets though. I want that fucker thrashed to within an inch of his life.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

id be all for it

if you don't mis behave you have nothing to worry about

Reply privately

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It wasn't what the school could do which worried me... if they caught me doing something and I got a ruler around the legs, I pretty much still felt I had got away with it.

I was more worried about them telling my dad

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I was more concerned about them telling my dad as well,the punishment from him was far worse than the school could have given

I don't know if bringing the cane back will make any difference at all

I can see a line of kids saying go on then bring it on and not really giving a shit about it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't support any kind of corporal punishment, and least of all where teachers are expected to be judge, jury and executioner. No-one should have the right to assault a child.

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Plus just how hard are you allowed to cane someone for it to make a difference to their behaviour?

A little tap

A hard swipe

A full on run up?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Only cool kids got the cane... it was like a ritual to go on the 'hard' list.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Plus just how hard are you allowed to cane someone for it to make a difference to their behaviour?

A little tap

A hard swipe

A full on run up?"

Split the skin and pour salt in

Reply privately

over a year ago

Beating someone never worked before and bringing it back now won't either. The only way is to educate in how to fit in with people and parents making sue that they teach children to respect others.

Reply privately

By *he BendoversCouple
over a year ago

Carlisle

Some of the teachers at my old school were borderline sadists.

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Plus just how hard are you allowed to cane someone for it to make a difference to their behaviour?

A little tap

A hard swipe

A full on run up?

Split the skin and pour salt in "

You go to a Catholic school?

Reply privately

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Is it only me that sees the irony of assaulting someone as a punishment for assault?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Is it only me that sees the irony of assaulting someone as a punishment for assault? "

You see I said that on another thread...no one answered...so I will answer you

Yes, I see the irony.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is it only me that sees the irony of assaulting someone as a punishment for assault?

You see I said that on another thread...no one answered...so I will answer you

Yes, I see the irony."

It teaches us a strong moral code... you hurt someone, expect someone to hurt you back.

It's the basic rule of being in Goodfellas.... and not the pizza.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its the old control by violence thing though isn't it.

I have never had the cane but I should have done. I wrote a really nasty poem about one of the teachers, saying how thin and ugly he was. All beautifully rhyming though. I didn't know he had cancer which eventually was terminal, as truly I wouldn't have written the poem.

But the teacher caught one of my friends with the poem and read it and asked who had written it. My friend accepted blame and said it was him and he was caned across the hands for it. I, like the simpering, cowardly, girl that I was let him take the blame, though again I didn't know he had been caned until afterwards. Lesson for me in that I always shoulder my own mistakes now.

The cane seemed to be given out pretty freely in our school and I guess that's where the confusion lies. Who decides what punishment deserves it. Parents are reported for hitting their children with objects, so is it ok to allow a stranger to do it. How much force is appropriate.

But some kids are a handful in school, have little respect for authority, are themselves dishing out abuse safe in the knowledge they won't be touched. There's no deteterrent in schools.

The knowledge that the teacher had been very upset by my poem and looked the way he did because of illness and the shame I felt afterwards was enough to stop me ever doing that again. Further compounded with the shame that I let someone else take a punishment for me when I deserved it. B ut I learnt the lesson without having someone hit me.

Difficult one really isn't it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have to confess, I’m not either for or against the idea of corporal punishment…. But regardless of any benefits it might provide as a deterrent or punishment for students engaging in wronging doing.

There’s simply no way it will ever be reintroduced into schools in the UK…. Much for the same reasons that smoking tobacco products wouldn’t be give a government sanction if newly I invented now….

Any government or political party could not possibly open itself to the promotion of allowing citizens to legally engage in behaviour that my cause personal injury or emotional distress without putting themselves firmly in the firing line for all sorts of litigation and compensation claims….

Also taking it down to the level of responsibility whereby anyone administering corporal punishment would need to provide the service under government licence or run the risk of being held personally accountable for any harm caused when applying punishments and therefore putting themself in an impossible position of potentially being prosecuted for causing GBH should any injury be occured to a recipient.

Thus rendering any debate to its reintroduction to academic status only.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm all for it always have been even when I was at school

Just read this and was absolutely amazed ta read that the teaching union actually states that behaviour in the class room has IMPROVED since the ban what planet do these people live on?

Wood fa the trees comes to mind xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh I all for that.. to be fair I think just the threat of it would be enough...

same as I am sure the threat of the death penalty would deter many criminals from more serious crimes.

If you look at education history you can watch the standards of behaviour fall... So no idea where they get the idea that it has improved.. It also went down hill again when they basically took away so much of the teachers powers.. ie not meant to do anything that could be seen as being humiliating.. like standing in the corner.

Cali

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd bring it back as I feel discipline in schools has gone way downhill.

The real sanction though seems to be your parents finding out or what they might do to you.

And the problem is these days most parents seem to enable the kids' bad behaviour, defend it and cause it by the example they set.

You'd probably end up with the parents seeking compensation for the kids being caned.

Reply privately

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

"I think they should bring back caning in schools. Not for things like smoking cos i used to do that, but things like verbal abuse and assault."

So use violence against children in order to show them that they shouldnt use violence? Hm

I had the cane once for standing up to a bully. Just shortly after we actually got a lecture in class about standing up to bullies after the said bully beat up a girl so badly she had a week off school. Also, when in junior school I was actually grabbed around the throat by a teacher because I was the nearest and the class were not being quiet. Later on, different school, I had a bully of a teacher who would throw a wooden board wiper at students, missed them behind me but hit me in the head. He also called me names, as I was new and he didnt like my london accent, taking the mickey out of my surname. When I was ill he wouldnt let me go home until the Head interveened. Nasty little man who is not alone in the bullying of pupils.

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I used to skive, so I don't want i brought back for that.

Matthew Black stole my sweets though. I want that fucker thrashed to within an inch of his life."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd bring it back as I feel discipline in schools has gone way downhill.

The real sanction though seems to be your parents finding out or what they might do to you.

And the problem is these days most parents seem to enable the kids' bad behaviour, defend it and cause it by the example they set.

You'd probably end up with the parents seeking compensation for the kids being caned."

That is true.. I was picking my son up from school today..(who is no angel at school I will admit)

Anyway, long story short.. one of his classmates was being held waiting for the police as he had smashed a window and smashed some other things.. as I walked out the mother was ranting that what sort of school rings the police on a kid... why had he been dragged into the office..

When I come into school for something my son wont even look up, he knows that he is in more trouble from me than he will be from school..

I actually said to him that there is talk of bringing the cane back.. he squeeled and said omg.. I would not dare be bad then...

He knows bad day at school means punishment at home.. ranging from to his room for a set period, grounding, no tv/xbox or all of the above.. and in fact one day add just bread, water and an apple for tea.

Parents need to work with the schools... not against them.

They need to scrap all these places that you can sue anyone for anything.. and the world will get a much better place..

I think across the back of the hands for the cane or palms.. ohhhh that hurts.. but not enough to cause serious damage..

cali

Reply privately

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

[Removed by poster at 16/09/11 14:15:23]

Reply privately

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

Would add that our children have always behaved well at school and teachers seem to genuinely like them as the polite and social young people they are. However, if that wasnt the case I would be all over them at home and support the school in any nonviolent sanctions they felt necessary!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I disagree with corporal punishment as much as I disagree with capital punishment. It is not for one person to inflict physical pain on another and call it 'corrective' - it is abuse, as it is not wanted by the recipient, regardless of which rule he or she has broken. Children may know the difference between right and wrong but they are not always aware of the consequences of their actions and whacking them with a bamboo is hardly inducive to teaching that valuable lesson. With my own daughter I have always found that sitting her down and quietly talking the problem through has far better results than coming down hard on her. She gets that if she repeats the offence, but to date, I've never had to read her the riot act.

Teach them they have value and they'll learn to value it.

