Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

NYC

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

calling all visitors to NYC

i'm not going anytime soon but i do intend on going one day and i spend way too much time fantasy holiday booking for NYC its sad i know but a girl has to have a dream

well heres my question

eventually

have you been?

what can you recommend to visit?

and most importantly where did you stay? was it pricey or reasonable or better still nice n cheap? was it worth every penny or was it waste of valuable spends for somewhere to just pop ya head down at night

NYC is my dream destination and i have been fantasy booking for years and seen some lovely hotels i would love us to stay in but often forget to save them to favourites for the day i finally get to really book it

i've decided today that its time to finally start saving for it and considering my previous record for saving we might actually get there for our golden wedding anniversary

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

it is my second favourite city in the world....

from the attitude of the locals ( superior bordering on arrogance ) to the vibe of the city.. I have walked down most of the streets in the early hours and felt very safe.

central park, statue of liberty, ground zero are all the favourites and well worth.

a helicopter tour is also a fab way to see a lot quickly, it gets the size and the scale of the place.

Marriott Marquis is my favourite..... in Time Square but there are loads of boutique hotels.

enjoy xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can I come too? I really fancy a bite at the 'big apple'

Wonder why they call it that?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"it is my second favourite city in the world....

from the attitude of the locals ( superior bordering on arrogance ) to the vibe of the city.. I have walked down most of the streets in the early hours and felt very safe.

central park, statue of liberty, ground zero are all the favourites and well worth.

a helicopter tour is also a fab way to see a lot quickly, it gets the size and the scale of the place.

Marriott Marquis is my favourite..... in Time Square but there are loads of boutique hotels.

enjoy xx"

see... rather than the helicopter.. i would have suggested the circle line ferry which takes you round manhatten...

empire state building... bronx zoo... broadway and times square... yankee stadium, coney island, the metropolian museum of art, macy's, greenwich village, and then places like chinatown and little italy...

over a year ago

Why is it called the Big Apple Fabio?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

me and boats don't go well together but a great suggestion from _abio.

over a year ago

"Why is it called the Big Apple Fabio? "

Without googling, i think its something to do with horse racing ?

over a year ago

I went in 2003 & loved it.

I stayed with an aunt that lives there so sorry can't recommend anyway to stay & she paid for 95% of the trip. It was for my 21t & to put it bluntly, she's loaded!

New Yorkers are quite rude & cold...the only time they are friendly is to hold the bus doors open for you. They rarely acknowledge you unless they're trying to sell you something.

I remember thanking a waiter as we left at a restaurant & he looked shocked. When I asked my aunt why he reacted that way, she said it was because they rarely get thanked. & EVERYONE says "have a nice day". That gets annoying after a couple of days.

You are expected to tip everywhere, even the guys that flag down taxis for you. So take plenty of change.

Places to visit...my aunt & I are really into art so we spent the 4 weeks going round galleries.

I really recommend MOMA we spent 2 days wandering round there. They have everyone, Picasso, Klimt...you name it!

Also the Cloisters are STUNNING. So beautiful & peaceful.

Central Park is a surreal place. Sitting surrounded by trees & ponds but with skyscrapers in the skyline! They do an opera in the park there which was lovely. Take a picnic & just show up.

The UN building is full of artwork too & really interesting to go round.

I liked going round places that have been in films or tv too, just to see what they are like. Central Station is HUGE. Much bigger than I thought...as with the skyscrapers. A lot of them I couldn't look up at , as I would get dizzy.

We quickly went by ground zero, but my aunt found it too upsetting (she could see the twin towers from her office window)

JFK airport are really high on security, so expect a bit of time getting through there too.

It's a great place & I would love to go back...there is SO much to do. You could never get bored. It's just a shame the people aren't too approachable.

But go if you can, it is worth it.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually its quite because new yorker's can be rude & cold... however open your mouth and reveal an english accent and it will open so many doors and people will actually smile at you!!!

so 1st 10 days i am back it is like a different world!!! after that... hmmmm

yep.. tip everything.. because a waiter is normally on minimum wage, they need the tips to earn a normal wage...

if you ever thinking about flying in i would fly into Newark and catch the train rather than fly into JFK (you are paying for the name!!) and stuggle to make it in...

over a year ago

"it is my second favourite city in the world....

enjoy xx"

definately want to do the helicopter tour thing that top of my list of must do whilst there

