Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I want a moan ... and not of the good kind

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am choked with fury at the shoddy workmanship of BMW Mini.... my car bought new in jan 2008 so far to date has had a new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter motor, wheelbearing and now the battery is suspect...

I wouldn't mind if I was going rallying in it but pootling about with my son and grandson in it is all I do with it....

I bought it to have a safe car for driving the wee grandson in rather than my lovely sporty mazda mx5... how safe is a car that dies on you while overtaking in the fast lane on a motorway and you have to freewheel to the hard shoulder?

All the dealer can do is change each part under warranty, no exchange of car no compensation nothing... I have lost all faith in it feel unsafe in it and advise no-one to buy a clubman bucket of nails..... phew rant over....

Short of torching it how do I gain customer satisfaction if the manufacturers, dealer or official bodies say nothing can be done except let them repair or replace as it states in the warranty?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *resh freddieMan
over a year ago

Penistone

"I am choked with fury at the shoddy workmanship of BMW Mini.... my car bought new in jan 2008 so far to date has had a new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter motor, wheelbearing and now the battery is suspect...

I wouldn't mind if I was going rallying in it but pootling about with my son and grandson in it is all I do with it....

I bought it to have a safe car for driving the wee grandson in rather than my lovely sporty mazda mx5... how safe is a car that dies on you while overtaking in the fast lane on a motorway and you have to freewheel to the hard shoulder?

All the dealer can do is change each part under warranty, no exchange of car no compensation nothing... I have lost all faith in it feel unsafe in it and advise no-one to buy a clubman bucket of nails..... phew rant over....

Short of torching it how do I gain customer satisfaction if the manufacturers, dealer or official bodies say nothing can be done except let them repair or replace as it states in the warranty? "

I assume you have contacted the manufactures. What about JD power the car satisfaction people, topgear?

over a year ago

yes Freddy spoke to BMW UK customer dept. and they say it's up to the dealer to sort out nothing to do with them... who are JD powers please? xxx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Go and see the manager of the dealership you purchased the car.. Explain calmly how you feel and explain your loss of faith.

Suggest that if a suitable replacement could be sourced perhaps one they have in stock (ready for sale) of similar spec age and milage a happy solution can be found..

If you bought from an accredited dealer I think you'll get a sypathetic ear...

By *resh freddieMan
over a year ago

Penistone

"Go and see the manager of the dealership you purchased the car.. Explain calmly how you feel and explain your loss of faith.

Suggest that if a suitable replacement could be sourced perhaps one they have in stock (ready for sale) of similar spec age and milage a happy solution can be found..

If you bought from an accredited dealer I think you'll get a sypathetic ear... "

It’s a real hard one as you prob don’t want another the same as you will have lost confidence.

JD power do surveys on cars. Always look on there site before buying as it’s a customer based thing.

Notts is right though go be polite and see what they will do for you. They may even have another make px that you might prefer with a small financial outlay from you.

over a year ago

"Go and see the manager of the dealership you purchased the car.. Explain calmly how you feel and explain your loss of faith.

If you bought from an accredited dealer I think you'll get a sypathetic ear... "

I explained my loss of faith to the manager when the car died on the motorway while overtaking, he said then that it was unfortunate and unforseen but couldn't really do anything for me as the warranty replaced all parts and the car was safe as far as they were concerned, I was calm and have never lost my temper with them, they can only really sell it on for me now at list price and I would be even more out of pocket replacing it with another.

over a year ago

I'm sure handled in the right way, where there is no loss of face to the dealership (Not that they deserve it i'm sure) no monies need change hands... I know a few people in the trade, its quite common. As freddie says, check the reliability record first for your model.. easy done, if its just a rogue car.. get shot!!

By *resh freddieMan
over a year ago

Penistone

Well if you read the market news on cars there is a shortage of pre-used ones so yep you will loose but not as badly as 18 months ago. Mini’s are still sort after so you will not have trouble swapping it. Dealers are on there knees so you can shop and see what is available.

