Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you remember?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Exactly where you were, what you were doing this day ten years ago?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I had done an early shift (2am 'til 10am) went home to bed and slept through it all. The first I knew of it was when my husband woke me up, when he got back from work (around 3pm) to tell me.... it took me ages to let it sink in

Bless all affected xxxx

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

at work interviewing students for industrial sponsorship. Went into lecture theatre during a break and could not believe what I was seeing.

over a year ago

Working in Central Headquarters of the West Midlands Fire Service...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/09/11 11:42:20]

over a year ago

i had just been down to the shops and i walked in just as they were showing the 1st plane hitting the tower .i thought i was watching a film untill the newsreader explained what was happening.god bless all those effected by the terrible events that accurred 10 yrs ago today

over a year ago

Was in tractor ploughing seemed as if i was listening to a film soundtrack

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I was working at BT customer services and saw it on the overhead monitors. The switchboard went crazy.

By *herry n JonesyCouple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire / Leicester

I was at work in Watford and my overriding memory from that day, apart from the disbelief at what was happening, was one guy in the office sitting there with a smirk on his face. Odious little shit he was.

over a year ago

Sitting in a bar in Vagator Goa having a drink. The volume on the tv was down, thought it was a film until we realised they were showing the same thing over and over again..

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was ground crew at an airport, loading and off loading the exact same type of aircraft that were used on that day.

First thought when someone said "a plane has hit Wtc" was a little Cessna or something.

Even now, no matter how often you see it on Tv, still a disbelieving look and a cold shiver rips through your body at the sight of it happening.

When i went back to work later,all aircraft grounded, i think that meant "all commercial aircraft in the world" almost.

Because we had a very horrible fear of what the hell next?

Why mention this?

I just think we all should never, not ever forget it!!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Absolutely I was on the 2 pm train from Norwich to London and just as we pulled out of the station K rang me, she worked in a news room at the time, to tell me what was going on and within seconds all the mobiles were going off. One woman started to panic as we got close to London walking along the train saying that London was being evacuated and to stay on the train. We all carried on and I went to a meeting with a government minister and it was if nothing had happened except there were big crowds around all the t.v. shops or other venues that had tellys.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

told this story too many times to remember...

on the 8th of september i was on top of the world trade center...

10 years today it was my first day at work for american epxress.. at 2pm we got taken into a room to let us know what had happen with the 1st plane, and while i was in the meeting I watched the 2nd plane go in...

at that point we were given the rest of the day off..

spent most of the rest of the day trying to ring/text everyone I knew in NYC and in New Jersey...

By *ll of a QuiverCouple
over a year ago

Douglas

We were out shopping in Leeds city centre. We were over there visiting family.

By *rumalexMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

i was working on the 24th Floor in the office block, my manager came out of his office and sent us all home just in case

it was a shock and a sad day

over a year ago

Yep starting my new job, tyring to get through to my mother who had planned to go to the towers that day, she had got hold of my hubby 9at the time) and said if we saw the news not to panic.

They'd gone to the pentagon instead, We then heard about the plane going into the pentagon, Took 2 days to get through and find out they were okay.

They were so lucky to have changed their minds.

My heart goes out to those who actually lost people.

over a year ago

Yep I was doing a repair on a washer-dryer when my ex called me in to see the telly. When I saw what was happening I said...

crikey this films got some cracking special effects

Wolf

By *ubbles55Couple
over a year ago

nelson/burnley

Walking back from the beach in Ayia Napa, Cyprus. Called into a bar as there were lots of people in, thought there was a football match on or something, then saw the big screen at the end of the bar, horrific!!

By *adcowWoman
over a year ago

kirkcaldy

was a student nurse going from one class to another when a girl who's birthday it was got a txt from her brother saying planes had crashed into the buildings. none of us believed it till we finished for the day and we saw it on the news when we got home. it just seemed so unbelievable. the devastation and loss of life caused will never be forgotten

over a year ago

I was at work preparing to go to the TUC to hear Tony Blair speak. Our press officer came in ashen, saying a plane had flown into the WTC. I remember us all switching our pcs to the BBC...watching open mouthed.

The images today still seem unreal...

over a year ago

I was at home in the kitchen baking with my 3 yr old, telly on in the background. I eventually realised what I was seeing and called my lovely at work to tell him about it.