Marriott Marquis looks fabulous

i've looked at so many hotels i just can't decide what i want though one minute i'm thinking its only a bed will hardly be there so go budget and enjoy the extra spends then next minute i think i want the whole luxury exerience and will just have to save harder, guess the budget at eventual moment of booking will dictate final choice

over a year ago

"Can I come too? I really fancy a bite at the 'big apple'

Wonder why they call it that? "

corse ya can treacle n no idea why its called that but made me curious as to why now too

over a year ago

"

empire state building... bronx zoo... broadway and times square... yankee stadium, coney island, the metropolian museum of art, macy's, greenwich village, and then places like chinatown and little italy..."

all except the zoo, i just don't do zoos, are on my must see list this is half the problem to do everything i want to do would mean a good 2 weeks there at least, oh if only

over a year ago

"actually its quite because new yorker's can be rude & cold... however open your mouth and reveal an english accent and it will open so many doors and people will actually smile at you!!!

"

Yeah maybe but I have a Scottish accent & it seemed to throw them. People thought I was from Australia ("no, Scotland, it's part of the UK", "Oh yeah , my brother lives in that part of Australia"), Russia or Northern England (I suppose technically they're right about that one)

But it could of been that I just bumped into idiots.

over a year ago

"I went in 2003 & loved it.

I stayed with an aunt that lives there so sorry can't recommend anyway to stay & she paid for 95% of the trip. It was for my 21t & to put it bluntly, she's loaded!

New Yorkers are quite rude & cold...the only time they are friendly is to hold the bus doors open for you. They rarely acknowledge you unless they're trying to sell you something.

I remember thanking a waiter as we left at a restaurant & he looked shocked. When I asked my aunt why he reacted that way, she said it was because they rarely get thanked. & EVERYONE says "have a nice day". That gets annoying after a couple of days.

You are expected to tip everywhere, even the guys that flag down taxis for you. So take plenty of change.

Places to visit...my aunt & I are really into art so we spent the 4 weeks going round galleries.

I really recommend MOMA we spent 2 days wandering round there. They have everyone, Picasso, Klimt...you name it!

Also the Cloisters are STUNNING. So beautiful & peaceful.

Central Park is a surreal place. Sitting surrounded by trees & ponds but with skyscrapers in the skyline! They do an opera in the park there which was lovely. Take a picnic & just show up.

The UN building is full of artwork too & really interesting to go round.

I liked going round places that have been in films or tv too, just to see what they are like. Central Station is HUGE. Much bigger than I thought...as with the skyscrapers. A lot of them I couldn't look up at , as I would get dizzy.

We quickly went by ground zero, but my aunt found it too upsetting (she could see the twin towers from her office window)

JFK airport are really high on security, so expect a bit of time getting through there too.

It's a great place & I would love to go back...there is SO much to do. You could never get bored. It's just a shame the people aren't too approachable.

But go if you can, it is worth it.

"

oh my goodness you are so incredibly lucky is there any chance we could con ya aunt into believing i'm a long lost relative that she really should meet worth a shot

over a year ago

"actually its quite because new yorker's can be rude & cold... however open your mouth and reveal an english accent and it will open so many doors and people will actually smile at you!!!

so 1st 10 days i am back it is like a different world!!! after that... hmmmm

yep.. tip everything.. because a waiter is normally on minimum wage, they need the tips to earn a normal wage...

if you ever thinking about flying in i would fly into Newark and catch the train rather than fly into JFK (you are paying for the name!!) and stuggle to make it in... "

oooo interesting and duly noted ty

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

don't worry... i have had the "oh i have a friend in birmingham, his name is dave.. do you know him??" just because they have no sense of how big the uk is...

oooh... if you get a chance, spend a day at niagra as well.....

oooh.. and get loads of tokens for the MTA (buses and subways) they don't give any change whatsoever.. lol

over a year ago

Its fantastic Bouncey, I have been a fair few times and have friends living there. I absolutely love it.

The vibe on the street is what I love. Its full of the strangest people, I once listened to a 15 minute plead from a NYC cabdriver who begged me to pass his tel no onto Susan Boyle as he was in love with her.

The architecture is amazing, be prepared for a very stiff neck, there aren't many small buildings. Empire State is a must of course, along with Rockefeller Centre for great virews of the city. My fave skyscraper is the triangle shaped Flat Iron building.

I stayed in Times Square the first time but its quite seedy late at night I found. Other times I've stayed around around the Empire State Building area, I like to be near to Macys too.

