over a year ago

salisbury

Carry on.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man
over a year ago

salisbury

If you want to give cycling a go id recommended keeping away from roads. Get onto the trails.

Reply privately

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Hmmm. Not sure about getting dirty. I reserve that for other pastimes.

Talk to me about a reasonable starter road bike. I have a halfway decent Specialized hybrid jobby.

Reply privately

By *xplicitMan
over a year ago

donegal

Black friday round the corner..stick to aluminium and type in bike discounts on google..you wont go far wrong...

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Started road cycling then a move to triathlon a few years back from a purely running background

Been a great change for me, I love it..

And have a very decent road bike for sale too idea for starters

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Hmmm. Not sure about getting dirty. I reserve that for other pastimes.

Talk to me about a reasonable starter road bike. I have a halfway decent Specialized hybrid jobby."

Which end of Southampton are you in? If you're West head towards the new forest. I would suggest mtb rather than road to you though as you have good upper body strength. Upper body strength is a bonus for mtb as its much more technical than just pedalling along. Where as extra muscle on a road bike is just a hindrance. (And a bigger target for cars!)

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have a red Bobbin Birdie bike, she has a two toned ringer bell and a wicker basket.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"I have a red Bobbin Birdie bike, she has a two toned ringer bell and a wicker basket. "

One of mine has 8 inches of travel......

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have a red Bobbin Birdie bike, she has a two toned ringer bell and a wicker basket.

One of mine has 8 inches of travel......"

You’ve 8 inches and will travel?

Reply privately

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Talk to me about a reasonable starter road bike. I have a halfway decent Specialized hybrid jobby.

Which end of Southampton are you in? If you're West head towards the new forest. I would suggest mtb rather than road to you though as you have good upper body strength. Upper body strength is a bonus for mtb as its much more technical than just pedalling along. Where as extra muscle on a road bike is just a hindrance. (And a bigger target for cars!)"

Hmm interesting. I try not to overbalance the upper body/legs. Of equal importance for rowing. I hear you though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Which end of Southampton are you in? If you're West head towards the new forest. I would suggest mtb rather than road to you though as you have good upper body strength. Upper body strength is a bonus for mtb as its much more technical than just pedalling along. Where as extra muscle on a road bike is just a hindrance. (And a bigger target for cars!)

Hmm interesting. I try not to overbalance the upper body/legs. Of equal importance for rowing. I hear you though. "

You look like you’ve got very good upper body strength in your pics of your back/ass — almost as if you’ve got shoulder/arm strength that could throw me round a room. In a good way.

Apologies I went to perv after reading Clem’s comment.

Did you, Clem?

Reply privately

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Hmmm. Tense.

Cycles off quickly into the sunset.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hmmm. Tense.

Cycles off quickly into the sunset.

"

Past tense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I use to love cycling except I don't have a bike anymore. Any good ones I can buy ?

Reply privately

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

How about a CX bike?

Hmmm.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd recommend a Boardman for anyone wanting to get a road bike. Have had a couple and they're great bikes, don't even need the carbon fibre version. I'm not a bike expert but a few people more in the know than me say you get a good spec for your money. And it managed to get my fat arse from Lands End to John O'Groats so it must be half decent!

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I bought a voodoo marassa, hybrid, hydraulic brakes, 27 speed nice bike for £300.

All I did was change the tyres and i did a very reasonable 3hours 45 minutes london to brighton fun ride.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Hmm interesting. I try not to overbalance the upper body/legs. Of equal importance for rowing. I hear you though.

You look like you’ve got very good upper body strength in your pics of your back/ass — almost as if you’ve got shoulder/arm strength that could throw me round a room. In a good way.

Apologies I went to perv after reading Clem’s comment.

Did you, Clem? "

He's not my cup of tea.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you want to give cycling a go id recommended keeping away from roads. Get onto the trails."

Went on a dirty weekend in Wales. Absolutely knackering, shame I wasn’t as fit as I am now. I’d definitely have enjoyed it more as a fit 53 year old than a fat 33year old.

Reply privately

By *rozacMan
over a year ago

london

i d*unkenly pinballed off the underside of a bridge and fell in the canal with mine the other night. Went back to get it today and someones already fished it out i think. had pretty much brand new wheels on it too . Sad times

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmm interesting. I try not to overbalance the upper body/legs. Of equal importance for rowing. I hear you though. "

You could always gve track a go. With that much power and no hills you;d adapt pretty quickly

Reply privately

over a year ago

Talk to me about a reasonable starter road bike. I have a halfway decent Specialized hybrid jobby."

What sort of budget? Btwin (decathlon own brand) or Boardman would get my vote

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

You could always gve track a go. With that much power and no hills you;d adapt pretty quickly"

That's a good shout, and he has one local to him.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

What sort of budget? Btwin (decathlon own brand) or Boardman would get my vote"

Go second hand. Buy someone else's fad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Go second hand. Buy someone else's fad. "

it's a cutthroat market second-hand and you get far better deals as so many are against the idea.

Today's ultegra is tomorrow's 105 in the new season and let's not forget it's the engine that really counts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Go second hand. Buy someone else's fad. it's a cutthroat market second-hand and you get far better deals as so many are against the idea.

Today's ultegra is tomorrow's 105 in the new season and let's not forget it's the engine that really counts."

Exactly. And as soon as disc brakes on road bikes become the norm you just wait for the price of anything with traditional brakes to plummet!