Have to say it must be gutting as they area nice looking car and its not good to have a bad experience. Hope you find some fortune over this.

over a year ago

"I'm sure handled in the right way, where there is no loss of face to the dealership (Not that they deserve it i'm sure) no monies need change hands... I know a few people in the trade, its quite common. As freddie says, check the reliability record first for your model.. easy done, if its just a rogue car.. get shot!! "

Thanks for the info, I did check with the manufacturers if mine was from a bad batch or if there had been any recalls but they say not... will just have to try the manager again... maybe a blowie under his desk will persaude him to be more sympathetic lol xxxx

over a year ago

"Well if you read the market news on cars there is a shortage of pre-used ones so yep you will loose but not as badly as 18 months ago. Mini’s are still sort after so you will not have trouble swapping it. Dealers are on there knees so you can shop and see what is available.

Have to say it must be gutting as they area nice looking car and its not good to have a bad experience. Hope you find some fortune over this.

"

Thanks Freddie, 20 grand does not mean a good car in this instance, think I'll go back to buying 3 yr old ones instead of shiny new ones in future, shame is this is the third car I have purchased from this dealer, no customer loyalty there eh? xxxx

over a year ago

"I'm sure handled in the right way, where there is no loss of face to the dealership (Not that they deserve it i'm sure) no monies need change hands... I know a few people in the trade, its quite common. As freddie says, check the reliability record first for your model.. easy done, if its just a rogue car.. get shot!!

Thanks for the info, I did check with the manufacturers if mine was from a bad batch or if there had been any recalls but they say not... will just have to try the manager again... maybe a blowie under his desk will persaude him to be more sympathetic lol xxxx"

Now your after an upgrade lol... But I have just looked and theres no major issues with any of the mini range..

Friday afternoon car, simple as...

over a year ago

"Well if you read the market news on cars there is a shortage of pre-used ones so yep you will loose but not as badly as 18 months ago. Mini’s are still sort after so you will not have trouble swapping it. Dealers are on there knees so you can shop and see what is available.

Thanks Freddie, 20 grand does not mean a good car in this instance, think I'll go back to buying 3 yr old ones instead of shiny new ones in future, shame is this is the third car I have purchased from this dealer, no customer loyalty there eh? xxxx "

3rd car??? i think you'll find your in a stronger position than you think... Maybe just the right words havn't been mentioned yet...

Calmly suggest that you have mentioned it to a few well placed people and they think the fact your a woman your not quite getting the same deal and fair treatment a man may get.. and it was suggested you approach the press, ask what theier view on that may be??

Then wait for the car being swapped, bet ya!

over a year ago

Thanks Freddie, 20 grand does not mean a good car in this instance, think I'll go back to buying 3 yr old ones instead of shiny new ones in future, shame is this is the third car I have purchased from this dealer, no customer loyalty there eh? xxxx

3rd car??? i think you'll find your in a stronger position than you think... Maybe just the right words havn't been mentioned yet...

Calmly suggest that you have mentioned it to a few well placed people and they think the fact your a woman your not quite getting the same deal and fair treatment a man may get.. and it was suggested you approach the press, ask what theier view on that may be??

Then wait for the car being swapped, bet ya!"

Cheers m'dear I'm off to phone the manager for an appointment to 'discuss' my little problem so he has no other pressing engagement lol and will say my solicitor (another swing pal ) is taking quite an interest in all this too xxxx

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Then wait for the car being swapped, bet ya!

