Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Just another scam ?

Jump to newest

By *uckoo clock OP   Couple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Recently i arranged car insurance with direct line. After spending nearly half an hour on the phone getting through and completing i was told it was a 'rolling contract' whereby next year if i am not happy with the premium i have to ring them to stop them taking money from my account.

I can anticipate that if press the 'leave them 'option button next year i will be kept hanging on if nothing more than to generate more money for them through phone calls.

I appreciate you can arrange alot of stuff online but if you need to speak to anyone theres where the trouble starts.

Do you seem to spend hours on the phone dealing with utiliies, holidays , insurance bla bla, and getting ripped off by 0845 numbers and is there any way around it ??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Merseyside

I tried that but it seemed to be a very mixed bag. Either the optional nunmber given wasnt answered or disconnected ?

By *abbrowneyesMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

May be cheaper in those circumstances to send a recorded delivery letter stating you are cancelling. Also check if it is possible to send an email...good luck

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Reverse charge the call lol

x

By *eppersCouple
over a year ago

telford

If you press to leave you will probably get straight through to a humaniod lol, and get a cheaper quote because they want to keep your business.

over a year ago

We received a quote from kwik fit,our insurer 10 weeks ago and it was way over the top,So Tra contacted them and told them we didn't want it and would find another insurance company. sent the forms back and...they took £516 out of our bank anyway.Only just got it back so she phoned them up and said she was sending them an invoice for £20 for fucking us about. And they paid it!

over a year ago

Merseyside

We did ask if we could write or emai but phoning was only option given. Now there is a surprise !!

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

all car insurance is now on a roling basis as you can now no longer own an uninsured car the robbin bastards have us over a barrell

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

"We received a quote from kwik fit,our insurer 10 weeks ago and it was way over the top,So Tra contacted them and told them we didn't want it and would find another insurance company. sent the forms back and...they took £516 out of our bank anyway.Only just got it back so she phoned them up and said she was sending them an invoice for £20 for fucking us about. And they paid it!"

I deducted £30 of a refund because we had paid someone twice in error. Cheek always works.

I always ring the sales line which is usually a local rate call then get them to transfer you

By *edditchcpl69Couple
over a year ago

REDDITCH

You can own an uninsured car/bike but it must declared sorn! I have 3 bikes which are all on sorn and pay no insurance on any of them

Tim

over a year ago

Merseyside

Anyone know what rights you have if they do take money from your account after cancelling.

Can you claim compensation from them for the disruption and aggro ?

over a year ago

Try the Which, or Trading standards, websites, as ever, Google is your friend!

over a year ago

Merseyside

Ha ! Googled local trading standards office and only way you can contact them is by phoning 0845.....its a conspiracy !!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Can't remember what it is called ( Martin Lewis's money site will have info ) but isn't there a web-site that often tells you the local phone number of a lot of these 0845 and similar numbers?

Something like "saynoto0845" or summat like.

Anyone know precisely?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Anyone know what rights you have if they do take money from your account after cancelling.

Can you claim compensation from them for the disruption and aggro ?"

Did you pay by credit card, if so... Contact card provider and ask if they have a disputes team who can help you. continuous payment authorities is the term for auto renewal payments.. They will help resolve, they usually ask you to try and deal for the first 30days, then hand over to them.

Good luck.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

0845 is a local call from a BT landline... Not from a mobile tho.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Recently i arranged car insurance with direct line. After spending nearly half an hour on the phone getting through and completing i was told it was a 'rolling contract' whereby next year if i am not happy with the premium i have to ring them to stop them taking money from my account.

I can anticipate that if press the 'leave them 'option button next year i will be kept hanging on if nothing more than to generate more money for them through phone calls.

I appreciate you can arrange alot of stuff online but if you need to speak to anyone theres where the trouble starts.

Do you seem to spend hours on the phone dealing with utiliies, holidays , insurance bla bla, and getting ripped off by 0845 numbers and is there any way around it ?? "

call them and when you get to speak to an actual person ask them to call you back on your chosen number...

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"0845 is a local call from a BT landline... Not from a mobile tho."

My mistake, i was thinking of the 0870 varieties.