Reply privately

By *lmostthereMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Many opinions. Thanks all.

Hit me with some second hand options to look out for.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Does anyone have a Tomtom cadence sensor? Set mine up today and went out for an 11 mile ride today but it didn't bloody work

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

I use strava works great for me.

I started with a Broadman aluminium then upgraded to Specialized Carbon which I love. Cleats take a bit of getting use to put wouldnt go back now. Also when spinning I use cycling shoes now.

Merry Christmas everyone x

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"I use strava works great for me.

I started with a Broadman aluminium then upgraded to Specialized Carbon which I love. Cleats take a bit of getting use to put wouldnt go back now. Also when spinning I use cycling shoes now.

Merry Christmas everyone x"

I have Strava too, my watch syncs to it but apparently this bit of kit gives you extra stats lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have Strava too, my watch syncs to it but apparently this bit of kit gives you extra stats lol "

I have my Garmin Connect account linked with my Strava account, just need a cadence sensor and that will be all the data I need for now... untill I want to get a power meter lol

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

I have Strava too, my watch syncs to it but apparently this bit of kit gives you extra stats lol "

Oh I see. You can pay on strava to get lots of extras not that I use them. As Im only interested in miles, average speed and time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Think in gonna have to start shaving my foofy if I'm going to cycle 100 miles!

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Think in gonna have to start shaving my foofy if I'm going to cycle 100 miles! "

Go for 80 - 90 rpm if you get it working #spintowin !

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any MTB’rs? I’m off to Llandegla to get muddy on Thursday.

Reply privately

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

Out this morning, loads of road closures. Fully fenced off, can get round them closures. It’s cold out today!

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Think in gonna have to start shaving my foofy if I'm going to cycle 100 miles!

Go for 80 - 90 rpm if you get it working #spintowin ! "

I don't think my foofy spins!

Finally for my SPD's and pedals today so took my niece and nephew down the park to practice.... Set them really loose so haven't fallen off yet lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really need to get riding again. Now do I demolish all the chocolates I got for Christmas first?

Reply privately

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

"Really need to get riding again. Now do I demolish all the chocolates I got for Christmas first?

"

Yes, then after your ride you can bask in smugness without feeling you’ve ruined it by eating more.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Think in gonna have to start shaving my foofy if I'm going to cycle 100 miles!

Go for 80 - 90 rpm if you get it working #spintowin !

I don't think my foofy spins!

Finally for my SPD's and pedals today so took my niece and nephew down the park to practice.... Set them really loose so haven't fallen off yet lol"

Well done! You never know i might fit mine back on again one day.......... nah!

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Any MTB’rs? I’m off to Llandegla to get muddy on Thursday. "

Yep right here

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Any MTB’rs? I’m off to Llandegla to get muddy on Thursday.

Yep right here "

It's muddy as heck on the roads for us roadies at the moment it's like speedway on the junctions turning in !

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Yep right here

It's muddy as heck on the roads for us roadies at the moment it's like speedway on the junctions turning in !"

It's God's way of telling you to buy a proper bike

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm riding Zwift during the winter months. Its a virtual riding app that connects to your turbo trainer. Currently doing the 4 week ftp boost workouts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I cycle 16 miles a day to work n back due to a head gasket gone on my car mainly use cycle tracks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Today was going to be the day I jump back into going out for the proper rides that I love out on the open roads after being hit by a massive bout of osteoarthritis. It arrived out of nowhere the morning after a all day very wet ride in July and it took weeks just to find out why I could barely stand up for the first couple of months.

Lately I've been managing to ride the 5 miles each way to work so I'm now thinking its time to start building things back up...

and I get up to find a fair bit of snow

Reply privately

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

I've got my eye on a hybrid/mountain bike, and waiting for sale price to grab the bargain. Then go out cycling along the Lochs in Scotland.

Also found out NCR754 routes Glasgow to Edinburgh! I may do that one day....

Reply privately

over a year ago

My main advice is get a bike fit, this should be free on a new bike or about £100 on an existing.

I went in wanting a certain make of road bike and after a fit it was totally unsuitable for my body shape.

For all the miles you'll do it's so worth getting fitted properly

Reply privately

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

"My main advice is get a bike fit, this should be free on a new bike or about £100 on an existing.

I went in wanting a certain make of road bike and after a fit it was totally unsuitable for my body shape.

For all the miles you'll do it's so worth getting fitted properly "

Totally agree!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My main advice is get a bike fit, this should be free on a new bike or about £100 on an existing.

Totally agree!"

Even if you get the right size for your height, it’s worth getting it set up. My local bike shop use a wattbike to adjust your saddle and bar position to get the most comfort and power. I haven’t had a chance to get it done yet but 3 of my mates have and it’s improved their road riding massively.

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"Does anyone have a Tomtom cadence sensor? Set mine up today and went out for an 11 mile ride today but it didn't bloody work "
Cadence sensors can be a pain.... The tomtom ones I have seen are magnet based - so you have to make sure the magnet on your pedals passes the sensor pretty precisely...

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

Yep right here

It's muddy as heck on the roads for us roadies at the moment it's like speedway on the junctions turning in !

It's God's way of telling you to buy a proper bike"

That'd be a good old fashioned steel framed winter bike that's too heavy t slide....

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Totally agree!

