Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Commitment

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why is it so scary for some?

(Wyrdwoman, look a short opening post by me!! )

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Why is it so scary for some?

(Wyrdwoman, look a short opening post by me!! )"

Maybe because they have committed and been let down. Maybe

over a year ago

Dating sites you May find more looking for Commitment. Here most are looking to play and have fun and move to the next .

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

because you lose a certain amount of freedom.

over a year ago

Maybe because they have committed and been let down. Maybe"

True

over a year ago

For me, it seems like too much of an effort at the minute, and I'm yet to find anyone I want to commit to.

over a year ago

Because it means changing your whole life and adjusting to a new way of thinking. We are primarily single minded creatures of habit.

Some people fear the cons more than embrace the fulfillment of the pros.

over a year ago

"Dating sites you May find more looking for Commitment. Here most are looking to play and have fun and move to the next ."

Gosh, I didn't specify on this site! Certainly didn't mean here specifically, that'd be a daft expectation!

over a year ago

When you lay everything on the line for someone you love and they take advantage in every sense, leaving you crushed and not feeling good enough for anyone...why would you want to put yourself on the line again? It's easier to go from dalliance to dalliance in a seemingly cold fashion than it is to let someone else in again.

over a year ago

"because you lose a certain amount of freedom."

Yes, but many I know who are afraid of it, actually *want* it and the fear is not that they want the free rein so much, which I find fascinating. It's a perverse situation!

over a year ago

"For me, it seems like too much of an effort at the minute, and I'm yet to find anyone I want to commit to. "

I can relate to this!

over a year ago

"Because it means changing your whole life and adjusting to a new way of thinking. We are primarily single minded creatures of habit.

Some people fear the cons more than embrace the fulfillment of the pros.

"

Yes, it is an effort to modify the way you live your life, certainly.

over a year ago

"When you lay everything on the line for someone you love and they take advantage in every sense, leaving you crushed and not feeling good enough for anyone...why would you want to put yourself on the line again? It's easier to go from dalliance to dalliance in a seemingly cold fashion than it is to let someone else in again."

I understand the heartbreak and fear of getting hurt again.

over a year ago

"Dating sites you May find more looking for Commitment. Here most are looking to play and have fun and move to the next .

Gosh, I didn't specify on this site! Certainly didn't mean here specifically, that'd be a daft expectation! "

Its a candy shop here... Its like Pick And mix .. A lot come here from having had Commitment and run wild here and run from Commitment as been hurt or just need to live and do new things.

over a year ago

Fear is sometimes irrational. If they're scared of commitment, that's how it is. Only they know.

By *nSeeNMan
over a year ago

Z'ha'dum

In what respect ? relationship wise?

I'm not scared of it, I just don't see the need for it I'm happy with my life the way it is.

over a year ago

"For me, it seems like too much of an effort at the minute, and I'm yet to find anyone I want to commit to.

I can relate to this! "

To quote Clueless - or misquote - you've seen how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet.

over a year ago

"Fear is sometimes irrational. If they're scared of commitment, that's how it is. Only they know. "

True.

Are you scared of it?

over a year ago

"Fear is sometimes irrational. If they're scared of commitment, that's how it is. Only they know.

True.

Are you scared of it?"

I'm tough. I'm not scared of anything.

over a year ago

"In what respect ? relationship wise?

I'm not scared of it, I just don't see the need for it I'm happy with my life the way it is.

"

That's interesting. Do you think you're missing anything at all from not having any commitment in a relationship? (Yes, relationship wise)

over a year ago

"For me, it seems like too much of an effort at the minute, and I'm yet to find anyone I want to commit to.

I can relate to this!

To quote Clueless - or misquote - you've seen how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet. "

Hahahahah

over a year ago

Commitment is only scary when the implications exceed a certain time period and I don't particularly want to let anyone down.

But yes, they are scary.

Life is something that happens when you're making other plans; I'm happy to commit as long as I'm not made to promise anything too quickly; life is organic and relationships should remain so.

over a year ago

"Fear is sometimes irrational. If they're scared of commitment, that's how it is. Only they know.

True.

Are you scared of it?"

Nope

over a year ago

True.

Are you scared of it?

I'm tough. I'm not scared of anything. "

I see.

over a year ago

"because you lose a certain amount of freedom.

Yes, but many I know who are afraid of it, actually *want* it and the fear is not that they want the free rein so much, which I find fascinating. It's a perverse situation! "

That's kind of my situation. I'd love to be in a committed relationship but terrified of giving up my single life

over a year ago

True.