Reply privately

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

I can't say that I approve of physical punishment by teachers. Personally, I think that schools should have a "jail cell" that misbehaving kids should be locked in for the whole school day until the parent/parents turn up and pay a hefty fine dependant on the offence.

Any physical punishment can then be dealt out by the parents, depending on their individual view.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am only for this under the following conditions

1. I get to pick the teacher

2. I get to pick what the teacher wears

3. I get a "safe word"

Reply privately

By *he BananamanMan
over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

"Don't support any kind of corporal punishment, and least of all where teachers are expected to be judge, jury and executioner. No-one should have the right to assault a child."

but it's ok for the naughty pupils to assault the teachers?,or other pupils by bullying them?,or for disruptng the education of the other pupils that go to school to be educated?.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wishy when you say "it is not wanted by the recipient" that is generally a definition of what punishment is.

And why it might work.

I wouldn't say to bring it back for trivial things but discipline has gone far too far backwards in schools.

You end up with the parents blaming the teachers for not teaching the kids values, and the teachers in turn blaming the parents for not doing their bit.

It's not a panacea but you have to start somewhere.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Don't support any kind of corporal punishment, and least of all where teachers are expected to be judge, jury and executioner. No-one should have the right to assault a child.

but it's ok for the naughty pupils to assault the teachers?,or other pupils by bullying them?,or for disruptng the education of the other pupils that go to school to be educated?."

Of course it's not OK. If there are problems of that kind then they need to be dealt with, but not by state-sanctioned abuse of children by caning of fingers or backsides.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wouldn't say to bring it back for trivial things but discipline has gone far too far backwards in schools."

Has it? According to Ofsted 92% of schools are "good" or "outstanding" for behaviour. Even amongst secondary schools, where behaviour is the least good, 80% were "good" or better. Of the rest, 19% were deemed "satisfactory" and only 1% were judged "inadequate"

Perhaps the Daily Mail sees it differently when it wants to whip up a storm, but the facts don't support the notion that behaviour is getting worse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wishy when you say "it is not wanted by the recipient" that is generally a definition of what punishment is."

Punishment can come in many forms. Physical abuse of children by adults should not be one of them. Nobody will ever convince me that corporal punishment is an acceptable method of correction.

Reply privately

By *o DaddyMan
over a year ago

Worcestershire

"

Of course it's not OK. If there are problems of that kind then they need to be dealt with, but not by state-sanctioned abuse of children by caning of fingers or backsides."

i remember at a local school in b'ham a young pupil punched a teacher unconcious!,after a suspension the pupil was allowed back into that school where that teacher was still working trying to educate the other pupils,how must he and his fellow teachers have felt with such a disruptive pupil still amongst them and ready to explode at anytime?,they lay a finger on a pupil like that these days and their career is over!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think they should cane the parents!

Why should the onus for discipline fall to the teachers?

If a few more parents took responsibility for their children's misbehaviour and lack of respect perhaps the teachers could get on with their jobs and educate the kids.

One child assaulted mine on a regular basis, his mother's excuse was her son had ADHD and couldn't help his violence.

After one more attack on my son I tackled her about it, her answer was to push me over. I fell all my length split my head open and my son was panic stricken.

Violence is not the answer but I'm afraid I chased after her punched her lights out and it took the lollipop man a male teacher and a father to drag me off her.

She sent the police to charge me with assault, but every parent at the school bore witness to the fact she had hit me first.

We were both bound over by the procurator fiscal to keep out of trouble for a year or we would be charged with affray.

Her son never attacked mine again, but what a sad lesson to give to our children.

Violence in all forms is abhorrent, I do not advocate physical or corporal punishment but sometimes it's the only form of communication some understand.

I was too ashamed to be seen near the school for months.

I still pity her son who is subjected to her outbursts and violence regularly. Little wonder he's the school bully.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As I mentioned earlier I’m neither for it or against it. I can accept that for some individuals it might be beneficial. But I am also concerned that in many more cases it has the potential to be bad influence too….

Not least for the reason Wishy so rightly pointed out, of how the process of adults beating children as a justifiable form of punishment, sends out inconsistent signals to young minds….

So I’m just wondering …. Where those people who do support corporal punishment draw the line….

For instance,,,,, should corporal punishment be used on sixth formers or kids at college or even university students too,,,,

Oui and what about youngsters serving apprenticeships,,, should they be thrashed as well….. surely there would have to be a cut off point supporting its use,,,,,, if you see where I’m coming from?

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Quicker we bring back the cane the better. Then , when we have our 'better' society in schools we can start on the parents and fucking pummell the hell out of them.

Then .... the worst offenders of all ......sexual miscreants.....swingers..... we should water cannon the whole fucking kit and kaboodle of them into monogomy ... ahhhhhh the good old days.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

oops ..

HUGE p.s. Schools haven't been TOLD anything of the sort.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Then .... the worst offenders of all ......sexual miscreants.....swingers..... we should water cannon the whole fucking kit and kaboodle of them into monogomy ... ahhhhhh the good old days. "

Kinky

Reply privately

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

The lftie teachers wont have it back...and can you image how many ferrel kids with be going off with stress and trauma while their parent/s will be ringing the no win no fee rent a writ brigade..

It was a deterrent, when kids had respect..now, like ASBO's, it will be seen as a status symbol among the chav scum..

Reply privately

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

" I think that schools should have a "jail cell" that misbehaving kids should be locked in for the whole school day until the parent/parents turn up and pay a hefty fine dependant on the offence."

The human rights wankers will certainly have plenty to say about that!!...nah...like the rioters, we should encourage them to talk to us..we will listen, we will cuddle them and tell them being naughty doesnt matter as long as they are happy.

Reply privately

By *kexplorersCouple
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Back when I (Mr. K) was in school we would receive the cane and the strap and yes it did make a big difference to how we behaved.

However if the cane was brought back into schools, I fear there would be many revenge attacks on teachers either through a pupil or their sibling.

We live in a society where kids are not scared of using a gun or a knife and they are getting younger everyday. These weapons are easily obtainable if you know the right people.

Unfortunately once again our government has done too little too late.. Regardless of which political party is in power.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wouldn't say to bring it back for trivial things but discipline has gone far too far backwards in schools.

Has it? According to Ofsted 92% of schools are "good" or "outstanding" for behaviour. Even amongst secondary schools, where behaviour is the least good, 80% were "good" or better. Of the rest, 19% were deemed "satisfactory" and only 1% were judged "inadequate"

Perhaps the Daily Mail sees it differently when it wants to whip up a storm, but the facts don't support the notion that behaviour is getting worse."

A recent survey of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers says otherwise. That's from that right wing bible otherwise known as The Guardian btw.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/apr/18/childrens-behaviour-school-teachers

Reply privately

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I wouldn't say to bring it back for trivial things but discipline has gone far too far backwards in schools.

Perhaps the Daily Mail sees it differently when it wants to whip up a storm, but the facts don't support the notion that behaviour is getting worse.

A recent survey of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers says otherwise. That's from that right wing bible otherwise known as The Guardian btw.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/apr/18/childrens-behaviour-school-teachers"

Dont you mean left wing bible?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was being sarcy lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don’t think anyone would argue, there is a single cause for the present drop in behavioural standards of some pupils ….

But I have a notion that a lot of it maybe down to they way, we allow teachers, to become teachers…..

It seems many teachers these days, are simply products of the scholastic system…

i.e. pupils who stay on at school, then got to collage, before moving onto university and then back too school in a teaching capacity.

Having never really gained a level of maturity that can only come from developing life skills working alongside a wide range of adults from a wide backgrounds.

I strongly believe those skills would help any person deal more effectively with unwanted situations in an academic environment involving misbehaving young adults…

My personal opinion is, nobody should be allowed to teach without serving at least 3 years in an occupation out-with the educational system first.

I don’t believe my suggestion is the only answer, but I do think it would help!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am only for this under the following conditions

3. I get a "safe word"

"

hahaha like it!