Even if you get the right size for your height, it’s worth getting it set up. My local bike shop use a wattbike to adjust your saddle and bar position to get the most comfort and power. I haven’t had a chance to get it done yet but 3 of my mates have and it’s improved their road riding massively. "

I had that done for me by a frame builder watch me ride into work, the bloke grabbed my bike frame adjusted the seat and handlebars. It felt some much better on the way home.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Does anyone have a Tomtom cadence sensor? Set mine up today and went out for an 11 mile ride today but it didn't bloody work Cadence sensors can be a pain.... The tomtom ones I have seen are magnet based - so you have to make sure the magnet on your pedals passes the sensor pretty precisely..."

I've moved the sensors now so I think it's working but just not sure what it does now lol

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"Does anyone have a Tomtom cadence sensor? Set mine up today and went out for an 11 mile ride today but it didn't bloody work Cadence sensors can be a pain.... The tomtom ones I have seen are magnet based - so you have to make sure the magnet on your pedals passes the sensor pretty precisely...

I've moved the sensors now so I think it's working but just not sure what it does now lol "

Not sure if you;re joking so apologies if this sounds a bit pompous.

Your body works best within a fairly narrow range of cadences or tempo (the number of times a minute you spin the pedals). A good starting point is 80 rpm. If you can't pedal at that rate, change gears down one (to an easier gear). Do that when you're riding and you'll always be working at that most efficient cadence.

80 rpm is where you might tell a beginner to cadence monitoring to start - I have a cadence range for general road riding / testing of 80-95 rpm, but on the odd occasion I sprint I might go up to as far as 140 rpm...

If you're on a long hill you might settle to a cadence of 65-70 rpm - if I'm doing a hill session on the turbo I'll tweak the gears and resistance until I settle around there....

Heart rate monitoring is the next step - and don't even get me started on the madness that is power meters....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Does anyone have a Tomtom cadence sensor? Set mine up today and went out for an 11 mile ride today but it didn't bloody work Cadence sensors can be a pain.... The tomtom ones I have seen are magnet based - so you have to make sure the magnet on your pedals passes the sensor pretty precisely...

I've moved the sensors now so I think it's working but just not sure what it does now lol Not sure if you;re joking so apologies if this sounds a bit pompous.

Your body works best within a fairly narrow range of cadences or tempo (the number of times a minute you spin the pedals). A good starting point is 80 rpm. If you can't pedal at that rate, change gears down one (to an easier gear). Do that when you're riding and you'll always be working at that most efficient cadence.

80 rpm is where you might tell a beginner to cadence monitoring to start - I have a cadence range for general road riding / testing of 80-95 rpm, but on the odd occasion I sprint I might go up to as far as 140 rpm...

If you're on a long hill you might settle to a cadence of 65-70 rpm - if I'm doing a hill session on the turbo I'll tweak the gears and resistance until I settle around there....

Heart rate monitoring is the next step - and don't even get me started on the madness that is power meters...."

Power meters are the way forward much better than hr if you are “training” , I have one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

I've moved the sensors now so I think it's working but just not sure what it does now lol Not sure if you;re joking so apologies if this sounds a bit pompous.

Heart rate monitoring is the next step - and don't even get me started on the madness that is power meters...."

This is where mountain biking beats road riding. You get fit AND you have fun without having to worry about rpm and power. Just ride and grin. Plus it's "ok" to have upper body strength, in fact its better if you have! Imagine.....

Plus you don't get killed by lorries.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Club rider here buy what you can afford but factor in a bike fit, don't follow trends and lastly..... Enjoy that tight lycra goodness lol

Michael.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Really wasn't joking so thank you for that. Just need to work out how I see my cadence info on my Tomtom now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Heart rate monitoring is the next step - and don't even get me started on the madness that is power meters....

Really wasn't joking so thank you for that. Just need to work out how I see my cadence info on my Tomtom now. "

Did it all come in the same box?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Really wasn't joking so thank you for that. Just need to work out how I see my cadence info on my Tomtom now.

Did it all come in the same box? "

No. Have had the watch a couple of years and this is an additional sensor that you can buy. I'm sure it's on there somewhere but I was too busy panicking about not falling off as I was using my cleats for the first time to be able to play with my watch haha

I'll figure it out x

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

This is where mountain biking beats road riding. You get fit AND you have fun without having to worry about rpm and power. Just ride and grin. Plus it's "ok" to have upper body strength, in fact its better if you have! Imagine.....

Plus you don't get killed by lorries. "

I think the roadies don't have upper body strength thing is a fallacy. The core strength needed to hold a good shape on the bike for three hours or more is pretty serious stuff - even more so if you use a TT bike or aero bars.

Not all my bikes have cadence sensors, and if I'm just out for a cafe and cake with mates I'll do the whole run on feel - there are good guides as to how hard you're working from how much of a conversation you can hold.

Lorries and cyclists isn't something to joke about - a good friend lost a daughter to a driver who should have been banned the first time. Most of my rides are on country lanes in god's own country north of the wall where rogue sheep are more of a hazard...

Reply privately

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

No. Have had the watch a couple of years and this is an additional sensor that you can buy. I'm sure it's on there somewhere but I was too busy panicking about not falling off as I was using my cleats for the first time to be able to play with my watch haha

I'll figure it out x "

Evie we’re not terribly far apart so if ever you fancy going out while you get used to going clipless, let me know. It’s not always easy to find other female cyclists!

