Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

L’Oreal Sack Model

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This morning, L’Oreal dropped Munroe Bergdorf, their first ever trans model, from their diversity campaign after a media storm which has seen her since branded as “anti-white” for statements that she made

She stated that ‘all white people are racist’ ans she tried to defend her statement on ITV this morning whilst Piers Morgan tore shreds out of her for classifying All white men as racist

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/09/17 08:21:09]

over a year ago

I read the Piers Morgan bit and thought 'Nob'. .

I do t know the story. But it sounds like she has too much of a strong view to go making statements and keep a high profile career.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

I blame society's celebrity culture, we look to people for leadership and just because you're in the public eye doesn't mean you're any good at it.

Models are there to look pretty and sell clothes (I'm not saying they can't be intelligent but models aren't selected from MENSA primarily), singers are there to make stuff we like to listen to, actors are there to tell a story and Simon Cowell is there to be a bastard.

Ask them to do anything else and it often falls apart, why should this be a surprise?

By *alkirkbairnMan
over a year ago

Grangemouth

Why usually annoys me without this turning into a massive racism argument is that racist comments only seem to count one way. Someone can make a white guy joke and it's funny, make the same joke about black, Asian etc and it's racist.

over a year ago

"I blame society's celebrity culture, we look to people for leadership and just because you're in the public eye doesn't mean you're any good at it.

Models are there to look pretty and sell clothes (I'm not saying they can't be intelligent but models aren't selected from MENSA primarily), singers are there to make stuff we like to listen to, actors are there to tell a story and Simon Cowell is there to be a bastard.

Ask them to do anything else and it often falls apart, why should this be a surprise?"

But; But

what about the great Bono and Bob Geldof

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

I thought this was about the clothing they were making the poor poppet wear

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"

But; But

what about the great Bono and Bob Geldof "

I didn't say it couldn't happen, there are plenty of singers who are very intelligent and models who can be too, but just because someone is well known it doesn't mean we should pay attention if they spout crap.

By *rnortholtMan
over a year ago

Travelling

It's no different to any job. If you bring your employer into disrepute, by for example being a teacher, doctor or chief exec featured in The Sun, as a swinger, things will not go well for you.

If you're hired as the face of a fashion brand or cosmetics range and tell a heap of the customers they're racist, then expect to get yiur coat as you leave!

over a year ago

It's perhaps not as clear cut as some may believe. Her comments were apparently in relation to recent events in America.

Do we truly believe that western society isn't stacked in favour of white people? Many of the most successful families have monopolised wealth built upon gains made during slavery. Look at how multinational companies treat Africa, it's people and its natural resources.

There is something to be said for the argument that racism is learned behaviour, ingrained and institutionalised in our society. To pretend otherwise is to bury our heads in the sand. After all no child is born with the opinion: "no blacks or Asians, not racist just my preference."

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

All fair points, but some comments (like hers perhaps) don't help things improve

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

That moment when your brain reads the words but doesn't connect it together...

I read that and my first thought was...

L'Oreal are selling sacks?

Wtf for?

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"It's perhaps not as clear cut as some may believe. Her comments were apparently in relation to recent events in America.

Do we truly believe that western society isn't stacked in favour of white people? Many of the most successful families have monopolised wealth built upon gains made during slavery. Look at how multinational companies treat Africa, it's people and its natural resources.

There is something to be said for the argument that racism is learned behaviour, ingrained and institutionalised in our society. To pretend otherwise is to bury our heads in the sand. After all no child is born with the opinion: "no blacks or Asians, not racist just my preference." "

Good points. But its not about redressing the balance. Its about stamping it out full stop.

over a year ago

"Why usually annoys me without this turning into a massive racism argument is that racist comments only seem to count one way. Someone can make a white guy joke and it's funny, make the same joke about black, Asian etc and it's racist. "

Pretty sure she made a daft comment about all white people and lost her job

By *rodigalson88Man
over a year ago

stockport

I read this as if she was literally a "sack" model

over a year ago

"All fair points, but some comments (like hers perhaps) don't help things improve "

Context and hindsight are wonderful things. I appreciate that if you are in the public eye you should be very careful of what you post on social media. But when you lose the right to hold your own opinion and comment on world affairs for fear of reprisal it becomes a dangerous and bland world.

You could take snippets of anyone's posts and make them seem to be a monster. Its more telling for me that we seem unprepared to have the discussion she was actually taking part in and would prefer instead just to shut it down.

over a year ago

"It's perhaps not as clear cut as some may believe. Her comments were apparently in relation to recent events in America.

There is something to be said for the argument that racism is learned behaviour, ingrained and institutionalised in our society. To pretend otherwise is to bury our heads in the sand. After all no child is born with the opinion: "no blacks or Asians, not racist just my preference." "

When I listened to the comments this was essentially the point being made. Naturally the interviewer had to ask the headline question of 'are you saying all white people are racist?' and the message, some of which is valid gets lost.

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"All white people are racist"

When you are the face of a multinational corporation a statement like that will get you traction.

The winner?

L'Oréal being seen to do the right thing and getting billions of pounds worth of free advertising.

The loser?

In the short term a brain dead model that thinks they have been hired for more than just their looks. Who knows the infamy of the remarks and the raised profile may mean a short term career boost

By *urgen666Man
over a year ago

bridgend

I watched it. The blame turns to journalists and especially the Daily Mail. Selective passages taken in certain contexts which is something the Daily Mail does and is the reason I stopped buying it. But the fact her mother questioned the dialogue points in another direction.

She also tried to argue about lack of parts in the corriculum of history.

This was then followed by a discussion about John Lewis going Grnder neutral on kids clothes.

All in all the program invites discussion and argument but it's lead by presenters and not the guest.

over a year ago

"I blame society's celebrity culture, we look to people for leadership and just because you're in the public eye doesn't mean you're any good at it.

Models are there to look pretty and sell clothes (I'm not saying they can't be intelligent but models aren't selected from MENSA primarily), singers aren't there to make stuff we like to listen to, actors are there to tell a story and Simon Cowell is there to be a bastard.

Ask them to do anything else and it often falls apart, why should this be a surprise?"

Nail head hit!

over a year ago

"Why usually annoys me without this turning into a massive racism argument is that racist comments only seem to count one way. Someone can make a white guy joke and it's funny, make the same joke about black, Asian etc and it's racist. "

Great point!

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

She was employed and asked by L'Oréal to be their voice on diversity.

What has happened is that when commenting on the recent events in the states she talked about white privilege and how systems and processes in the states (and indeed in many other countries in the world) are inheritantly racist and that those of us who have been born into that privilege, even when we acknowledge it, are accepting of it (and therefore racism) by being passive and not actively trying to break down those walls and barriers.

The right wing press twisted her words and L'Oréal have sacked her for doing exactly what she was employed to do.

over a year ago

"She was employed and asked by L'Oréal to be their voice on diversity.

What has happened is that when commenting on the recent events in the states she talked about white privilege and how systems and processes in the states (and indeed in many other countries in the world) are inheritantly racist and that those of us who have been born into that privilege, even when we acknowledge it, are accepting of it (and therefore racism) by being passive and not actively trying to break down those walls and barriers.

The right wing press twisted her words and L'Oréal have sacked her for doing exactly what she was employed to do. "

No;

L'Oreal sacked her due to her specifically stating that ‘all white people are racist’

its easy to check out, and watch her interview which was on ITV this morning, she was trying to defend her statement and digging a bigger hole

over a year ago

"All fair points, but some comments (like hers perhaps) don't help things improve

Context and hindsight are wonderful things. I appreciate that if you are in the public eye you should be very careful of what you post on social media. But when you lose the right to hold your own opinion and comment on world affairs for fear of reprisal it becomes a dangerous and bland world.

You could take snippets of anyone's posts and make them seem to be a monster. Its more telling for me that we seem unprepared to have the discussion she was actually taking part in and would prefer instead just to shut it down. "

Absolutely, I stand by her right to say what lots of people don't want to hear and frankly if it offends them, so what

over a year ago

"Why usually annoys me without this turning into a massive racism argument is that racist comments only seem to count one way. Someone can make a white guy joke and it's funny, make the same joke about black, Asian etc and it's racist.

Great point! "

Is it a great point? It's not one that I understand TBH

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/09/17 13:28:44]

over a year ago

Post new Message to Thread