Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Kneeling during national anthem

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Donald Trump began Sunday with yet another attack on NFL players kneeling in protest of the national anthem.

Shortly before his treasury secretary insisted the president was not picking a fight, Trump doubled down on his bellicose remarks from a rally in Alabama on Friday night. The president repeated his challenge to NFL team owners to “fire or suspend” any player who fails to stand and encouraged fans to stop attending games until the owners take action."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/24/donald-trump-nfl-protests-kneel-anthem

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Trump is correct. It is about courtesy and respect for a country and its national anthem.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Don't know full story and to be honest don't really care but Americans do invest a lot more patriotism into their nation anthem and flag, think they still pledge allegiance each morning at school so perhaps rather than people just focusing on another anti-Trump rant we should look at their big picture.

Reply privately

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"Trump is correct. It is about courtesy and respect for a country and its national anthem.

"

You lost me at "Trump is correct"

Reply privately

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

"Don't know full story and to be honest don't really care but Americans do invest a lot more patriotism into their nation anthem and flag, think they still pledge allegiance each morning at school so perhaps rather than people just focusing on another anti-Trump rant we should look at their big picture. "

The big picture as in how many innocent black men are being shot by cops

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Trump is correct. It is about courtesy and respect for a country and its national anthem.

"

Can you give more information?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ugh. For the past few months I've heard non-stop from American conservatives that liberals have forgotten what free speech is (and Berkley is often cited as the example of this amnesia). And yet conservatives get up in arms about the most protected of speech - political speech - when it comes to the flag and the national anthem. The hypocrisy is tiring.

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

You stand up for a national anthem, even if it is not yours. You sing it if it is yours and you know the words. If not you remain silent.

Trump called for players to be sacked if they failed to do that. Therefore he is correct.

Reply privately

By *ella-donnaWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Trump is a racist, privileged white male and a draft dodger who wouldn't know what respect for his country was if it bit him on his arse.

Good on these sportsmen for supporting what they believe in and not allowing themselves to be bullied by their joke of a president.

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"

Yes Hitler

The people MUST bow to the thinking of the state or be denounced and punished for disobeying mein leaders way me life

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

It's called manners and formalities. Sportspeople are representing their country and should behave appropriately.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/09/17 16:18:39]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's called manners and formalities. Sportspeople are representing their country and should behave appropriately."

They should stand up for issues they believe in. Telling a person of colour to be quiet and "behave appropriately" sounds an awful lot like white privilege and oppression - exactly what they're making a stand against.

Fuck your "manners and formalities"

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

What nonsense.

These sportspeople represent their country. If they are not prepared to show respect, they should be sacked

Reply privately

over a year ago

Those who believe you're disrespecting your country by kneeling for the national anthem are being taken in by propaganda. These athletes are using their stage to raise awareness of inequality and police brutality suffered by minorities. Trump is an enemy of free speech and peaceful protest - he knows he is wrong so he just has a tantrum and demands they be fired.

Trump is wrong. Personally I hope every pro American athlete takes a knee, regardless of what colour their skin is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What nonsense.

These sportspeople represent their country. If they are not prepared to show respect, they should be sacked "

Ok Hitler.

Reply privately

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

So in summary, trump is pissed at NFL players who kneel during the playing of the US national anthem at games, to highlight racial injustice.

From what I've just read an awful lot of other people are pissed off about it too as game attendance has dropped significantly.

Fighting racism by disrespecting an entire country

Reply privately

By *ally_weaverMan
over a year ago

Stoneyburn

"What nonsense.

These sportspeople represent their country. If they are not prepared to show respect, they should be sacked "

Sorry i couldn't hear you over all the shit you were talking. Black lives matter. Trump is playing to his demographic of racist idiotic Americans. Look at his comments during recent far right demonstrations.

Reply privately

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Does any country that doesn't respect it's peolle dedreve respect.

The right of protest and overthrowing a corrupt government is even written into the US Constitution ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm with Bill Hicks on the whole American patriotism thing:

That flag burning thing, god did that bring up some retarded emotions… The flag! The flag! They said we can burn the flag!!! they didn’t say that, they said if a guy burns a flag he probably doesn’t have to go to jail… For a fucking year! People going… “Hey buddy, let me tell you something… My daddy died for that flag!” Really? I bought mine, you know they sell them in K-mart, three bucks. “He died in the Korean war for that flag.” Well want a coincidence! Mine was made in Korea! He didn’t die for a fucking flag, it’s just a piece of cloth, he died for what the flag represents and the freedom To Burn The Fucking Flag!

I don’t approve of flag-burning. I don’t wanna burn a flag, but if somebody wants to burn a flag, what business is it of mine? Is it my business if somebody wants to burn a flag? Is it? No, it’s not. Is it my business what other people read/watch on TV? NO, IT’S NOT! You see, when you talk these things out they come a little clearer, don’t they? They do.That’s called logic and it’ll help us all evolve and get on the fuckin’ spaceships and GET OUTTA HERE! Let’s go!

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Trump is the one trying to overthrow corruption, and to drain the Washington swamp.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ok. Here's what I think.

I think that the first amendment, and free speech more specifically, has been misrepresented in society for too long. People forget that the first amendment only applies to how the US government treats you (it didn't even apply to the individual states until the passing of the 14th amendment following the civil war, but that's a whole different issue). It does not require that private organizations give you a platform on which you can speak.

Can the NFL fire players for kneeling? Sure. They don't have a legal obligation to respect "free speech" in the same way that the government has to respect it. Should they, though? I would say not. Sports in America has a history of political participation. I think it would be frankly unamerican if the NFL took such action. But they could if they wanted to.

However, I think that this same reasoning needs to apply to other speech platforms, such as Universities. Conservative can't w_ine about talks being cancelled at places like UC Berkeley but then demand the firing of citizens expressing their speech on the football field.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Trump is the one trying to overthrow corruption, and to drain the Washington swamp.

"

Trump is what now? Overthrowing corruption? Which one of his sycophantic tax dodging cronies or family member has he put in charge of that department?

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

He is draining the Washington elite swamp.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"He is draining the Washington elite swamp."

In what way and in what world is that happening?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's called manners and formalities. Sportspeople are representing their country and should behave appropriately."

But the NFL players aren;t representing their country...

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Hence all the squealing and the resistance from the left wing elite

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hence all the squealing and the resistance from the left wing elite "

Out of interest who are the left wing elise?

