Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Computer Scam #2.

Jump to newest

By *ENGUY OP   Man
over a year ago

Hull

Just thought I'd pass out details of a new scam that's going the rounds, well, certainly in this region.

I took a call a last week, which started off with the Indian or Asian voice "intro" if asking me how I am etc and inserting my name into the "spiel".

I was therefore on my guard, believing this to be the "Microsoft" call!

But instead, he proceeded to advise me that they have a simple but very effective service, that will guarantee me never to receive any more junk or unsolicited phone calls ever again!! (amazing how they don't include themselves in that grouping!).

They can, for a yearly "fee" of only £39.99, ensure that I will not be bothered again. They will take payment annually for £39.99 to ensure the service continues. All they needed from me was my bank account and home address details, plus my email address so they could send a confirmation email.

I mentioned that I could get this all done for free by the TPS (Telephone Preference Service), but their answer was that the TPS has closed down. When I argued the point, they hung up.

I did call my local Trading Standards dept; their response was they'd heard of this scam call ploy elsewhere in the UK, but it is still a relatively new scam.

Beware!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

same 1 different tactics

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

TPS only comes into being for home based companies not overseas one I beleive...Most of these scams come from Asia..they have a lot of ex call centre staff out there who know exactly what to say and how to say it.

Watch out for the paypal one too....

Bastards!

over a year ago

end of the day - put em on hold see how long they last

over a year ago

anyone gullible enough to fall for these scams after the media coverage they get, really only have themselves to blame.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"anyone gullible enough to fall for these scams after the media coverage they get, really only have themselves to blame.

"

Couldn't agree more Jack....

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"anyone gullible enough to fall for these scams after the media coverage they get, really only have themselves to blame.

"

There are sections of the community who live on their own and are perhaps not as savvy as the rest of us.

My niece is one of those and although she has a full and active life, she is "gullible". It would only take a slip from one of the staff at the sheltered housing (overworked) to put a call through that was one of these guys and she could easily be duped!

OK, she doesn't have any financial details on her computer at all, but she does have personal information. The staff cannot be there all the time. The damage could still be done.

That quote above would mean that it would serve my niece right and she deserves it? How very unfair.

(BTW, she is a niece by adoption and is Asian, so anyone sounding Asian could be related! She has Downes Syndrome but my sister has taught her well. She shops for herself in the stewardship of my sister and even has a job. I would be very upset if anyone did anything to hurt her!)

over a year ago

They'll always invent new ones to replace the ones we've tumbled..just have to keep on your toes.

over a year ago

Same thing happened with my sister. The police were very interested

Post new Message to Thread