Reply privately

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I was being sarcy lol "

Six of the best for you m'lad...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Need more discipline agreed. I was canned for having my socks down, things my brother did, late for lessons and for not being a snitch. Was I abused by the canning? Certainly! Made to bleed on two occasions; one where the deputy head broke the cane on me and went for a second one. That was for standing up to a senior boy (bully) twice my size. The canning eventually stopped when I was old enough, I turned around and knocked his teeth out. Fair cop after a period of suspension I returned to school to find that the deputy head had been sacked. Corporal punishment is open to abuse, but do I support it return? In a way yes its a good deterrent, but with out better controls than were in place before the ban, personalities will always clash, professional judgement will be compromised and kids will be abused. It won't happen and for the above reason I hope never to see the cane return. But yes there must be some way to reintroduce and take back some of the rights that children have, because its the teachers and society that's been abused now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am only for this under the following conditions

3. I get a "safe word"

hahaha like it!"

1. Picked me teacher

2. No longer an issue

3. "tulip"

Reply privately

By *acktilMan
over a year ago

Tewkesbury

Its a great idea, national service for those under 20 and unemployed would also be up there in my book.

Reply privately

over a year ago

parents responsibilty in my opinion on punishment of any physical nature!

and brings me back to a day i remember a pal getting taken out of class by a teacher who preceeded to beat him with a shoe....gladly the pals mother a kickboxing champ(and probably some other nice glasgow connections) sorted out the whole mess afterwards...

Reply privately

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"parents responsibilty in my opinion on punishment of any physical nature!

and brings me back to a day i remember a pal getting taken out of class by a teacher who preceeded to beat him with a shoe....gladly the pals mother a kickboxing champ(and probably some other nice glasgow connections) sorted out the whole mess afterwards...

"

Half the parents probably couldnt give a shit and are just as bad as the kids..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Half the parents probably couldnt give a shit and are just as bad as the kids.."

bring the parents i for a caning lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Half the parents probably couldnt give a shit and are just as bad as the kids..

bring the parents i for a caning lol"

*in

lol

Reply privately

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"I think they should bring back caning in schools. Not for things like smoking cos i used to do that, but things like verbal abuse and assault."

If they did i wud go back to school

Reply privately

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

never understood why they stopped in the 1st place

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think they should bring back caning in schools. Not for things like smoking cos i used to do that, but things like verbal abuse and assault.

So use violence against children in order to show them that they shouldnt use violence? Hm

I had the cane once for standing up to a bully. Just shortly after we actually got a lecture in class about standing up to bullies after the said bully beat up a girl so badly she had a week off school. Also, when in junior school I was actually grabbed around the throat by a teacher because I was the nearest and the class were not being quiet. Later on, different school, I had a bully of a teacher who would throw a wooden board wiper at students, missed them behind me but hit me in the head. He also called me names, as I was new and he didnt like my london accent, taking the mickey out of my surname. When I was ill he wouldnt let me go home until the Head interveened. Nasty little man who is not alone in the bullying of pupils.

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students. "

Oh yes, here we go with the tales of how one Super teacher could control a class of mindless morons with just one severe look. We've heard it all but it does not cut the ice! The fact is that there are an endless supply of little shits who teachers are expected to deal with. Perhaps they need to be sent to 'special' schools with teachers who have the skills and patience of saints to deal with them. I once thought of becoming a teacher but wisely changed my mind knowing that if confronted with one of these little shits I would simply punch them in the face and have to deal with the parents, who, no doubt would come storming into the school seeking retribution against the 'monster' who had traumatised their little angel. Who never had done anything wrong in his or her life. It's little wonder that standards of education have fallen in this country. Teachers have no authority in the classroom and thereby no ability to control the little thugs who seek to disrupt the teaching for everybody else.

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I think they should bring back caning in schools. Not for things like smoking cos i used to do that, but things like verbal abuse and assault.

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students. Oh yes, here we go with the tales of how one Super teacher could control a class of mindless morons with just one severe look. We've heard it all but it does not cut the ice! The fact is that there are an endless supply of little shits who teachers are expected to deal with. Perhaps they need to be sent to 'special' schools with teachers who have the skills and patience of saints to deal with them. I once thought of becoming a teacher but wisely changed my mind knowing that if confronted with one of these little shits I would simply punch them in the face and have to deal with the parents, who, no doubt would come storming into the school seeking retribution against the 'monster' who had traumatised their little angel. Who never had done anything wrong in his or her life. It's little wonder that standards of education have fallen in this country. Teachers have no authority in the classroom and thereby no ability to control the little thugs who seek to disrupt the teaching for everybody else."

You sound a pleasant chap

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Odds Bodkins! You had to go some way to dig this one out!

Do you also work for Time Team?

Reply privately

over a year ago

At my daughters school if they hang around with smokers the parents of the child that isn't gets a letter home.

I took the cane at school, it didn't do me no harm, I do think some kids know they have one over on any kind of authority though.

Her

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students. Oh yes, here we go with the tales of how one Super teacher could control a class of mindless morons with just one severe look. We've heard it all but it does not cut the ice! The fact is that there are an endless supply of little shits who teachers are expected to deal with. Perhaps they need to be sent to 'special' schools with teachers who have the skills and patience of saints to deal with them. I once thought of becoming a teacher but wisely changed my mind knowing that if confronted with one of these little shits I would simply punch them in the face and have to deal with the parents, who, no doubt would come storming into the school seeking retribution against the 'monster' who had traumatised their little angel. Who never had done anything wrong in his or her life. It's little wonder that standards of education have fallen in this country. Teachers have no authority in the classroom and thereby no ability to control the little thugs who seek to disrupt the teaching for everybody else.

You sound a pleasant chap "

The teaching profession missed out on a gem there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What good did caning actually do?

Reply privately

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

My brother got the cane a few times, mostly because the teacher did not like him. The same teacher took a dislike to me straight away and spent 2 years trying everything to get me caned. Teachers are their to teach subjects, disapline should come from parents

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"What good did caning actually do? "

The school I went to till 14 had corporal punishment for failing to reach required academic standards as well as discipline. The mantra of the priests was "your parents are paying us to educate you, you can learn your lessons or we will beat them into you".

It got me through 'O' levels, 'A' levels and the first year of poly. If I had stayed there and done my inter's and higher's I would have sailed through uni rather than dropping out of poly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When I left School Our Deputy Headmaster

Still Administered The Cane And Still Did

For a Few Years Later Till The Do Gooders

Stepped In And Changed Things i Was Lucky

Enough To Miss The Cane Thou I Had Been In The Punishment Line a Few Times When I Was

Around 10 Or More But I Do Remember Recieveing The Slipper On The Few Occasions I Forgot My Sports Kit That Was

Bad Enough On The Pain Thresh Hold For a

Youngster One Whack Was Enough Over a Wide Area Two Would Have Been To Much Thankgod He Knew That...

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

If it was a certainty that caning would stop some or even all forms of bullying. I am for it. Bring it back I say. I would rather someone do something right out of fear than do the wrong thing and hurt others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Teachers should be caned for poor teaching and less than adequate results

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"Teachers should be caned for poor teaching and less than adequate results"

Although I agree there are some poor teachers about. Whether it's disciplining pupils or actually teaching the subject. Some students just don't want to learn. So you can't blame a teacher for that

Reply privately

over a year ago

If I were a parent and found some stranger had been caning my child, I'd be straight down the school looking to shove that cane up the teachers arse, but at the same time realise that their are some students who simply refuse to be taught, and worse, drag others down with them, so what I'd suggest is that such childrens parents should be made aware that if THEY don't take steps to discipline their child, then the school will do it for them - canings would thusly only be given out as a last resort.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm fifty an used to think yes now I think no ! In hindsight I suspect some teachers enjoyed giving it a little too much ! Also I think we used to see being caned as a badge of honour like an Asbo ! I think better punishments would be a five mile run or being made to pick all the litter an fag ends up or clean the loos !