And the Washington swamp?

And for that matterwhat corruption is he trying to overthrow?

And will you ignore this post unable to answer those questions having heard those soundbites but having no idea what they mean?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What nonsense.

Exactly they represent their country so they should take a stand (or a knee)when their county is being led in the wrong direction.

I was in the states the week trump was elected and encountered racism on three seperate occasions, and on one of those occasions the guy directly mentioned trump to me. I don't think it's something you'll ever understand unless you've gone through it yourself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hear, hear

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

Can everyone calm the fuck down?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hence all the squealing and the resistance from the left wing elite

Out of interest who are the left wing elise?

And the Washington swamp?

And for that matterwhat corruption is he trying to overthrow?

And will you ignore this post unable to answer those questions having heard those soundbites but having no idea what they mean?

"

You're wasting your effort on this troll mate. He's either just trying to get a reaction, or he's really stupid enough to believe what he's typed!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think hes missed the point. We live in a democratic society.

Sure if his peers and the country want to frown at the perceived lack of respect then great.

But when we get punished for not doing so we've transgressed into a scary place as a country. Encourage and educate and set examples not enforce such matters.

Reply privately

over a year ago

2 rules in America, if you're white and commit a heinous crime you are arrested and tried.

If you're black and commit a petty crime you're likely to be shot dead.

These players are using their rights to protest, maybe if the laws respected these ppl then these ppl would show respect?

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

Now I get it.

So I take it these nfl players are black and are protesting along the lines of Black lives matter; right?

And they are doing that by taking a knee during the national anthem. Hmmm. I see.

And I presume there is a resultant " all lives matter" reaction along the lines of " you are disrespecting the whose of the US by taking a knee"

Is this what the whole brouhaha is about?

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

What absolute rubbish. Why do you always make it a race thing?

Politics have no place in sport.

Sportspeople should be apolitical.

Sport should be an escape from politics, not a mouthpiece for it.

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

* the whole*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What absolute rubbish. Why do you always make it a race thing?

Sport should be an escape from politics, not a mouthpiece for it."

It's black people protesting about the treatment of black people, it is a race issue.

Reply privately

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

"2 rules in America, if you're white and commit a heinous crime you are arrested and tried.

These players are using their rights to protest, maybe if the laws respected these ppl then these ppl would show respect?"

Cops give a damn about a negro

Pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero

Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares

One less hungry mouth on the welfare

First ship 'em dope and let 'em deal the brothers

Give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other.

Tupac Shakur.

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

"Now I get it.

So I take it these nfl players are black and are protesting along the lines of Black lives matter; right?

And they are doing that by taking a knee during the national anthem. Hmmm. I see.

And I presume there is a resultant " all lives matter" reaction along the lines of " you are disrespecting the whose of the US by taking a knee"

Is this what the whole brouhaha is about?"

Is this what it's about?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"2 rules in America, if you're white and commit a heinous crime you are arrested and tried.

These players are using their rights to protest, maybe if the laws respected these ppl then these ppl would show respect?"

Unfortunately people posting facts they probably learnt on Facebook rarely help calm complex and volatile situations.

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Nor do they ever look at crime statistics to discover which racial group commits the most crime, proportionate to the population as a whole.

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

"Nor do they ever look at crime statistics to discover which racial group commits the most crime, proportionate to the population as a whole."

What are you trying to say, young man?

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

That people should read statistics and become informed before they make comments.

Reply privately

over a year ago

These players are using their rights to protest, maybe if the laws respected these ppl then these ppl would show respect?

Unfortunately people posting facts they probably learnt on Facebook rarely help calm complex and volatile situations."

I'm not on Facebook so?

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

Anyway, is the prez right by calling for sanctions and boycotts and dismissals?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it odd that you say this while posting plenty of empty rhetoric on this thread

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"Trump is a racist, privileged white male and a draft dodger who wouldn't know what respect for his country was if it bit him on his arse.

Good on these sportsmen for supporting what they believe in and not allowing themselves to be bullied by their joke of a president.

"

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

I find it odd that you say this while posting plenty of empty rhetoric on this thread "

I have not posted any rhetoric.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"That people should read statistics and become informed before they make comments."

Correct. However, white people commit more crime in this country. Crime statistics are generally tied up with poverty rather than race. Unfortunately in America race and poverty tend to be one and the same issue. Another reason for taking a complicated knee rather than a black and white one (see what I did there?).

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Trump is a racist, privileged white male and a draft dodger who wouldn't know what respect for his country was if it bit him on his arse.

"

He is the democratically elected president. They the idiots.

Reply privately

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

He is the democratically elected president. They the idiots."

rigged and i wont stand or sing along to any national anthem..so shoot me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What nonsense.

You dont know shit about what you are talking about. They play for individual teams, not the country. They took a knee today at Wembley for the US national anthem but all stood up for the British national anthem.

Now we should all be fired for having an opinion or stance on a certain subject?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it odd that you say this while posting plenty of empty rhetoric on this thread

I have not posted any rhetoric."

You have, your narrative is plain to see.

Reply privately

By *ella-donnaWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Indeed he is. But he's still a narcissistic bully and a cunt

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nor do they ever look at crime statistics to discover which racial group commits the most crime, proportionate to the population as a whole."

This false statistic is the whole problem. If you are a certain race you are more likely to be accused of a crime. You're more likely to be stopped in the street. You're more likely to be arrested. You're more likely to receive a guilty verdict from a jury etc.

That doesn't mean they do most of the crime - it means that the police and the system is biased against them.

Also if you genuinely believe that your ethnicity has correlation with criminality (as suggested by you posting this) then you are a grade A cunt.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Trump is the one trying to overthrow corruption, and to drain the Washington swamp.

"

Trump is more corrupt than most Americans. You shouldnt speak without knowledge of the subject

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

Indeed, Trump was elected DEMICRATICALLY.

The vibes I get from across the pond tell a different story. I am lost for words. Makes me wonder if he is indeed doing exactly what a lot of people want(ed) and yet, these same people go about distancing themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

These people?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unfortunately people posting facts they probably learnt on Facebook rarely help calm complex and volatile situations.

I'm not on Facebook so?"

I doubt your point raised above is based in evidence that is objective.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have not posted any rhetoric."

