Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Morale at work

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How would you improve the morale at your workplace? Whether it's a big company or more local.

Morale is at an all time low where I work and it's shit. Please help.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"How would you improve the morale at your workplace? Whether it's a big company or more local.

Morale is at an all time low where I work and it's shit. Please help. "

getting my mananger gone would be a good help. shes shit, she cant manage and doesnt get the role we do let alone understand it or people

but

team night out

a cake and coffee break

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

If you are in a cake shop then have a " baps out for the boys " day!! Problem sorted

over a year ago

"How would you improve the morale at your workplace? Whether it's a big company or more local.

It was simple..... I retired and apparently that made a lot of people very happy ....

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

We both work for ourselves, popping round for a mid-afternoon fuck improves morale no end.

Maybe not a solution at all workplaces...

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

It was simple..... I retired and apparently that made a lot of people very happy .... "

Hahaha

over a year ago

"We both work for ourselves, popping round for a mid-afternoon fuck improves morale no end.

"

I'll suggest this.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Can you expand a bit on whats causing the bad morale?

over a year ago

In all my time supervising, there's always bitching.

Get them out as a group...they then see the human side away from the workplace and realise the differences and difficulties they all face. Pulls them together.

over a year ago

How about doing something as a team for charity?

It can be as simple as get a few people to bake some cakes and sell them around the firm. All funds go to a chosen charity.

over a year ago

Morale where I work is about as low as it gets. Company I work for employs over 300,000 people. Pretty much everyone I speak to around the world feels the same.

Not sure how you recover morale levels in a company of that size when it's a widespread issue.

over a year ago

"Morale where I work is about as low as it gets. Company I work for employs over 300,000 people. Pretty much everyone I speak to around the world feels the same.

Not sure how you recover morale levels in a company of that size when it's a widespread issue."

like my work place

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Moral has been up and down like a yoyo in recent years. I believe it's down to who's in charge and at the moment we have a great boss so all is good atm

over a year ago

Are you a manager? I think morale comes from the manager, not the workers. That's their job.

If not then the manager leaving would boost morale

over a year ago

"Moral has been up and down like a yoyo in recent years. I believe it's down to who's in charge and at the moment we have a great boss so all is good atm "

I found myself in this position 2 yrs ago so i phone up one morning and told them i was coming back ever, 9yrs id worked there too

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

"We both work for ourselves, popping round for a mid-afternoon fuck improves morale no end.

"

This works for us too

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

OP I think a quick fix solution would be this.

Remove all your clothes, put pencils up your nostrils and your pants (if you're wearing any) on your head.

Then using either tannoy or phone system to the best of your ability ask for Mike Hunt and Don Kiddick to report to reception immediately.

If you don't raise a titter I suggest you resign

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

" In all my time supervising, there's always bitching.

Get them out as a group...they then see the human side away from the workplace and realise the differences and difficulties they all face. Pulls them together."

Paintballing

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"OP I think a quick fix solution would be this.

Remove all your clothes, put pencils up your nostrils and your pants (if you're wearing any) on your head.

Then using either tannoy or phone system to the best of your ability ask for Mike Hunt and Don Kiddick to report to reception immediately.

If you don't raise a titter I suggest you resign "

This is great advice , and should be acted upon immediately

By *egasus NobMan
over a year ago

Merton

"Are you a manager? I think morale comes from the manager, not the workers. That's their job.

If not then the manager leaving would boost morale "

lead by example if your are the manager and change things round of course with the input of others.

By *apillonNoirWoman
over a year ago

There...

Managing morale is hugely important in any workplace. A good manager will note working mood and take steps to elevate it rather than let it slide. Having said that, there’s usually one or two folk in every workplace who no matter what you do will go out of their way to disrupt proceedings. Morale is often best levelled by great communication from those above so no one feels they’re being kept in the dark or hearing stuff on the grapevine. Involving everyone in moving the organisation forward also often helps - make sure everyone knows they’re valued, valuable and vital to success. Good luck moving morale upwards - let us know how things go

over a year ago

"Moral has been up and down like a yoyo in recent years. I believe it's down to who's in charge and at the moment we have a great boss so all is good atm "

I've always found this, too. Who is in charge, how that person supervises, whether they are upbeat and give recognition to people - that's what has typically defined morale at the places I've worked.