Reply privately

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

I'll figure it out x

Evie we’re not terribly far apart so if ever you fancy going out while you get used to going clipless, let me know. It’s not always easy to find other female cyclists! "

Ah that's lovely. Thank you x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance "

Definitely disc brakes. Ideally hydraulic. Both my road and MTB are hydraulic discs now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance "

There isn't much to maintain. I've had hydraulic brakes since 2006, and id describe my maintenance of them as "fuck all".

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

Follow what all the serious crossers do - use discs to keep the braking surface away from the clarty stuff.

Reply privately

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

"Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance Follow what all the serious crossers do - use discs to keep the braking surface away from the clarty stuff. "

Follow the crosses?. Mountain bikers have been doing it for years too!

As for what's better? Hands down discs rule. It's as difficult a question as "cake or death?" Just make sure you go hydraulic and not cable. Should be pretty much maintenance free for the majority of their life,although there are a few golden rules, like NEVER getting any kind of lube anywhere near them at all, in any way!

Even the super cheap Shimano or Avid systems will blow your mind. Don't forget you may need new shifters if your current set are integrated with your levers.

*Him*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance Follow what all the serious crossers do - use discs to keep the braking surface away from the clarty stuff.

As for what's better? Hands down discs rule. It's as difficult a question as "cake or death?" Just make sure you go hydraulic and not cable. Should be pretty much maintenance free for the majority of their life,although there are a few golden rules, like NEVER getting any kind of lube anywhere near them at all, in any way!

Even the super cheap Shimano or Avid systems will blow your mind. Don't forget you may need new shifters if your current set are integrated with your levers.

*Him*"

First time I’ve heard “avoid lube” on the forums.

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"Disc brake vs rim brake? Any suggestions on what's better in off road biking? I'm very used to rim brakes but haven't had any experience with disc brake maintenance Follow what all the serious crossers do - use discs to keep the braking surface away from the clarty stuff.

*Him*"

Mmmhmmm. I think the jury is out on discs for testing - they're not particularly aero, and probably heavier than equivalent rim brakes. I think the braking advantages are over-rated unless you're a demon descender coming down from the Alps or the Pyrennees. Rim brakes are good for one big descent before needing to cool down - mine have stopped me from 45mph+ on a steep descent in the ranges by Otterburn when a tractor and the fuckwit sales rep overtaking it decided to take up all the road - I think my arse muscles would have failed before my brakes....

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

*Him*Mmmhmmm. I think the jury is out on discs for testing - they're not particularly aero, and probably heavier than equivalent rim brakes. I think the braking advantages are over-rated unless you're a demon descender coming down from the Alps or the Pyrennees. Rim brakes are good for one big descent before needing to cool down - mine have stopped me from 45mph+ on a steep descent in the ranges by Otterburn when a tractor and the fuckwit sales rep overtaking it decided to take up all the road - I think my arse muscles would have failed before my brakes...."

Cool story bro.... however he was asking about disc brakes for off road.

Reply privately

over a year ago

*Him*Mmmhmmm. I think the jury is out on discs for testing - they're not particularly aero, and probably heavier than equivalent rim brakes. I think the braking advantages are over-rated unless you're a demon descender coming down from the Alps or the Pyrennees. Rim brakes are good for one big descent before needing to cool down - mine have stopped me from 45mph+ on a steep descent in the ranges by Otterburn when a tractor and the fuckwit sales rep overtaking it decided to take up all the road - I think my arse muscles would have failed before my brakes....

Cool story bro.... however he was asking about disc brakes for off road. "

For off road they are essential although I was surprised when I went to watch a national trophy cyclocross recently just how many were still using cantilevers, although I suspect if you own multiple bikes amd wheels it's probably down to cost.

On the road, I'd use them on a commuting bike but they arent necessary for racing amd are being pushed by the industry for racing as it loves to make old components obsolete

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Where do you stand on e-bikes? I think for the old, disabled or completely out of shape they're great. But again the industry seem to want us all on them. Its the first time I'd like to see some new legislation for a long time.

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"Where do you stand on e-bikes? I think for the old, disabled or completely out of shape they're great. But again the industry seem to want us all on them. Its the first time I'd like to see some new legislation for a long time. "
Electric cargo bikes might make sense, but so far I haven't seen an electric bike I'd like to use... Maybe as I get on a bit a standard road frame with a motor in the downtube might suit me, but in terms of getting more people cycling I think they're a good answer to the wrong question.

Reply privately

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

I think ill stick to my excercise bike .....its safer ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Where do you stand on e-bikes? I think for the old, disabled or completely out of shape they're great. But again the industry seem to want us all on them. Its the first time I'd like to see some new legislation for a long time. Electric cargo bikes might make sense, but so far I haven't seen an electric bike I'd like to use... Maybe as I get on a bit a standard road frame with a motor in the downtube might suit me, but in terms of getting more people cycling I think they're a good answer to the wrong question."

If I had the money, I’d buy one for my dad so he could come out with me on the mountain bike more. He’s 68 and struggles a bit now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Cycled into town and back today... Only 9 miles but it nearly killed me!

Perhaps it was the freezing conditions coupled with the rail end if this cold/cough.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Tail end

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m supposed to be out tomorrow morning, I’m already looking for excuses.

Is it ok to drive to the cafe stop?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not sure if it's been mentioned but a good bike fit is essential if you want to enjoy your riding.