What aboyt when you posted this:

"Trump is the one trying to overthrow corruption, and to drain the Washington swamp"

or this:

"Hence all the squealing and the resistance from the left wing elite "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not on Facebook so?

I doubt your point raised above is based in evidence that is objective."

Funny but that is exactly why I raised it, do we hear of any white Americans being gunned down for any crimes?

We do hear of black Americans being killed for things such as reaching into a glove compartment for his drivers license, which he'd just been asked for though.

The treatment of different races in America isn't consistent so don't suggest I'm some sort of thick social media believing idiot.

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

The hypocrisy of Trump and the right in general is stunning. They rail against 'PC' and say how much free speech should be cherished, and then as soon as someone says/does something that goes against their particular ideals they start calling for that person to be fired. Pathetic, really.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"What nonsense.

Whilst I do agree that sports people should not bring their politics onto the playing field o think it fair to point out that American footballers are not representing their country when they fail to stand for the American national anthem. No more than Chelsworth players represent great Britain.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

this..

Reply privately

over a year ago

People used to kneel for the monarch, so are they technically being more respectful?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not on Facebook so?

Funny but that is exactly why I raised it, do we hear of any white Americans being gunned down for any crimes?

We do hear of black Americans being killed for things such as reaching into a glove compartment for his drivers license, which he'd just been asked for though.

The treatment of different races in America isn't consistent so don't suggest I'm some sort of thick social media believing idiot."

You made a statement that if you're black and commit a crime you're likely to be shot. I'm sorry but I didn't detect any hint of satire or parody?

Are you claiming this to be a fact or your opinion? Or are you saying your statement was delivered in sarcasm?

There are numerous shootings where the incident could have been handled differently and better and those specific incidents need protesting over. Not every one fits that criteria despite the media's desire to make it so.

Reply privately

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

this..

"

Agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

Surely he'd prefer this form of peaceful protest over days of rioting?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Surely he'd prefer this form of peaceful protest over days of rioting? "

Have you been following the news at all?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Surely he'd prefer this form of peaceful protest over days of rioting?

Have you been following the news at all?! "

?

Reply privately

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

"People used to kneel for the monarch, so are they technically being more respectful? "

You were told to kneel before the monarch, standing would be treason.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People used to kneel for the monarch, so are they technically being more respectful?

You were told to kneel before the monarch, standing would be treason."

Ah yes, the good old days

Reply privately

By *anda2Couple
over a year ago

Norwich

Is this still a swinging site. ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Have you been following the news at all?! ?"

It's not a difficult question lol

Trump courts controversy and lobes nothing more than pitting people against each other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You lost me at "Trump is correct" "

I picked up on that too.

he is a CUNT.

simple.

Reply privately

By *anda2Couple
over a year ago

Norwich

Love to have a lady kneel in front of us mmmm

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have you been following the news at all?! ?

Trump courts controversy and lobes nothing more than pitting people against each other. "

Should've said that in the first place

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Trump courts controversy and lobes nothing more than pitting people against each other. Should've said that in the first place "

Why?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is this still a swinging site. ? "

fancy a fuck...or is yer wifes tits ready for ma jizz.

Cant we talk about stuff...other than jizzing on yer wifes tits or face?...

surely not...on a swinging site...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You stand up for a national anthem, even if it is not yours. You sing it if it is yours and you know the words. If not you remain silent.

Trump called for players to be sacked if they failed to do that. Therefore he is correct."

How come England football fans don't abide by your rules? They have been known to boo during opposition national anthems

Reply privately

over a year ago

Trump courts controversy and lobes nothing more than pitting people against each other. Should've said that in the first place

Why? "

we would have reached this conclusion with two fewer posts, more efficient

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Trump courts controversy and lobes nothing more than pitting people against each other. Should've said that in the first place

Why? we would have reached this conclusion with two fewer posts, more efficient "

Like I said.... It wasn't a difficult question

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why? we would have reached this conclusion with two fewer posts, more efficient

Like I said.... It wasn't a difficult question "

then you should've answered that in the first place then lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not on Facebook so?

The treatment of different races in America isn't consistent so don't suggest I'm some sort of thick social media believing idiot.

You made a statement that if you're black and commit a crime you're likely to be shot. I'm sorry but I didn't detect any hint of satire or parody?

Are you claiming this to be a fact or your opinion? Or are you saying your statement was delivered in sarcasm?

There are numerous shootings where the incident could have been handled differently and better and those specific incidents need protesting over. Not every one fits that criteria despite the media's desire to make it so."

There was sarcasm in there.

What I mentioned is a small part of the problem, the continued oppression of black people in America is huge, Trump is making it worse, he's a racist idiot.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's being made into a race thing because the whole #TakeTheKnee movement was started because of racism

Reply privately

over a year ago

I will not stand or kneel or sing,even though I may feel obligated to, if i attend a church for a wedding.

(Then we have another debate about people getting married in church, when they never go)

Nor stand for the national anthem. Nor bow in front of any queen or king.

Nobody tells me what to respect, salute or now to.

Respect has to be earned.

Reply privately

By *rNaughtyNickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

You lost me at "Trump is correct" "

+1

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Trump is not correct! He is a hypocritical racist, looking for an easy target to rally his base!

He supports the maintenance of confederate monuments including the right to wave the confederate flag. These symbols are the antithesis of what he says about patriotism, flag and country. The confederate States and leaders tried to break up the Union!

Add to that his comments on John McCain during the primaries and the insults to vets with ptsd...... Faking his way out of conscription. ...... and his defence of first amendment rights of alt right and white supremacists/Nazis/Kkk members......

Don't see that how you can say that he has any deep seated patriotisim, respect for the Flag or Nation......

Don't see

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not on Facebook so?

There are numerous shootings where the incident could have been handled differently and better and those specific incidents need protesting over. Not every one fits that criteria despite the media's desire to make it so.

What I mentioned is a small part of the problem, the continued oppression of black people in America is huge, Trump is making it worse, he's a racist idiot."

Then I apologise for misreading your post.

I do despair at Trump...yet at times he appears like an oxymoron.

Though it's troubling to see that the approach to modern day politics seems to be you're either for or against an idea. Whatever happened to trying to understand all perspectives. The media has a lot to answer for in my opinion...they selectively report facts and twist stories.