Group events and teambuilding stuff always seems forced. Also, things that are advertised as relaxed teambuilding things have often just seemed more like an out-of-work test to me. When I was working my first serious post-graduation job in the U.S. I was told I had to attend such an event. The day after I was called into my boss' office and told that I didn't dress professionally enough at the team-building day. When I pointed out that plenty of people had worn jeans he said that I was young and I looked too much like a student when I wore them. High morale and team building, right?

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Wot do you work in op ?

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

"OP I think a quick fix solution would be this.

If you don't raise a titter I suggest you resign "

Things are bad all over it seems.. Possibly the uncertainty of the future is driving many companies to cut back.. just look at the best companies survey results, almost all of the top 100 have dropped down in the general scores across the board..

Just resign yourself to the fact that it's all a bit shit at the moment and WORK HARDER!!

over a year ago

Ask the boss for mor money

over a year ago

Does your team go out together ? Go out for a breakfast get together. Time away from the work environment helps people relax.

Set up a running club in lunchtime or after work. We have one and it really gets people to interact with different teams.

Do a lunch where you all bring one dish in and have lunch together where you all share.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Appreciation is normally the issue at my place. The company expects you to bleed their uniform and company values, yet doesn't offer the same loyalty to it's employees nor does it show real appreciation.

I had the wall of fame and the wall of shame. I would never shame individuals, however I'd take pictures of the consequences of lack lustre performance.

I'd snap people's pics on the sly when they were doing something well and put them on the wall of fame.

over a year ago

4 day week. That would cheer anyone up.

over a year ago

"4 day week. That would cheer anyone up. "

Some people are lucky enough to only do 3 ....

over a year ago

"4 day week. That would cheer anyone up.

Some people are lucky enough to only do 3 ...."

You must be clicking your heels

over a year ago

Sometimes something just as simple as a thank you would be nice.

But ideally, less hours,more pay, and stop being so mean with the rules . And a night out every once in a while

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"4 day week. That would cheer anyone up. "

80% pay won't cheer anybody up....

over a year ago

Team bonding day where all have to work together to do a task

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Team bonding day where all have to work together to do a task "

What about a team bondage day?

over a year ago

"Team bonding day where all have to work together to do a task

What about a team bondage day?"

Only if you work with sexy hunks

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

It's not easy changing company cultures and morale. The bigger the company the harder it is.

But simple things thank people,praise success, even if you can't pay more, it works one step one person at a time.

Get rid of pointless rules give as much freedom as you can. If someone has an idea to improve things listen act on it of even create space for people to have their own projects explored if they may benefit the company.

Be nice...yeah it sounds trite but this sort of change comes from the top...or if it's done in a smaller unit grows until the top have to recognise it.

Dare to challenge the stupid stuff..

Stand up for your tram and beliefs and if you do make sure you have an argument as to why it should be adopted company wide.

Don't let small resentments grow until they become major issues..

Allow people the space to express themselves...its usually far more effective than just paying people more to still be miserable because they can't see change.

They are your people find out what makes them tick and how best to give them opportunities..

Cake helps too...

Good luck OP.

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

OP hasn't replied back

Do you think she's sat there with pencils up her snozzer

over a year ago

80% pay won't cheer anybody up...."

Live for the dream. Not the money.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Hmm. I work in the public sector so a lot of the reasons morale is low is inflicted on us at a governmental level rather than a local management one. But maybe some indication that they appreciate us instead of piling more shit on us by making friends and colleagues redundant whilst shafting us over pay might help. Just maybe.

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Naked twister?

over a year ago

Install a sex swing?

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

80% pay won't cheer anybody up....

