Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

John Lewis Gender Neutral

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

John Lewis has become the first UK retailer to remove gender labels from its children’s clothing.

The department store chain has not only taken “girls” and “boys” labels from clothes, but has also done away with the separate sections in stores.

you’ll still find floral dresses and skirts, but the retailer is simply proving the point that they can be worn by both girls and boys.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The world's gone mad

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ok, so the world and society changes and evolves and we must all accept this.

But I can't help but feel modern society is trying to force the issue simply to appear progressively forward thinking.

Dress how you want, but thus is more about publicity than freeing oppressed people's desires.

Reply privately

By *eneathTheDiamondSkyWoman
over a year ago

East Anglia

I think it's great.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't shop there so I don't care.

When other shops start doing this I'm going to stop buying my grandchildren clothing. It's hard enough to find their sizes already without having to guess if it's a girl's style or a boy's style. They will know, if I pick up the wrong one. It would be easy if there's girls only wore dresses.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Political correctness gone m....

I think it's great. I tell my kids to choose what they want rather than what's expected of them. As adults we should teach them to grow, not restrain them by our rules and expectations.

So what, he wants a dress and play with a doll and she wants to play football and watch super hero films.

See how more accepting it is for girls to do boys things?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Imagine going to buy school uniform in a big department store and asking where the boys trousers are.

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Girls playing football....whatever next

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Political correctness gone m....

I think it's great. I tell my kids to choose what they want rather than what's expected of them. As adults we should teach them to grow, not restrain them by our rules and expectations.

So what, he wants a dress and play with a doll and she wants to play football and watch super hero films.

"

My nephew had a buggy and teddy, when he was two. He used to play with his cousin's one so my sister bought him one.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

The problem with kids clothing isn't about separate sections, it's about stereotypical slogans and images. Boy's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be scientists or astronauts and girl's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be ballerinas or simply just fabulous.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Girls playing football....whatever next "

UK lift ban on female soldiers serving in close combat frontline roles

including RAF & Navy

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm fine with it ....and its about time too....

I think its great kids aren't forced to fit stereo-types created by adults who grew up in generations where prejudice inhibited the natural development of young minds ...

Good on John Lewis

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Political correctness gone m....

My nephew had a buggy and teddy, when he was two. He used to play with his cousin's one so my sister bought him one. "

My boy loves art and crafts. Most of the boxes are in pink and are mostly aimed at girls. The cooking toys mostly have girls advertising them, it's stereotypes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Victorians used to dress boys in pink didn't they? Pink used to be for a boy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They have different cut football tops to fit their different shapes.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Good on them

Reply privately

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Tell me the way you're going to find out if they're skinny jeans for girls or boys?

It's only a difference in the cut, but I need all the help I can get

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think its brilliant

Reply privately

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I used to only buy my Daughters clothes from sports direct for the first few years. How was I supposed to know 'Red and Green should never be seen'? I thought it was on our national flag, she's Welsh, nothing wrong with it.

So with that in mind Gender Neutral clothing is a little over my head.

Thankfully she's at an age where I give her money and only have to worry is has a safe time shopping.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Tell me the way you're going to find out if they're skinny jeans for girls or boys?

It's only a difference in the cut, but I need all the help I can get "

If they fit then buy them.... Surely that's all you need to know

Reply privately

over a year ago

Finger at the ready x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Finger at the ready x"

Oops wrong thread

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

So Young boys will eventually be able to wear pink clothing without being bullied... No of course they won't, because it's all down to previous generations passing on their way of thinking.

The only way to truly have gender neutral is to remove the way of thinking, unfortunately something that can't be done for everyone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Girls playing football....whatever next

They have different cut football tops to fit their different shapes. "

They do and I think there is nothing wrong with that, but the truth is the cut and design is not a performance enhancing feature and if I still had a youthful figure I'd happily embrace the androgyny of the far more stylish tops presently aimed at females ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've got into enough trouble accidentally getting girls school trousers for my boys when Asda clearly label theirs, still I get confused.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I'm fine with it ....and its about time too....

I think its great kids aren't forced to fit stereo-types created by adults who grew up in generations where prejudice inhibited the natural development of young minds ...