Doesn't make sense to spend big bucks on the bike and ignore the biomechanics.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"Not sure if it's been mentioned but a good bike fit is essential if you want to enjoy your riding.

Doesn't make sense to spend big bucks on the bike and ignore the biomechanics."

Absolutely

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Where do you stand on e-bikes? I think for the old, disabled or completely out of shape they're great. But again the industry seem to want us all on them. Its the first time I'd like to see some new legislation for a long time. "

If you mean the electric bikes with the magic wheels that SKY allegedly use then I;m really not a fan!

But joking aside I love them. They open up cycling to many more people and to me that;s a good thing

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Where do you stand on e-bikes? I think for the old, disabled or completely out of shape they're great. But again the industry seem to want us all on them. Its the first time I'd like to see some new legislation for a long time.

If you mean the electric bikes with the magic wheels that SKY allegedly use then I;m really not a fan!

But joking aside I love them. They open up cycling to many more people and to me that;s a good thing"

As long as you don't mind paying the same as you would for a second hand family car..

Reply privately

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh.

Anyone needing advice on cycling is welcome to ask me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That was the strongest wind I’ve ever ridden in, 50 miles of slog

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise, a slow 100K plod in a bloomin' cold north easterly !

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"That was the strongest wind I’ve ever ridden in, 50 miles of slog "

That was horrible today. Wasn't worth the knee damage imo.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"That was the strongest wind I’ve ever ridden in, 50 miles of slog "

Thats why I change over to spinning in the winter. Youre a better woman than I am.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm struggling with the cycling at the moment. I bought a new bike back in October and I just cannot get to grips with the new saddle. My undercarriage is in tatters! It's the same brand as the bike ice been using for the previous 4+ years (Trek), but the saddle is ruthless. Where I was previously quite happy doing sixty mile weekend trips, I'm now finding just my five mile each way commute painful. I've resolved to buy a new one to keep my arse intact. Any recommendations?

Reply privately

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

Charge are well thought of as far as saddles go.

Specialized do a saddle use or return deal so may be worth talking to a dealership?

Managed 23 miles today before my friend hit the deck thanks to ice.

We binned it off & came home, not risking a broken hip.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm struggling with the cycling at the moment. I bought a new bike back in October and I just cannot get to grips with the new saddle. My undercarriage is in tatters! It's the same brand as the bike ice been using for the previous 4+ years (Trek), but the saddle is ruthless. Where I was previously quite happy doing sixty mile weekend trips, I'm now finding just my five mile each way commute painful. I've resolved to buy a new one to keep my arse intact. Any recommendations? "

ISM Adamo but saddles are very personal, most shops do test versions!

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"I'm struggling with the cycling at the moment. I bought a new bike back in October and I just cannot get to grips with the new saddle. My undercarriage is in tatters! It's the same brand as the bike ice been using for the previous 4+ years (Trek), but the saddle is ruthless. Where I was previously quite happy doing sixty mile weekend trips, I'm now finding just my five mile each way commute painful. I've resolved to buy a new one to keep my arse intact. Any recommendations? "

Really good lycra shorts/bid

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm struggling with the cycling at the moment. I bought a new bike back in October and I just cannot get to grips with the new saddle. My undercarriage is in tatters! It's the same brand as the bike ice been using for the previous 4+ years (Trek), but the saddle is ruthless. Where I was previously quite happy doing sixty mile weekend trips, I'm now finding just my five mile each way commute painful. I've resolved to buy a new one to keep my arse intact. Any recommendations?

Really good lycra shorts/bid "

Plus chamois cream.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"I'm struggling with the cycling at the moment. I bought a new bike back in October and I just cannot get to grips with the new saddle. My undercarriage is in tatters! It's the same brand as the bike ice been using for the previous 4+ years (Trek), but the saddle is ruthless. Where I was previously quite happy doing sixty mile weekend trips, I'm now finding just my five mile each way commute painful. I've resolved to buy a new one to keep my arse intact. Any recommendations?

Plus chamois cream."

Omg yes dont forget the cream.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Plus you don't get killed by lorries. "

I only used a HR monitor for recovery, apart from that it was get out and enjoy. See if you can get up billinge lump using a 53/14 instead of a 15 that you used yesterday, but you had to do it sitting down. Then heading towards Appleby bridge, see if you could beat the 52mph that you did last time. The only thing I did after that was to try and beat the time it took me to do the ride last time. Who needs power meters when you can actually enjoy the ride.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Plus chamois cream.

Omg yes dont forget the cream. "

Prologo saddles for me on all three of my bike as I find them so comfortable that it doesn't cross my mind at the end of an all day ride.

I've never tried or needed chamois cream but I guess the appeal of it could be down to who you get to rub it in for you..??

Reply privately

over a year ago

So I'm working away with work soon, so getting on my bike midweek will be problematic.

Got a couple of 100 milers coming up and now I'm worried about getting in enough miles.

Is turbo enough mid week?

Reply privately

By *xplicitMan
over a year ago

donegal

" So I'm working away with work soon, so getting on my bike midweek will be problematic.

Got a couple of 100 milers coming up and now I'm worried about getting in enough miles.

Is turbo enough mid week? "

Lots of competetive cyclists have to rely on turbo training so the answer is yes..but look up some good routines and dont just sit pedalling on it...and get out when you can at weekends..

Reply privately

over a year ago

" So I'm working away with work soon, so getting on my bike midweek will be problematic.