Shopping is of course fantastic and I love Fifth Avenue. I save all year for a handbag and splash all the money in Armani. I like dreaming at the diamonds in Tiffany and Cartier. I've never bought many clothes as the sizes are small in designer shops but I've bought loads of shoes, makeup, accessories. I have bought clothes in Thrift shops though, great bargains if you don't mind secondhand things.

I'm not overly keen on downtown, of course you have to go to visit Ground Zero, Liberty and Wall Street but I'm not overly keen on it.

Oh there's just so much, I wish I could live there, I love it, definitely save up and go

over a year ago

"Its fantastic Bouncey, I have been a fair few times and have friends living there. I absolutely love it.

The vibe on the street is what I love. Its full of the strangest people, I once listened to a 15 minute plead from a NYC cabdriver who begged me to pass his tel no onto Susan Boyle as he was in love with her.

The architecture is amazing, be prepared for a very stiff neck, there aren't many small buildings. Empire State is a must of course, along with Rockefeller Centre for great virews of the city. My fave skyscraper is the triangle shaped Flat Iron building.

I stayed in Times Square the first time but its quite seedy late at night I found. Other times I've stayed around around the Empire State Building area, I like to be near to Macys too.

Shopping is of course fantastic and I love Fifth Avenue. I save all year for a handbag and splash all the money in Armani. I like dreaming at the diamonds in Tiffany and Cartier. I've never bought many clothes as the sizes are small in designer shops but I've bought loads of shoes, makeup, accessories. I have bought clothes in Thrift shops though, great bargains if you don't mind secondhand things.

I'm not overly keen on downtown, of course you have to go to visit Ground Zero, Liberty and Wall Street but I'm not overly keen on it.

Oh there's just so much, I wish I could live there, I love it, definitely save up and go "

thankyou hunny

i have a feeling that once we do finally get there one day Mr Bouncy will have an awfull lot of trouble getting me to go home again i'll be popping my head into every salon i see asking for work

over a year ago

I've always flown British Airways Heathrow to JFk and then took a cab to Manhatten, its about 50 dollars cab fare but then you have the toll fee and the tip for the cab. I've never thought about flying to Newark, I've just got used to what I know

over a year ago

I live new York, absolutely love it. We stayed in Hampton garden inn at TriBeCa which was a good price, lovely hotel and great location. Great Delhi called TriBeCa bagels up the road too! I lived the cocktails at red lobster in times square and bubbas does lively key lime pie lol It's one of those cities you can just wander round and find things to do beyond all the usual tourist spots. For shopping try century 21 not far from ground zero and there's a mall, pier 49 or something which is cool too. Have fun

over a year ago

Bloody iPhone with it's I next to the o and it's auto correct. Deli not Delhi!!

By *elsh_lass74Woman
over a year ago

South Wales

My sister and I went March 2010 for her 18th birthday. We stayed on Broadway, but up on 106th street. Fair way to walk to the main part of the city. You really need to been around 50-60 street.

We stayed in basic accomodation. As we were saving our money for the experience rather than where we slept!

One thing I would recommend is the "New York City Pass" Gives you savings on admission to the most famous places, Q jumping and some places even free admission.

We went to the Natural History museum, expecting it to the like the film, but was nothing like it!!!! I found it quite sad in there actually. All the stuffed animals

We also took a trip round central park with a guide on his bike, he knew everything about the surrounding buildings and who lived where and what films were filmed where. Saw the "Friends" fountain and the fountain from "Elf"!

Macy's is a fab store to visit. The have a department esp for BBW!! Love the Apple Bottom Jeans!!

over a year ago

"I live new York, absolutely love it. We stayed in Hampton garden inn at TriBeCa which was a good price, lovely hotel and great location. Great Delhi called TriBeCa bagels up the road too! I lived the cocktails at red lobster in times square and bubbas does lively key lime pie lol It's one of those cities you can just wander round and find things to do beyond all the usual tourist spots. For shopping try century 21 not far from ground zero and there's a mall, pier 49 or something which is cool too. Have fun "

oh my goodness key lime pie to boot see i always knew i would love the place

i was thinking i would like to just wander round and see what we would find rather than plan but then i worry we would miss stuff

i think in all honesty we really could do with at least anyear there then we would experience it in all seasons too its only logical

over a year ago

I've always felt really safe around Manhattan though I wouldn't go on the subways at night. Its easy to get a cab, though it took me ages to pluck up the courage to stick my hand out, once you do it then it doesn't bother you. I found there were loads of beggers and tramps around the Times Square area though.

