Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Red or Black

Jump to newest

By *ugby 123 OP   Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

There is a big uproar at the minute because the man who won the first million has a criminal record for ABH.

He said he had attacked someone, served his time and has learnt from it but people are shouting for him to have his winnings taken from him.

So the questions are......should they take his million back because he has a record?

Do people deserve a second chance if they have served their sentance?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *arkandjaneCouple
over a year ago

Lancaster

If they have given it to him let see them try and take it back

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

yes of course, a criminal record does not bar you from taking part in gambling and reaping its rewards, I think those that are complaining must be jealous

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

course he should have it, he won it

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

yes and no... its sound like an awkward situation...

in the states once the criminal bit is over, you can then go after the person for compensation... if they did have money at the time then no point in doing that,

however if they then come into money, I don't see why they shouldn't have a share of that... i.e compensation they would have gotten at the time...

By *ilmiss75Woman
over a year ago

Thornton

"There is a big uproar at the minute because the man who won the first million has a criminal record for ABH.

He said he had attacked someone, served his time and has learnt from it but people are shouting for him to have his winnings taken from him.

So the questions are......should they take his million back because he has a record?

Do people deserve a second chance if they have served their sentance?"

Yes. He didn't kill or abuse a child. I think he is entitled to move on with his life as he's served the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what he did was right but how many time have people gone out and got in a punch up.

It's just my view on it, so don't all dive on me lol.

over a year ago

im sure thousands of people who have a record play the lottery or buy scratch cards.. He did what he did and went to prision for it.

Good on him for being lucky enough to win it

over a year ago

It's absurd.

No-one is perfect.

He's done his time for it.

Good for him; it was his fate, he should keep the money!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I find it bizarre. What relevance does any aspect of personal life have to do with winning a game show? The concept that someone is more deserving to win a game of chance than another? Bollocks!

Next they will be saying the gheys can't play Euro Millions.

By *arkandjaneCouple
over a year ago

Lancaster

"yes of course, a criminal record does not bar you from taking part in gambling and reaping its rewards, I think those that are complaining must be jealous "

I think a criminal record barrs you from taking part in stuff on tv, but the researchers didnt do their research very well and missed hi past form.

No way should they take it back.

But like i said before, like to see them try. if it was mine i would be out spending it, lmao.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i think i got a bit wordy... lol

I think he should be able to keep the money, however I think he should give the victim of his actions compensation if that has not already been given....

over a year ago

"i think i got a bit wordy... lol

I think he should be able to keep the money, however I think he should give the victim of his actions compensation if that has not already been given...."

I would hope that if he has served his time, repented and learnt from his mistake then a decent human being would have given some to the victim as a sign to prove this.

By *arkandjaneCouple
over a year ago

Lancaster

I think he should be able to keep the money, however I think he should give the victim of his actions compensation if that has not already been given....

I would hope that if he has served his time, repented and learnt from his mistake then a decent human being would have given some to the victim as a sign to prove this.

"

I think if he served time for it then compensation shouldnt come in to it.

i see from reading the story about it he was provoked for weeks before he finally flipped.

Good for him i say maybe its the change of luck he needs.

By *lirty and dirtyCouple
over a year ago

ashford

I think the problem lies in him admitting he done the crime to them. Then it came out it wasnt a man he assaulted as they took that for granted but it was actually his ex girlfriend. Another ex has come forward and said he beat her up as well but she didnt press charges. The family of his now GF have said she was treated in hospital for a suspected brain bleed after he pushed her or something. The people up in arms are those against violence to women and are saying that the money should go to a womans domestic volence charity. ITV have said today that they legally cant take the money back from him. I still believe tho that if after security checks they allowed him to take part then he should keep the money but give some to charity.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

from reports coming out today... the "man" is apparently a woman... and sound like it was the ex-girlfriend...

I don't see why they shouldn't get some sort of compensation... I am not talking about all of it... just want they would have been entitled to at the time the man was convicted for 5 years for ABH....

anything over that amount.. good luck to him

over a year ago

Legally the man has paid his due's to society.

In British law the victim of a crime is little more than a witness but they could have claimed via the CCB already.

We do not know the case but 5yrs is a big sentence for assault.People get less for rape,manslaughter and child abuse.Whatever he did it was serious to get a 5yr stretch.

To me he should get the cash and send a reasonable donation to the victim.

He can clear some of his conscience and the victim could get some sort of recompense and some sort of personal justice.

over a year ago

"

Totally agree

over a year ago

I haven't read anything about this, indeed I don't even know what Red or Black is, I'm presuming something like who wants to be a millionaire.

I am only going on what posters have said here, but ABH with a 5 year custodial sentence is not a d*unken brawl on a Saturday night.

And for all of you who think that as long as a person has served time then the victim should be happy with that, then I suspect you'd think differently if you were a victim of a serious assault which could have resulted in long term health problems or loss of earnings.

I don't think the organisers should have allowed him on the show. They should have done their research. You can't discriminate between levels of criminal behaviour, they'd be uproar if a child killer or Peter Sutcliffe was a contestant.

But they did and I suspect its difficult to take it off him, well I don't know when he won this sum of money so perhaps there is time. a million pounds is a lot of money so yes I agree with Fabio, if he has repented then put his money where his mouth is and pay compensation to the victim.

over a year ago

From what I can gather, they check the background of people on light entertainment programmes. They knew he had a criminal record but lied about what it was for.

Now, if they have rules about "criminals" being on their programmes the onus is on them to check. It was down to their own lazy research that allowed him to participate in the first place. He won fair and square so they have to cough up.

Morally it would be lovely if he did give his ex something...but how much would be significant to compensate her? Unless he hands over the lot it still wont be enough for some people - only because it wasn't them that won the money I suspect!

Post new Message to Thread