Are you scared of it?

Nope"

Are you answering for Mister Bee?

over a year ago

"Commitment is only scary when the implications exceed a certain time period and I don't particularly want to let anyone down.

But yes, they are scary.

Life is something that happens when you're making other plans; I'm happy to commit as long as I'm not made to promise anything too quickly; life is organic and relationships should remain so."

I posted this thread to see if I could get you to answer. I was particularly interested to see if you would and what you would say.

over a year ago

Yes, but many I know who are afraid of it, actually *want* it and the fear is not that they want the free rein so much, which I find fascinating. It's a perverse situation!

That's kind of my situation. I'd love to be in a committed relationship but terrified of giving up my single life"

What would you specifically be losing?

over a year ago

"Commitment is only scary when the implications exceed a certain time period and I don't particularly want to let anyone down.

But yes, they are scary.

Life is something that happens when you're making other plans; I'm happy to commit as long as I'm not made to promise anything too quickly; life is organic and relationships should remain so.

I posted this thread to see if I could get you to answer. I was particularly interested to see if you would and what you would say. "

I know.

*smug-face emote*

over a year ago

But yes, they are scary.

I posted this thread to see if I could get you to answer. I was particularly interested to see if you would and what you would say.

I know.

*smug-face emote*"

over a year ago

Lib. Such a dick.

over a year ago

*smug-face emote again*

over a year ago

"*smug-face emote again*"

*shakes fist in pent-up buggery frustration*

over a year ago

That's kind of my situation. I'd love to be in a committed relationship but terrified of giving up my single life

What would you specifically be losing? "

Being able to only consider my own feelings, doing pretty much what I want

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Ye gods!

Funnily enough, this post is quite apt for me. For years, from early teenagerdom onwards, I was desperate for a relationship. I would go out with men totally unsuitable for me just so I could have a boyfriend. I did have a few good uns - my daughters father is a good guy, and we get on fine, but some of the others were horrors. In the end I think the very idea of commitment terrifies me. I feel like my life as I have it is going to be taken away again. I'll be dictated to, like I was before, and the insecurity I had in these relationships will raise its ugly head.

I had a brief relationship a few years ago and he went too fast. Told me he loved me etc etc. I was like a deer in headlights. I just didn't know what to do. I laughed it off, but he was very insulted that I couldn't love him back, and we split up.

My ex FWB told me (as he was throwing me out of his house) that I loved no-one but myself and my daughter. After some of the behaviour I have lived through, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

over a year ago

Being able to only consider my own feelings, doing pretty much what I want"

Yes, I find it hard to cope with finding space for the other person -- either failing to keep space

for my needs and giving them all or I suck up all the space. Can't find the right balance.

over a year ago

Truth

I was committed to someone for a long time. Loved him trusted him thought he was the one

Years down the line. Family bereavements 2 miscarriages and me being ill, we fell out of love. We was more like friends in the past 4 years.

It broke me and made me not want to commit or love again until i saw i was being a fool

One day i will settle, trust and commit but not just yet x

By *arksMan
over a year ago

in the centre

"When you lay everything on the line for someone you love and they take advantage in every sense, leaving you crushed and not feeling good enough for anyone...why would you want to put yourself on the line again? It's easier to go from dalliance to dalliance in a seemingly cold fashion than it is to let someone else in again."

over a year ago

Ye gods!

Funnily enough, this post is quite apt for me. For years, from early teenagerdom onwards, I was desperate for a relationship. I would go out with men totally unsuitable for me just so I could have a boyfriend. I did have a few good uns - my daughters father is a good guy, and we get on fine, but some of the others were horrors. In the end I think the very idea of commitment terrifies me. I feel like my life as I have it is going to be taken away again. I'll be dictated to, like I was before, and the insecurity I had in these relationships will raise its ugly head.

I had a brief relationship a few years ago and he went too fast. Told me he loved me etc etc. I was like a deer in headlights. I just didn't know what to do. I laughed it off, but he was very insulted that I couldn't love him back, and we split up.

My ex FWB told me (as he was throwing me out of his house) that I loved no-one but myself and my daughter. After some of the behaviour I have lived through, I'm not sure that's a bad thing."

Thank you, yes -- that makes sense and no, not a bad thing at all.

over a year ago

Truth

I was committed to someone for a long time. Loved him trusted him thought he was the one

Years down the line. Family bereavements 2 miscarriages and me being ill, we fell out of love. We was more like friends in the past 4 years.