Lots of competetive cyclists have to rely on turbo training so the answer is yes..but look up some good routines and dont just sit pedalling on it...and get out when you can at weekends.. "

I’ve been doing lots of 1 hour set sessions on the turbo but when I did 50 miles last weekend I was rubbish after about 90 mins, I was extremely windy though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Lots of competetive cyclists have to rely on turbo training so the answer is yes..but look up some good routines and dont just sit pedalling on it...and get out when you can at weekends..

I’ve been doing lots of 1 hour set sessions on the turbo but when I did 50 miles last weekend I was rubbish after about 90 mins, I was extremely windy though. "

#carbthefuckup!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Try Zwift, you needs hours in the saddle if you are doing 100 mike rides, anyone who says different is wrong

Reply privately

By *ed PlanetCouple
over a year ago

Beautiful East Yorkshire

Reading with interest!

Reply privately

By *xplicitMan
over a year ago

donegal

I’ve been doing lots of 1 hour set sessions on the turbo but when I did 50 miles last weekend I was rubbish after about 90 mins, I was extremely windy though. "

..turbos very helpful this time of year...but you still need to eat right and get out in the elements.Wind is like that kid in school that made your life hell...you just wanna kick its ass..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Try Zwift, you needs hours in the saddle if you are doing 100 mike rides, anyone who says different is wrong"

Been using it for a couple of years, definitely helps with the boredom.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Try Zwift, you needs hours in the saddle if you are doing 100 mike rides, anyone who says different is wrong

Been using it for a couple of years, definitely helps with the boredom. "

Man up and buy an mtb! It's not boring off road, and no-one says "sorry i didn't you mate " when you're on their bonnet!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Try Zwift, you needs hours in the saddle if you are doing 100 mike rides, anyone who says different is wrong

Man up and buy an mtb! It's not boring off road, and no-one says "sorry i didn't you mate "

when you're on their bonnet! "

Ha ha, I have what was a half decent xc bike when I bought it 10 years ago, hardly use it these days.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Edinburgh.

It I could possibly be food. But the demand on the road is far more dynamic. Was the 50 miles with other people?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve been doing lots of 1 hour set sessions on the turbo but when I did 50 miles last weekend I was rubbish after about 90 mins, I was extremely windy though.

It I could possibly be food. But the demand on the road is far more dynamic. Was the 50 miles with other people?"

I’ve no doubt it was food, it was supposed to be a 2 hour fasted ride. Cafe stop was a welcome sight.

It Was a group ride.

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Man up and buy an mtb! It's not boring off road, and no-one says "sorry i didn't you mate "

when you're on their bonnet!

Ha ha, I have what was a half decent xc bike when I bought it 10 years ago, hardly use it these days. "

Ah come on, you're never too old to ride mtb! But you can be too old for lycra....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cube all the way baby

Reply privately

over a year ago

Edinburgh.

It I could possibly be food. But the demand on the road is far more dynamic. Was the 50 miles with other people?

I’ve no doubt it was food, it was supposed to be a 2 hour fasted ride. Cafe stop was a welcome sight.

It Was a group ride. "

Why would you want to fast? If you are not racing it’s not worth suffering over. Besides the more you ride the more food efficient you will become. At this time of year use a good carb drink and a thermal bottle so it’s pleasant to swig. Carry one bottle and the right amount of powder to make a 2nd at the cafe when you change your vest. As for midweek get on zwift you can do some great rides on there and motivation is not an issue. It makes training hard quite easy not like the normal pulling teeth turbo training is like.

Reply privately

over a year ago

2 hour fasted ride should have been no more than 35 miles, you can’t ride hard with no food for 3 hours. Eat every hour on the hour

Reply privately

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

Rode 54 miles last Sunday without a cafe stop, just 4 gel sachets as we rode.

3.5hrs so not a fast pace, and it was a flat route as well.

Still, it's easy enough to ride a half century without a food stop if you pace yourself properly.

If we ride a 200km Audax we'll usually only have one proper cafe stop with a couple of quick snacks at the controls.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Bookmarking

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Got my provisional acceptance form and magazine for RideLondon today.... Guess I'd best get out more now!

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Got my provisional acceptance form and magazine for RideLondon today.... Guess I'd best get out more now! "

Oh cool! Well done !

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Got my provisional acceptance form and magazine for RideLondon today.... Guess I'd best get out more now! "

80000 entrants apparently !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Mt poor butt!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Off out round south Liverpool today on my Giant TCR

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Off out round south Liverpool today on my Giant TCR"

careful it’s a bit icy

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

Does anyone know about planning regs for putting a cycle storage on your front garden?

Reply privately

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Going to buy a Cyclo Cross bike to speed up my Trans Pennine Trail riding. Anyone got any advice?

Reply privately

By *ranfondoMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"Going to buy a Cyclo Cross bike to speed up my Trans Pennine Trail riding. Anyone got any advice? "

Depends on budget but several of my customers use CAADX Cannondale....one even used his in Sweden last November... Ally frame, cable discs and 105...

Reply privately

By *ranfondoMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

[Removed by poster at 04/03/18 08:43:46]

Reply privately

By *ranfondoMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

right that is the winter over.... just managed to service my Bianchi and swap out the cables and bar tape.... ready to roll... Any Cambridgeshire Swinging Cyclists out there looking for a social ride

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Soooooo.... Done no training for RideLondon yet! I was bought a turbo for indoor training but need to replace the rear axle thing as it won't sit in the turbo right. Is this easy or do I need to take it to a shop?