Good on John Lewis "

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The problem with kids clothing isn't about separate sections, it's about stereotypical slogans and images. Boy's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be scientists or astronauts and girl's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be ballerinas or simply just fabulous. "

I think this is a spot on assessment of the situation. Constant media and retail pressure pushing and moulding children to meet an outdated perception of what they should be is so wrong.

Reply privately

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

"Tell me the way you're going to find out if they're skinny jeans for girls or boys?

If they fit then buy them.... Surely that's all you need to know "

That entails taking said children with you

Joking apart...

has anyone actually seen the layout in the stores?

I can only see them separating "boys and girls" clothing by an aisle

Most kids up to the age of ten have similar physiques any way

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

I think it's funny the focus is on gender neutral and that we should all be accepting yet the kids these days kick about like mily cyress when she's swinging about on that wrecking ball.I'm not easily shocked but its seems to be the fashion and tottally acceptable to dress your kids like prostitutes but as long as they know that the can dress like a bit of a girl or boy.I still think it's funny though that there are gona be some pissid off kids when they realise there parents unknowingly bought them some girl clothes due to there being no lables lol.the thing us adults don't realise is that kids are ruthless so there is going to be alot of bullied kids in the near future due to some adults thinking it's cool or edgy to dress there kids up in the opposite clothes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't shop there so I don't care.

When other shops start doing this I'm going to stop buying my grandchildren clothing. It's hard enough to find their sizes already without having to guess if it's a girl's style or a boy's style. They will know, if I pick up the wrong one. It would be easy if there's girls only wore dresses. "

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"So Young boys will eventually be able to wear pink clothing without being bullied... No of course they won't, because it's all down to previous generations passing on their way of thinking.

The only way to truly have gender neutral is to remove the way of thinking, unfortunately something that can't be done for everyone. "

Tricky for muslims.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exfuckungsactly! My eldest grandson is a nightmare to buy skinny jeans for as it is.

Reply privately

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

"The problem with kids clothing isn't about separate sections, it's about stereotypical slogans and images. Boy's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be scientists or astronauts and girl's t-shirts saying they want to grow up to be ballerinas or simply just fabulous.

I think this is a spot on assessment of the situation. Constant media and retail pressure pushing and moulding children to meet an outdated perception of what they should be is so wrong."

And yet, you go to a primary school on a "work wear" /"I want to be when I grow up" day

And you'll still see definite gender divides

Reply privately

over a year ago

As the mother of a football-playing, non-skirt-wearing, anti-pink girl, I think it's great that John Lewis are doing this. I hate having to say to her "let's go look in the boys section" in order to find a t-shirt that isn't pink and sparkly or with some shit slogan on it about princesses.

Girls tops all seem to be very slim fitting and not all girls want to be wearing skimpy stuff or crop tops!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So Young boys will eventually be able to wear pink clothing without being bullied... No of course they won't, because it's all down to previous generations passing on their way of thinking.

The only way to truly have gender neutral is to remove the way of thinking, unfortunately something that can't be done for everyone. "

I think you're misguided.

The fact that things change and evolve is down to previous generations moving forward and allowing it.

In 20 years time many of our views may seem biased and dated. We're not all going to understand or accept changes in what society in the media portrays as the norm.

This is a far broader subject than just dress. I fully accept allowing all people to chose what they desire without judgement.

But there are differences between the sexes in my opinion.

Interestingly enough I read a thread from someone who previously stated they don't identify with gender. They now report they have had it with men, as women are far more in tune with emotions (probably true!) But that's identifying with genders and sex?

It's complex and I have to get showered....just live and let be...diversity....also diversity of opinion.

Reply privately

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Many kids will now get bullied at school as a result of this. I do agree that its a great idea in principle but take this to facebook for example and you will see a very different attitude to on here. People need to realise that although we have come a long way with regards to stamping out all the isms and what not, we are still living in a society that as a significant intolerance. Its a bold move and whilst i encourage continuing strides towards a truly fair society just not sure the time is right for this. That being said I truly hope its successfull.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a load of crap!!! It's just a gimmick!!

There is a difference between male and female, always has been and always will be.

If you want to adhere to gender stereotypes, that's your business.

Live and let live.

Reply privately

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

ahh another sales gimmikto get sales up do they think we are all stupid

Reply privately

over a year ago

Those that are praising this as a break from social constructs also seem to be the self-imposed arbiters of morality.