It broke me and made me not want to commit or love again until i saw i was being a fool

One day i will settle, trust and commit but not just yet x"

over a year ago

Yes, I find it hard to cope with finding space for the other person -- either failing to keep space

for my needs and giving them all or I suck up all the space. Can't find the right balance."

I just fail at keeping the space for my own needs. I neglect myself when I'm in a relationship, I give the other person my whole self and leave nothing for me.

I believe I'm a better version of myself when I'm single... even though I'd love things to be different

over a year ago

for my needs and giving them all or I suck up all the space. Can't find the right balance.

I just fail at keeping the space for my own needs. I neglect myself when I'm in a relationship, I give the other person my whole self and leave nothing for me.

I believe I'm a better version of myself when I'm single... even though I'd love things to be different "

Actually this makes a lot of sense. Sigh.

over a year ago

Interesting topic. I think for some people who have been single for a long time, it can feel like they're "giving that up" in order to let someone in. Other people have been hurt so much they feel emotionally "safer" remaining single (that was certainly me for a good while). I think it's partly mindset, and partly luck meeting the "right" sort of person for the time of life you're in. If you're wanting the same things from life then it's less of a lifestyle change.

over a year ago

"Interesting topic. I think for some people who have been single for a long time, it can feel like they're "giving that up" in order to let someone in. Other people have been hurt so much they feel emotionally "safer" remaining single (that was certainly me for a good while). I think it's partly mindset, and partly luck meeting the "right" sort of person for the time of life you're in. If you're wanting the same things from life then it's less of a lifestyle change."

Nicely put

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

You can be with someone and commit so much to making them happy, being the person they want, that somewhere along the way you lose yourself. I hate the feeling, that I have put myself on hold for someone who doesn't want me the way I deserve. I want to grow, I want to learn, I have goals. Hell I want more babies.

I need someone who will commit to that journey with me, not make me feel inadequate or like I have to stop, pause or put my dreams on the back burner for them to continue doing as they want.

I want someone who will hold my hand when it gets tough, when I say I can't do it, when I need support.

So...I guess finding someone who will commit to that is scary and I fear that they aren't out there at all.

over a year ago

I think some people are always looking for the next best thing. Online dating means that ultimately, we can be deleted/unmatched/blocked. It seems people are looking for the perfect relationship and until they find it, they won't commit.

over a year ago

"You can be with someone and commit so much to making them happy, being the person they want, that somewhere along the way you lose yourself. I hate the feeling, that I have put myself on hold for someone who doesn't want me the way I deserve. I want to grow, I want to learn, I have goals. Hell I want more babies.

I need someone who will commit to that journey with me, not make me feel inadequate or like I have to stop, pause or put my dreams on the back burner for them to continue doing as they want.

I want someone who will hold my hand when it gets tough, when I say I can't do it, when I need support.

So...I guess finding someone who will commit to that is scary and I fear that they aren't out there at all.

"

They are out there. I have girlfriends who have felt like this and sooner or later, they've met their perfect partner.

Don't lose hope, lovely! X

over a year ago

"You can be with someone and commit so much to making them happy, being the person they want, that somewhere along the way you lose yourself. I hate the feeling, that I have put myself on hold for someone who doesn't want me the way I deserve. I want to grow, I want to learn, I have goals. Hell I want more babies.

"

Come live with me in my lonely spinster commune

over a year ago

"I think some people are always looking for the next best thing. Online dating means that ultimately, we can be deleted/unmatched/blocked. It seems people are looking for the perfect relationship and until they find it, they won't commit. "

*block*

over a year ago

"

I totally agree, but the power is in your hands. All relationships require compromise, but someone who holds you back needs to be shown the door!

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

Come live with me in my lonely spinster commune "

We can be the girls who watch the boys go by.....right on past us into the arms of someone else.

over a year ago

over a year ago

all the big people in my life have let me down - parents massively - the ex let me and the kids down - then i lost a partner to cancer - so now its good friends or really good friends only now - i have one close male friend and a small number of close girlfriends - the pain just too much to take and would have to be an amazing person to commit to anything - well this is how i feel most of the time

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

I totally agree, but the power is in your hands. All relationships require compromise, but someone who holds you back needs to be shown the door!"