Reply privately

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

For me this is a delicate subject. My family come from a us milatary background from civil war right through to my 2 cousin in in cadets 1

I don’t think anyone should disrespect the flag personally. Taking the knee for me is a bit, but then I think also that there is huge social and racist unjstice in America still, and this is america’s New war

I would be very disappointed if milrtary people took the knee however I think what people are saying regarding trump is that we have to have change.

Trump is a waste of oxygen!!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The fact these guys felt they needed to make a statement says it all...very sad that any prejudice exists in 2017...

Reply privately

over a year ago

your nievity about history, current affairs and politics is quite astounding considering how quick you are to state a public opinion on what are actually deep and hugely complex issues. ....

I suggest you have a long look at the complexities and reasons behind the boycott of South African sports teams during the Apartheid era and the important role it had in legitimizing, publicising and promoting the fledgeling anti Apartheid movement......

And also the important role that sports had in unifying the the country in the early days of tension and turmoil in the post apartheid era. ...

Reply privately

By *ancastermanMan
over a year ago

carnforth

The Regulations around the US flag specify certain acts as disrespectful in Chapter 10 of the Code of Conduct.

Kneeling is not listed. But there are multiple offences that occur regularly;

Displaying the flag flat (e.g. those giant flags that cover the whole field.

Attaching the flag to a sports or non military uniform. Most teams do this.

Adding the flag to items such as cushions or pillows. On sale nationwide.

Nobody seems bothered about these things which are officially disrespectful, but only about a thing which isn't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find this rallying to nationalism hugely depressing and mostly driven by old bastards and supported by narrow minded fucktards.

Here and there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

can't see any of intelligent owners of US sports teams shooting themselves in the foot by sacking their meal ticket to the gravy train somehow .... maybe idiotic ones but not the intelligent ones

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"You stand up for a national anthem, even if it is not yours. You sing it if it is yours and you know the words. If not you remain silent.

Trump called for players to be sacked if they failed to do that. Therefore he is correct."

in your world what happens if someone does not act as you say above regarding the National anthem..?

which being ex military i disagree with by the way..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not on Facebook so?

What I mentioned is a small part of the problem, the continued oppression of black people in America is huge, Trump is making it worse, he's a racist idiot.

Then I apologise for misreading your post.

I do despair at Trump...yet at times he appears like an oxymoron.

Though it's troubling to see that the approach to modern day politics seems to be you're either for or against an idea. Whatever happened to trying to understand all perspectives. The media has a lot to answer for in my opinion...they selectively report facts and twist stories."

No problem, yes, the main stream media are twisting everything to suit the people who own thems agenda.

It's hard to know what's right or wrong anymore.

Reply privately

By *a72Man
over a year ago

london

At last something interesting has happened during an American sport!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Regulations around the US flag specify certain acts as disrespectful in Chapter 10 of the Code of Conduct.

Nobody seems bothered about these things which are officially disrespectful, but only about a thing which isn't.

"

Love it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Actually, Trump is wrong...

There is NO Law, Statute or Regulation which requires players to stand during the National Anthem.

In the aftermath of Kaepernick's protest, the NFL issued a statement to the effect that "Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the National Anthem."

It has NEVER been a requirement to stand for the National Anthem: the only exception was during WWII, when SOME cities passed ordnances obliging citizens to stand for the Anthem.

In fact, during the 1930s, suggestion that people should be obliged to stand during the Anthem 'smacked of German Militarism' and 'Totalitarianism.'

https://timeline.com/illegal-stand-national-anthem-222775e14f93

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Don't hesitate to flag it up when he gets round to doing that...

Reply privately

By *oxesMan
over a year ago

Southend, Essex

Your forgetting that standing and national anthems are new traditions. In many Eastern and until recently western societies proskynesis was prefered in the veneration of precious objects or people who are seen to be superior to oneself.

I feel personally if you see the footage many are singing and other with hand on chest.

American society is more patriotic and put more emotional currency in such things. In my personal opinion the jags and raven players are being courteiouse but are making a political point at the same time, that does not impede freedom of speech. It's not like the titans who refused to stand or kneel or even acknowledge the anthem.

Reply privately

over a year ago

""Donald Trump began Sunday with yet another attack on NFL players kneeling in protest of the national anthem.

Shortly before his treasury secretary insisted the president was not picking a fight, Trump doubled down on his bellicose remarks from a rally in Alabama on Friday night. The president repeated his challenge to NFL team owners to “fire or suspend” any player who fails to stand and encouraged fans to stop attending games until the owners take action."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/24/donald-trump-nfl-protests-kneel-anthem

"

Honestly, anyone who doesnt support this is an idiot, no matter what you do or who you are, innocent black people are being murdered by police in america every day, right wing violence is on the up & black people in th US are already marginalised as it is, its only getting worse. These players are making a peaceful stand on a global stage to show that they cannot & will not support a constitution that treats white & black citizens differently, after all, if the country you were born in marginalised you, would you still stand & sing its anthem in front of millions? Would you fuck.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People shouldn't be dictated to regarding how they behave towards their own national anthem. People have a right for free thought no matter what others feel is right or wrong. I saw one military guy having a rant earlier about 'these pussies' wouldn't dare represent their country in a war. He'd probably find many wouldn't dream of joining the military as they have their own views and wouldn't be willing to fight in a war they didn't believe in or wouldn't be brainwashed into believing the spin why the war was happening from the home government

Reply privately

over a year ago

There's always a tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/387565483303923712

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"American society is more patriotic and put more emotional currency in such things. In my personal opinion the jags and raven players are being courteiouse but are making a political point at the same time, that does not impede freedom of speech. It's not like the titans who refused to stand or kneel or even acknowledge the anthem. "

This I agree with

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tommy Smith and John Carlos - 1968 Olympics black power salute.

Lessons from history.

Reply privately

over a year ago

When you look, and I mean really look at America,the allegiance is not patriotism, it is the product of brainwashing.

America's citizens are some of the most repressed in the World. The citizens have less rights than other western countries, and don't get me started on how even less rights to children have.

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, two countries in the world have signed the convention, but not ratified it. One country is America,the other is the Sudan.

To look into makes fascinating research.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There's always a tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/387565483303923712"

Reply privately

By *ethnmelvCouple
over a year ago

Chudleigh

"

With you all the way

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I saw one military guy having a rant earlier about 'these pussies' wouldn't dare represent their country in a war."

I hate military knuckleheads who think that having served in the armed forces makes you an expert on anything relating to politics, and automatically more patriotic than anyone else...