Cheers m'dear I'm off to phone the manager for an appointment to 'discuss' my little problem so he has no other pressing engagement lol and will say my solicitor (another swing pal ) is taking quite an interest in all this too xxxx "

Just casually mention the sale of good act to the manager it is encumbrant on the seller not the manufacturer to provide goods of merchantable quality, you so clearly have the proof that they didn’t.

p.s. for a small fee I’ll come and represent you in court

over a year ago

Also well worth checking your insurance policy.. if you have Legal cover, most do, well.... won't cost a penny to start a case they will absolutely no doubts want to have nothing to do with in a recession... So if you don't have it, add it quickly!

over a year ago

Surely if the car is still under warranty then you have the Sale of Goods Act to fall back on as it's clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. I'd contact the Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they say hon. Dealers and manufacturers will always try and defer you at first as they know 99% of customer complaints are never chased. Persistence here is the key, they will soon get fed up of you phoning them and turning up unannounced at the dealership with another tirade for them to deal with. And don't forget, bad press for dealers is a nail in their coffins, but use your local media to do it as they're pretty much reliant upon local people to buy their shite cars.

Good luck.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Yep ...merchantable quality and fit for purpose now applies to new cars a consistent fault, especially if proven its a design fault, can now mean a swap or money back, the precedent has been set.

just go online and see if others are reporting same issues...an owners club forum is a good place to start .

over a year ago

Thank you good peeps for all your sound advice and support.

I've just called the service manager and asked for an appointment with him and the regional manager, stressed that I am 'petrified' of being stranded yet again with my child/grandchild/dog in the car, reminded him that I have bought 3 cars from them.

Not saying their integrity as a dealer comes into question but I have had a real sickener with the car and the situation and that I don't want it back.

He's gonna phone back before five with their solution. he he pokerface I have not but a poor wee greetin face might help

Failing that it will then be the press, all the legislation quotes I can muster and my solicitor attending with me, and a bad word added to all the mini forums on the planet.

And as a final two finger salute a fuck off big sign on my car saying to people not to buy mini shite and park it in asda's car park right next door to the dealers

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

go girl!

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Thank you good peeps for all your sound advice and support.

I've just called the service manager and asked for an appointment with him and the regional manager, stressed that I am 'petrified' of being stranded yet again with my child/grandchild/dog in the car, reminded him that I have bought 3 cars from them.

Not saying their integrity as a dealer comes into question but I have had a real sickener with the car and the situation and that I don't want it back.

He's gonna phone back before five with their solution. he he pokerface I have not but a poor wee greetin face might help

Failing that it will then be the press, all the legislation quotes I can muster and my solicitor attending with me, and a bad word added to all the mini forums on the planet.

And as a final two finger salute a fuck off big sign on my car saying to people not to buy mini shite and park it in asda's car park right next door to the dealers "

yeah the big sign can work ..just make sure you refer only to that particular car not the brand or the cars in general .or they will go to court and already have done in a brand protection move.

over a year ago

And as a final two finger salute a fuck off big sign on my car saying to people not to buy mini shite and park it in asda's car park right next door to the dealers

yeah the big sign can work ..just make sure you refer only to that particular car not the brand or the cars in general .or they will go to court and already have done in a brand protection move."

it will be about that particular car only, and in the meantime I shall be in store indulging in some retail therapy to soothe my jangled nerves lol

over a year ago

And as a final two finger salute a fuck off big sign on my car saying to people not to buy mini shite and park it in asda's car park right next door to the dealers "

Have the car signwritten professionally with the words:

"This brand new £20,000 car is guaranteed. To break down at any moment, even on a motorway at 70mph. The dealer is guaranteed too. To completely ignore your concerns!

(name of dealership)"

THEN park it outside Asda!

over a year ago

Have the car signwritten professionally with the words:

"This brand new £20,000 car is guaranteed. To break down at any moment, even on a motorway at 70mph. The dealer is guaranteed too. To completely ignore your concerns!

(name of dealership)"

THEN park it outside Asda! "

LMAO thanks for making me smile cos if you all hadn't I'd be weeping tears of frustration by now xxxx

over a year ago

Have you thought about contacting Watchdog? Get ya gorgeous self on TV, and get your car problems sorted out pronto

over a year ago

"Have you thought about contacting Watchdog? Get ya gorgeous self on TV, and get your car problems sorted out pronto "

think my days in front of a cam are over but watchdog is another to add to the arsenal ty

Post new Message to Thread