Live for the dream. Not the money. "

Exactly. I jacked in a good job and set up my own company, long hours at first. I did it to get more time, not more money. It's now worked out pretty good.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I'm my own boss!

over a year ago

"I'm my own boss! "

Boss me anytime

over a year ago

same where i was working...8 of us, all the more longterm employees have jacked it in in the last month.sadly in the job i was in it really doesnt matter..there's no incentive for any boss in that area to make any changes, and it will only get worse unfortunately.

over a year ago

Knock the boss out when he's speaking to everyone like s*** and that will cheer everyone up

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"I'm my own boss!

Boss me anytime "

Hmmmmmm

over a year ago

Can you expand a bit on whats causing the bad morale?"

Shit senior leadership team making bad decisions that are causing the company's profits to nosedive. Leadership team changing the goalposts monthly which means no-one really knows what the goal is. It's like a really bad emotionally abusive relationship.

over a year ago

"Managing morale is hugely important in any workplace. A good manager will note working mood and take steps to elevate it rather than let it slide. Having said that, there’s usually one or two folk in every workplace who no matter what you do will go out of their way to disrupt proceedings. Morale is often best levelled by great communication from those above so no one feels they’re being kept in the dark or hearing stuff on the grapevine. Involving everyone in moving the organisation forward also often helps - make sure everyone knows they’re valued, valuable and vital to success. Good luck moving morale upwards - let us know how things go "

The local leadership team are working hard to keep communication open and trying to improve morale with nights out etc. It's the off site leadership that is causing issues. We know the answer (get rid of off site leadership) but we're powerless to do anything about it.

over a year ago

"It's not easy changing company cultures and morale. The bigger the company the harder it is.

But simple things thank people,praise success, even if you can't pay more, it works one step one person at a time.

Get rid of pointless rules give as much freedom as you can. If someone has an idea to improve things listen act on it of even create space for people to have their own projects explored if they may benefit the company.

Be nice...yeah it sounds trite but this sort of change comes from the top...or if it's done in a smaller unit grows until the top have to recognise it.

Dare to challenge the stupid stuff..

Stand up for your tram and beliefs and if you do make sure you have an argument as to why it should be adopted company wide.

Don't let small resentments grow until they become major issues..

Allow people the space to express themselves...its usually far more effective than just paying people more to still be miserable because they can't see change.

They are your people find out what makes them tick and how best to give them opportunities..

Cake helps too...

Good luck OP.

"

I think there's an answer in here that will help, I just don't know what it is yet. Thank you.

Thank you to all the other answers too, it really helps.

These pencils up my nose.. not so much...

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

whenever managers have tried to boost morale wherever i have worked it has been through limp gestures like buying booze and cakes for everyone.

For me, the best way to boost my morale is to engage with me, make me feel like i am part of the team and that what i do makes a difference.

My place is shocking right now.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Quiz on a Friday with the wider team....and get someone new to do the quiz each week....

The. Winner gets cake vouchers

over a year ago

A team with strong leadership and management shouldn't suffer low morale. There are lots of ways to boost morale, but until the source is dealt with you are just plastering over the cracks.

I've been a manager, and by effective communication, being fair with constructive criticism

And dealing with issues as they arise and also by being consistent.

I felt it was important for my girls to see my weaknesses, for me to admit mistakes and be accountable.

My ex manager was chronic, used to be out constantly, ignoring staff requests for meetings. Lowest she sank was when she left her kids at the workplace dashing off for an emergency, turns out she had left her kids to go shagging her new boyfriend. Late picking her kids up, her look was priceless, make up smeared and clothes inside out. Dirty skank, certainly gave us staff a giggle.

By *nJ_NW_cplCouple
over a year ago

wirral

We did the full on Dale Carnegie thing in work, use peoples first names, say please and thank you and well done occasionally.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Get yourself promoted to managing director. Acheiving this will in reality require a lot less effort than your normal work. Then out source everything abroad. Get the directors on boad for the asset stripping. Trouser your share and fck off.

By *hips n FursMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

I've often found the little things go along way where work. I don't spend much time in my office.I'll go around and take over a mac_ine and tell the operative go have a extra break if they have been struggling. I also buy them all a bottle of spirits at Christmas,just to say thank you. The other two shifts get sod all from their managers. All the little things add up.The end result is they will do anything I ask them, and I have a hassle free happy shift.

Post new Message to Thread