It might interest them to know that in the late eighteenth century - i.e. During and immediately after the American Revolution - the concept of a professional 'Standing Army' was regarded as symbolic of AUTHORITARIAN government.

Consequently, the 2nd Amendment - the Right to Bear Arms - was designed to PREVENT the Federal Government from using the Army as a political tool; mainly by allowing individual States to maintain Citizen Militias.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think the NFL players are taking major risks by kneeling but are doing so because they have an incredibly visible position for the nation - and they want to make a bold statement about grave injustices that they are seeing in the country.

They understand the perceived wrong that others may judge from their acts but take this course due to the seriousness of the wrongs they're protesting.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

Good work by the kneeling players.

WTF are they doing playing the national anthem at a CLUB football match anyway and what the fuck has it got to do with the president.

Fact is it is all part of Trump's standard practice... stir up shit at regular intervals so that nobody can nail him down about anything in particular.

The guy is a mobster and stupid.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

Oh, and its a criminal offence for the president to influence the employment decisions of a private organisation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When you look, and I mean really look at America,the allegiance is not patriotism, it is the product of brainwashing.

America's citizens are some of the most repressed in the World. The citizens have less rights than other western countries, and don't get me started on how even less rights to children have.

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, two countries in the world have signed the convention, but not ratified it. One country is America,the other is the Sudan.

To look into makes fascinating research."

I dont understand how more of you dont know this. Thank you

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"

You know that's a criminal offence right ? The president acting with the intention of influencing the employment decisions of a private organisations is a felony punishable by a fine, up to 15 years in prison and/or a ban from public office.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"

No they don't... they represent their sport and their clubs... this is a CLUB match, not a national team event.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"

He is a corrupt gangster

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"Now I get it.

Is this what the whole brouhaha is about?

Is this what it's about?"

Yes

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"People used to kneel for the monarch, so are they technically being more respectful?

You were told to kneel before the monarch, standing would be treason."

And yet when Corbyn chose not to kneel before the Queen, the Queen wasn't bothered in the slightest and the privy council ceremony went on just the same.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

apart from the fact that Trump is never, and will never ever be correct about anything, it is nothing to do with courtesy!! and has everything to do with the players respect for their country..Trump would far rather protests became ugly and violent as that suits his agenda..this is a powerful, and very visible way of getting their message across.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The players deserve the right to protest.

As a NFL player you're both a prominent household figure and a voiceless icon. They express their opinion regarding the past and present treatment of minorities in the USA through this protest and tbh it's very effective.

I think everyone has the right to an opinion especially those who are expected to play a role and promote false homogeneity. Which is what Trump wants.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

"The Regulations around the US flag specify certain acts as disrespectful in Chapter 10 of the Code of Conduct.

"

Wearing apparel of the Stars and Stripes is illegal but there are plenty of Americans who "disrespect" the flag in that way.

Anyway they're not disrespecting "the flag", they are kneeling during the anthem, nothing to do with the flag.

Reply privately

By *obin_and_marionMan
over a year ago

Beaconsfield

apart from the fact that Trump is never, and will never ever be correct about anything, it is nothing to do with courtesy!! and has everything to do with the players respect for their country..Trump would far rather protests became ugly and violent as that suits his agenda..this is a powerful, and very visible way of getting their message across."

Trump shows no sign of respect for truth, decency, people, the law or the constitution.... he is so stupid he doesn't recognise the irony of him criticising others on the subject of respect.

Reply privately

By *razedcatMan
over a year ago

London / Herts

Trump is an ignorant, intolerant, immature ass. Defenders will claim he's a breath of fresh air, a new approach to governance - I believe he has left a irremovable stain on American politics, further dividing an already fraying society whilst simultaneously goading fellow world leaders into arms races and military action.

Seven months into his term, and I still don't know why the powers that be allowed for his imposition as the Republican candidate, then President.

Reply privately

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Just making a point. These players aren't representing their country. They are representing their team. I have no idea why they play the star spangled banner at none final games. It's akin to playing god save the queen at a premiership game which doesnt happen.

I can see why the players are doing this protest. I can also see why a lot of people are calling it disrespectful.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What nonsense.

what nonsense.

These sportspeople are representing their clubs, cities & regions, NOT their country.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As a self confessed republican Jeremy Corbyn refused to sing our national anthem.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think the NFL players are taking major risks by kneeling but are doing so because they have an incredibly visible position for the nation - and they want to make a bold statement about grave injustices that they are seeing in the country.

They understand the perceived wrong that others may judge from their acts but take this course due to the seriousness of the wrongs they're protesting. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

apart from the fact that Trump is never, and will never ever be correct about anything, it is nothing to do with courtesy!! and has everything to do with the players respect for their country..Trump would far rather protests became ugly and violent as that suits his agenda..this is a powerful, and very visible way of getting their message across.

Trump shows no sign of respect for truth, decency, people, the law or the constitution.... he is so stupid he doesn't recognise the irony of him criticising others on the subject of respect."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As a self confessed republican Jeremy Corbyn refused to sing our national anthem..... "

He had to swear allegiance to the Queen to serve as leader of his party. Do you think he had his fingers crossed?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If they feel it's the only way of getting across what discontent there is in America then fine. If its a self indulged publicity move then no. Given Trump included in his comments that they need to respect the country's system which has allowed them to earn millions and we are in a world where their views can be read by a few hundred million on social media, it's up to us to make a considered opinion on the action they've taken.

Reply privately

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Watching the videos this morning of people taking the knee is very powerful

Personally I think taking the knee is respecting the anthem. 3 teams actively did not leave the locker room; when the raiders sat.

Even in major cities racism is still huge. I went to New York 3 years ago, and went in to Harlem and when to a restaurant that was full of black people and the server asked me if I was ok - I said yes why wouldn’t I be!!, the message I think was that it was unusual to see a white person

In the south the racial divide is Huge still

Reply privately

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

We refuse to stand for the UK national anthem under all circumstances. There is no way we will stand for some jingoistic nonsense about an invisible 'sky fairy saving someone who was born of some magical vagina".