He stopped work and came straight home, made him realise nothing else but myself and the kids meant anything to him.

We didn't turn the telly off for days, just couldn't believe what was unfolding before our eyes.

over a year ago

I was visiting my folks in Vancouver, and was going to pick up a hired car from the airport in readiness for my road trip in the Rockies with my then hubby.

While on the bus, I noticed the roads leading to the airport were very quiet, and when I got there, I was informed about the issues, resulting in no flights going out.

However, they were on standby to receive flights being diverted from US.

While driving back to my folks' in the hired car, I heard on the radio about one of the towers had collapsed.

We went on our tour in the Rockies as planned.

Our return flight a few days later from Calgary was disrupted. Luckily, there were still rooms at a nearby hotel, and we stayed there for the night, and managed to catch a flight back to the UK the next day.

The flight was delayed en-route, compounded by delays on the Gatwick Express, we did not arrive back in London Victoria until 03:30h in the morning.

There was a long queue for taxis, and we eventually arrived back in my flat just gone 05:00h.

Definitely an event to remember for the rest of my life!

By *razydriver8Couple
over a year ago

plymouth

sitting under the stairs on the computer, chatting to some cyber sex buddies in the usa.. one was in new york. but on the other side of the city.. i was telling him what was happening as their news wasnt giving them much info as it happened.

it brought it home to me as we chatted how small the world is and also how big, if you know what i mean..

i remember the shock and the horror, and how sad it made me feel..

By *ilk and SteelCouple
over a year ago

near the fife coast

"Yep I was doing a repair on a washer-dryer when my ex called me in to see the telly. When I saw what was happening I said...

crikey this films got some cracking special effects

Wolf

"

I was waiting on my now hubby and oldest kid coming back from the shops, saw the news flash (on BBC1) and thought the same "ohhh fantastic special effects" because at the time they were making one of the Spiderman films.

I honestly didn't think it was real until hubby came home and we watched it again.

I remember a week later tho when everyone had a minute of silence, I was out shopping with the oldest kid and some teenagers were laughing and joking, when someone said have some respect (or something like that) they just smirked more!!!

Even now its hard to try and explain it to my now teenager, she lived thru it and still doesnt understand why, mind you I dont understand the loss of live either . . . . .

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

I was sat in my car in a traffic jam on the M25 on my way to a meeting in central London and listening to Radio 1. I remember not really connecting with the story when news of the first plane hitting broke, but I can still remember when they said that a second plane had hit. Looking round at the other cars in the jam you could see the shock on people's faces as events unfolded

By *azmissy67Woman
over a year ago

welshpool area

was at home with my youngest who was one - he went down for his afternoon nap so i thought i'd watch abit of telly. Just watched the story unfold and the sheer horror of it all - the realisiation that it was actually a terrorist attack and not just an accident was terrifying. Something that i will never forget

over a year ago

it was my day off and i had been to get my nails done and had an afternoon of shopping planned but while my nails were being done we heard sirens and noticed the street below was filling up with police so one of the girls went down to find out what was going on turned out there was a bomb scare so once my nails were done i headed straight home as they had shut off a huge chunk of the town

as soon as i got in i turned the tv on to try and find some local news to see if there was anything about the bomb scare on it but the picture on the screen just left me dumbfounded the first plane had hit and litterally as i watched i saw the second plane hit i rember clearly shouting at the tv thinking that somehow if i did they would steer away and miss it, odd how ya think shouting at the tv can influence something but i sure wish it could cause trust me i shouted loud n long, i text hubby and told him what was happening and then didn't leave the screen all day i just couldn't move, i still remember the feelings i had everytime i think about it or see clips on the tv it was just incredibly heart wrenching

it never ceases to amaze me how you can feel such tremendous loss even when you don't know a single soul that was lost, i'm not the sort to feel any kind of grieve over the loss of those i don't know as in celebrity losses which are people we kind of get to know in an odd sort of way yet i most certainly felt grief over those lost in the WTC

i also remember feeling huge relief over finding out one guy in particular survived it was the oddest feeling, i remember the next day on the front of some papers was the photo of a firefighter running up the stairs and i cried long and hard over him for some reason i just remember thinking the poor soul running blindly to his death, i cried myself to sleep that night thinking of him and his loved ones that had lost him, so when i heard on GMTV the next morning that he had actually survived was the most amazing news i felt such immense relief

it is truely amazing how something that has absolutly nothing to do with you can effect you so much

it even had a huge effect on our sons it was from then on that they both talked about joining the army to do their part, the oldest can't due to his health issues but our youngest passes out in 12 days time and in 12 months time will get his wish to do his bit with a tour of Afghanistan whilst this scares the life out of me it also makes me so incredibly proud i feel like i could burst