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 21:21:52]

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students. Oh yes, here we go with the tales of how one Super teacher could control a class of mindless morons with just one severe look. We've heard it all but it does not cut the ice! The fact is that there are an endless supply of little shits who teachers are expected to deal with. Perhaps they need to be sent to 'special' schools with teachers who have the skills and patience of saints to deal with them. I once thought of becoming a teacher but wisely changed my mind knowing that if confronted with one of these little shits I would simply punch them in the face and have to deal with the parents, who, no doubt would come storming into the school seeking retribution against the 'monster' who had traumatised their little angel. Who never had done anything wrong in his or her life. It's little wonder that standards of education have fallen in this country. Teachers have no authority in the classroom and thereby no ability to control the little thugs who seek to disrupt the teaching for everybody else."

To avoid looking foolish it's best not to write about things of which you know nothing.

Reply privately

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

I got the slipper twice in first school, three times each time. got nothing in middle school but got the cane twice in high school.

Once for throwing snowballs at the busses that passed and another for fighting.

Now each time I got the cane it was never the teacher who caught us but the head of year that dealt it out, so imparshal in a sort of way.

Three times each and boy did it sting, did it learn me a leasson?? well no I still got into fights, I still threw snowballs at the busses, but it was my parents that scared me, my mother most of all.

Well not scared me but me being scared of letting them down, knowing I had been doing something I know I should not have, I had RESPECT for my elders and especially for my parents and that is the thing that is missing this day and age.

Reply privately

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Yeah i totaly agree if some little scumbag is squaring up to a teacher even worse hitting them then yes Cane the living shit out if the scumbag

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

What a strange thread to ressurect.

Also, I cannot believe it has made it this far without anybody saying that they got caned at lunchtime and had the giggles in last period.

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"I got the slipper twice in first school, three times each time. got nothing in middle school but got the cane twice in high school.

Once for throwing snowballs at the busses that passed and another for fighting.

Now each time I got the cane it was never the teacher who caught us but the head of year that dealt it out, so imparshal in a sort of way.

Three times each and boy did it sting, did it learn me a leasson?? well no I still got into fights, I still threw snowballs at the busses, but it was my parents that scared me, my mother most of all.

Well not scared me but me being scared of letting them down, knowing I had been doing something I know I should not have, I had RESPECT for my elders and especially for my parents and that is the thing that is missing this day and age.

"

You had respect for your elders and you didn't listen to them. That's a contradiction in terms . Also I hope the busses weren't moving when you threw the snowballs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Don't support any kind of corporal punishment, and least of all where teachers are expected to be judge, jury and executioner. No-one should have the right to assault a child.

but it's ok for the naughty pupils to assault the teachers?,or other pupils by bullying them?,or for disruptng the education of the other pupils that go to school to be educated?.

Of course it's not OK. If there are problems of that kind then they need to be dealt with, but not by state-sanctioned abuse of children by caning of fingers or backsides."

throwing chalk and on occasions board rubbers hurtling through the air from teachers at pupils and yes rulers across knuckles i heard in the past but anywhere on the hands I didn,t agree with and was told the birch was a forerunner to the cane and a damn sight worse if on the recieveing end yes I don,t agree on any of those methods, but some form of punishment and if it be the cane so be it and its the bad kids that

are makeing its return possible nobody but to blame but themselves 37 years later the cane could make a return.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I got the strap rather than my parents get told what I did, my crime was to hide a porn mag in my locker for someone else.

I am for the cane/ strap or something similar as most kids dont have any respect for anyone or anything, please bring it back it might teach some of the kids a bit of discipline.

Reply privately

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

"You had respect for your elders and you didn't listen to them. That's a contradiction in terms . Also I hope the busses weren't moving when you threw the snowballs "

We also throwed snowballs at moving buses.. Guilty ..

But with parents - you just had to push the Boundaries.. 5 mins late I was grounded for two nights.. I cant even do that to my own kids.. so yeah boundaries have changed.. and so have Attitudes toward punishment.. FFs When we were good we were allowed to watch some telly.. and had to grow up watching the likes of Rolf Harris..

I now feel violated !!

it was the only thing on the telly at the time.. usually before newsround or some shi/thing

Kids with mobile phones..

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 21:49:59]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I personally don't believe that kids should be hit by a stranger.

Now, when I was a kid, if I was out of line, my dad would let me know me about it.

But guess what, it kept me the fuck out of trouble. Where if he hadn't done, god knows where my life could have headed and I could have kissed the my dad for that.

Even now, if I'm out of line, I know for a fact he'd not hesitate to whack me one, even now. He never has to this day, because I learn't respect which meant he never had too, which is something very few kids have today, in today's world.

That being said, I don't believe kids should be hit by strangers, it gives out the wrong confusing message...it's detrimental.

And I don't think I could tolerate a stranger laying a finger on my kids. I don't have kids, but I know what my approach would be if that ever happened.

$0.02

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I were a parent and found some stranger had been caning my child, I'd be straight down the school looking to shove that cane up the teachers arse, but at the same time realise that their are some students who simply refuse to be taught, and worse, drag others down with them, so what I'd suggest is that such childrens parents should be made aware that if THEY don't take steps to discipline their child, then the school will do it for them - canings would thusly only be given out as a last resort."

some of the worse behaved boys at my school were periodically beaten by their parents for any slight misdemeanor. They become immune to it. One girl's mum would pour hot wax on her arm as punishment for not cleaning the house properly. Beating anyone for a punishment isn't productive. If it was they would do it in prison or as an alternative to prison. You can't beat an education into a child

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You can't beat an education into a child "

And that is glaringly apparent whenever these debates take place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to be very for canning etc as a form of discipline at schools..however since I have had my own child I would be set against it

AS Greedy Thump has stated, I'm not keen on a stranger hitting by son

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"If I were a parent and found some stranger had been caning my child, I'd be straight down the school looking to shove that cane up the teachers arse, but at the same time realise that their are some students who simply refuse to be taught, and worse, drag others down with them, so what I'd suggest is that such childrens parents should be made aware that if THEY don't take steps to discipline their child, then the school will do it for them - canings would thusly only be given out as a last resort.

some of the worse behaved boys at my school were periodically beaten by their parents for any slight misdemeanor. They become immune to it. One girl's mum would pour hot wax on her arm as punishment for not cleaning the house properly. Beating anyone for a punishment isn't productive. If it was they would do it in prison or as an alternative to prison. You can't beat an education into a child "

I have mixed feelings towards this as sometimes you find the quiet ones have been beaten. So it works, but sometimes it goes too far and the wrong people get caned. I don't believe in it when t comes to a child's academic or fitness performances as everyone is different and not everyone is blessed with brains/fitness and it isn't their fault. However if bullying was getting out of hand and everything was done to solve it barring caning. Would caning be allowed to be used as a last resort as some students just aren't willing to learn and like bullying others and bring others down with them?

I am not a violent person, but if I witnessed bullying and saw someone suffering in their school work. If the bully ended up being caned and it stopped and the victim started to achieve things in school. I would be happy and wouldn't care how things turned out for the better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I were a parent and found some stranger had been caning my child, I'd be straight down the school looking to shove that cane up the teachers arse, but at the same time realise that their are some students who simply refuse to be taught, and worse, drag others down with them, so what I'd suggest is that such childrens parents should be made aware that if THEY don't take steps to discipline their child, then the school will do it for them - canings would thusly only be given out as a last resort.

some of the worse behaved boys at my school were periodically beaten by their parents for any slight misdemeanor. They become immune to it. One girl's mum would pour hot wax on her arm as punishment for not cleaning the house properly. Beating anyone for a punishment isn't productive. If it was they would do it in prison or as an alternative to prison. You can't beat an education into a child

I have mixed feelings towards this as sometimes you find the quiet ones have been beaten. So it works, but sometimes it goes too far and the wrong people get caned. I don't believe in it when t comes to a child's academic or fitness performances as everyone is different and not everyone is blessed with brains/fitness and it isn't their fault. However if bullying was getting out of hand and everything was done to solve it barring caning. Would caning be allowed to be used as a last resort as some students just aren't willing to learn and like bullying others and bring others down with them?

