Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Parvo~Polio Virus in Dogs!!

Jump to newest

By *ssentialminx2011 OP   Couple
over a year ago

sheffield

Our 8Month old adoreable Bichon Frise "Beau~Beau" is fighting for his life @our local vets here in Sheffield.

He was a little bit sick last Friday night,but just assumed he had eaten too much dinner (like ya do) ??

Saturday morning he appeared fine !!

By 6pm he couldn't walk & his sister Rosie was foaming @ the mouth OMFG!!!

We rushed them both to the vets,where they were diagnosed with The Parvo Virus

Both were given an injection & Rosie apeared 100% OK & was allowed home~However Beau was very poorly & was kept in x

He is STILL THERE NOW~NO BETTER NO WORSE

He is still fighting it bless him !!

As any else ever had a pet that has been through this ??

Would really appeciate ANY advice xx

PS: All Ellie's puppies were innoculated twice & are all very healthy and walked twice a day !!

Please reply xx luv Alex and Carl xx

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I hope your dog will recover soon!

Reply privately

over a year ago

hi Alex and Carl sorry to hear about your lovely wee dog Beau Beau we hope and pray that he gets better soon, as dog lovers and owners of a big daft black labrador we are thinking of you both, sending a big hug for Beau Beau ....Jack and Daisy xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's horrible to hear about any animal suffering. Hope he pulls through, dont know anything about this virus but it's sound a bitch. Fingers crossed and good luck to you

Reply privately

By *ornwall-maleMan
over a year ago

newquay

huge animal lover here so all the best for you and fingers crossed x

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

Thank you ALL SOOOOOO MUCH FAB PPL XX

I'VE JUST foned up now & he's just the same as he was @ 5pm !!!

He is on a IV Drip and IV antibiotics,through his front leg in isolation (obviously)

Princess Ellie his Mummy and sister Rosie are both perfectly well,fast asleep

@ my side here as i write this xx

We have just found out that 3 other dogs have died (in the last week )here in Sheffield !!! OMGosh!!

ALL JUST KEEP PRAYING FOR OUR LITTLE PRECIOUS "B E A U B E A U"!

& will keep ya posted xx Alex n Carl xx

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I'd a friend whose dog went through the same problem.

Apparently, Parvovirus is highly contagious amongst dogs. It is picked up through other dog faeces, or contaminated ground where a contagious dog has recently been.

My friend was told that her quick response probabaly saved her dog's life as without swift treatment with antibiotics and/or injections, dogs can die quickly within 48 - 72 hours; beyond that limit, if they survive, they are through the worst.

Hope all goes well for you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

Thanx Genguy xx

We have been told that YES!! ~although it can be a little as 3Hrs from eating something whilst out on a "walkies" to them dieing!! (it can be as qwick as that apparently!!)

It's a very SEVERE viral infection that attacks the lining of the stomach wall & can spread exceptionally fast!

If only we had ONLY realised the little sick was the start of this last Friday night,he may have been here now!!!

ALL WE CAN WARN IS ~ ***** PLEASE *****

BE VERY WARY IF "YOUR LOVED ONES!!" ARE EITHER : (a)SICK(normal type)AND

,LATHARGIC,

or generally quiet x

(b)If they HAVE A FROTHY SICK.....dont delay!!

*****TAKE THEM "IMMEDIATELY !!!" TO THE VETS ,BECAUSE THIS VIRUS IS RIFE @ THE MOMENT AND IS A KILLER ! XX

Our Beau obviously passed it on to his sister Rosie,who was diagnosed early enough!! thank gudness !!

Mum Ellie is almost 3 ~ so has a much stronger immune system,but even so..... ~take note it could happen to plder pets aswell xx

If you are not sure ,simply keep them inside the perimetre of your own grounds

and dont walk them in local parks/roads etc until you can find out if any other dogs have had this virus xx

We have made over 50 A3 sized card posters and have flooded our local area warning ALL THE OTHER Gr8 dog owners of the local PARVO POLIO Eperdemic!!

WE JUST FELT WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING POSSITIVE!!! XX

IT MUST HAVE WORKED BECAUSE AS CARL WAS COMING HOME FROM WORK ~he didnt see a single dog being walked!!! which is Gr8 news !! We live in a little village,so every will see them "hopefully" & none have been taken down so far !!

We have also posted leaflets our vet gave us , at each poster site & it appears to be working s far !!! xx

Anyway ...im off to bed now fabsters & pray 4 our little lad x Alex x

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

thanx xx

Beau was sick sometime between 10pm friNt & 6am satmorn?? and its now 1.45am Tuesday !! so at 6am today it will have been 3days 72Hrs!! and still no change!!! xx

Reply privately

By *wosWoman
over a year ago

east london

hope they recover

sure it isnt lung worm from slugs n snails??

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

its just awful!!! xxx

It makes me feel soooooo guilty !!!

