FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What was youre FAVE childhood food and best school dinner and pudding? and "worse!"

Jump to newest

By *ssentialminx2011 OP   Couple
over a year ago

sheffield

My fave dinner as a child ~ Was my mum's home cooked "Saunder's Butcher's" pigs liver & beef sausage in thick onion oxo gravy(thickened with flour) ,with gawjus buttery mashed potatoes & tinned garden peas !!! ~i can taste it now!!

my nannan taught my mum & me to cook ,just the same !! so my Sunday lunch ,STILL taste exctly like my Nans TODAY!! (ESPECIALLY MY YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS) LOL ~THAT I "STILL cook in the nannan 50yr old original "fray Bentos" pie tins ~ that are sooooo much thicker & heavier than the one' made today!!

& mums homemade rice pudding ~ cooked in the oven @the side of the back bolier fire in the "house" (we'd call it the house & the "ROOM" lol instaed of dining room & Lounge???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

sheffield

I adored my "school dinners!!"

We had luvlie school meals i can remember & would run up the little slope to queue up outside the two massive light blue solid doors of the Dining room @ our Infants school,where my mum worked!!

(so even @ school i could see my mummy)

All the meals were luvlie ,but i especially loved Sausage pie with stuffing in it!! & my fave school pudding would have to be Manchester tart OMG!! IT WAS TO DIE FOR!!! ~ a HARD SWEET Pastry base,lined with raspberry school jam,sliced fresh Banana's ,thick cold custard ,topped with dessicated coconut & ahalf of a glaze cherry!!! "BRING IT ON !! XX

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mince and dumplings was my fave. Or steak pie and mash and cabbage. I LOVED ginger pud and white sauce.

Everyone was gutted when one particular thing was served. If you were on second sitting you would be greeted by first sitting leaving the dining hall with solemn faces and the dreaded words............................................................................................... yella fish!!!!!

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

"I adored my "school dinners!!"

We had luvlie school meals i can remember & would run up the little slope to queue up outside the two massive light blue solid doors of the Dining room @ our Infants school,where my mum worked!!

(so even @ school i could see my mummy)

All the meals were luvlie ,but i especially loved Sausage pie with stuffing in it!! & my fave school pudding would have to be Manchester tart OMG!! IT WAS TO DIE FOR!!! ~ a HARD SWEET Pastry base,lined with raspberry school jam,sliced fresh Banana's ,thick cold custard ,topped with dessicated coconut & ahalf of a glaze cherry!!! "BRING IT ON !! XX

"

ooo Manchester tart, that was scrummy.

Liver at school put me off for years. Only when someone made me liver, sausage and bacon casserole 5 years ago that I started eating it again.

Roast dinner , whatever meat, always a fave at home when we all sat round a table

over a year ago

we had a bad do with food in Leics

pizzas ya could use as placemats

fishfingers from the year dot

baked beans that had been captured from the Afrika corps in WWII - well they sure as heck tasted *that* bad.

On the plus side - fleur de lys pies, and treacle sponge tart with half decent custard if you got in early enough

Half the time I used to go home and have me dinners there instead, it were a much better option - specially when the college that cooked the food went on strike, and everyone suddenly had packed lunches dolled out in brown paper bags for the next 18mths (the sandwiches weren't for the faint hearted... a near death experience in every one )

Even the flies didn't hang around the scraps in the bins

Wolf

over a year ago

Stewed rhubarb or gooseberries with lumpy custard must be top of my list of "hates".

Best is likely to be apple turnovers, and baked rolly pollies.

School dinners, happy days!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Any chance of putting yer capitals in bold type? Ta xx

over a year ago

my fav school dinner was an egg and cheese roll, not a bread roll but mixed with mash and rolled in breadcrumbs and then baked till crispy on the outside, yummmmmmmmmmmmm,and pudding has got to be banana and custard,

the worst dinner was everything with meat in it ,YUKKKKKKKKKKKK

over a year ago

hmmm school dinner would be pizza, chips n beans the pizzas were AMAZING. pudding was apple cake and custard. the cake was so fluffy n light with a gooey apple centre

i loved the dinnerladies they were like a group of mums serving us all

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Mince crumble and was always followed by Manchester tart. The other one was choclate sponge and pink custard

Most hated, Liver and Onions and Semolina /Tapioca yuk

over a year ago

At school i liked spam sallad and spotty dick for pudding. At home i liked boiled fish, liver and onions, and semolina.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I once went to a primary school in Stourbridge, in the West Midlands. (This was back in mid 60's).