I've bought the part but am scared cos its on the rear wheel with all the gears and shit. Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Going to buy a Cyclo Cross bike to speed up my Trans Pennine Trail riding. Anyone got any advice? "

Get a car!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Got a giant tcx good off n on road,got 35mm continental speed cross tyres on goes well on gravel tracks n road

Reply privately

By *apeyeMan
over a year ago

worcester

All cyclists should be banned from our roads until they pass a test, have insurance and pay road tax. You have to if you drive a car, lorry or s bus, even motorcycle users have to so why not cyclists ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"All cyclists should be banned from our roads until they pass a test, have insurance and pay road tax. You have to if you drive a car, lorry or s bus, even motorcycle users have to so why not cyclists ??"

No such thing as road tax mate.

Reply privately

By *apeyeMan
over a year ago

worcester

Insurance ?

Road test ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Insurance ?

Road test ?"

What sort of age would you like to start testing and insuring these pedestrians from? While the stabilizers are still on,or off?

Reply privately

By *apeyeMan
over a year ago

worcester

As soon as their wheels go on a public road

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"As soon as their wheels go on a public road"

Right..... best you contact your local MP and demand action! Id like to hear the child getting their insurance quote! " So you're age 5, how many years riding have you had? Still on a tricycle, ok. And any modifications to the vehicle? Tassles, spokey dokeys and a hooter. Will you be fitting a card into the wheel to produce a motorcycle sound?"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"All cyclists should be banned from our roads until they pass a test, have insurance and pay road tax. You have to if you drive a car, lorry or s bus, even motorcycle users have to so why not cyclists ??"

I'll join you on that (except the road tax error), as soon as something approaching a majority of vehicle drivers drive safely with regard for the lives of pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers.

Reply privately

By *apeyeMan
over a year ago

worcester

So if I cyclist causes a road accident and there’s damages to other vehicles, who pays ??

Reply privately

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple
over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

Recently moved to Cardiff. Have an old but decent MTB. Anyone know of any offroad groups around the area ....suitable for an unfit old phart who needs to ease back into the sport slowly?!!

[Really don't think my lycra is going to fit any more!]

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Ok a cyclist can cause an accident yes of course . But a car or a van or a lorry can kill instantly . I don't think I've ever heard of a multi vehicle pile up caused by a cyclist ever on the news . Plus it's better for the environment and keeps me fitter and more well off than paying for all the crap that motorists shell out for . On the other hand I agree that motorists do have to shell out way too much to drive .

Reply privately

By *REEN GRASSMan
over a year ago

worcester

Insurance should be mandatory for all road users.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it sad that a thread discussing people's own cycling exploits is now going to turn in to an anti-cyclist argument.

Of course your point is a valid one worthy of discussion but maybe a new thread rather than this one (that most forumites probably ignore anyway( would be a better place for the discussion

Reply privately

over a year ago

"All cyclists should be banned from our roads until they pass a test, have insurance and pay road tax. You have to if you drive a car, lorry or s bus, even motorcycle users have to so why not cyclists ??

No such thing as road tax mate. "

And bikes would be exempt anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

You'll struggle to beat planet x for value.

But plenty of 2017 models reduced at the moment

Reply privately

By *REEN GRASSMan
over a year ago

worcester

One rule for one

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Insurance should be mandatory for all road users.

"

So how much do you think cyclists should pay for insurance then . Surely not the same amount as a motorist??

Reply privately

By *REEN GRASSMan
over a year ago

worcester

That all depends on risk and previous accident stats as all other insurance does

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"That all depends on risk and previous accident stats as all other insurance does"
Ok that's sensible. I'm not all against your argument I just feel it demeans the whole point of cycling which is to keep active and not add to pollution !!

Reply privately

By *REEN GRASSMan
over a year ago

worcester

I’m all for that, trust me but I strongly feel that if a cyclist caused damage to another vehicle or cause a serious road accident what recourse has the victim got against the cyclist if needed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Many cyclists have insurance. Either specialist policies incorporated in the race licence/membership via the likes of British Cycling and British Triathlon or providers like Cycling England. Oh and then there is the personal liability insurance incorporated into some home insurance policies.

But don't let facts like thst get in the way...

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"I’m all for that, trust me but I strongly feel that if a cyclist caused damage to another vehicle or cause a serious road accident what recourse has the victim got against the cyclist if needed."
At the moment probably none so I understand your point i honestly do . Maybe some other law needs to be enacted to protect drivers in that situation .

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Soooooo.... Done no training for RideLondon yet! I was bought a turbo for indoor training but need to replace the rear axle thing as it won't sit in the turbo right. Is this easy or do I need to take it to a shop?

I've bought the part but am scared cos its on the rear wheel with all the gears and shit. Lol "

Ignore the trolls boring on... No one has answered my question lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

salisbury

"Soooooo.... Done no training for RideLondon yet! I was bought a turbo for indoor training but need to replace the rear axle thing as it won't sit in the turbo right. Is this easy or do I need to take it to a shop?

I've bought the part but am scared cos its on the rear wheel with all the gears and shit. Lol

Ignore the trolls boring on... No one has answered my question lol "

Didn't it come with a new axle thing?