I am not a violent person, but if I witnessed bullying and saw someone suffering in their school work. If the bully ended up being caned and it stopped and the victim started to achieve things in school. I would be happy and wouldn't care how things turned out for the better."

If bullying gets out of hand the students are excluded,some permanently

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Violence is never the answer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am not a violent person, but if I witnessed bullying and saw someone suffering in their school work. If the bully ended up being caned and it stopped and the victim started to achieve things in school. I would be happy and wouldn't care how things turned out for the better."

Yes I

Witnessed bullying at school because i was a victim of it the bullies that did it got away with it you could say they

got under the radar and were not detected till a good friend of mine told my parents and exposed them for what they were I knew what they were but was frightened of any retaliation from them

and endured their cruelty for to long as

a youngster and never to forgive or forget what they did when i see school girls hanging themselves through bullying it brings it back to me those

times I was.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Violence is never the answer. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr tea bags Tarver, the headmaster at our school was a strict disciplinarian and put the fear of god almighty in us fairly successfully.

I do look on him as being one of the good influences in my life though and was sad when he died. I dunno. Life was much simpler back then.

Reply privately

over a year ago

beggars belief some people want this kind of punishment brought back..beggars belief some people think it will work.idiots.

My advice like many that want these draconian attacks of civil liberties, go back in time and fuck off if you dont like living here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You know who needs to be caned...

People too lazy to start their own threads and just comment on really old ones...

Just saying

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"You know who needs to be caned...

People too lazy to start their own threads and just comment on really old ones...

Just saying "

I don't agree. I like threads to be re-used and recycled. It might be time to play that game again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Suppose it would keep the daily look at my profile thread to one instead of a 100 daily ones. Or the frequent "I want a separate chat room for people looking to mate with Aliens from Mars, but as I don't want to offend anyone the chat room is open to everyone" thread.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 23:21:43]

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"You can't beat an education into a child

"

Really? Where do you get that idea from?

Before you answer have a little think about this...

Public schools are exempted from the corporal punishment ban in state schools and use corporal punishment when students fail to reach the required academic standards. Public schools get round 40% of Oxbridge places while less than 10% of children have a private education. (Remember that all candidates have to get the required entry qualifications).

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"You know who needs to be caned...

Just saying "

Then people will be accused of being lazy for not looking up a thread that is already based on the subject they want

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Yes of course, because teaching children violence solves problems is always a good idea.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wow

Obvious here who aren't parents n I hope never will be

Reply privately

By *layfull pairingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Caning should def be brought back...for the parents

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bitta short man trolling

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Hasn't anyone suggested the birch or hanging yet?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes of course, because teaching children violence solves problems is always a good idea. "

Corporal punishment did not teach me violence it taught me about consequence of my actions, if i was caught doing wrong it hurt

Gimp

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

Yes of course, because teaching children violence solves problems is always a good idea.

Corporal punishment did not teach me violence it taught me about consequence of my actions, if i was caught doing wrong it hurt

Gimp"

I agree with this and for those who say obviously the people who agree with it haven't got children. In other words they wouldn't want a strange to came them. How would they feel if the parents had to do it instead? One thing is for sure. Discipline doesn't exist in schools anymore and it clearly shows.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gimp

I agree with this and for those who say obviously the people who agree with it haven't got children. In other words they wouldn't want a strange to came them. How would they feel if the parents had to do it instead? One thing is for sure. Discipline doesn't exist in schools anymore and it clearly shows. "

I dont understand the stranger bit, Teachers spend more time with the kids than the parents do

Gimp

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, this will never happen.

Spanking your kids isn't allowed so this wouldn't ever be passed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Violence is never the answer.

"

Except to the question 'what is never the answer'.......

Reply privately

over a year ago

Half the parents probably couldnt give a shit and are just as bad as the kids.."

Reply privately

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Violence begats violence and solves no propose

I was caned at school did it make a difference no did it make me respect my teacher no in fact the opposite lost all respect for him and his subject but it did give me cudos with the cool kids .

My daughters school celebrated it's centenary recently one of the exhibits was the discipline book who got what for what and from whom . The same names appeard for the same offences throughout its pages which showed just how ineffective as a disciplinary tool it is .

Reply privately

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I don't hit my kids and I'm not going to stand for anyone else hitting them. Kids don't need to be hit as there are ways to punish without violence. Stop them from going to a party. Take their favourite toy away. Take their phone away. Depends in age but hitting is not necessary. So what if your child screams at you because they don't get their way, just suck it up and give them no attention.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Gimp

I agree with this and for those who say obviously the people who agree with it haven't got children. In other words they wouldn't want a strange to came them. How would they feel if the parents had to do it instead? One thing is for sure. Discipline doesn't exist in schools anymore and it clearly shows. "

Of course there is discipline in schools! ! What on earth do you think is happening? They're running riot through the corridors?

Reply privately

over a year ago

No to corporal punishment in schools. But I see no problem with detentions and writing lines.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't hit my kids and I'm not going to stand for anyone else hitting them. Kids don't need to be hit as there are ways to punish without violence. Stop them from going to a party. Take their favourite toy away. Take their phone away. Depends in age but hitting is not necessary. So what if your child screams at you because they don't get their way, just suck it up and give them no attention. "

Yep! They are fast learners and soon realise it's not worth wasting their time

Reply privately

over a year ago

"lol just laughing at the " not for smoking as I did that " lol

I used to skive, so I don't want i brought back for that.

Matthew Black stole my sweets though. I want that fucker thrashed to within an inch of his life."

Reply privately

over a year ago

i dont think they should because that is very painful, maybe spank their bottoms with their hand, i think teachers should be a lot more srticter than they are.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i dont think they should because that is very painful, maybe spank their bottoms with their hand, i think teachers should be a lot more srticter than they are."

If teachers are not allowed to give affection(in the physical sense), why on earth should they be allowed to give a physical punishment.

ask yorself some simple questions.

can a male teacher spank a girls bottom?...will it be IN the classroom, or in private?(thats an example...but then it could be a gay male/female teacher..)

If anyone thinks there wouldnt be outcries in the press and across social services, social media etc, I think you are absolutely deluded

etc etc...

I bloody wish people would think things through before thinking that we have been protecting our children from abuse, even from authorities...its got nothing to do with giving discipline.

Only just yesterday in canada , a FEMALE teacher was caught ON tape..throwing 9 year old up against a wall and picking them up by the face..

I rest my fucking case

Reply privately

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"I don't hit my kids and I'm not going to stand for anyone else hitting them. Kids don't need to be hit as there are ways to punish without violence. Stop them from going to a party. Take their favourite toy away. Take their phone away. Depends in age but hitting is not necessary. So what if your child screams at you because they don't get their way, just suck it up and give them no attention.

Yep! They are fast learners and soon realise it's not worth wasting their time "

My youngest is 8 and she has anger issues. I bought her a pink heart shaped rock with peace written on it. When she is angry and shouting I just give it to her and she knows I won't listen until she has calmed down. Works a treat for her. Hitting her I'm sure would just make her hit me back

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gimp"

Yeah,and look how you turned out! Go eat some crayons

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Would you like an adult to inflict pain, suffering and humiliation on your child?

I don't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Public schools are exempted from the corporal punishment ban in state schools and use corporal punishment when students fail to reach the required academic standards. Public schools get round 40% of Oxbridge places while less than 10% of children have a private education. (Remember that all candidates have to get the required entry qualifications)."

I'd love to learn more about this.

Please can you list some of the schools still using corporal punishment and how they use it? And also the threshold required to avoid punishment?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't hit my kids and I'm not going to stand for anyone else hitting them. Kids don't need to be hit as there are ways to punish without violence. Stop them from going to a party. Take their favourite toy away. Take their phone away. Depends in age but hitting is not necessary. So what if your child screams at you because they don't get their way, just suck it up and give them no attention.