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

I was in work and heard it on the radio, we all just stood there with utter disbelief. Hubby then phoned to tell me he was watching sky news at the time. Then we heard of the 2nd plane hitting the 2nd tower. Even now it sends shivers down my spine.

RIP to all those that lost thier lives and thought to all family and friends that lost loved ones xxx

By *enithWoman
over a year ago

closer than you think

I was on a training course in Oxford when I had a text from my now ex husband saying that a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers.

The training course was very close to Brize Norton and it became very obvious that something was seriously wrong because there were lots of military planes taking off - protecting our skies I suppose?

Awful day will : 10 Long Years. A thousand tears cried. That day still etched in my mind. We will remember ALL who were lost on 911. The day that changed us all forever. RIP.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yes. I was in work. The boss said , ' I am sending everyone home.'

I said why?

He said. 'There's been a plane crash into buildings in America!'

I thought......... So what..

We all went home. Made UP to go home early with pay.

I watched t.v. and listened to the news.

Slowly it dawned.

over a year ago

"Exactly where you were, what you were doing this day ten years ago?"

Yes I was starting my first day on my nvq motorcycle repair course...

cali

over a year ago

I was working as a holiday rep in Greece.... I was actually typing out my letter of resignation when the first plane hit.

I didn't send the letter, because I felt that the guests needed some 'continuity' in terms of their rep. And I'm glad that the UK Government handled the crisis so well, in that holiday flights weren't very much disrupted.

But I will never forget the holiday-maker who whined ceaselessly because he wasn't allowed to take his £1,000 camera as hand-luggage. At this point, (one day after the tragedy) there were rumours that the death toll in America would reach 10,000 souls, and he was worried about a bloody camera! Talk about bloody selfish!

By *hi-John69Man
over a year ago

chichester

sitting at the dining room table realising I wasn't as emotionally strong as I thought I was.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Yes i remember vividly, i will not say anymore than that

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I was in my office at work and had the radio on. I took my team into one of the conference rooms and we watched the news on the telly.

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Yes it was my grandad's funeral so didn't know anything about it until late that evening.

over a year ago

Yes, I was a web developer at the time and I had clients who had friends and colleagues working for Cantor Fitzgerald on floors 101-105 of WT1 and they all perished. The commodities markets were in freefall after the attacks and my clients told me to turn their websites off to prevent any further online trading.

Cantor Fitzgerald lost 600+ employees that day which equated to two-thirds of it's workforce based at WT1.

I spent the rest of that day watching the events unfold on TV, totally dumbfounded and shocked.

over a year ago

sat in a pub near where we live watching in dispare,

over a year ago

I was in the incident room at work, we were watching a video (work related) and someone rang one of the extensions so we switched onto the tv channel

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I was flying into an airport which was under US military control. All the soldiers on immigration etc seemed a bit twitchy although I didnt think anything of it at the time.

Instead of straight home I called in at the office to check my mail and I logged onto BBC News at the same time and then I saw what was happening.

I called my colleagues over and we watched for a few minutes not really able to take in what was happening. Another colleague walked in and just said 'Its Bin Laden'....Id never heard the name before

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I'd finished a block of Night shifts, had slept through the day in the on-site company accommodation but slept in, and went on duty for a 4 hour evening shift.

I came downstairs into Reception around 6pm to do my tour of duty around all the Public areas befoe going to Reception, and I'd never seen the place so quiet at that time of day; normally, the place was "buzzing" as drivers moved around the building.

In the Bar & Restaurant, plus in the Reception Foyer, the giant TV's were on, but everyone was just transfixed to whatever was on the screens.

Only when I asked "what was wrong with everybody?" did I learn what had occurred!

That evening shift is the only one in years of employment when I can virtually recall every moment.

over a year ago

I was in bed after flying back from new york the night before

Post new Message to Thread