Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Stonehenge Tunnel

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Brilliant idea or yet another road building indulgence aimed at relieving traffic congestion down south ?.....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The wrong solution to a real issue, I tend to think.

over a year ago

I think the money could be better spent , but I like the idea of an invisible throughfare

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I thought that had been binned. They were talking about it 10 years ago but was too expensive.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Feck me are you trying to take over with your threads? Too much time on your hands eh

over a year ago

"I thought that had been binned. They were talking about it 10 years ago but was too expensive."

Back on the table apparently

over a year ago

"Feck me are you trying to take over with your threads? Too much time on your hands eh "

You wouldn't understand the challenges of an active mind .....

over a year ago

"Feck me are you trying to take over with your threads? Too much time on your hands eh

You wouldn't understand the challenges of an active mind ..... "

Oh I understand a deviant mind

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I thought that had been binned. They were talking about it 10 years ago but was too expensive.

Back on the table apparently "

If it works, then I'm fine with it, although it seems redundant after changing the road layout anyway. Just the price would be a tad high, in a time where people haven't had a wage rise for years.

By *ackStrakerMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

The reasons for it are less about traffic and preserving the site than most people think. Its another grandiose infrastructure project designed to create a temporary increase in jobs and boost to the economy, which despite what we're being told is dying on its feet. The government has a bunch of these going on HS2, more bypasses etc etc.

Bare in mind at the moment most of our roads and motorways appeared in a 20 to 30 year building binge starting roughly around the time the M1 was built. These roads deteriorate over time, like badly and we already can't afford to maintain the roads we have. Potholes on your road, they'll pale into insignificance when entire motorway sections will have to be closed. The money piled into maintaining these roads is monumental and increasing in cost all the time.

So should we build a tunnel under a bunch of stones, creating a vast maintenance cost for generations to come, ye why not, its not like this country pays its debts any way, we can borrow to infinitely ... and beyond!

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

"

Brilliant idea or yet another road building indulgence aimed at relieving traffic congestion down south ?.....

"

so will it mean that the jams on the A303 will be underground instead of on the surface??

over a year ago

I'm disappinted. I thought they'd discovered a tunnel under Stonehenge the druids had built.

When it comes to roads, the old adage, "If you build it, they will come" has been proven to be true. Roads don't ease congestion, they create it. They should really be pumping money into remote working initiatives. And roads won't be much use when everybody's got flying cars.

Ha, imagine the druids seeing a flying car. Yeah, there's your sky god, you crazy pagans.

over a year ago

So it happening,,,,,,,

1.6 billion for a couple of mile of tunnel and yet the A1 north of Newcastle remains single caraway because it would cost 14 million quid per mile to duel it .........

over a year ago

it'd be cheaper to gas the inhabitants of wiltshire like badgers and nobody would miss them anyway

over a year ago

"it'd be cheaper to gas the inhabitants of wiltshire like badgers and nobody would miss them anyway "

If that's a genuine policy I'm voting for it

over a year ago

1.6 billion.. fucking hell it would be cheaper to dig that pile of rocks up and move it to the Yorkshire Moors

over a year ago

In 5000 thousand years time Hippies will gather to celebrate the entrance to the underworld .......

over a year ago

i wonder if they'll find my last blim that i lost by the war on want cafe in 1984

over a year ago

Why can't people just walk?

over a year ago

It's been dug up and fallen down several times, bombed, moved about and now there set in concrete to stop them falling over anyhow... It's about as original as an EastEnders script

over a year ago

"Why can't people just walk?"

Haha funny... They drive to the gym to walk on the treadmills for an hour.

Were a dysfunctional bunch

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"So it happening,,,,,,,

1.6 billion for a couple of mile of tunnel and yet the A1 north of Newcastle remains single caraway because it would cost 14 million quid per mile to duel it .........

"

To be fair, there's not that much traffic north of Newcastle. A few tractors, that sort of thing.

over a year ago

"So it happening,,,,,,,

To be fair, there's not that much traffic north of Newcastle. A few tractors, that sort of thing. "

to be fair, during the school holidays the A303 is desolate ... £1.6 bil seems a lot just so quentin and portia can be chauffeured to bishopstrow in the morning

over a year ago

"The wrong solution to a real issue, I tend to think. "
this

over a year ago

Why cant they move Stonehenge? Its just a pile of rocks!

over a year ago

People actually stop their cars on that busy road just to take photos.

Blame people, not the problem (or the solution).

over a year ago

They will start digging, find a turd of great archeaological significance and that will be the end of it!

over a year ago

It needs something. The road comes to a standstill because of rubbernecking.

over a year ago

That road it awful! It needs something x

over a year ago

It's a bloody pain trying to get anywhere west, especially in the summer. I hope they come up with a solution!

over a year ago

just get some shovels out and scrape the moss off the old stonehenge road ... sorted

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Bit of a harsh nickname!

over a year ago

Knock it down, break it up and sell it. Job done

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"So it happening,,,,,,,

To be fair, there's not that much traffic north of Newcastle. A few tractors, that sort of thing.

to be fair, during the school holidays the A303 is desolate ... £1.6 bil seems a lot just so quentin and portia can be chauffeured to bishopstrow in the morning"

I don't disagree.

over a year ago

"So it happening,,,,,,,

To be fair, there's not that much traffic north of Newcastle. A few tractors, that sort of thing. "

Ahem ....... 56,000 vehicles per day heading northbound and the same number heading south on a single carriageway is not an insignificant volume of traffic ....

The speed restriction imposed on HGVs means overtaking for even for the most deft of car drivers a game of Russian roulette....

There is no comparison to the dribble of traffic that use the A303

Rasssssssssssp

Post new Message to Thread