Monarchy and national anthems are all about perpetuating the elitist institutions that try to keep the status quo and wealth in their grubby little hands.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

"If they feel it's the only way of getting across what discontent there is in America then fine. If its a self indulged publicity move then no. Given Trump included in his comments that they need to respect the country's system which has allowed them to earn millions and we are in a world where their views can be read by a few hundred million on social media, it's up to us to make a considered opinion on the action they've taken. "

Yeah, the country did them a favour by ALLOWING them to make millions.

Reply privately

By *lacksausageMan
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

This is exactly what happened during the black lives matter campaign.

Once again they succeeded.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In a country that touts freedom of speach amongst it's highest principles Donald Trump should take note of this not criticise it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We refuse to stand for the UK national anthem under all circumstances. There is no way we will stand for some jingoistic nonsense about an invisible 'sky fairy saving someone who was born of some magical vagina".

Monarchy and national anthems are all about perpetuating the elitist institutions that try to keep the status quo and wealth in their grubby little hands.

Wake up and smell the coffee."

crikey, lighten up it's sunny out!

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"We refuse to stand for the UK national anthem under all circumstances. There is no way we will stand for some jingoistic nonsense about an invisible 'sky fairy saving someone who was born of some magical vagina".

Wake up and smell the coffee."

This.

I strongly dislike bragging about and glorifying one's particular part of the world and I would like people who do like that sort of thing to respect my beliefs just as I respect their rights to stand up for and sing whatever they like.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This.

I strongly dislike bragging about and glorifying one's particular part of the world and I would like people who do like that sort of thing to respect my beliefs just as I respect their rights to stand up for and sing whatever they like. "

Has anyone in the last ten years been forced to stand up and sing or threatened if they don't? I think the answer is No?

So your beliefs are respected?

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

This.

I strongly dislike bragging about and glorifying one's particular part of the world and I would like people who do like that sort of thing to respect my beliefs just as I respect their rights to stand up for and sing whatever they like.

Has anyone in the last ten years been forced to stand up and sing or threatened if they don't? I think the answer is No?

So your beliefs are respected?"

One of the great things about being British is that we never used to go in for excessive nationalistic displays. No one outside the far right gave a damn about the union flag and most people viewed the national anthem as slightly embarrassing.

Now that is ebbing away. Can Corbyn being seated for not singing the anthem and the hateful rhetoric around brexit.

Reply privately

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

J F Kennedy us president 1961 to 1963, The greatest speech maker in modern times, thou probabily not sqeaky clean Taken away from this world by two gun shots, in a similar way as most of his Family was, I,ll be surprised if trump

Ever gets to be a old man he,s far from

Sqeaky clean and not sane in my book, If he Escapes a assasins bullet or another attempt on his life he,ll be a very lucky man Indeed there will be those out there planning his downfall as I speak, Only somebody as Insane as him would carry on regardless with his policys and speeches.

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"J F Kennedy us president 1961 to 1963, The greatest speech maker in modern times, thou probabily not sqeaky clean Taken away from this world by two gun shots, in a similar way as most of his Family was, I,ll be surprised if trump

Ever gets to be a old man he,s far from

Sqeaky clean and not sane in my book, If he Escapes a assasins bullet or another attempt on his life he,ll be a very lucky man Indeed there will be those out there planning his downfall as I speak, Only somebody as Insane as him would carry on regardless with his policys and speeches. "

Isn't he in his 70's?

Reply privately

over a year ago

This.

One of the great things about being British is that we never used to go in for excessive nationalistic displays. No one outside the far right gave a damn about the union flag and most people viewed the national anthem as slightly embarrassing.

Now that is ebbing away. Can Corbyn being seated for not singing the anthem and the hateful rhetoric around brexit. "

I'm not suggesting that people have to stand for the national anthem but the likes of Corbyn are the exception. As a public figure who one day hopes to lead the nation he should show deference and respect to the crown. That fact that he refused to should see him sent to the Tower, at least then we wouldn't have to look at his annoying weasel face nor have to listen to his nation destroying, nonsensical rhetoric.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In a country that touts freedom of speach amongst it's highest principles Donald Trump should take note of this not criticise it."

As was stated by Justice Robert Jackson in 1943:

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that NO OFFICIAL, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

In other words, Trump has NO authority to instruct the NFL to compel players to stand for the National Anthem.

Reply privately

By *ancastermanMan
over a year ago

carnforth

This.

Now that is ebbing away. Can Corbyn being seated for not singing the anthem and the hateful rhetoric around brexit.

I'm not suggesting that people have to stand for the national anthem but the likes of Corbyn are the exception. As a public figure who one day hopes to lead the nation he should show deference and respect to the crown. That fact that he refused to should see him sent to the Tower, at least then we wouldn't have to look at his annoying weasel face nor have to listen to his nation destroying, nonsensical rhetoric."

No. Nobody regardless of position should be forced to stand or kneel or whatever. I have no desire to meet Mrs Windsor or her dodgy relatives, but I certainly wouldn't bow or kneel or call her by some pathetic title.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This.

I'm not suggesting that people have to stand for the national anthem but the likes of Corbyn are the exception. As a public figure who one day hopes to lead the nation he should show deference and respect to the crown. That fact that he refused to should see him sent to the Tower, at least then we wouldn't have to look at his annoying weasel face nor have to listen to his nation destroying, nonsensical rhetoric.

No. Nobody regardless of position should be forced to stand or kneel or whatever. I have no desire to meet Mrs Windsor or her dodgy relatives, but I certainly wouldn't bow or kneel or call her by some pathetic title. "

I would.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The Amercian footballers who kneel, protesting about inequality and exclusion...

Are these the same footballers who earn millions, and lead a privileged life and are accepted as heroes by their fans regardless of race.

Or are they protesting about the deaths and treatment of gun-carrying gang-bangers who kill, maim and intimidate others and police officers?

Something doesn't add up IMO.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Amercian footballers who kneel, protesting about inequality and exclusion...

Are these the same footballers who earn millions, and lead a privileged life and are accepted as heroes by their fans regardless of race.

Or are they protesting about the deaths and treatment of gun-carrying gang-bangers who kill, maim and intimidate others and police officers?

Something doesn't add up IMO."

Why not give your opinion on the topic they're actually protesting against rather than ones they are not?

Diversionary tactics are often used by those unable to argue with the topic in hand.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Amercian footballers who kneel, protesting about inequality and exclusion. Are these the same footballers who earn millions, and lead a privileged life and are accepted as heroes by their fans regardless of race."