I didn't find New Yorkers rude at all. Like Fabio said a british accent seems popular. The NYPD cops are great, walking round wearing sunglasses, donuts and looking very sexy in the uniform. I asked one to take my picture and he said of course Ma'am. You don't get that here.

Has anyone ever seen the Statue of Libery impersonators. They tend to congregate around that park area where you catch the ferry for Liberty and at Central Park. They are dressed in green robes and wear sunglasses and look like something out of a Dr Who episode. Very weird

over a year ago

"My sister and I went March 2010 for her 18th birthday. We stayed on Broadway, but up on 106th street. Fair way to walk to the main part of the city. You really need to been around 50-60 street.

We stayed in basic accomodation. As we were saving our money for the experience rather than where we slept!

One thing I would recommend is the "New York City Pass" Gives you savings on admission to the most famous places, Q jumping and some places even free admission.

We went to the Natural History museum, expecting it to the like the film, but was nothing like it!!!! I found it quite sad in there actually. All the stuffed animals

We also took a trip round central park with a guide on his bike, he knew everything about the surrounding buildings and who lived where and what films were filmed where. Saw the "Friends" fountain and the fountain from "Elf"!

Macy's is a fab store to visit. The have a department esp for BBW!! Love the Apple Bottom Jeans!! "

oooo that sounds good at this rate the ammount i need to save it truelly will be our golden wedding anniversary

over a year ago

"I've always felt really safe around Manhattan though I wouldn't go on the subways at night. Its easy to get a cab, though it took me ages to pluck up the courage to stick my hand out, once you do it then it doesn't bother you. I found there were loads of beggers and tramps around the Times Square area though.

I didn't find New Yorkers rude at all. Like Fabio said a british accent seems popular. The NYPD cops are great, walking round wearing sunglasses, donuts and looking very sexy in the uniform. I asked one to take my picture and he said of course Ma'am. You don't get that here.

Has anyone ever seen the Statue of Libery impersonators. They tend to congregate around that park area where you catch the ferry for Liberty and at Central Park. They are dressed in green robes and wear sunglasses and look like something out of a Dr Who episode. Very weird "

oh thats too cool love it

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I love love loved it! It's one of my favourite places. I'd never been to the US before and my mum took me for my 30th birthday and we both absolutely fell in love with the place. The people were amazing, friendly and helpful and the shopping.... oh the shopping!

I had to buy another bag to bring all the stuff back with me!

We stayed in Lexington Avenue and that was pretty central for everything. We did the sights from Grand Central Station, the Statue of Liberty, the Flat Iron Building, Central Park, the Empire State Building (although we didn't go up cause the visibility was zero the day we were supposed to do that), the Crysler Building, the yellow cabs, the pancakes, Bloomingdales, Sachs, Fifth Avenue... it was all fab!

I have a really good pocket book but its in my drawer at work and I can't remember what it was called but I'll look it out and PM you the name. It had everything in it and a handy map and it fits in your bag. Oh Broadway and the shows and the restaurants and the food and all of it! I loved it! The steam comes out of the manholes just like it does on TV!

I'm amused by the simple things!

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Also I was truly humbled by Ground Zero. It was hugely emotional and made me feel something that I'm not quite sure I can describe. I didn't really think it was appropriate for people to be taking photos like it was some sort of tourist attraction but I felt it was important to see it for myself.

over a year ago

"I love love loved it! It's one of my favourite places. I'd never been to the US before and my mum took me for my 30th birthday and we both absolutely fell in love with the place. The people were amazing, friendly and helpful and the shopping.... oh the shopping!

I had to buy another bag to bring all the stuff back with me!

We stayed in Lexington Avenue and that was pretty central for everything. We did the sights from Grand Central Station, the Statue of Liberty, the Flat Iron Building, Central Park, the Empire State Building (although we didn't go up cause the visibility was zero the day we were supposed to do that), the Crysler Building, the yellow cabs, the pancakes, Bloomingdales, Sachs, Fifth Avenue... it was all fab!

I have a really good pocket book but its in my drawer at work and I can't remember what it was called but I'll look it out and PM you the name. It had everything in it and a handy map and it fits in your bag. Oh Broadway and the shows and the restaurants and the food and all of it! I loved it! The steam comes out of the manholes just like it does on TV!