To say it was "grim" was an understatement! Lunches were no exception!

The regular meat dish was so bad, you couldn't tell the difference from the meat, potatoes and veg! As for fish options, you couldn't tell what the fish had orginally been; it was pure mush!!

The Dessert was always, Prunes, Bananas & Custard; every day!

There was an option for pupils to take in packed lunches made by parents, but these pupile couldn't eat in the main lunch hall; they were relegated to an adjoining classroom to eat their lunces there.

But the authorities realised that lunches had become so bad when one week, there wasn't any space to accommodate all the pupils with packed lunches, whose numbers were twice those taking the school provided lunch!

The meals improved considerably from then on.

over a year ago

"I once went to a primary school in Stourbridge, in the West Midlands. (This was back in mid 60's).

The regular meat dish was so bad, you couldn't tell the difference from the meat, potatoes and veg! As for fish options, you couldn't tell what the fish had orginally been; it was pure mush!!

There was an option for pupils to take in packed lunches made by parents, but these pupile couldn't eat in the main lunch hall; they were relegated to an adjoining classroom to eat their lunces there.

But the authorities realised that lunches had become so bad when one week, there wasn't any space to accommodate all the pupils with packed lunches, whose numbers were twice those taking the school provided lunch!

The meals improved considerably from then on."

Sounds like a but like the Fish ( and i use that term loosely) we had, Yellow it was, whether this was because it ws smoked, or it had just gone off, i don't know but it made me sick...literally

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"I once went to a primary school in Stourbridge, in the West Midlands. (This was back in mid 60's).

The meals improved considerably from then on."

Prunes and custard. Agh memories.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

School dinners..

Chocolate sponge and cold custard

Spam fritters

Apple crumble

over a year ago

sheffield

That's so true !!!

At school i absolutely hated boiled "parsnips" and EVERYONE would be made to clear THEIR plates!

If you were a fussy eater ,they even had the back two tables especially "for slow eaters!!" ~ where a dinner lady would sit and (if necessary) would hand feed ya!! :-0

Know1 was EVER allowed to leave that dining hall,unless your plate was empty!!

OMG!! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT BEEN ALLOWED TO HAPPEN TODAY???!!!!!

Just like that other member with the liver casserole,i went for Sunday lunch to my ex mum~in~laws & absolutely adored her "ROASTED PARSNIPS" OMG gawjus!

over a year ago

sheffield

Who can remember "Banana Whip" with a handmade shortbread.

Chocolate Sponge & Chocolate custard

Yes !!Ohhh yesss!! "Sausage plait"

Carls just said his school Roast potatoes were the best ever!! * and his fave pudd was Apple crumble (but then again~ it still is today !! (mine)

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Only remember the desserts ...chocolate concrete with pink custard purrrrlease!!!!

over a year ago

"Only remember the desserts ...chocolate concrete with pink custard purrrrlease!!!! "

Pink custard? We never had that! What was in it?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Only remember the desserts ...chocolate concrete with pink custard purrrrlease!!!!

Pink custard? We never had that! What was in it?"

Dunno, it was fabulous though, i used to like nibbling the skin off the top....

over a year ago

"Only remember the desserts ...chocolate concrete with pink custard purrrrlease!!!!

Pink custard? We never had that! What was in it?Dunno, it was fabulous though, i used to like nibbling the skin off the top.... "

I will take your word for it. I would wonder if the custard cook had cum on.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Pink custard? We never had that! What was in it?Dunno, it was fabulous though, i used to like nibbling the skin off the top....

I will take your word for it. I would wonder if the custard cook had cum on. "

I was young n naive so it never occurred to me

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

the worst dessert ever was chocolate semolina yuk yuk yuk

Post new Message to Thread