Right, because rich black men shouldn't be allowed to use the platform afforded them by their privilege as a means to protest on behalf of other PoC, and because having millions of dollars in the bank means that you no longer give a damn about inequality or exclusion...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Amercian footballers who kneel, protesting about inequality and exclusion...

Something doesn't add up IMO."

what is the income level at which you believe people are no longer entitled to protest about issues concerning inequality exactly?

Reply privately

By *igblackdomTV/TS
over a year ago

West Midlands

I'm guessing you're not a devotee of the BMFC?

Reply privately

By *igblackdomTV/TS
over a year ago

West Midlands

"He is draining the Washington elite swamp."

..and unfortunately replenishing it with the turds from the billionaires cesspit

Reply privately

By *ames1763Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen

There is a fundamental right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest when you realize that Nepotism and unfair conditions exist , the guys have a right to kneel peacefully if they wish to, the constitution guarantees this right. An attempt to condemn them is a violation of the constitution of the land.

There is a fundamental problem of the understanding of Melanin , what is it and why is it so powerful, so much so that it comes out on top in every blood mixture , science has failed to educate and address this percieved subconscious problem even though this is the number1 problem subconsciously in everyone's mind. Also science has also failed to address albanism and why there is an inability to produce the melanin in some instances, what causes this inability and why does it exist, also science has not explained why are there so many different languages, how can this be . When all this problems are solved then all issues will resolve itself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is a fundamental right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest when you realize that Nepotism and unfair conditions exist , the guys have a right to kneel peacefully if they wish to, the constitution guarantees this right. An attempt to condemn them is a violation of the constitution of the land.

There is a fundamental problem of the understanding of Melanin , what is it and why is it so powerful, so much so that it comes out on top in every blood mixture , science has failed to educate and address this percieved subconscious problem even though this is the number1 problem subconsciously in everyone's mind. Also science has also failed to address albanism and why there is an inability to produce the melanin in some instances, what causes this inability and why does it exist, also science has not explained why are there so many different languages, how can this be . When all this problems are solved then all issues will resolve itself."

It's kind of obvious why there are so many different languages. You need basic history for that, not science.

As for the skin colour point, that's only one facet of racism.

Having seen more of these protests, I completely support them. Good for them

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or they should take do what they believe is right and give the message to the people who support them that they are strong and committed to their values and beliefs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ok. Here's what I think.

I think that the first amendment, and free speech more specifically, has been misrepresented in society for too long. People forget that the first amendment only applies to how the US government treats you (it didn't even apply to the individual states until the passing of the 14th amendment following the civil war, but that's a whole different issue). It does not require that private organizations give you a platform on which you can speak.

Can the NFL fire players for kneeling? Sure. They don't have a legal obligation to respect "free speech" in the same way that the government has to respect it. Should they, though? I would say not. Sports in America has a history of political participation. I think it would be frankly unamerican if the NFL took such action. But they could if they wanted to.

However, I think that this same reasoning needs to apply to other speech platforms, such as Universities. Conservative can't w_ine about talks being cancelled at places like UC Berkeley but then demand the firing of citizens expressing their speech on the football field. "

I agree and disagree.

I'm all for free speech, I think they have a right to do what they want but I also think trump has a right as an individual to say fire them!.

I don't think he should or can use the government to enforce his wishes, the problem lies with his influence as an individual while being president.

Should conservatives suck it up, coz they should... But then the left have got to give up this stupid notion of banning people from universities as well, for one it makes them look like morons but on the bigger stage they just don't grasp what happens you start banning shit you personally don't like

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is a fundamental right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest when you realize that Nepotism and unfair conditions exist , the guys have a right to kneel peacefully if they wish to, the constitution guarantees this right. An attempt to condemn them is a violation of the constitution of the land.

There is a fundamental problem of the understanding of Melanin , what is it and why is it so powerful, so much so that it comes out on top in every blood mixture , science has failed to educate and address this percieved subconscious problem even though this is the number1 problem subconsciously in everyone's mind. Also science has also failed to address albanism and why there is an inability to produce the melanin in some instances, what causes this inability and why does it exist, also science has not explained why are there so many different languages, how can this be . When all this problems are solved then all issues will resolve itself."

Not really, it's called vitamin d

Reply privately

over a year ago

Vitamin D?

That's quite abstract

Are you saying we all need to get a tan?

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

However, I think that this same reasoning needs to apply to other speech platforms, such as Universities. Conservative can't w_ine about talks being cancelled at places like UC Berkeley but then demand the firing of citizens expressing their speech on the football field. .

I agree and disagree.

I'm all for free speech, I think they have a right to do what they want but I also think trump has a right as an individual to say fire them!.

I don't think he should or can use the government to enforce his wishes, the problem lies with his influence as an individual while being president.

Should conservatives suck it up, coz they should... But then the left have got to give up this stupid notion of banning people from universities as well, for one it makes them look like morons but on the bigger stage they just don't grasp what happens you start banning shit you personally don't like "

Are they even comparable?

One is just a bunch of students, although the OU debates have had some pretty interesting characers.

Maybe, in the US, University speakers are less debateable? I suppose you have to have criteria for asking guests to speak - for example, I was recently invited to view a video of some Shapro feller talking ostensibly at an American university about gender - the guy had a flimsy grasp on the biology of the subject, to say the least (I'd expect any a-level biologist to be able to refute his assertions with no real problem), so maybe, given that universities are places of learning and there can't be speeches all the time, some selection based on the intellectual merit of the speaker might be worthwhile?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Excuse my language but "Fuck Trump & his hypocritical shit"

He refers to NFL players who refuse to stand as 'Sons of B_' who should be fired.

And refers to Nazi racists who killed a woman in Charlottesvile as 'there where good people on both sides'

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

If only I'd looked up the thread for a "lack of biology" post to illustrate my point.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Excuse my language but "Fuck Trump & his hypocritical shit"

He refers to NFL players who refuse to stand as 'Sons of B_' who should be fired.

And refers to Nazi racists who killed a woman in Charlottesvile as 'there where good people on both sides'"

He does seem much more ready to condemn black sports players than neo-Nazis. Hmmmmmm......

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Vitamin D?

That's quite abstract

Are you saying we all need to get a tan?"

No that's why we evolved different skin colours.