I'm amused by the simple things! "

thankyou hunny much appreciated, my fave book is my rough guide to NYC, yes i am that sad that i have read it cover to cover just started reading it agin last night, SJP's fault saw her on tv and it set me off again lol

plus a friend id going in a few days with my order for a New York Post i love reading their paper

ok ok i'm even sounding like a right sad act to myself now

over a year ago

"Also I was truly humbled by Ground Zero. It was hugely emotional and made me feel something that I'm not quite sure I can describe. I didn't really think it was appropriate for people to be taking photos like it was some sort of tourist attraction but I felt it was important to see it for myself. "

that has always been at the top of my list to visit, before 9/11 as i was in awe of their dominance of the skyline and after 9/11 as i have felt a strong need to pay my respect and fully understand where your coming from on the pics front seems totally wrong to me too but each to their own i guess

over a year ago

I'm always humbled by Ground Zero and it is my regret that I never got to New York before 2001 as it was always my dream to go up to the top of the towers for the _iew, alas that won't happen but ill go when the Freedom Tower is built if they have a _iewing area that is.

I have seen Ground Zero over the years go from a huge hole in the ground to the paved area it is today. The nearby museum is a must do but seriously expect to be in tears when you enter the room where there are the names of the people who lost their lives and the messages left by relatives and indeed of the people still missing,

over a year ago

"I'm always humbled by Ground Zero and it is my regret that I never got to New York before 2001 as it was always my dream to go up to the top of the towers for the _iew, alas that won't happen but ill go when the Freedom Tower is built if they have a _iewing area that is.

I have seen Ground Zero over the years go from a huge hole in the ground to the paved area it is today. The nearby museum is a must do but seriously expect to be in tears when you enter the room where there are the names of the people who lost their lives and the messages left by relatives and indeed of the people still missing, "

oh my goodness just spotted ya avatar is Times Square how fitting

over a year ago

Hey Mrs Bouncy, hope you are well. I was in NYV at teh end of July. Like you it was my dream destination and it lived up to it too.

We flew Heathrow to Newark with BA and got decently priced tickets. Stayed in the Salisbuy Hotel again at a reasonable price. Close to Central Park and Times Square.

Highlights and tips

Rockafella Centre - second highest buidling in NY. Free to visit. Book online before you go and you get a timeslot so no need to book. Get great _iews for Manhatten and the Empire States Building

Statue of Liberty - depends if you just want to see it of if you want a tour and get up close. If you just want to _iew it take the Statton Island Ferry for free & then get the return journey.

Ellens Stardust Diner - a gem of a place for lunch/dinner - think of Grease

A musical? - We saw Chicago, it was really good

Ground Zero - they are opening a new memorial and visitors site on the 10th anniversary next week. A very sad and hunbling place to visit.

Central park - it's huuuuuge. It's got the John Lennon memorial - Strawberry Fields. A fab boating lake. We didn't bother with the zoo.

If I think of more I will let you know.

Sue x

over a year ago

should have read no need to queue for the rockafella

over a year ago

i'd also recommend flying to newark, its much easier than JFK and a if you pre book a taxi, its pretty cheap.

Hotels around 42nd street are great value and some of the best i've ever stayed in.

I'd also recommend booking a big apple greeter tour, there free, its a local person, that walks you around the city and is effectively a tour guide for the day

over a year ago

"Hey Mrs Bouncy, hope you are well. I was in NYV at teh end of July. Like you it was my dream destination and it lived up to it too.

We flew Heathrow to Newark with BA and got decently priced tickets. Stayed in the Salisbuy Hotel again at a reasonable price. Close to Central Park and Times Square.

Highlights and tips

Rockafella Centre - second highest buidling in NY. Free to visit. Book online before you go and you get a timeslot so no need to book. Get great _iews for Manhatten and the Empire States Building

Statue of Liberty - depends if you just want to see it of if you want a tour and get up close. If you just want to _iew it take the Statton Island Ferry for free & then get the return journey.

Ellens Stardust Diner - a gem of a place for lunch/dinner - think of Grease

A musical? - We saw Chicago, it was really good

Ground Zero - they are opening a new memorial and visitors site on the 10th anniversary next week. A very sad and hunbling place to visit.

Central park - it's huuuuuge. It's got the John Lennon memorial - Strawberry Fields. A fab boating lake. We didn't bother with the zoo.

If I think of more I will let you know.

