Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Copyright a serious question

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I supply photos as part of my job and when I invoice I use words on the invoice along the lines of the copyright of any photographs supplied remains mine until the invoice is paid in full them the client once paid can do whatever he wants with said photos.....

Possibly more words than action BUT unfortunately it's what's sometimes needed.

My question if anyone on here knows is under what law/legislation etc would I have to go down to enforce said copyright and what would be the likely outcome of success or is it like pi**ing in the wind???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

You don't even have to state it - unless you sell the licence, copyright remains with the originator, period. Never pushed it but copyright law cases are pretty cut and dried I think.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I've no knowledge of copyright law so can't comment from that perspective but thinking about it another way why not provide proofs with a copyright watermark slapped all over them for the client to choose from - then expect payment in full before providing the unwatermarked copies?

That way they get to see the pics and approve their quality first (and have something to prove you were providing the service) - your copyright is protected until you get payment so win/win I'd have thought.

over a year ago

I supply reports that contain a lot of photos. My clients pass them on to the big client who pays them then I get paid (eventually). Unless the big client gets my report my client gets no money so I don't but I need to protect myself for getting payments as once the big client has them they're not really arsed whether I get paid or not and I can only chase my clients so it's them I invoice and them I'd need to chase through copyright. It's a bit arse about face but I'm talking very big businesses here and unfortunately I am just a very small cog in a very large machine

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"I supply reports that contain a lot of photos. My clients pass them on to the big client who pays them then I get paid (eventually). Unless the big client gets my report my client gets no money so I don't but I need to protect myself for getting payments as once the big client has them they're not really arsed whether I get paid or not and I can only chase my clients so it's them I invoice and them I'd need to chase through copyright. It's a bit arse about face but I'm talking very big businesses here and unfortunately I am just a very small cog in a very large machine "

Ah right somewhat different from what I'd imagined!! Can understand the dilemma - worth an hour with a decent copyright lawyer to get an understanding of where you stand perhaps? Might cost you in the short term but could save hassles in the long term.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I always thought copyright began with intellectual rights. If you can prove your the owner of the idea and your ideas been copied. You've won before you start an argument.

Make sure you have some proof.

over a year ago

"I supply reports that contain a lot of photos. My clients pass them on to the big client who pays them then I get paid (eventually). Unless the big client gets my report my client gets no money so I don't but I need to protect myself for getting payments as once the big client has them they're not really arsed whether I get paid or not and I can only chase my clients so it's them I invoice and them I'd need to chase through copyright. It's a bit arse about face but I'm talking very big businesses here and unfortunately I am just a very small cog in a very large machine

Ah right somewhat different from what I'd imagined!! Can understand the dilemma - worth an hour with a decent copyright lawyer to get an understanding of where you stand perhaps? Might cost you in the short term but could save hassles in the long term."

Yea I was thinking along those lines. Cheers

Post new Message to Thread