White skin absorbs high rates of vitamin d from less active ultra violet levels something needed in cloudier areas, it's why black people suffer from rickets and alike when moving to cloudier climes

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Excuse my language but "Fuck Trump & his hypocritical shit"

And refers to Nazi racists who killed a woman in Charlottesvile as 'there where good people on both sides'

He does seem much more ready to condemn black sports players than neo-Nazis. Hmmmmmm......"

Another great point cheers Jimi

Reply privately

over a year ago

However, I think that this same reasoning needs to apply to other speech platforms, such as Universities. Conservative can't w_ine about talks being cancelled at places like UC Berkeley but then demand the firing of citizens expressing their speech on the football field. .

I agree and disagree.

Should conservatives suck it up, coz they should... But then the left have got to give up this stupid notion of banning people from universities as well, for one it makes them look like morons but on the bigger stage they just don't grasp what happens you start banning shit you personally don't like

One is just a bunch of students, although the OU debates have had some pretty interesting characers.

Maybe, in the US, University speakers are less debateable? I suppose you have to have criteria for asking guests to speak - for example, I was recently invited to view a video of some Shapro feller talking ostensibly at an American university about gender - the guy had a flimsy grasp on the biology of the subject, to say the least (I'd expect any a-level biologist to be able to refute his assertions with no real problem), so maybe, given that universities are places of learning and there can't be speeches all the time, some selection based on the intellectual merit of the speaker might be worthwhile?"

This could be true but then you do get stuff like here in the UK where a uni just stopped somebody from researching about people who regret transgender operations and want to swap back because it's not lefty pc allowed

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I agree and disagree.

Maybe, in the US, University speakers are less debateable? I suppose you have to have criteria for asking guests to speak - for example, I was recently invited to view a video of some Shapro feller talking ostensibly at an American university about gender - the guy had a flimsy grasp on the biology of the subject, to say the least (I'd expect any a-level biologist to be able to refute his assertions with no real problem), so maybe, given that universities are places of learning and there can't be speeches all the time, some selection based on the intellectual merit of the speaker might be worthwhile?.

This could be true but then you do get stuff like here in the UK where a uni just stopped somebody from researching about people who regret transgender operations and want to swap back because it's not lefty pc allowed "

What was the actual reason? Did they stop them or did NERC simply not fund it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree and disagree.

Maybe, in the US, University speakers are less debateable? I suppose you have to have criteria for asking guests to speak - for example, I was recently invited to view a video of some Shapro feller talking ostensibly at an American university about gender - the guy had a flimsy grasp on the biology of the subject, to say the least (I'd expect any a-level biologist to be able to refute his assertions with no real problem), so maybe, given that universities are places of learning and there can't be speeches all the time, some selection based on the intellectual merit of the speaker might be worthwhile?.

This could be true but then you do get stuff like here in the UK where a uni just stopped somebody from researching about people who regret transgender operations and want to swap back because it's not lefty pc allowed

What was the actual reason? Did they stop them or did NERC simply not fund it?"

A therapist says he is "astonished" by a university's decision to stop him studying people who decide to reverse gender reassignment operations.

James Caspian wanted to write a thesis on "detransition" as part of his master's degree in counselling and psychotherapy at Bath Spa University.

He said it was rejected by the university's ethics committee because it could be "politically incorrect".

The university said it couldn't comment until after an internal investigation.

Mr Caspian, a counsellor who specialises in therapy for transgender people, told Radio 4: "I was astonished at that decision.

"I think that a university exists to encourage discussion, research - dissent even, challenging perhaps ideas that are out of date or not particularly useful."

He says he wanted to study people who had swapped gender and then changed their minds after coming across evidence of a growing number of people who regretted having the surgery and finding no research had been done into the subject.....

BBC website today

Reply privately

over a year ago

Like I said, the left need to stop this nonsense, it's making them look like snowflake morons

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I agree and disagree.

What was the actual reason? Did they stop them or did NERC simply not fund it?.

A therapist says he is "astonished" by a university's decision to stop him studying people who decide to reverse gender reassignment operations.

James Caspian wanted to write a thesis on "detransition" as part of his master's degree in counselling and psychotherapy at Bath Spa University.

He said it was rejected by the university's ethics committee because it could be "politically incorrect".

Mr Caspian, a counsellor who specialises in therapy for transgender people, told Radio 4: "I was astonished at that decision.

"I think that a university exists to encourage discussion, research - dissent even, challenging perhaps ideas that are out of date or not particularly useful."

He says he wanted to study people who had swapped gender and then changed their minds after coming across evidence of a growing number of people who regretted having the surgery and finding no research had been done into the subject.....

BBC website today"

So basically we have no idea why.

Also; its only for an MSc (MA?) it's not like it's research that's likley to make it into publication, I'd be more annoyed if it was postdoc work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Err...Sick-Boy...

If you want to start a discussion about that, start a new thread...

This is a thread about the exercise of Freedom of Speech according to AMERICAN LAW and the US CONSTITUTION.

Last I checked, Bath Spa University's Academic Ethics Committee was subject to NEITHER.

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Err...Sick-Boy...

This is a thread about the exercise of Freedom of Speech according to AMERICAN LAW and the US CONSTITUTION.

Last I checked, Bath Spa University's Academic Ethics Committee was subject to NEITHER."

Debates diverge, you know.

Block capitals for emplasis, eh?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree and disagree.

What was the actual reason? Did they stop them or did NERC simply not fund it?.

BBC website today"

Detransexual. Is this an option on Fab yet? (Asking for a friend )

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Err...Sick-Boy...

Last I checked, Bath Spa University's Academic Ethics Committee was subject to NEITHER."

Oh lord give me strength .

Errr it's called a conversation where somebody asks me something and I reply and he replies and it evolves...

I beg forgiveness from your excellency and wish you God speed

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Can the NFL fire players for kneeling? Sure.

Trump has a right as an individual to say fire them!"

Actually, Marc.Courtney and Sick-Boy, both of these statements are wrong...

The NFL CANNOT fire players for kneeling, and the Trump's 'fire them' shout came during a speech wherein he was speaking in his capacity as POTUS, not as a private individual.

I say again, the SCOTUS ruled in 1943 that "NO OFFICIAL, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion."

This ruling was made with respect to Jehovah's Witnesses' refusal to participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Just as School Districts cannot force JWs to participate in the Pledge, the NFL CANNOT fire players who #takeaknee, and Trump CANNOT, in his capacity as POTUS, induce them to do so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately