Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ageism, is it a thing?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I used to lie about my age on here, take off ten years as I'm in good shape and relatively unravaged by the buffeting and bruising of times relentless march. It didn't work but it kept me within the majority of limits chosen by the majority of fabbers.

Of course I'm guilty of some ageism and set my upper limit as 65, sometimes more. It used to be 50, which is less than my real age, but I went to a social in Hull and was ridiculed, rightly, by a couple of women who said "Well that rules us out!". I changed my limits and strive to be less ageist. Some young people are a pain in the arse though! Youth ageism, an youth has wonderful vitality and un-jaded eyes.

It's claimed men get better looking with age and women strive to look younger as they age, because, I think, society dictates through the media that the ideal woman is lithe, flawless and less than thirty. I believe this is hideous non-sense and that growing old is a great thing in both sexes. As we protect our skin from the sun by wearing clothes our faces age quicker than our bodies and there are women well into their sixties with beautiful, soft skin and lithe, young bodies. Of course body shape is another thorny issue, but one prejudice at a time.

I saw a post from a 26 year old TV who set her range between 20 and 40, and I thought, she's missing out on so much!

Then the cougars set their limits on age the same, and often less, no doubt with great success. I think it's a positive reversal of a male imposed convention, women taking power into their own hands. I find time and again that this site gives women control, going back to a pre- christian/ religious time when women were the bringers of life and men, merely the sower of seeds, were revered and worshipped, and we weren't dragged down by the yoke of monogamy, but I digress.

Anyway, here are my Sunday morning muses for this week!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Well, haven't you answered your own question? You've set your age limit 7 years over your own age. What's wrong with other people doing exactly the same thing?

Also, people are here to fulfill their own personal fantasy, whatever that might be, not do what other people think they should do.

Just have fun with people who want to meet you.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Their choice mate...I don't in reality think I could fancy anyone with a 25 year age gap in any direction.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Ageism is a thing in life outside of choice when it comes to who you have sex with. However I don't believe having limits on the age of who you'll have sex with is ageist or means you're missing out in any meaningful sense.

I'm almost 61, I'm not deluded enough to believe that young men are missing out by not wanting to have sex with me or that I'm being ageist by not wanting to have sex with them. I'm pretty sure that lots of men of my age would choose a younger woman than me (all else being equal) if they had that choice to make.

over a year ago

We like potential playmates to be closer to our age than either our children's or parents, partly as you are more likely to have more in common. We did used to have a slightly older upper age limit but lowered it due to the amount of people lying about their age...

Ginger

over a year ago

"Ageism is a thing in life outside of choice when it comes to who you have sex with. However I don't believe having limits on the age of who you'll have sex with is ageist or means you're missing out in any meaningful sense.

I'm almost 61, I'm not deluded enough to believe that young men are missing out by not wanting to have sex with me or that I'm being ageist by not wanting to have sex with them. I'm pretty sure that lots of men of my age would choose a younger woman than me (all else being equal) if they had that choice to make.

"

Don't sell yourself short

over a year ago

Its like everything personal preference, you may miss out on someone you like by filtering but you need a boundary too

over a year ago

Age and time is a man made concept. And that's where the irrationality of searching for someone of a certain age begins. (Just my opinion)

I'm attracted to a certain woman, she's got beautiful eyes, and lips i long to kiss. A figure that begs my hands to explore her, but wait...I need to ask if she's under 55yrs if she, if she's 56 I'm not touching her!!!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ageism is a thing in life outside of choice when it comes to who you have sex with. However I don't believe having limits on the age of who you'll have sex with is ageist or means you're missing out in any meaningful sense.

Don't sell yourself short "

you're very kind.

over a year ago

Don't sell yourself short

you're very kind.

"

Sushh don't tell em that here

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Age and time is a man made concept. And that's where the irrationality of searching for someone of a certain age begins. (Just my opinion)

I'm attracted to a certain woman, she's got beautiful eyes, and lips i long to kiss. A figure that begs my hands to explore her, but wait...I need to ask if she's under 55yrs if she, if she's 56 I'm not touching her!!! "

Interesting!

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

There is someone on here for everyone ,I prefer close to my age ,give or take a few years either way.

It used to really annoy me on my old single profile,when people changed their age to get passed filters etc.

Miss

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

What's age ? Its a bloody number thats all . I like meeting some nice people on here . age shouldnt matter. It doesn't bother me

I never lie about mine if you don't like it move on .I don't give a flying fig

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"What's age ? Its a bloody number thats all . I like meeting some nice people on here . age shouldnt matter. It doesn't bother me

I never lie about mine if you don't like it move on .I don't give a flying fig "

Age does matter to me. While I'm happy to meet and enjoy the company of any age group I don't want to have sex with a 90 year old. Almost everyone has a limit on the upper age they'll have sex with.

over a year ago

We prefer people near our own ages. It would be wrong for us to go below our lower age limits as that's getting close to our children's ages. And we really don't want to be having sex with anyone too old x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What you describe is not ageism.

Ageism is ruling someone out purely on age.

We have to work on something and so tend to consider the generalities of each age group.

I suspect, that like me, people have strayed below their lower and upper limits when they meet a person with the attributes they like. Ergo they are not ageist...... the filters are an aid not a law.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

There's ageism in society but people choose who they shag with based on whatever has stimulated their preferences.

Just stick with those who want your personality and age, as interesting as preferences are. Use energy wisely

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Yes

over a year ago

I am 53, I have found men older than me are more problematic, clingy and demanding than younger men. I prefer fking younger men, if they want to then why not. The youngest was 30. The oldest was 61 and it was my worst meet ever. X

over a year ago

My age range is a guide. If it was a rule I'd apply filters too.

For me, alluding to an age range is more about shared life experience than anything else. Anyone 15 years either side of me will understand cultural references I make. Anyone beyond that may well find me too old or too young for exactly the same reason. Doesn't mean I won't chat to them.

over a year ago

Great topic to post about...

I think people just have preferences on what kind of person they want sex with... and age is a factor

Unfortunately there are loads of beautiful women who don't like young guys

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Very interesting replies. Thanks to everyone!

Similar age doesn't guarantee similar interests but it's a useful yardstick. Attraction doesn't know age but my eyes are drawn to a beautiful woman and they seem largely to be younger than me. I guess I feel excluded from certain people because my age doesn't fit, but as was said it's a personal choice, not a law.

I think I'll discard age limitations and hope that, as was said, there is someone for everyone, regardless of age.

Post new Message to Thread