By *eaboMan
over a year ago

marden

if you don't want to renew phone your bank, or write, and tell them to not to make the payment. if they make the payment the bank has to refund you not the insurance company and you get yer money back quicker.

and it is perfectly legal to own an uninsured vehicle as long as it is sorn.

over a year ago

I use the internet to organise anything I want, I rarely chat on the phone as I know I can end up with something I don't really want, in fact my latest car insurance company seem to be trying to sell me lots of other policies and I just cannot afford more nor do I want them

over a year ago

"

Can't remember what it is called ( Martin Lewis's money site will have info ) but isn't there a web-site that often tells you the local phone number of a lot of these 0845 and similar numbers?

Anyone know precisely?"

If you type the number into the internet, it should come up with what it is, either that, ring it, wait until you hear the company name, then say "oh sorry wrong number"

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"

Anyone know precisely?"

Try saynoto0870.com

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"0845 is a local call from a BT landline... Not from a mobile tho."

Exactly - why the wailing and gnashing of teeth over a local rate call? 0845 was designed to downgrade the cost of a call to local rate from national (unless you happened to live in the same STD code anyway).

If the issue is that non-geographic numbers are not counted within a free minute allocation, then that's an issue with your telephony provider, not insurance companies (who I think have to pay more for 0845 than 0870).

over a year ago

Merseyside

The issues are the variation in the cost cost of 0845 numbers, the time spent in qeueing systems (not just to wait your turn but the nagging doubt that it is both in the phone provider and insurance companies interest to keep you lingering since they all share in the proceeds of 0845 numbers)and the onus placed on the customer to prevent insurance copanies from taking next years premium when you dont want to buy from them any longer.

over a year ago

"Recently i arranged car insurance with direct line. After spending nearly half an hour on the phone getting through and completing i was told it was a 'rolling contract' whereby next year if i am not happy with the premium i have to ring them to stop them taking money from my account.

Do you seem to spend hours on the phone dealing with utiliies, holidays , insurance bla bla, and getting ripped off by 0845 numbers and is there any way around it ?? "

Always better to take out a rolling contract and be insured than find out after an accident over 12 months later and find you are not insured.

If you can't remember when your renewal is and cancel it yourself then a rolling contract isn't a bad thing.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

We always either go online or into the bank to cancel direct debits when they are finished! Only sensible really..

If you ask, a lot of companies will supply a standing order form that is only for the period you have the loan/insurance for. They don't like it because it means they don't "have you".

If you are with *BT or *Virgin, you can get a package that includes 0870/0845 numbers. It costs us **£1.78 per month, but because of the package we are on with them, it is credited straight away.

***Pete

* BT and Virgin are not the only epople to offer these packages.

** This figure may not be the same for all suppliers of this service

*** Fookin Idiot!

over a year ago

"We always either go online or into the bank to cancel direct debits when they are finished! Only sensible really..

"

One of the wisest things put ion this forum in a while. Good advice.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

[Removed by poster at 08/09/11 13:13:47]

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Always better to take out a rolling contract and be insured than find out after an accident over 12 months later and find you are not insured.

If you can't remember when your renewal is and cancel it yourself then a rolling contract isn't a bad thing."

Sorry, but that is just not right!

I was insured with 1stDirect and in the first year I was paying just £400 for my insurance including business use. Second year it went up to £1097! It would NOT have been a good idea to let that roll over and forgetting about it!

Also, everyone gets a letter stating price and cover about a month before the renewal and it would be pretty hard to ingore that! Also, any other companies you have been insured with or have asked for a quote from will also bombard you with begging letters.

Rolling contracts are only any good for one party, the insurance companies!

over a year ago

"Always better to take out a rolling contract and be insured than find out after an accident over 12 months later and find you are not insured.

If you can't remember when your renewal is and cancel it yourself then a rolling contract isn't a bad thing.

I was insured with 1stDirect and in the first year I was paying just £400 for my insurance including business use. Second year it went up to £1097! It would NOT have been a good idea to let that roll over and forgetting about it!

Also, everyone gets a letter stating price and cover about a month before the renewal and it would be pretty hard to ingore that! Also, any other companies you have been insured with or have asked for a quote from will also bombard you with begging letters.

Rolling contracts are only any good for one party, the insurance companies! "

It might be exorbitant but far better to be insured and getting shafted than not to be insured at all due to forgetting your renewal date.

over a year ago

Saynoto0870 x

over a year ago

0845 is the number for local calls

0870 is a rip off dont do!!