Reply privately

By *ranfondoMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Ignore the trolls boring on... No one has answered my question lol "

Turbo's usually come with a matching QR Skewer... you also might want to go for a turbo tyre if you are going to use the kit for a decent amount of time...

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Didn't it come with a new axle thing? "

No.... I bought one off amazon though

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Didn't it come with a new axle thing?

No.... I bought one off amazon though "

It's OK.... I YouTubed it! All set up now but my watch is on charge

Reply privately

By *360Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

Anyone around Nottinghamshire?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I managed 15 miles around the hills today - great wee ride to blow the cobwebs away

Reply privately

over a year ago

Close to 50 miles with not far off 4000 ft climbing today. Walking like tin man

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 26/03/18 00:36:54]

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Most schools do a mandatory bikabilty test for the kids, this allows the kids to ride to school.

As for insurance, this is covered by a house insurance policy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most schools do a mandatory bikabilty test for the kids, this allows the kids to ride to school.

As for insurance, this is covered by a house insurance policy. "

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ll be around Sefton Park in Liverpool this afternoon on my TCR doing laps. Triathlon training again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I did 10 miles yesterday, other than the occassonal watt bike session at the gym that's all I've done all year. And I only did those 10 miles because I needed to pop in to my office!

I've got my first triathlon in August, I probably need to do a little more. Mind you I'm way ahead with with the cycling than I am the swimming!

Reply privately

By *ngman70Man
over a year ago

Between Christcrch and New Forest

Building for a 100 mile charity ride in May. So far doing 50% of the distance and 66% of the proposed speed. Lot to do I think but ordered my road tyres last night so hopefully help over my hybrids

Reply privately

By *heIcebreakersCouple
over a year ago

Cramlington

"Most schools do a mandatory bikabilty test for the kids, this allows the kids to ride to school.

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it."

Schools should be banned form requiring bikability or other things before kids can bike to school. It's faintly ridiculous, and just puts kids off....

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

My first ride in five months yesterday. 29 miles in good weather conditions. Want to build up for Cambridge to Whitby in May. Cherbourg to Le Havre in June. As much of the Loire valley as possible - a week in July.

Feeling a little stiff from yesterday

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it.Schools should be banned form requiring bikability or other things before kids can bike to school. It's faintly ridiculous, and just puts kids off...."

So you’re saying that kids should cycle to school before they are taught how to do it safely. Bearing in mind the age of kids doing Bikeablility is 9 and 10. Would you let a 17 year old out on the road in a car to drive to meet the driving instructor for the first time with no experience and having had no lessons?

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it."

The school near us have a test in a mock up of a road in the school playground.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it.Schools should be banned form requiring bikability or other things before kids can bike to school. It's faintly ridiculous, and just puts kids off....

So you’re saying that kids should cycle to school before they are taught how to do it safely. Bearing in mind the age of kids doing Bikeablility is 9 and 10. Would you let a 17 year old out on the road in a car to drive to meet the driving instructor for the first time with no experience and having had no lessons?"

Wow.

How far from the point is that?

You can't even compare a kid riding to school on a bike, to a numptie driving a car without prior training.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it.

The school near us have a test in a mock up of a road in the school playground."

That is Level 1, the playground part is where the children are taught how to get on and off the bike, starting and stopping, looking behind and signalling. If they can’t do any of that they don’t progress to Level 2 on the road

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s no test in Bikeability, it’s just a course in years 5 or 6 to teach the children road safety and to show them how to ride a bike safely on the road. We teach them how to stop/start, emergency stops, positioning, how to negotiate left and right turns at junctions, how to pass parked cars and of course the life saver look. There’s no pass or fail although some children are advised to only ride with a adult. We prefer to have them in year 5 so they can get to do it again in year 6 if they weren’t so good or missed the course when their class did it.Schools should be banned form requiring bikability or other things before kids can bike to school. It's faintly ridiculous, and just puts kids off....

So you’re saying that kids should cycle to school before they are taught how to do it safely. Bearing in mind the age of kids doing Bikeablility is 9 and 10. Would you let a 17 year old out on the road in a car to drive to meet the driving instructor for the first time with no experience and having had no lessons?

Wow.

How far from the point is that?

You can't even compare a kid riding to school on a bike, to a numptie driving a car without prior training. "

So you agree that schools should be banned from offering Bikeability? What if some of the children don’t have bikes? We take bikes to the schools so everyone can take part and learn a really important life skill that could actually save their life

Reply privately

over a year ago

Edinburgh.

The school near us have a test in a mock up of a road in the school playground.

That is Level 1, the playground part is where the children are taught how to get on and off the bike, starting and stopping, looking behind and signalling. If they can’t do any of that they don’t progress to Level 2 on the road "

Don’t think for a second that that sort of attitude helps cycling.

If my kid wants to cycle to school you will be sure they will be better on a bike than you are.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Rode too and from work yesterday. A round trip of 20 miles. My knees hurt though.... Think my cleats need adjusting.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Plus chamois cream.

Omg yes dont forget the cream.

Prologo saddles for me on all three of my bike as I find them so comfortable that it doesn't cross my mind at the end of an all day ride.

I've never tried or needed chamois cream but I guess the appeal of it could be down to who you get to rub it in for you..?? "

I used to use condor carbon saddles, expense but we'll worth the price.

My dad swore by Brooks saddles, sadly I just swore at them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My local club TT's start this evening... it's going to hurt big time but will be interesting to see if I've made any fitness gains on this time last year

Reply privately