Sue x

"

OMG hey Sue didn't realise it was you hunny i've seen ya avatar about but never looked far enough right to see name next to it doh hope ya well treacle xxxxxxxx

i'll go nosey at that hotel ty hunny

over a year ago

"i'd also recommend flying to newark, its much easier than JFK and a if you pre book a taxi, its pretty cheap.

Hotels around 42nd street are great value and some of the best i've ever stayed in.

I'd also recommend booking a big apple greeter tour, there free, its a local person, that walks you around the city and is effectively a tour guide for the day"

oooo i read about the greeter tours in my book so they are definately worth booking then cool i'll give that a go

over a year ago

thanks guys your all giv9ng me some really helpfull tips and spuring me on to actually get round to doing the saving bit i mean even if i just chuck a tenner into a jar each week its a start innit

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Oh and if you go to Central Park on a weekend they have an area where they have a roller disco... it was ace! My mum and I stood and watched for a couple of hours, people with rhythm and moves and it was just fab. The music was brilliant too!

I love NYC... can you tell?!

over a year ago

Only stayed 3 days, no where near long enough to see it all, stayed Greenwich village area, coffee choices, diners etc are marvelous.

over a year ago

"Oh and if you go to Central Park on a weekend they have an area where they have a roller disco... it was ace! My mum and I stood and watched for a couple of hours, people with rhythm and moves and it was just fab. The music was brilliant too!

I love NYC... can you tell?! "

oooooooo i'm liking the sound of that

i'm loving all the responses its great to know that plenty get as excited about the place as much as i do

i've already warned Mr B that he has to be prepaired for me to be as giddy as a 6 year old on christmas morning when we finally get to go

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Oh god yes... Greenwich Village was ace too! We also went to a factory outlet place that I want to call Woodland Common or something but I can't remember... will check tomorrow... that was cool too. It was a really shitty day so we got the bus there and spent the day shopping. The weather was great for the rest of the time but I could easily have spent a fortnight there and not seen it all.

We went to Brooklyn and walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge... the _iew was fab. And we took the Staten Island ferry on the Hudson... that was cool too.

over a year ago

Hi All,

Lucky enough to have been going to NYC for a few years pretty regularly.

Flights - Newark and the train works well (monorail from the terminal then New Jersey Transit into Penn Station) - you can also do the subway from JFK (airtrain from the terminal then subway straight into the city)

Subway - I've always found it safe day or night - I try to avoid the far reaches of the Bronx or Queens late at night, but on manhattan and in brooklyn it's quite safe. Also the 1 week unlimited subway pass for $29 is a bargain.

Hotels - too many to mention. The marriott group have a wide range from the Marquis to various other brands. Trick with them is to book well in advance and join their frequent user scheme (free) - tend to give good rates and you can cancel up to the day of check-in for no penalty if you find something cheaper. hotels in midtown from 34th to about 52nd tend to be all reasonable. hiltons put special offers on pretty frequently esp on their Doubletree brand.

Other option is to book a flight and hotel together with one of the airlines - this is the way the airlines actually discount their flights on their own websites, so the flight and hotel booked together is often far cheaper than booking separately.

Shopping - enormous amounts !! Century21 is a great store, the smaller shops around soho and nolita are good, Macy's gives a free 10% discount card to visitors, the New York Times / Timeout / Village Voice often have discount coupons for the big stores and also designer sample sales.

Places to see and go - can definitely echo the subway to Brooklyn and walk on the Promenade at Brooklyn Heights for great _iews of manhattan, then walk the brooklyn bridge into city hall. All the usual sights that have been mentioned. The 'High Line' is really good - a disused high level subway line they have turned into an inner city park, great _iews of the west side of manhattan. it goes on and on, you can spend weeks there.

Music / Sport - always good bands on, check out on ticket master / live nation for whats on when you are there - sometimes UK bands are less well known in the US, so the tickets are pretty reasonable. Sport is good too, its an experience to see the american football or baseball - all easily accessible on the subway.

Food - tooooo much !!! a few favourites - tribeca grill which is part owned by DeNiro, often see celebs in there and quite reaonable for lunch. Rosa Marguerita's on 1st and 50th, one of the best mexicans in town. Del Frisco's for great steak. Virgils for great Barbeque - it goes on and on .... expect to put a few pounds on.

Message me if anyone wants any other hints and tips or recommendations, been going regularly a long time (and there next week too) so a pretty good grasp on a lot of things in the city

Post new Message to Thread