Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

12c and 90% humidity.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have always wondered how come when the temperature is low the humidity is over 90%? Then when the temperature is high about 25c the humidity is low about 40%?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's basic science!.

humidity will drop as temperature increases (unless moisture is added) and rise as temperature falls as air holds more moisture when it's heated.

Weather wise for us temperature increases through high pressure which means were unlikely to add moisture via rain, where as we loose temperature through low pressure which means were adding moisture via rain.

Relative humidity what your measuring is how much water the atmosphere can hold at that temperature of 12 degrees ie 90% but heat it to say 22 degrees and it can hold much more so your humidity will fall to 45% (roughly half for every ten degree rise) if I remember correctly

over a year ago

"It's basic science!.

humidity will drop as temperature increases (unless moisture is added) and rise as temperature falls as air holds more moisture when it's heated.

Weather wise for us temperature increases through high pressure which means were unlikely to add moisture via rain, where as we loose temperature through low pressure which means were adding moisture via rain.

Relative humidity what your measuring is how much water the atmosphere can hold at that temperature of 12 degrees ie 90% but heat it to say 22 degrees and it can hold much more so your humidity will fall to 45% (roughly half for every ten degree rise) if I remember correctly "

Ty and yes, that makes it clear too of how it works, it is interesting as its close to what a rain forest of 100% humidity is.

over a year ago

Sorry to interrupt your science class, I am on wrong class room, I thought it is sex education class.

over a year ago

That's an interesting observation.

If you look at lots of reservoirs you'll notice often there lined by trees, trees help cool the air and therefore help to make it rain as the moisture in the atmosphere can't be held by it as it cools.

Rain forests practically recycle the moisture as there equatorial heat evaporates it quickly, rises, reaches cooler air at high latitudes can't hold the moisture and rains.

over a year ago

"Sorry to interrupt your science class, I am on wrong class room, I thought it is sex education class. "

Just along the corridor.

7b

You can't miss it.... And good luck

over a year ago

There's some places around the world with interesting micro climates like San Diego in the USA.

Rarely gets above 80 degrees despite being further south than LA and gets fed desert air from behind it which is very low moisture content, apparently if you visit it at certain times of the year you need to take moisturiser with you for your hands and face as it can suck the fuck out of you

over a year ago

"That's an interesting observation.

If you look at lots of reservoirs you'll notice often there lined by trees, trees help cool the air and therefore help to make it rain as the moisture in the atmosphere can't be held by it as it cools.

Rain forests practically recycle the moisture as there equatorial heat evaporates it quickly, rises, reaches cooler air at high latitudes can't hold the moisture and rains.

"

I have noticed that too with the trees near that to cool the air, it is very interesting.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Shag, I hope that this is not a warning post about cold UK weather! I've been in 41 degrees Celsius - not the hottest part of the day this week - and coming to the UK after my months away. Cold?!

over a year ago

"Shag, I hope that this is not a warning post about cold UK weather! I've been in 41 degrees Celsius - not the hottest part of the day this week - and coming to the UK after my months away. Cold?! "

Well cool and high humidity sometimes doesn't feel that different to warm and low humidity due to sweat and evaporation!

Throw in wind chill and nobody guesses what the temperature is.... We just know what's comfortable

over a year ago

"Shag, I hope that this is not a warning post about cold UK weather! I've been in 41 degrees Celsius - not the hottest part of the day this week - and coming to the UK after my months away. Cold?! "
Yes, it is this weather too in the uk, it was few days ago, 41c sounds good, it is colder here.

over a year ago

"Shag, I hope that this is not a warning post about cold UK weather! I've been in 41 degrees Celsius - not the hottest part of the day this week - and coming to the UK after my months away. Cold?! .

Well cool and high humidity sometimes doesn't feel that different to warm and low humidity due to sweat and evaporation!

Throw in wind chill and nobody guesses what the temperature is.... We just know what's comfortable "

That is right to, mix it up abit there.

Post new Message to Thread