0800 free, and if you go onto google most big organisations still have 0800 numbers listed and work. just dont advertise them anymore!! cant dial direct from mobiles normally but from landlines. only reason keep my landline really as its free with Virgin package on.

there is an 0800 site somewhere which lists them!!

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"It might be exorbitant but far better to be insured and getting shafted than not to be insured at all due to forgetting your renewal date. "

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but with the amount of contact made by insurance companies at renewal time, there is no need to have a rolling payment. It only benefits the company! Personally, without any changes on my policy, I think an increase of £697 is not just exorbitant, it is disgusting! They rely on people having a rolling payment so they just let it go!

over a year ago

Merseyside

Well said 'Rumour'. Its a one way street in the insurance companies favour.The onus should be on us all to remember when ones insurance is due rather than having to go through the rig ma roll they have introduced in cancelling.

Direct Line say 'a rolling contract that offers you peace of mind' which could be loosely translated as 'an over inflated premiun and by the time you realise we have taken the money and hopefully you cant be arsed with all the hassle of getting it back' ??

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I'd happily agree to a contract that lasted as long as the rate stayed the same.

over a year ago

Merseyside

And wouldnt we all.Thats just the point ??

By *im halpertMan
over a year ago

redditch

"Anyone know what rights you have if they do take money from your account after cancelling.

Can you claim compensation from them for the disruption and aggro ?"

if you pay by debit card you must cancel the aggreement with the company usually in writing .then if they debit your account they are in breach of the contract.your bank will have a disputed card transaction dept you will then get the funds back

By *im halpertMan
over a year ago

redditch

agree here,that would be far worse

Rolling contracts are only any good for one party, the insurance companies!

It might be exorbitant but far better to be insured and getting shafted than not to be insured at all due to forgetting your renewal date. "

over a year ago

Merseyside

Yes understand that but to my mind it was much easier how it used to be. They sent you a reminder and the cost and if you werent happy you just ignored it. End of ?

By *im halpertMan
over a year ago

redditch

and yes 0845 numbers are only local call rates!you just got to be organised and remember to shop around at the time of renewal xxxx

over a year ago

Merseyside

Im with virgin.They charge 10p a minute for 0845. Last time i rang insurance was on phone for twenty mins.Ok two quid you might say but think of how many others are doing the same.Nice profits for both phone peeps and insurance company ??

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Im with virgin.They charge 10p a minute for 0845. Last time i rang insurance was on phone for twenty mins.Ok two quid you might say but think of how many others are doing the same.Nice profits for both phone peeps and insurance company ?? "

Ask Virgin for there 0845/0870 package. It costs around £1.78 per month, but if you have TV and BB as well as phone on what they call the XL package, it is free.But even if you had to pay, £1.78 is cheap considering the £2 charge for one call.

over a year ago

Merseyside

Bugger me !! I have all of that with them but didnt know that....thanks Rumour

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

Rolling contracts are designed ONLY to benefit the insurer. All insurance companies are obligated by law to send you a renewal notice approx. 4 weeks before renewal.

The onus is then very much on the customer to act upon it...either by accepting it or looking elsewhere.

You can still cancel your 'Rolling Contract' within 14 days of it starting and get a FULL refund of which the company, again by law, are obligated to do so. The insurance companies lead you to think that they are doing you a favour when in reality they are doing you a dis-service.

Best advice is to mark on your calendar when the renewal is due, look for the reminder arriving and if you don't receive with say 3 weeks to go then start looking elsewhere.

The chances are that when the compamy WILL give you a better deal to maintain your custom. Play the same game that they do...just be one step ahead and therefore smarter!

over a year ago

Merseyside

I wonder tho.....is it lawful that they only offer you a 'rolling' contract, or should they give you the bog standard option too??

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

"I wonder tho.....is it lawful that they only offer you a 'rolling' contract, or should they give you the bog standard option too??"

I think that is pretty much bog standard when dealing online. To be safe in the knowledge that you won't inadvertently 'roll over' into a new 'Rolling Contract' just make sure you're on your toes and act accordingly at the appropriate time.

over a year ago

"We received a quote from kwik fit,our insurer 10 weeks ago and it was way over the top,So Tra contacted them and told them we didn't want it and would find another insurance company. sent the forms back and...they took £516 out of our bank anyway.Only just got it back so she phoned them up and said she was sending them an invoice for £20 for fucking us about. And they paid it!"

You sold yourselves short.....that company did that to my folks and they sent them £200 without being asked!

Post new Message to Thread