Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Famous people

Jump to newest

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

Are always bleeding on about giving money to this and that charities.

So my question is being as rich as they are do they do it? I’m sure a few million from said famous people wouldn’t dent they’re bank accounts to much

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep. George Michael gave quite a lot of dosh to Charity, but did it sort of anonymously as he didn't want press attention, it only came out after he died.

over a year ago

Some do, some don’t. The main thing is that they get people’s attention, right?

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Some do, some don’t. The main thing is that they get people’s attention, right? "

No not really they have more money than the majority of us so no

over a year ago

"Some do, some don’t. The main thing is that they get people’s attention, right? "

Yes, for themselves!

over a year ago

You don’t think it’s important to bring attention to the sort of charities they represent?

over a year ago

"Some do, some don’t. The main thing is that they get people’s attention, right?

Yes, for themselves!"

Because without representing charities they would be starved of attention? Whatever you say

over a year ago

"You don’t think it’s important to bring attention to the sort of charities they represent?"

No, if I want to give to charity I will seek out who I want to give to!

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Some do, some don’t. The main thing is that they get people’s attention, right?

Yes, for themselves!"

Sort of what I was thinking is mo farah giving generously as he is going on about his hometown Somalia

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

A lot of footballers do but I've also heard it's a way of saving paying tax.

It's usually in the form of a football foundation.

I'm not saying they are all at it and neither am I saying none of them donate.

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

I had a chugger the other day stop me a chugger is a charity mugger for those that don’t know and ask me all sorts of things what would you do if I gave you £2 blah blah you know the speal anyway to cut a long story short I asked where I can donate money she said give me your bank acc details I said no I would rather donate when I want not every month! So after telling me this is not the way to do it I said I’m not giving my bank account detail I walked off she said thanks for wasting my time

over a year ago

I don't care whether they give or not. I just don't want to see their virtue signalling smug faces telling me what to do!

over a year ago

"I had a chugger the other day stop me a chugger is a charity mugger for those that don’t know and ask me all sorts of things what would you do if I gave you £2 blah blah you know the speal anyway to cut a long story short I asked where I can donate money she said give me your bank acc details I said no I would rather donate when I want not every month! So after telling me this is not the way to do it I said I’m not giving my bank account detail I walked off she said thanks for wasting my time "

I just tell them to 'fuck off', it saves all that hassle!

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

"I had a chugger the other day stop me a chugger is a charity mugger for those that don’t know and ask me all sorts of things what would you do if I gave you £2 blah blah you know the speal anyway to cut a long story short I asked where I can donate money she said give me your bank acc details I said no I would rather donate when I want not every month! So after telling me this is not the way to do it I said I’m not giving my bank account detail I walked off she said thanks for wasting my time

I just tell them to 'fuck off', it saves all that hassle!"

Try talking to them about the charity they are collecting for - most of them haven’t got a clue!!!

B x

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"I had a chugger the other day stop me a chugger is a charity mugger for those that don’t know and ask me all sorts of things what would you do if I gave you £2 blah blah you know the speal anyway to cut a long story short I asked where I can donate money she said give me your bank acc details I said no I would rather donate when I want not every month! So after telling me this is not the way to do it I said I’m not giving my bank account detail I walked off she said thanks for wasting my time

Try talking to them about the charity they are collecting for - most of them haven’t got a clue!!!

B x"

I will do that next time cheers

over a year ago

Put it in perspective. We all need shelter, food and a few creature comforts. Beyond that it’s all excess. If Bono slummed it and down sized to a million pound house he could build multiple schools, providerunning water to numerous villages etc. So rich people telling us that we have to donate and give... well stick it up your privileged ass.

over a year ago

B x"

Most are on £9 an hour plus commission from the DD and accomodation as they move them from town to town. Ridiculous the money charities waste

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Put it in perspective. We all need shelter, food and a few creature comforts. Beyond that it’s all excess. If Bono slummed it and down sized to a million pound house he could build multiple schools, providerunning water to numerous villages etc. So rich people telling us that we have to donate and give... well stick it up your privileged ass."

My point exactly

over a year ago

Some do some don't, but why should they?

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Some do some don't, but why should they?

"

They don’t like we don’t if we don’t want to.

But the ones who go on about it should practise what you preach

over a year ago

Everyone is hypocrite

I know everyone including myself says that if I had X amount of money then I would give more to charity, but that is a dream situation. It's very different when it actually happens.

People are more greedy and selfish than they realise.

over a year ago

Some aren't as rich as you may think

over a year ago

"Some do some don't, but why should they?

They don’t like we don’t if we don’t want to.

But the ones who go on about it should practise what you preach "

The ones who go on about it are just attention grabbers.

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

And to throw something else into the mix are we really helping by chucking money at these countries? Surely it’s a short term solution not a long term one.

over a year ago

"Everyone is hypocrite

I know everyone including myself says that if I had X amount of money then I would give more to charity, but that is a dream situation. It's very different when it actually happens.

People are more greedy and selfish than they realise."

Sweeping statement. If I had loads of money I’d actually go to a poverty stricken area, project manage a build and use 100% my own money. Saves on usual charity admin and running costs.

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Think the point here...which some seem to be missing...is no matter what you think celebs "gain" from their donations, they are still donations, which help the less fortunate...why would anyone begrudge that?

