Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Walking boots

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

It's come to that very sad day when my timberland boots have gone to the great shoe graveyard in the sky.

Bearing in mind I break or things mysteriously fall apart within days/weeks/months of purchase these beauty's lasted 20 years.

So my two questions, one a plea for help the other lighthearted are

A, what boot can replace my walking boots primarily to do a big charity walk abroad and then be lived in for dog walks etc etc does anyone do a lot of walking and know which brand lasts these days ?

B, what's the oldest thing you own in regular use(hubby's, wife's etc don't count)

Neither does triggers broom with 6 new heads and 8 handles

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Don't you hate it when a favourite pair of boots, which have been on many epic adventures with you, finally give up the ghost!?

I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTXs which are absolutely the best boots I've ever owned (they do a men's version too). I climbed Helvellyn in the most appallingly weather wearing these beauties, the grip and support was brilliant (you wouldn't want to slip on wet rocks crossing Striding Edge!).

As for the oldest thing that I own, which is still working...that would probably be my Tefal sandwich maker, it's got to be over 30 years old!

V x

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Get a pair of Rockport boots.. they're fantastic. I wear mine for everything from smart casual to tramping up mountain tracks.

Cal

over a year ago

I always get nervous when I talk about old things that are still going, always seems like tempting fate, but here goes, our hoover, washing machine and sofa are all 14 years old, our cooker we replaced at Easter and that was 13.5 years old.

Now I'll need to keep something crossed for the foreseeable future

Ginger

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Don't you hate it when a favourite pair of boots, which have been on many epic adventures with you, finally give up the ghost!?

I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTXs which are absolutely the best boots I've ever owned (they do a men's version too). I climbed Helvellyn in the most appallingly weather wearing these beauties, the grip and support was brilliant (you wouldn't want to slip on wet rocks crossing Striding Edge!).

As for the oldest thing that I own, which is still working...that would probably be my Tefal sandwich maker, it's got to be over 30 years old!

V x"

I was/am gutted, I think if they'd lasted until the charity walk for my friend it would have been a fitting end but to die just short of it is sad.

They fitted like slippers and I agree the happy memories are many.

For then to last 20 years is unheard of

I'll have a look at those, did they take long to break in ?

X

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Get a pair of Rockport boots.. they're fantastic. I wear mine for everything from smart casual to tramping up mountain tracks.

Cal "

Thanks cal

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"I always get nervous when I talk about old things that are still going, always seems like tempting fate, but here goes, our hoover, washing machine and sofa are all 14 years old, our cooker we replaced at Easter and that was 13.5 years old.

Ginger"

Omg I'm going to feel guilty if they give up now, apologies in advance

over a year ago

no where near that length of time but my daughter has a pair of docs that she has had 6 or 7 years now i think - they have done all the festivals and 3 years at uni - lived in them practically and im sure they will last at least as long again - dear but money well spent

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"no where near that length of time but my daughter has a pair of docs that she has had 6 or 7 years now i think - they have done all the festivals and 3 years at uni - lived in them practically and im sure they will last at least as long again - dear but money well spent "

I think my boots cost £80 20 years ago but worth every penny

over a year ago

"I always get nervous when I talk about old things that are still going, always seems like tempting fate, but here goes, our hoover, washing machine and sofa are all 14 years old, our cooker we replaced at Easter and that was 13.5 years old.

Ginger

Omg I'm going to feel guilty if they give up now, apologies in advance "

same here - i moved here 12 and a half years ago - same washer - cooker - microwave - had to replace fridge freezer a couple of years ago - same iron - 1 new hoover

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/09/17 23:41:58]

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Can I apologise to anyone whose long serving goods break after this thread

over a year ago

These boots were made for walking and that's just what I'll do

One of these days these boots are gunna walk all over you

Sorry I couldn't resist

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Depends on what price you want to pay really, I,ve a pair of berghaus walking boots now lighter to wear than scarpas when out in them I got them at a discounted price from GO outdoors a good store if you can get to one, the uk,s biggest outdoor stores.

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

After I wore my last pair out I treated myself to a pair of Alt-Bergs. They're made in North Yorkshire and are superb. They're proper walking boots so may be too sturdy if you're using them for a walk round the park as well as a good hike in the Lakes. They come in different widths but also do made to measure if you really want to spoil yourself. I don't know how much the tailor made are but I paid about £150 for mine. I thought they will hopefully last me 10 years plus so I should get my money's worth. My pair are quite high so I definitely advise trying them on with a proper fitting rather than buying online.

Good luck whatever you go for.

over a year ago

"I'll have a look at those, did they take long to break in ?"

They didn't really need breaking in at all to be honest, they were really comfy from the first the I wore them.

What I did, was go to Go Outdoors, try on several pairs of boots to find the ones I liked, then googled them...I saved £30 on my Salomons by doing that.

V x

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I have a lovely pair of leather Scarpa boots. I got them at least 7 years ago, probably about £120-£130ish. I love them. Warm, waterproof, will last me at least another 7 years I'm sure. They have been up and down Pen Y Fan more times than I can count.

Whichever boots you go for, two tip. Firstly, make sure you break them in well before your charity walk, especially as you say your last pair were like slippers. Secondly, especially for the walk, pair them up with a decent pair of socks. I had a lovely pair of walking socks, I got burgled and the fuckers actually stole my socks. Can you believe it? They stole my fucking socks the bastards. Anyway. I like the ones that are thick on the bottom, and thin on the top. That way they are nice and comfy when walking without getting too hot and sweaty.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/09/17 08:02:56]

over a year ago

I've got some Scarpa boots I've had for a few years that I bought for doing a charity hike. I've done a lot of miles in them, look after them as recommended and they're still in great shape.

I have an alarm clock I was given by my best mate for my 18th that still works, so 21 nearly 22 years old.

over a year ago

The best boot I have and my oldest ones I still use are my Saloman's not sure what model they are but they are about 20 years old and still going strong, will be donning them this morning in fact

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Got to agree Saloman are great boots.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I replaced the original boiler in my house a couple of years ago. It was 40 years old, and I only replaced it because they've stop making parts for it. I bought my parents house from them so a lot of what they left in the house came to me. The cooker, which was installed in 1987, is still working. Just!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Got a pair of Peter Storm walking boots. Comfortable, warm and waterproof. Oldest thing still in use? I have a couple of work shirts in good condition that are years old.

over a year ago

Ive got a pair of mammut gtx, they are about 3 years old and despite being worn to death they are still like new... would def recommend

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas I'm going to look at all those suggested

Post new Message to Thread