Because being allergic to dogs and cats since the birth of my first son in 1986

(dont ask me why ?? lol) as we'd always had pets as a child @ home ~n were neva allergic then !!??

we discovered the non ~Allergy breed "BICHON FRISE!!" & bought our Ellie in March30 months ago (aged 13weeks) X

Last Dec28th ,she gave birth to 5 beautiful little girls and 1 handsome little lad our Beau Beau!!

We had originally only planned to keep the 1st born little girl,but fell in luv with our Beau & just cudnt let him go !!!

We made sure that the other 4 went to fantastic Bichon loving homes,to ppl that could walk them & spend 6+Hrs a day playing with them ,cuddling and entertaining them (as they are highly~intelligent dogs & require loads of TLC & thrive on it xx

Each was given BOTH Parvo injection and left with a fantastic puupy pack with absolutely everything their puppy would ever need~apart from "their love"

Vetting over lol~ we chose 4 wonderful familes & all 4 have ALL kept in touch with us ~sendng us pix @6months old for us all to see how their loved 1's have grown& changed(which has been fantastic xx

We ALL intend to get together when ALL our puppies are 1 yrold and will continue this just once a year!! xx

we can't wait to see our Ellie's other 4 baby girls ~ "Holly Rose" ~ "Ella" ~ "Ellie" (after her mummy) arhhhhh & "Amber" on December 28th 2011!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

what i wanted to say was lol....

Until we had a dog ot our own,if one of my clients were to have cancelled their appointment at my Salon ~phonimg up saying "Alex ,i'm really sorry,but i wont be coming in for my massage etc this morning ,as our "******!" has passed away in the night!!

And OMGosh ~ i used to think "well its ONLY A DOG!!"

BUT HOW WRONG WAS I !!!!!

IT IS "O N L Y NOW WE HAVE DOGS OYRSELVES !!" THAT WE NOW REALISE JUST

"H O W M U C H U ABSOLUTELY ADORE THEM!" AND HOW SOON YOU BECOME TOTALLY ATTATCHED TO THEM ,that i look back now & feel absolutely ashamed of myself that i once thought that!!!

To non dog owners ,it maybe hard to understand just HOWMUCH YOU WORSHIP YOUR DOG and just how much they mean to you & your family!! They become just like another child~ & it's unreal how qwickly that love grows & the longer you have them ,the more that love multiplies !!!

Mummy Ellie and his sister Rosie are missing him sooooo much.

Ellie is constantlly looking for him "everywhere" ;-(

& all we can keep saying to them both is "beau beau's comin back soon Ellie!!"

as she runs to the window seat & jumps up into the bay,where she sits for hours !!! waiting for him to come home !!! ITS BLOODY AWFUL!!! XX

& THERE'S ABSOLUTELY "N O T H I N G more" WE CAN DO!!" xx

Just ALL PRAY FOR Beau Beau PLEASE XX

Reply privately

over a year ago

So sorry to hear your dog is a very poorly pup.

Hoping he picks up and is back home with you all soon. I'm a fellow dog owner who loves her dogs too. xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Dog owner here too-fingers crossed for him Xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

QWESTION:??

IF IT " WAS" LUNG WORM !!~ WOULD THE TREATMENT BE "ANY DIFFERENT??" ????

***ALTHOUGH 3 OTHER DOGS HAVE DIED LOCALLY WITH "PARVO" so it does seem a coincidence !! xx But thank you 4 that xx I have just phoned & spoke to the night vet & passed that on "just in case!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH,4 that "possible" invaluable information lovey !! Mwah xx Alex xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

i do hope hes well soon, its a very contagious virus, and many strains of it are about. we vaccinate against parvovirus but u can never cover all the strains. ur dog will have come into contact with the virus somewhere prob from another dog, ive seen a few sad cases but i have also seem many good outcomes from it. be strong and try to visit him if they allow it. xxx

this is why people should vaccinate their pets, we have our children vaccinated MMR jags, Tb jag etc.... we should be doing the same for our pets.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"QWESTION:??

IF IT " WAS" LUNG WORM !!~ WOULD THE TREATMENT BE "ANY DIFFERENT??" ????

***ALTHOUGH 3 OTHER DOGS HAVE DIED LOCALLY WITH "PARVO" so it does seem a coincidence !! xx But thank you 4 that xx I have just phoned & spoke to the night vet & passed that on "just in case!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH,4 that "possible" invaluable information lovey !! Mwah xx Alex xx

"

lungworm can be treatede with a spot on, advocate will work for this.

parvo patients usually IV drip and meds and antibiotics

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

they ALL had Advocate & both parvo's b4 we sold the them xx

Ellie Beau & Rosie are taken every 2months for a regular check,weighed,measured and have a frontine given x

ALL 3 were in absolute perfect condition and fully 100% totally fit and very healthy.Pure white teeth,no tear stains,& perfectly pure white .Groomed every 6weeks & bathed every Saturday.Walked Twice a day

& hardly ever left alone (they all even go to the Salon to work with me !! )well it is in the Garden lol !!;-)

Thats how i know Beau will be soooo missing US ALL !! xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

Thanx 4 that love xx

YES !!! Beau is on an IV DRIP & MEDS !! X X X X & they said it is "PARVO" XX ~but thanks sooooo much 4 that info ~becos ya never jnow it quite easilly could have been sumthing else xx

Reply privately

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

Really hope Beau beau pulls through this. Parvo is a nasty one but Bichons are a hardy little dog. They really get to you don't they?