Yep! They are fast learners and soon realise it's not worth wasting their time

My youngest is 8 and she has anger issues. I bought her a pink heart shaped rock with peace written on it. When she is angry and shouting I just give it to her and she knows I won't listen until she has calmed down. Works a treat for her. Hitting her I'm sure would just make her hit me back"

Well being a parent and being able to get into her head like you do Is a marvelous thing and I,m sure when A bit older she,ll show her gratitude to you In a form of Respect If all parents could show some

Way similar to the way you help your little girl with there kids teenagers even who perhaps have anger issues or less of a type of issue ones they have

more control themselves over, when I say

All parents I mean to say there will Always be a majority who manage their Children well to have a more stable future similar to yourself, but its Those

Whose parents who fail to Indoctrine There siblings for what ever reason are

The one,s who make the headline news News you never want to read about but Even some if not the majority will know That they have missed out on life at a later date getting the message home Early is what counts, but there will Always be Individuals in life and no Matter what background they come from will be bad individuals and those kind Probabily the most unpleasant and undesirable and yes dangerous too you would ever want to meet perhaps a good boy all his life at school or most of it

To turn into a natural villain when leaveing school luckily perhaps 95% or more of youngsters don,t turn out like That so if all parents could only Instill some respect into their kids it would go a long way in their lives to Makeing them better people I only wish.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Public schools are exempted from the corporal punishment ban in state schools and use corporal punishment when students fail to reach the required academic standards. Public schools get round 40% of Oxbridge places while less than 10% of children have a private education. (Remember that all candidates have to get the required entry qualifications).

Please can you list some of the schools still using corporal punishment and how they use it? And also the threshold required to avoid punishment?"

public schools don't have the same criteria for accepting students. Without caning these students would do well anyway. It's not punishment for them it's a whip on the behind to keep them up to standards. Schools are for education and some students don't learn just because you hit them

Reply privately

over a year ago

Please can you list some of the schools still using corporal punishment and how they use it? And also the threshold required to avoid punishment?

public schools don't have the same criteria for accepting students. Without caning these students would do well anyway. It's not punishment for them it's a whip on the behind to keep them up to standards. Schools are for education and some students don't learn just because you hit them "

I'd still like to know details..

Reply privately

By *itSamCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"It wasn't what the school could do which worried me... if they caught me doing something and I got a ruler around the legs, I pretty much still felt I had got away with it.

I was more worried about them telling my dad "

True but a lot of parents are too young or do not care enough to be strict. Someone I know his kids run rings round him. He will give the usual threats you hear "will take ya phone off ya" and things like that but even then they do not follow a threat through.

Have seen kids in shops swearing at parents, some can not even wait to get to the till and are eating round the shop. Parents know if they do not give in to them tantrum in shop. Kids know tantrum equals a win. All about who is stronger.... If the kid knows they sing gonna win they will not try. I never got the cane at school. Was not a kiss ass but wanted to learn and get a good education.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm all for it always have been even when I was at school

Just read this and was absolutely amazed ta read that the teaching union actually states that behaviour in the class room has IMPROVED since the ban what planet do these people live on?

Wood fa the trees comes to mind xx "

Great!! more importantly what planet are you on? The recent news that a teacher was stabbed to death by a piece of shite passed you by completely? Before the abolition of any deterrent to the scum who infest our world who ever heard of a teacher being stabbed to death? Nobody !! That's who!! I do not believe a single word of what you say which flies in the face of common experience. Save it for the planet you come from It doesn't wash here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wood fa the trees comes to mind xx Great!! more importantly what planet are you on? The recent news that a teacher was stabbed to death by a piece of shite passed you by completely? Before the abolition of any deterrent to the scum who infest our world who ever heard of a teacher being stabbed to death? Nobody !! That's who!! I do not believe a single word of what you say which flies in the face of common experience. Save it for the planet you come from It doesn't wash here. "

bringing back caning in schools would have stopped her murder? what bloody universe are U in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reports are: bright pupil,loner,suicidal ideation = possibly some sort of psychological problem....

even the police do not use deliberate acts of violence to 'teach' people a lesson..they control a situation or person by using reasonable force...I find it laughable a teacher having more authority than a policeman and dishing out 'justice' to an underage young person...................

Reply privately

over a year ago

The guy who resurrected this thread must've been reallllllly bored.

Reply privately

By *hoenixcouplexxCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

I don't know wether to laugh or cry at some of the statements made in this thread!

It's quite simple: if you need to resort to physical violence as a parent or as a school then YOU failed not the child.

I don't have any evidence that public schools do or don't use corporal punishment but I do know that the teaching standards are much higher than your average comprehensive. The teachers also earn a damn site more money than their counter parts, which means the school can pick the very best. To say that those children face physical punishment for not achieving grades.... Don't buy that at all.

My son was recently accused of fighting. The school were going to punish him. Turns out he never raised a hand or lashed out. All he did was correct another pupil for pushing a young girl over. He was punched and he pushed the other boy away to stop him punching him, who ended up sitting on his arse.

You see he's been taught that violence is for mugs and generally doesn't achieve the outcome you want anyway. If he had been caned for that incident the school would have very much been in the wrong and his outlook would have very much have been at risk of being changed. Something that we, as his parents have worked very hard to cultivate.

Oh and 'if' anyone is going to strike MY child it is only ever going to be me...

You do not need to physically abuse someone to educate them correctly.

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I don't have any evidence that public schools do or don't use corporal punishment but I do know that the teaching standards are much higher than your average comprehensive. The teachers also earn a damn site more money than their counter parts, which means the school can pick the very best. To say that those children face physical punishment for not achieving grades.... Don't buy that at all.

"

I went to Rockwell College (Ireland). They used corporal punishment, and I spent most of my Saturday afternoons lined up outside soapies (the Dean of Studies) office with other boys who had collected 3 black makes from teachers for academic failure the previous week. There were usually somewhere between 20 and 30 boys waiting for punishment which came in 2 parts, the strap (which was about a half inch thick an inch wide and 18 inches long) starting with 2 slaps on each hand and increasing at a rate of 2 slaps on each hand with each visit till it reached 6 on each hand after which 6 on the backside was added to the punishment, after which we would be placed on detention and miss the weekly film and have to write out multiple lines (which were not line but poems, I can still recite quite a few of them). Of course after that failure to reach the required standard became a discipline mater which meant that after being punished by soapy I got to join the queue outside the Dean of Discipline's office for round 2 of the Saturday afternoon beatings! (That only happened to me twice!)

So to be honest I don't care if you buy it or not, because I experienced it from the age of 10 to 14!

Reply privately

By *hoenixcouplexxCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"So to be honest I don't care if you buy it or not, because I experienced it from the age of 10 to 14!"

I thought we were talking about RE-introducing corporal punishment as apposed to what took place 33 years ago? Considering it was banned in Ireland in 2003 then I don't understand your point? Because if any schools were using it now as claimed they would be breaking the law.

It may have well Been used 33 years ago but it hasn't been since 2003 in Ireland and 1999 in England, since that was when it was banned in both countries.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So to be honest I don't care if you buy it or not, because I experienced it from the age of 10 to 14!"

We're not in Ireland, or the 20th century. The problem I have with your claims that it's still in use in the UK is this:

"Physical punishment is prohibited in all maintained and full-time independent schools, in children’s homes, in local authority foster homes and Early Years provision."

Department for Education

As for your claims as to the benefits of corporal punishment I'm sure I remember previous comments by you claiming to have assaulted somebody on your own doorstep. I'd choose not to have that kind of approach instilled in children.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It wasn't what the school could do which worried me... if they caught me doing something and I got a ruler around the legs, I pretty much still felt I had got away with it.