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Think the point here...which some seem to be missing...is no matter what you think celebs "gain" from their donations, they are still donations, which help the less fortunate...why would anyone begrudge that? "

I don’t i was asking if they give some of the millions they have in the bank is that ok?

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

"Think the point here...which some seem to be missing...is no matter what you think celebs "gain" from their donations, they are still donations, which help the less fortunate...why would anyone begrudge that?

I don’t i was asking if they give some of the millions they have in the bank is that ok?"

Why would it NOT be ok?

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"Think the point here...which some seem to be missing...is no matter what you think celebs "gain" from their donations, they are still donations, which help the less fortunate...why would anyone begrudge that?

I don’t i was asking if they give some of the millions they have in the bank is that ok?

Why would it NOT be ok? "

Rolling eyes is why

over a year ago

"A lot of footballers do but I've also heard it's a way of saving paying tax.

It's usually in the form of a football foundation.

I'm not saying they are all at it and neither am I saying none of them donate."

You've got the nail on the head....tax avoidance, and what gets me is that they get the credit but the money is technically ours.

over a year ago

Yes, for themselves!

Sort of what I was thinking is mo farah giving generously as he is going on about his hometown Somalia "

I don’t think Somalia is a town

over a year ago

"Everyone is hypocrite

People are more greedy and selfish than they realise.

Sweeping statement. If I had loads of money I’d actually go to a poverty stricken area, project manage a build and use 100% my own money. Saves on usual charity admin and running costs."

Yeah I admit it's a sweeping statement and there are loads of generous people out there.

Regarding what you said though, I don't mean to be rude but unless you can prove it, it's all talk.

I'm a very cynical person so I find it hard to believe that some people are half as generous as they claim

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

Yes, for themselves!

Sort of what I was thinking is mo farah giving generously as he is going on about his hometown Somalia

I don’t think Somalia is a town :-

o"

Ok smart arse you know what I mean

over a year ago

And well done fellas, this is some first class self-filtering

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"And well done fellas, this is some first class self-filtering "

I’m lost

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Why would it NOT be ok?

Rolling eyes is why "

Just where in my original post did i mention you? Or even hint it was aimed at you? Now YOU get the ....just incase you missed it

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

Why would it NOT be ok?

Rolling eyes is why

Just where in my original post did i mention you? Or even hint it was aimed at you? Now YOU get the ....just incase you missed it "

Do you have a valid point or opinion in this discussion if not get back to the fuck snog marry or avoid or what are you having for dinner threads

By *ornylittlesubWoman
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Why would it NOT be ok?

Rolling eyes is why

Just where in my original post did i mention you? Or even hint it was aimed at you? Now YOU get the ....just incase you missed it

Do you have a valid point or opinion in this discussion if not get back to the fuck snog marry or avoid or what are you having for dinner threads "

Think my point was pretty clear....to anyone with some sense about them! And its pretty easy to check posts...did ya see any for yer snog, fuck, marry, shoot...or whatever the fuck on mine! And to echo another poster on this thread...self filttering, thanks for your work!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I don't care whether they give or not. I just don't want to see their virtue signalling smug faces telling me what to do!"

All this virtue signalling accusation stuff is bollocks! Same as triggered and snowflake and offended. Bullshit words to make people sound intelligent.

They aren't telling you what to do, they are using their media presence to highlight charities that are looking for funding.

Why is it up to the celebrities to donate all their money to charity... There has to be some kind of social responsibility too. If you won the lottery would you donate it all to charity? Just because celebrities are god at marketing their brand it doesn't mean they should give all their money away.

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

Why would it NOT be ok?

Rolling eyes is why

Do you have a valid point or opinion in this discussion if not get back to the fuck snog marry or avoid or what are you having for dinner threads

Think my point was pretty clear....to anyone with some sense about them! And its pretty easy to check posts...did ya see any for yer snog, fuck, marry, shoot...or whatever the fuck on mine! And to echo another poster on this thread...self filttering, thanks for your work! "

You are very welcome

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"I don't care whether they give or not. I just don't want to see their virtue signalling smug faces telling me what to do!

All this virtue signalling accusation stuff is bollocks! Same as triggered and snowflake and offended. Bullshit words to make people sound intelligent.

They aren't telling you what to do, they are using their media presence to highlight charities that are looking for funding.

Why is it up to the celebrities to donate all their money to charity... There has to be some kind of social responsibility too. If you won the lottery would you donate it all to charity? Just because celebrities are god at marketing their brand it doesn't mean they should give all their money away. "

I didn’t say all just some

By *rjimMan
over a year ago

nr bristol

150,000 registered charities...all run by well paid executives...it's a business.

13 BILLION of our money send out in Overseas Aid...why...to places like India with a nuclear and space program...really.

And our own people are on trollies in hospital corridors..and waiting 9 months for an operation.

Get real people. .

over a year ago

"And well done fellas, this is some first class self-filtering

I’m lost "

Do you get it yet?

over a year ago

I'd imagine a lot of famous people give money to charity, some use their celebrity status to raise the profile of a charity and others will simply donate anonymously, trouble with much of the general population is that they slag celebrities off as smug when they do charitable work and then moan about that don't advertise how they support charity.

I don't feel the need to scrutinise or criticise how others spend their money celebrity or otherwise.

Ginger

By *icky-disco OP   Man
over a year ago

oxford

"And well done fellas, this is some first class self-filtering

I’m lost

Do you get it yet? "

Yes and do I give a shit no

Post new Message to Thread