It is. Sometimes you just need that push. To be shown you are worth so much more though.

over a year ago

When I was younger I got told I was scared of commitment and as I get older the more it appears to ring true

over a year ago

Because your afraid that they could die just lying beside you in bed

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

"Because your afraid that they could die just lying beside you in bed "

over a year ago

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

""

Get to fuck Lib

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

"

Get to fuck Lib"

P.s can I sit on your face?

over a year ago

""

Hahahahahaha

over a year ago

""

Someone had to do it.

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it. "

Smug git.

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git."

Nothing lasts forever though. Why commit with that knowledge? How did it go with your last fairytale?

Enjoy what you have while you have it. You can hope it lasts forever but the statistics are heavily against you. :S

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Nothing lasts forever though. Why commit with that knowledge? How did it go with your last fairytale?

Enjoy what you have while you have it. You can hope it lasts forever but the statistics are heavily against you. :S"

I don't think any relationship is a fairytale though is it? It's two people who love each other, working together to create a fulfilling life.

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Enjoy what you have while you have it. You can hope it lasts forever but the statistics are heavily against you. :S"

Never said I disagreed.

I'd attempt to commit to a quick fumble with you, and keep it orgasmic (or was that organic?)

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Shut up, Lib

over a year ago

My commitment to a relationship almost killed me.

I'd do it again if the man who deserves me came along.

Nothing beats me.

over a year ago

"My commitment to a relationship almost killed me.

Nothing beats me.

"

But we can all beat Lib off, yeah?!

over a year ago

Nothing beats me.

"

The only constant you have in life is yourself. Never lose site of that.

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Enjoy what you have while you have it. You can hope it lasts forever but the statistics are heavily against you. :S

Shut up, Lib"

No, you.

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

I don't think any relationship is a fairytale though is it? It's two people who love each other, working together to create a fulfilling life."

Yes, ideally. Does that make it a fairytale?

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Pointless bothering in the first place

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

Pointless bothering in the first place"

Never regret something that made you smile.

over a year ago

I'll stop shitting out rubbish cliches in a minute.

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

"I'll stop shitting out rubbish cliches in a minute."

You can't polish a turd

over a year ago

Stop

Ignoring

My

Advances

Lib

over a year ago

I find it scary because most people have taken advantage of me and they're not prepared to be magnanimous, so it becomes a battle of wills and then someone gets owned and both people loose their freedom = my idea of a co-dependent living hell lol

By *ancastermanMan
over a year ago

carnforth

I'm scared I'll let the other person down and hurt them.

over a year ago

Nothing beats me.

The only constant you have in life is yourself. Never lose site of that."

The only constant you can count on in life is change... I can't count on myself remaining exactly as I was because I mutate and change year in year out... Can you say you're exactly the same since day one?

over a year ago

Nothing beats me.

The only constant you can count on in life is change... I can't count on myself remaining exactly as I was because I mutate and change year in year out... Can you say you're exactly the same since day one?"

Irrelevant, I'm still me.

over a year ago

Lib...

By *DontExistWoman
over a year ago

•+• Silicon valley. •+•

i'd just be worried about investing myself into a douchebag. done it a few times in my life already and begrudge them my time.

got 4 kids, had many pets, and never regretted committing to them. i have a good sense of responsibility and so for that reason i don't mind commitment.

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"Because your afraid that they could die just lying beside you in bed "

That's rough big hugs.

over a year ago

Nothing beats me.

The only constant you can count on in life is change... I can't count on myself remaining exactly as I was because I mutate and change year in year out... Can you say you're exactly the same since day one?

Irrelevant, I'm still me."

Change isn't irrelevant when you're in a relationship though is it because people change... S'One of the reasons so many people divorce so I can't see it being irrelevant in that case

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Commitment can be a life changing thing.. Sometimes for good and otherwise not so.

So I guess it depends on what or whom your commiting too.

Hence the apprehension of people doing it

over a year ago

"

Someone had to do it.

Smug git.

I don't think any relationship is a fairytale though is it? It's two people who love each other, working together to create a fulfilling life.

Yes, ideally. Does that make it a fairytale?"

Not by my understanding of the term fairytale, no. I for one am very glad recent Disney type films have dropped the "happily ever after. The end" bullshit that I myself grew up with. And the whole "damsel in distress needs knight in shining armour to save her".... *shudder*. I have a son and a daughter, and I've made damn sure they've seen a relationship *can* enhance your life, but ultimately your happiness and self esteem is down to yourself.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Scared of who they are revealing themselves to, the responsibilities for another's life etc and what they perceive themselves to lose if there committed, amongst many other things.

Prior experiences will be a huge thing.

Post new Message to Thread