I was more worried about them telling my dad

True but a lot of parents are too young or do not care enough to be strict. Someone I know his kids run rings round him. He will give the usual threats you hear "will take ya phone off ya" and things like that but even then they do not follow a threat through.

Have seen kids in shops swearing at parents, some can not even wait to get to the till and are eating round the shop. Parents know if they do not give in to them tantrum in shop. Kids know tantrum equals a win. All about who is stronger.... If the kid knows they sing gonna win they will not try. I never got the cane at school. Was not a kiss ass but wanted to learn and get a good education. "

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"So to be honest I don't care if you buy it or not, because I experienced it from the age of 10 to 14!

We're not in Ireland, or the 20th century. The problem I have with your claims that it's still in use in the UK is this:

"Physical punishment is prohibited in all maintained and full-time independent schools, in children’s homes, in local authority foster homes and Early Years provision."

Department for Education

As for your claims as to the benefits of corporal punishment I'm sure I remember previous comments by you claiming to have assaulted somebody on your own doorstep. I'd choose not to have that kind of approach instilled in children.

"

You are right, and I understand you believe I have an awful and benighted attitude to the use of violence. You are in the majority and like the majority you believe your opinion is more important than empirical evidence. The numbers over years show that the removal of corporal and capital punishment from the law has lead to an explosion is violent crime. It is also painfully obvious that the same trends can be seen in our schools.

But why worry about facts when it comes to not allowing a teacher to discipline our little Jonny, that is right up to the moment when little Jonny has a temper tantrum and another child ends up in hospital or little Jonny is the child attacked, then its the teachers fault.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be fair it doesn't appear that facts or 'empirical evidence' bother you too much either considering the facts you claimed, appear to have been bullshit.

If I'm incorrect about that I'm interested to learn of which schools currently administer corporal punishment?

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"So to be honest I don't care if you buy it or not, because I experienced it from the age of 10 to 14!

Department for Education

You are right, and I understand you believe I have an awful and benighted attitude to the use of violence. You are in the majority and like the majority you believe your opinion is more important than empirical evidence. The numbers over years show that the removal of corporal and capital punishment from the law has lead to an explosion is violent crime. It is also painfully obvious that the same trends can be seen in our schools.

But why worry about facts when it comes to not allowing a teacher to discipline our little Jonny, that is right up to the moment when little Jonny has a temper tantrum and another child ends up in hospital or little Jonny is the child attacked, then its the teachers fault. "

There is no evidence for the trend of violence 'exploding' in schools. When was the last time you actually spent an entire day in a school?

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, I would never agree to it. I dont trust teachers to make that judgement call and never would. I have worked with some great teachers, none of whom have found violence necessary to get respect even from the most difficult of students. Oh yes, here we go with the tales of how one Super teacher could control a class of mindless morons with just one severe look. We've heard it all but it does not cut the ice! The fact is that there are an endless supply of little shits who teachers are expected to deal with. Perhaps they need to be sent to 'special' schools with teachers who have the skills and patience of saints to deal with them. I once thought of becoming a teacher but wisely changed my mind knowing that if confronted with one of these little shits I would simply punch them in the face and have to deal with the parents, who, no doubt would come storming into the school seeking retribution against the 'monster' who had traumatised their little angel. Who never had done anything wrong in his or her life. It's little wonder that standards of education have fallen in this country. Teachers have no authority in the classroom and thereby no ability to control the little thugs who seek to disrupt the teaching for everybody else.

To avoid looking foolish it's best not to write about things of which you know nothing."

Ok, I get it that is why you have nothing to say!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Violence is never the answer. "
Ok, What is the answer then?

Reply privately

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

A child refuses to back down to any form of authority (teachers/parents, etc) and won't listen to them either and is obviously in the wrong. No matter what you do. The child can undo it and gets what they want. How do you punish/discipline them?

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Violence is never the answer. Ok, What is the answer then?"

You've been on the planet long enough, take your blinkers off

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/05/14 01:53:32]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A child refuses to back down to any form of authority (teachers/parents, etc) and won't listen to them either and is obviously in the wrong. No matter what you do. The child can undo it and gets what they want. How do you punish/discipline them? "

This wouldn't happen if the child would have had a good upbringing from the start. You just have to be consistent in enforcing the rules and setting strict boundaries and eventually the child will learn.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thats good, hope they whip the kids into place.

Reply privately

By * times sexyCouple
over a year ago

Staffs

I used to get the "stick" all the time , as did my mates. we didnt mind that so much, its the fact the headmaster used to wank himself off when he did it that bothered us lol

Reply privately

By * times sexyCouple
over a year ago

Staffs

Seriously though, any grown adult either man or woman who thinks its ok to bend a child over and beat them with a cane in this century wants locking up in my boo. Why stop there , lets send back up chimneys or down coal mines again , what a load of bollocks, Its bullying plain and simple. My old man used to beat shit out of me as a kid , put 7 stitches over my eye. All it did was think violence was the answer and ok to use it. It turned me it a pretty nasty person and it took years to get out of that mindset. in fact it took 2 kids and i never never laid a hand on them , I wasn't soft at all but violence is never the answer with a child. they have turned out fantastic and are doing well. .

Violence breeds violence, most of the murderers in nick come from abusive families. Just cos it would be done at school don't make it right

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unbelievable. The good old days eh. 'Oooh I had the cane never did me any harm, taught me respect'. Now ask yourself the question. How would you feel knowing a fully grown adult was subjecting your child to such punishment.

Reply privately

By * times sexyCouple
over a year ago

Staffs

"Unbelievable. The good old days eh. 'Oooh I had the cane never did me any harm, taught me respect'. Now ask yourself the question. How would you feel knowing a fully grown adult was subjecting your child to such punishment. "

Spot on mate ,, Top man,, Most of the teachers that did that shit to young kids were perverts masquerading as "authority figures" look at all the shit thats coming home to roost now with op yewtree

Reply privately

over a year ago

that old thing, respect eh - i was scared to death of being rude to any adult - if i saw a copper over the road id think i was guilty of something - i used to get a smack off my mum - a real telling off from my dad (selective so if this happened i knew i was in the wrong) - the shame of anybody from our school being reported back and the headmistress having to inform us in assembly that whoever had let the school down -

think i must have lived a life of terror - when mine were young i just used to get to the point of shouting ' do i have to' and theyd cower - dont know what i was ever going to do but i never had to - and the old count 1 , 2 and sheesh if i got to 3 they ran

Reply privately

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

"Unbelievable. The good old days eh. 'Oooh I had the cane never did me any harm, taught me respect'. Now ask yourself the question. How would you feel knowing a fully grown adult was subjecting your child to such punishment. "

Exactly. We are all disgusted by any mistreatment of children but that is what caning is! An adult hitting a child with a stick is vile abuse and has no place in a decent society.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

There are too many people who imagine what goes on in schools rather than actually knowing. Many of whom have not spent an entire day in a school in 20 years or more.

Reply privately

over a year ago

we never got the cane at school but understood that whilst at school the teachers were to be respected as we would respect our parents - and vice versa they were to care protect and punish us as our parent would - the worst we got was a ruler slapped on the desk - woke us up if nothing else - one teacher used to hurl the blackboard duster across the room

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To avoid looking foolish it's best not to write about things of which you know nothing. Ok, I get it that is why you have nothing to say!"

Whatever you did with your time at school it apparently wasn't reading.

Attitudes like yours are born only of ignorance and laziness.

Gaining respect from children requires patience, consistency, imagination, persistence and effort. Intelligence helps too. Too many hope that replacing those things with fear, shouting and violence will work, despite that every time we see them in action we all know it doesn't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would add love to that list as well... Even the toughest of kids will warm to you once the realise that you genuinely care

Reply privately

over a year ago

No easy answer to the question all I know is that kids are different respect is lost. Discipline never did me any harm. Learnt my lesson first time around never went there again.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"No easy answer to the question all I know is that kids are different respect is lost. Discipline never did me any harm. Learnt my lesson first time around never went there again. "

Respect is not lost.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"No easy answer to the question all I know is that kids are different respect is lost. Discipline never did me any harm. Learnt my lesson first time around never went there again. "

There are lots if ways to discipline a child. You don't have to beat them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"No easy answer to the question all I know is that kids are different respect is lost. Discipline never did me any harm. Learnt my lesson first time around never went there again.

