Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Computer Keyboards

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Inspired by the computer thread - how annoying is it that keyboards wear after only a month or so usage? I touch type so its not much of a problem but anyone who doesnt looks in dismay if they ask to use my pc and half of the letters are rubbed.

In todays technological times you'd think someone would come up with a decent solution to the problem. Everything is such a throwaway these days.

When I first learned to type I had a machine that had glass letters on it and they never wore out fifty years on!

Nobody will invent an indestructable letter for a keyboard because they'd rather you renewed.

Any hints on where to get non rub keys from?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

put clear nail varnish on keys they dont rub off then

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

This can be fixed by not wearing hand lotion.

Out of the 40+ puters at work the only ones with worn characters are the ones where the user wears a hand cream product.

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

thought you said you touch typed, so why do you need to be able to see the characters?

over a year ago

"thought you said you touch typed, so why do you need to be able to see the characters?

"

Read further on and I explain why I have colleagues to consider.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My keyboard is fine after 5 years of being used! Must be you

over a year ago

"put clear nail varnish on keys they dont rub off then"

Tried that to no avail. Also put sticky letters on and they turned to gunge after a little while. I must be heavy handed lol.

I might go to Dragons den with my idea!!

over a year ago

"

I might go to Dragons den with my idea!!"

Pretty sure the dragins would prefer solutions rather than problems!

over a year ago

"

I might go to Dragons den with my idea!!

Pretty sure the dragins would prefer solutions rather than problems!"

How do you solve a problem like Susannahhhhhhhhhhh

over a year ago

maybe in the not too distant future all keyboards will be touch sensitive screens like the ipad and phones? No letters to rub off then.

over a year ago

"maybe in the not too distant future all keyboards will be touch sensitive screens like the ipad and phones? No letters to rub off then. "

Oh gosh no not another set of new rsi's to contend with in this computing age!!! Its a disaster if someone moves your typing seat just an inch!!

over a year ago

had mines for over a year an it was an E machine keyboard parents had it longer than me so its few years old

yes be getting another 1 soon

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

on dangerous ground here

I use an ultra thin Mac aluminium keyboard it has ceramic keys they dont wear

But they are £60

so you get what u pay for

Ps the Hp hkeyboards on the pc's at work are 7 years old and in good condition 2.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/09/11 22:12:47]

over a year ago

"on dangerous ground here

But they are £60

Ps the Hp hkeyboards on the pc's at work are 7 years old and in good condition 2."

I have had expensive keyboards and cheap keyboards - always the same problem. I don't think £60 is excessive for something that doesnt wear. I paid £115 for an illuminating keyboard which was so flimsy and thin I couldnt press hard on it without it shooting across the desk. I dont have a mac though but the ceramic keyboard sounds fab.

Work keyboards are indented like the ones I described that we used to repair with a wax stick.

over a year ago

I use an alienware keyboard and all the keys are still perfect.... Was close too £150 though, no idea what the actual keys have on them but they feel like silk, it was bought nearly 4 yrs ago now and still going strong

over a year ago

I also touch type but I must have a really good keyboard, been using it for nearly a year after I spilt coffee on the last one and the letters are still as good as new

over a year ago

"I use an alienware keyboard and all the keys are still perfect.... Was close too £150 though, no idea what the actual keys have on them but they feel like silk, it was bought nearly 4 yrs ago now and still going strong"

I've just sourced one but it has bright green illuminous keys - but youre pointing me in the right direction thanks xxxx

over a year ago

I learnt to type via chatting on MSN, and can touch type nowadays.

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

But they are £60

Ps the Hp hkeyboards on the pc's at work are 7 years old and in good condition 2.

I have had expensive keyboards and cheap keyboards - always the same problem. I don't think £60 is excessive for something that doesnt wear. I paid £115 for an illuminating keyboard which was so flimsy and thin I couldnt press hard on it without it shooting across the desk. I dont have a mac though but the ceramic keyboard sounds fab.

Work keyboards are indented like the ones I described that we used to repair with a wax stick."

u dont need a mac to use them as they are USB just plug and play

over a year ago

But they are £60

Work keyboards are indented like the ones I described that we used to repair with a wax stick.

u dont need a mac to use them as they are USB just plug and play

"

yeah I checked them out - not chunky enough for my tastes. I like sturdy and curved. Found a company called Cherry - they make really good ones gonna give them a ring tomorrow xx

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

ok i lied they are only £40

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB110F/B?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTE0MDIzNTQ#overview

Post new Message to Thread