Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

EU referendum ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How would you vote if we had one ?

David Cameron faces more pressure for an "in-out" referendum on Europe as a 100,000-name petition is delivered.

A cross-party delegation of MPs and MEPs is due to hand in sacks full of signatures at 10 Downing Street.

The number demanding a referendum is enough to trigger a parliamentary debate on the issue - potentially highly awkward for the Prime Minister. Mr Cameron again insisted that there was "no case" for a national poll on EU membership.

"I want us to be influential in Europe about the things that matter to our national interest - promoting the single market, pushing forward for growth, making sure we get lower energy prices," he told MPs.

"Those are things we will be fighting for but I don't see the case for an in out referendum on Europe.

"We are in Europe, we have got to make it work for us."

Under a new e-petition scheme set up by the Government, any suggestion that receives more than 100,000 signatures online is passed to parliament's backbench business committee so a debate can be organised.

However, Commons leader Sir George Young has apparently assured the Europe campaigners that traditional pen-and-ink versions will be treated the same.

Independent MEP Nikki Sinclaire is due to be accompanied by Labour MPs Kelvin Hopkins, Austin Mitchell and Kate Hoey to hand in the petition.

"This is an encouraging development and raises the prospect of an early debate on our continued membership of the EU," she said

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

ur watching too much tv xxx

over a year ago

Ahhhh but only the news etc and interesting documentaries

educational stuff

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Ahhhh but only the news etc and interesting documentaries

educational stuff "

and thats whats worrying us

By *uro anchorMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"Ahhhh but only the news etc and interesting documentaries

educational stuff "

no jeremy is on soon....

over a year ago

Oiii

hime edumucated dontcha knows

see, even pronounce me h

over a year ago

I personally as a Thatcherite am quite anti-Europe. I mean I can't see how any country can think the euro is a good idea when it strips the government of the ability to fiscally control its economy. Essentially your giving all your power to Germany and France.

Having said that the one glaring benefit of being in the eu is free trade. Being in the eu is what attracts a lot of foreign direct investment e.g Honda chooses the uk as it's eu base because it can freely move the manufactured cars to other eu countries.

The biggest gripe gas to be the laws which the eu imposes on us. We haven't voted to give these powers to the eu, labour have just handed them over and it isn't the will of the people.

over a year ago

Well im in no way a lover of thatcher the milk snatcher but........

If anything happens re the EU it should be a regain of our own powers etc.

Because brussels shouldnt be waggling its muscles at us.

Kin cheek

over a year ago

"Oiii

see, even pronounce me h "

lol

hexcellent

over a year ago

Out for me

We joined a common Market not a dictatorship

over a year ago

"Oiii

see, even pronounce me h

lol

hexcellent "

Ooooo ya learning.

over a year ago

"Out for me

We joined a common Market not a dictatorship"

Agree.

One out, all out

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Definately we need to get out......so many things that are wrong with this country have their roots in our membership of the E.U., from open borders to human rights absurdities to our diminishing ability to decide our own destiny.

And thats just how it is right now.We are being frog marched toward a European super state and God help us if that is allowed to happen.

over a year ago

To withdraw from Europe would be to become isolationist and leave our only sole ally to be the US, and as we know, the 'special' relationship is only special to us as America has demonstrated many times that it sees the UK as special no more than it does France or Germany.

We should be leading Europe from the front, not trying to keep our foot wedged in the door as it closes with us only just squeezing through. We should get rid of the hated Human Rights Act and replace it with a British Bill of Rights that will encapsulate basic human rights for everybody but protect what it means to be British and who can come and live here.

I've always held the view that at some point in mankind's future we'll eventually have a True World Order but we're a very long way away from that. Europe is the embryo of that Order as it joins together 400 million people creating a wider economy to rival that of the Americas. Once we've got Euroland sorted out and run as it should be run we can set about expanding it to the former Eastern Bloc countries that would benefit from trading with Europe as opposed to China. Bring in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India and we'll have a powerhouse of trade, commerce and industry that could force America & China to seriously consider establishing a New World Order and that would give man the first opportunity in our history to unite as one race.

Lofty ideals I know, but it will happen - one day.

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Lofty ideas indeed wishy and sentiments that many of us would agree with.

But doesnt our dissolusionment with the E.U. stem from the not only the intrusive intervention from brussels but also our own politicians chameleon attitude once elected... labour promising a manifesto on the issue and now Cameron abandondoning his pre election pledge to introduce a bill of rights.

In their arrogance they belive that such a crucial issue cant be left to the electorate to decide.And no better example than in ireland where they did demonstrate democracy in holding a referrendum but then kept having another till they got the vote they wanted ??

over a year ago

Glad to see someone is taking notice.

I' part of a group that is not anti European but very much against the EU.

I want a vote and think the reason it's not been offered is because there is a very good chance it will be a big no.

Did anyone notice how the Irish Republic said no then were forced into another one where they scraped a yes?

Do you think Ireland will get another chance or are they buggered forever???

I believe in an old saying of "I like to be kissed before I get fucked!" so far no one has kissed me they have just fucked me!

To any females or couples reading this you can kiss me or not as long as you fuck me I was only complaining on a political level not sexual

over a year ago

If we accept that they'll keep plugging away at a referendum until they get the answer they want then what's the point wasting pointless millions of pounds having a toothless referendum after referendum?

By *uckoo clockCouple
over a year ago

Merseyside

It may be their undeclared intention, but we should never accept politicians doing as they will.......if we wind forward the word 'dictatorship' springs to mind !!

over a year ago

So is it due to our membership of the EU that the UK has the fourth greatest gap between rich and poor in the entire developed world? Or that British workers are among the most poorly paid workers in the EU with fewer rights than most of their European counterparts?

Or that our literacy rate is lower than that of the state of Kerala in India?

Is it due to our membership of the EU that the UK's teenage pregnancy rate is the highest in the developed world? Or that property prices are the highest in Europe?

Is it due to our membership of the EU that our obesity rate is the highest in Europe, or that our drug and alcohol rate among teenagers is one of the highest in the EU? Or that our teenage delinquency rate is the highest in Europe?

Is it due to our membership of the EU that England sends more people to prison each year than any other country in Europe?

Is it due to our membership of the EU that our health system ranks only number 21 on the UN list of the best health systems in the world?

The English are statistically the fourth most badly-educated and poorly informed people in Europe and your assertion is a striking example of just how badly educated and poorly informed the average person in this country is.

over a year ago

In 100 years time our Chinese overlords will never allow anything like the EU

over a year ago

Ahhhhh....Europe...have their Wings of Tomorrow album in my LP collection....oh......you mean the Union

way back in the mists of time when it was a coal and steel agreement between Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. t was not long before France & Germany had a vision for a european super state and have driven this mighty beast forward to advance that aim.

Dear mr callaghan signed us up to the economic community in 73, and since then the behomoth has grown out of all proportion and is unrecognisable. Don't forget, it was the iddiots in brussels that allowed the spanish to steal our cod!!!!!

to give over our fiscal policies to these idiots in the European Council is folly. nce we lose that we lose control over everything.

leaving the EU thouh is, in my opinion an equally silly idea, the UK cannot afford to become isolated from the flow of trade. However, we cannot allow our freedom to dicate our own policy to be taken from us by these beaurocrats in brussels. A well worded referendum will never be a bad idea on this issue.

Am going back to sleep now

Post new Message to Thread