Good luck little doggie, we are all thinking of you x

Reply privately

over a year ago

hope he gets better soon. never had dogs allergic to them but had 3 cats with cat flu that was a worrying time but thankfully they all recovered.they are part of the family.

Reply privately

By *azmissy67Woman
over a year ago

welshpool area

had a dog when i was younger who caught the virus at about eight months. She was soooo ill we brought her home so to nurse and as the vet said dont expect her to survive the night - well she did survive and lived another seventeen years.

I hope everything turns out ok in your case x

Reply privately

By *adcowWoman
over a year ago

kirkcaldy

wishing beau a speedy recovery. dog owner here too and only last week found out that a neighbours son had got a dog d'bordeau pup who caught parvo before his 2nd injection- luckily brex has pulled thru but still eats everything in sight lol the son is getting a muzzle for him to prevent any more mishaps

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

THANK YOU 4 ALL THE MESSAGES & PRAYERS for our little Beau Beau xx

To up D8 : xx

We arrived at the emergency vets PDSA,this morning to find that "they had given up on Beau????WTF!!!! OMGOD!!

They had decided it best to discontinue his treatment and stop his "medication "

I went absolutely crazy!!!!

& immediately telephone my local vet hospital & told them we would be arriving ASAP xx

I checked his Canulla & it had tissued!! and the saleine bag was "EMPTY!" .....they had basically decided to let him die !!! ~ over my dead body!!"

I undreesed his crepe red bandage & took out the shringe myself!!!!

Wrapped him in his fave blanket id taken with me and LEFT AS FAST I COULD POSSIBLY WALK .,carrying my very dehydrated little baby Beau x

We arrived @ my vets in 15 mins,where they IMMEDIATELY started to work on him xxx

He is @ presnt still in there ,and stable for now x He passed a massive diarriah with blood,but since that nothing more .....so far so gud ???

PS: My Step Son had been looking after Beau , as we had gone away for the evening last Friday night ,so panicked & took him to The PDSA & couldnt get hold of us as we had 4got our mobiles xx

I certainly will not be going again xx

no disrespect to the PDSA IN GENERAL,but to decided that ,without OUR consent is a bit much !!!

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Wishing your little friend all the very best x

Reply privately

over a year ago

sheffield

I have JUST foned our vet & Beau has been stable since i last checked (no vomit & no bad poo!!" and he is urinating normally!!

The night staff kindly told me he is settled for now & appears to be pain free ??? x

We can check in the morning ,but 4 now he seems stable !!! Fingers X'ed xx

Alex xx

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Fab ...

Reply privately

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

thats brill news ...hope beau beau gets better soon xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

We had a English bull terrier many years ago who was vaccinated against parvo, he had his puppy injections and a booster every year but he still got it and we had to have him put down after about a week as his back legs totally went and we was told he would never re gain he use in them and by that stage it would just get worse till he died anyway, so we thought it was the right thing to do rather than draw a few more painful week out of him

Reply privately

over a year ago

When I was 18 my mum and dad decided to let me have my first dog. I was only allowed a little dog and my dad knew a guy whose dog had had pups so I was allowed one - enter Judt the dachshound. I loved my sausage dog, she was so cute.

She had her first two injections and she wasa fine, but a few days after the second one she was poorly, being sick and diahhorea. We thought it was something she ate and so cared for her at home etc assuming it would be an upset tummy.

We had to rush her to the vets the following morning as she had gone downhill fast and she was diagnosed with parvo virus. She hadn't been in contact with other dogs apart from being at the vets for her injections.

She was put on a drip and she surived for about 3 days thereafter but sadly this wasn't a happy ending.

Affected me quite badly actually. This was the first time I had dealt with death, only had a cat before and she was still alive and never had any other pets.

I hope that you have caught it in time and that the treatment is working. Best of luck to you both - he seems to be fighting it so let's hope he will be well soon

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good to hear the pooch is doing well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Been a few days since I saw thi thread. Just read all the posts. What's happening with little Beau? I've got a feeling he's getting better going by the latest update

Reply privately

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

There is an update on the next page I'll bump it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Where? What do you mean? What next page?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/69398

Update here....will shut this one now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wrkd in a vets when I was younger, and Have seen quite a few dogs die with this horrible virus, Its mostly young and older dogs who get it , as there immun systems cant cope,

Thats why you cant let puppies who have not been injected walk on the grass! as its picked up that way !

I hope your wee dog is recovering well ,

It happens soo fast , so thanks to your quick responce stands a greater chance of suvival ,

Reply privately