FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The dog and I are fine, the tent is a goner though, boo hoo!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For those of you who worried about me camping in Dorset in the past few days, the dog and I are home now, safe and sound.

I guess the inevitable has to happen sooner or later, and I am glad it happens now at the end of my camping season, and not next year when I am spending 2 weeks in Scotland!

The top section of my tent collapsed during the night. The dog and I were sleeping in the car when it happened, so no harm came to us.

Rescue mission was only temporary successful, and further gusty winds broke the tent - two of the sleeves holding the poles ripped beyond repair.

Hence I had no choice except to pack up and came home one day early.

At the end of the day, the wind is mightier than the tent.

I can do cold and rain, however, I need a much better tent in order to cope with the wind.

I have 8 months to save up for a canvas tent with steel poles that is the bee's knees, wish me luck!

Although I am still slightly shaken by the event, and my pride is slightly bruised, it is not deterred me from camping.

Roll on next June when I shall have my first trip!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Was thinking about you earlier. Glad you are ok x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Glad to hear you are safe ...... Fab's Intrepid Explorer x

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Sorry to hear about your sad loss, I love my tent(s)... but on the bright side....... something to put on the list to Santa.

By *ubbleandSqueakMan
over a year ago

mansfield

glad u ok was thinking of a new stile tent cus of space but looks like the old 1 going 2 get some treatment then

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

With how bad the winds have been i'd say you've been quite lucky and think of the fun shopping for a new one

over a year ago

Glad to hear you are both safe and well

I was getting a little tents with concern earlier

Poor attempt at humour there... I'll grab my coat

over a year ago

glad you and the little dog home safe and sound xx

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

glad you are safe and the dog x

over a year ago

glad you n dog are all safe and well, but on a technical note what tent were you in, im looking for new one but want one that dond collapse in the wind.

over a year ago

The dog came into the house, had a bit of food, and he is now asleep on the bed in peace and quiet, bless him!

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Glad you're both back safe and sound xx

over a year ago

"glad you n dog are all safe and well, but on a technical note what tent were you in, im looking for new one but want one that dond collapse in the wind."

Khyam Freelander.

IMHO, it would be advisable to get a frame tent with steel poles instead of reinforced fibre glass, if one is planning to camp for more than a couple of days.

I am saving up for a Cabonon Guadeloupe tent or something similar.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Glad you and pooh are safe Pearl!!! Maybe we could have a whip round for a tent fund for you

now.....if only we knew someone who sells camping stuff....

over a year ago

Good to hear at least the car was safe for you...... if yer new tent gets scuppered when you're in Scotland, feel free to visit us

over a year ago

Glad yous r ok,when ur doing ur wee tour of scotland get intouch and il make u sum of my midgie spray (youl need it) and if ur near loch lomond me and ann will come over for a wee drink.

Take care x

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

Had visions of pearl (Dorothy) and your dog (toto) being swept off through the waste lands of Kansas by the hurricane

over a year ago

"Glad you and pooh are safe Pearl!!! Maybe we could have a whip round for a tent fund for you

now.....if only we knew someone who sells camping stuff.... "

He does not stock the brand of tents I am after, nevermind.

over a year ago

"Had visions of pearl (Dorothy) and your dog (toto) being swept off through the waste lands of Kansas by the hurricane "

Ha ha, very funny!

over a year ago

"Glad yous r ok,when ur doing ur wee tour of scotland get intouch and il make u sum of my midgie spray (youl need it) and if ur near loch lomond me and ann will come over for a wee drink.

Take care x"

I rely on Marmite and garlic, and so far, bugs have stayed away from me.

However, I shall be prepared for the legendary Scottish midgies!

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Glad you are both home safe & sound Pearl xx

over a year ago

I see your sense of humor remains undamaged, Pearl, glad you are safe xx

over a year ago

Good to read your safe and sound

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Glad you and pooh are safe Pearl!!! Maybe we could have a whip round for a tent fund for you

now.....if only we knew someone who sells camping stuff....

He does not stock the brand of tents I am after, nevermind. "

Well he is just bloody useless!!!!!

over a year ago

Glad you are all safe and well - but did nobody actually warn you there was a bloody hurricane on the way !!!