There are lots if ways to discipline a child. You don't have to beat them. "

Can't recall saying I was beaten

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol the usual forum answers from ppl who don't know me always on high horses x oops did I say that out loud

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There are too many people who imagine what goes on in schools rather than actually knowing. Many of whom have not spent an entire day in a school in 20 years or more. "

Was a teacher not killed in the classroom a few weeks ago x must ave read that wrong silly me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"No easy answer to the question all I know is that kids are different respect is lost. Discipline never did me any harm. Learnt my lesson first time around never went there again.

There are lots if ways to discipline a child. You don't have to beat them.

Can't recall saying I was beaten "

Can't recall saying you were beaten.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe it was just my peers at school, but in my experience all children are evil! We knew which teachers were on short fuses and used to see how long it would take us to make them snap. Those teachers that showed respect, received respect, and did their job without shouting and violence, they got a much better behaved audience that they could actually teach. Me, I was just horrid... never violent but frequently walked out of classes when bored, and nothing short of chains would stop me, corporal punishment encouraged worse behaviour, took me until I was in my 20's to realise how bad I was.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Respect is one of those things that mostly gets discussed by people that don't understand it. This country is full of respectful, talented children. But people choose to focus on the minority that are not; oblivious to the fact that children learn what they are taught.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agreed...I do feel however that the needs of the tiny minority of children with behavioural/attitudinal issues aren't well catered for by scholastic institutions....and this can have a detrimental effect on the majority...

There's more to naughty children then a lack of respect...that's just a symptom I suspect.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Again too many people are focusing on what they IMAGINE schools to be like in 2014. Instead they keep harking back to when they were in school.

Yes there are some who are challenging. But the majority are respectful and easily and quickly corrected when not.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"Agreed...I do feel however that the needs of the tiny minority of children with behavioural/attitudinal issues aren't well catered for by scholastic institutions....and this can have a detrimental effect on the majority...

There's more to naughty children then a lack of respect...that's just a symptom I suspect. "

What would you consider 'well catered for'?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/05/14 13:28:15]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There's more to naughty children then a lack of respect...that's just a symptom I suspect. "

This is not a popular view and not in the least PC... BUT people are different, the old secondary modern / grammar school system used to stream people into academic or manual skills training which was bad in that they decided your life path at 11, but good because some people are better at laying bricks than reading classics, others are pure academic whilst most of us of course float about somewhere in the middle.

I wasn't old enough to see it, but my school was a combined school with one building being the old grammar and the other the secondary modern. the brick archways and walls around the wonderful but unkempt gardens and veg plots in the old secondary modern school was all the work of former pupils. And while it was not allowed for the teachers to miss the old systems, there were some in my classes that would have been much happier out learning to build walls, make or grow things, instead of disrupting or slowing down the academic lessons they just were not good at.

I don't know how, but there needs to be a way of teaching children to their strengths, which will make them happy to learn instead of having the top and bottom 10% frustrated, angry, and disruptive affecting the remaining 80%

beating them with sticks is not the answer

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think that's something to be looked at... There tend to be a handful of students in some schools that aren't able to or don't want to access the curriculum...disrupting learning and showing little application... This can be problematic for students and teachers, particularly at key stage 4...

I don't like the idea of kicking children out of schools - such children lack self esteem and feel unloved as it is - there must be alternative provisions that can be made... Reduction of timetables...perhaps...?

There was a study conducted in a 'high fsm' school in the states where a group disillusioned students were taught a reduced number of subjects in small groups of 3s and 4s... And the 'additional' time was used by mentors who would help them deal with the emotional/psychological issues...

They out performed the control group by a significant percentage...

I'm not sure if it's the golden bullet...but it's a step closet, I feel.

Reply privately

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

What crap.

One school I went to would cane,slipper,ruler anyone for anything.

It was no deterrent to me.

It didn't make me work harder,

I didn't learn more, get higher marks in any test, in any subject.

It didn't stop me talking to a mate.

It didn't stop me taking a short cut in cross country.

It didn't stop me climbing over a fence to collect conkers.

It didn't stop me sneaking out of school and going to a shop.

It didn't stop me having any of those scraps that lads have.

It didn't stop me skipping last lesson, or catching the early train home.

It didn't improve my behaviour, nor stop me being cheeky, swearing, or disrespectful.

Given a choice, detention or cane, I was one of the elite for choosing the cane.

The others were soft, wimps

Choosing the cane was defience. That was their ultimate deterrent,

and it didn't work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Violence is never the answer. Ok, What is the answer then?

You've been on the planet long enough, take your blinkers off"

Ok, so you don't have a clue, then why not say that instead of trying to act smart?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Violence is never the answer. Ok, What is the answer then?

You've been on the planet long enough, take your blinkers off Ok, so you don't have a clue, then why not say that instead of trying to act smart? "

The answer is to only possible if you take the time to find out the question. That is what streaming individuals through a common process fails to do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If a teacher had hit me with a cane back in school I would have hit them back and I know plenty of people in my school who would've done the same. Not a good idea

Reply privately

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

"If a teacher had hit me with a cane back in school I would have hit them back and I know plenty of people in my school who would've done the same. Not a good idea"

Not so easy when you are 7 or 8

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wood fa the trees comes to mind xx Great!! more importantly what planet are you on? The recent news that a teacher was stabbed to death by a piece of shite passed you by completely? Before the abolition of any deterrent to the scum who infest our world who ever heard of a teacher being stabbed to death? Nobody !! That's who!! I do not believe a single word of what you say which flies in the face of common experience. Save it for the planet you come from It doesn't wash here.

bringing back caning in schools would have stopped her murder? what bloody universe are U in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reports are: bright pupil,loner,suicidal ideation = possibly some sort of psychological problem....

even the police do not use deliberate acts of violence to 'teach' people a lesson..they control a situation or person by using reasonable force...I find it laughable a teacher having more authority than a policeman and dishing out 'justice' to an underage young person..................."

It's hard to believe that some of the posts like the afore mentioned do come from people being allowed out in public on there own. Nobody is saying that if caning was allowed in schools then that teacher would not have been stabbed! Do try and exercise that thing between your ears, it's called a brain and it's there for a purpose. I.E. to give human beings reasoning power. If not exercised then the reasoning power will not develop! Not caning in schools is part of an acceptance of bad behaviour all round in society. It starts in the home and spreads out from there to infect society at large. The electronic media is widely used to spread the message that bad behaviour is not you fault. You have been let down by society and society must pay! What ever you do wrong is not your fault, You can't help it, you are 'vulnerable' and need help. and Blah ,Blah, Blah, so on it goes. Discipline has to be learned, not by its application but by the threat of its application making the possible recipient think twice about his behaviour. With no fear of retribution where would society end up. We are all born with the desire to do anything we want to do. If that is only to be a decent person then well and good. But if that is to be a violent shit, then not so good. We have never been so well off in the history of human kind yet our prisons are full to over flowing. If the present attitude of tolerance to criminality was really working surely the opposite would be the case? You only need to look at the case of Venables and Thompson two pieces of pure shit who truly needed to be disposed of. Were they? Of course not! Millions were spent on protecting them from the punishment they so richly deserved. We do not live in a vacuum. Other pieces of shite read about them and take note. They can kill and not be held liable for their actions! It was not their fault their parents and wider society let them down, so, naturally that made them kill a little infant in the cruellest manner they could devize at the time. Poor little souls they must be helped. Fuck the grieving parents! Who cares about them? These two little chaps need our help, that's all that matters and anyone who thinks they want to do the same or similar, carry on! WE are here to help!

Reply privately