Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

If... pt2

Jump to newest

By *hortie OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

If I drove a car at the speed of light, and turned the headlights on... would they work??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Drive a bit quicker and overtake it.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Your question contradicts Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity which states that no object with mass CAN travel at, or above, the speed of light (c). As your car approaches c, its resistance to acceleration (mass) increases so that it would take an impossibly infinite force to actually reach c. Your question, then, is based on an impossible premise. It's like asking 'What would happen if I reached the North Pole and kept going north?'

Source

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae169.cfm

over a year ago

"Your question contradicts Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity which states that no object with mass CAN travel at, or above, the speed of light (c). As your car approaches c, its resistance to acceleration (mass) increases so that it would take an impossibly infinite force to actually reach c. Your question, then, is based on an impossible premise. It's like asking 'What would happen if I reached the North Pole and kept going north?'

Source

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae169.cfm"

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"If I drove a car at the speed of light, and turned the headlights on... would they work??"

Assuming that it was possible to travel at the speed of light, then yes the lights would work, but unfortunately you would reach any object that was illuminated by your headlights at the same time as the light did, so you'd not see what they were illuminating.

Cal

By *imandHerNottsCouple
over a year ago

North Notts

Not so well in daylight!

I'd love to join that speed awareness course though!!!

Post new Message to Thread