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

You should have given me a shout and I`d have come running to take you for a stiff one ..... a drink you filthy minded lot!

over a year ago

Never much seen the point of swapping four solid walls, a TV, heating and a comfy bed for walls that flap around in the night.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Never much seen the point of swapping four solid walls, a TV, heating and a comfy bed for walls that flap around in the night. "

Thought you'd be partial to a decent set of flaps Wishy.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

"For those of you who worried about me camping in Dorset in the past few days, the dog and I are home now, safe and sound.

I guess the inevitable has to happen sooner or later, and I am glad it happens now at the end of my camping season, and not next year when I

am spending 2 weeks in Scotland!

The top section of my tent collapsed during the night. The dog and I were sleeping in the car when it happened, so no harm came to us.

Rescue mission was only temporary successful, and further gusty winds broke the tent - two of the sleeves holding the poles ripped beyond repair.

I can do cold and rain, however, I need a much better tent in order to cope with the wind.

I have 8 months to save up for a canvas tent with steel poles that is the bee's knees, wish me luck!

Although I am still slightly shaken by the event, and my pride is slightly bruised, it is not deterred me from camping.

Roll on next June when I shall have my first trip! "

I think you are extremely brave camping alone. give me a mobile home any day. .. even a small one has all the things u need at least it is more secure . Glad you got home safe and sound

over a year ago

buy ray mears book

over a year ago

"Never much seen the point of swapping four solid walls, a TV, heating and a comfy bed for walls that flap around in the night.

Thought you'd be partial to a decent set of flaps Wishy. "

The only flaps I'm interested in don't require nailing down to a muddy field... having said that though... hmmmm

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Glad you and pooch are ok xxx

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

"For those of you who worried about me camping in Dorset in the past few days, the dog and I are home now, safe and sound.

I guess the inevitable has to happen sooner or later, and I am glad it happens now at the end of my camping season, and not next year when I am spending 2 weeks in Scotland!

Roll on next June when I shall have my first trip! "

if you need a good tent,,i know where you get army grade ones,lol,,some have a pool in them,,well a spade supplied to dig it out,lol

over a year ago

glad to hear you and your doggey are safe and well, having been blasted last week by high winds and tropical rainfall in norfolk, I know how you feel.

over a year ago

"Glad you are all safe and well - but did nobody actually warn you there was a bloody hurricane on the way !!! "

I knew about the adverse weather, however, this is my last main holiday to do as I please, and the last camping trip for the season.

Hence I was determined to give it a go.

In the end, the tent was not up to it, shame.

over a year ago

"You should have given me a shout and I`d have come running to take you for a stiff one ..... a drink you filthy minded lot! "

Awww, thanks, however, I was too busy packing up before the whole lot got blown away!

over a year ago

"You should have given me a shout and I`d have come running to take you for a stiff one ..... a drink you filthy minded lot!

Awww, thanks, however, I was too busy packing up before the whole lot got blown away! "

Maybe some truth in that old saying " if its not meant for - it will go flying past you"... poor tent x

over a year ago

"

Maybe some truth in that old saying " if its not meant for - it will go flying past you"... poor tent x"

I was sad to see it damaged too, as it had served me well since I bought it for the 2009 season.

I definitely need a better tent and shall save up for one, such as the Cabanon Guadeloupe.

over a year ago

Dont know if you are interested just been on a site called preloved where they sell tents etc and they are selling a cabanon latitude 4 person tent for £175

over a year ago

Sorry your trip ended abruptly Pearl - damn British weather. It will be fun shopping for a super duper tent.

I know nothing about tents, never ever been inside one but I imagine the type you want is pretty expensive. Just think how nice it will be though next time you go

over a year ago

"Dont know if you are interested just been on a site called preloved where they sell tents etc and they are selling a cabanon latitude 4 person tent for £175"

I'll have a look, and thanks!

over a year ago

"Sorry your trip ended abruptly Pearl - damn British weather. It will be fun shopping for a super duper tent.

I know nothing about tents, never ever been inside one but I imagine the type you want is pretty expensive. Just think how nice it will be though next time you go "

My next tent will be a canvas tent, although more expensive, it will be better at withstanding adverse weather conditions, so it is worth it.

Post new Message to Thread