Irony overload.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just a passing fad

Reply privately

over a year ago

This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it's great. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist."
:-figuring out if you mean that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Victorians used to dress boys in pink didn't they? Pink used to be for a boy. "

Pink still is in some European countries.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Imagine going to buy school uniform in a big department store and asking where the boys trousers are. "

" Excuse me, where are the back to school trousers?"

" They are just over here, sir"

You're right, hard to fathom.

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist. :-figuring out if you mean that "

This is the problem with today's satire, social media has given a voice to people with extreme views. Given further credence by trolls mocking these extremists, it reaches a wider audience. Now you never know who's actually full of shit or not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Imagine going to buy school uniform in a big department store and asking where the boys trousers are.

You're right, hard to fathom."

Except they won't be calling you sir (or madam) but some other non gender term.

They're just over here, shopper.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Imagine going to buy school uniform in a big department store and asking where the boys trousers are.

They're just over here, shopper."

Even better, that way I won't have them fired for assuming my gender. " Call me cunt, goddamnit!"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bet you'd make an interesting lunchtime date! X

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The world's gone mad "

Yes, everything has gone idiotic. This is called 'progress'!! Lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're just over here, shopper."

And I'll get there and say "These are girls style, where are the boys?" Do I have to go rooting through the rails to find boys style? Will they be separated or the same style, or labelled differently so we know which is which? Girls school shirts, trousers and blazers are different to boys.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if a boy wants a pink frilly top with a princess motif?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What if a boy wants a pink frilly top with a princess motif? "

He'd need matching shoes

Reply privately

By *nna99TV/TS
over a year ago

leicester

no it getting better for trans genders

Reply privately

By *rrol.BMan
over a year ago

Wrexham

They're just over here, shopper.

And I'll get there and say "These are girls style, where are the boys?" Do I have to go rooting through the rails to find boys style? Will they be separated or the same style, or labelled differently so we know which is which? Girls school shirts, trousers and blazers are different to boys. "

If you can't tell the difference then surely there isn't one?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Take your hate speech out of this forum, take your hate speech out of this forum

Reply privately

By *nfinitylandMan
over a year ago

Leicester

Well I think it's about time! People shouldn't be told what to wear, we are all individuals and should be treated as such.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I think it's about time! People shouldn't be told what to wear, we are all individuals and should be treated as such. "

I'm not

Reply privately

over a year ago

What some need to realise is that nature provided you with a dick or a pussy, commonly known as male and female. If you get a dick cut off or stuck on, under the exterior, you're still a male or female.

Another hang up that some won't accept is that males can be better at somethings and females can be better at other things. And you know what, that is allowable !!

The madness started when all this PC stuff kicked off and both genders are legislated into doing the same thing.

We don't shop at John Lewis but we imagine the cashier staff aren't split 50/50!!!

Mrs Littlesox is good with housework, Mr Littlesox is good with DIY. If we swapped, we would struggle. Now how sexist is that to the PC pussies!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What some need to realise is that nature provided you with a dick or a pussy, commonly known as male and female. If you get a dick cut off or stuck on, under the exterior, you're still a male or female.

Another hang up that some won't accept is that males can be better at somethings and females can be better at other things. And you know what, that is allowable !!

The madness started when all this PC stuff kicked off and both genders are legislated into doing the same thing.

We don't shop at John Lewis but we imagine the cashier staff aren't split 50/50!!!

Mrs Littlesox is good with housework, Mr Littlesox is good with DIY. If we swapped, we would struggle. Now how sexist is that to the PC pussies!!!"

Your evil

Reply privately

By *LUKCouple
over a year ago

Loughborough

Hopefully the next step is to not have the Mens section upstairs in every bloody shop.

I'm getting old and having to traipse up and down every time I go into a clothes shop is a pain in the arse. The worst part is the disappointment when you find that all they stock is 'skinny' jeans

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I think it's about time! People shouldn't be told what to wear, we are all individuals and should be treated as such. "

We're not told what to wear. The body shape between males and females are fundamentally different, the cloth shapes need cut different. Why lump clothing that fits males amongst female clothing?

And these shops put the male clothing on the top floor or at the back!!

You honestly can't make this stupidness up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a good idea. Clothes are clothes and everyone should be allowed to wear what they want.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What some need to realise is that nature provided you with a dick or a pussy, commonly known as male and female. If you get a dick cut off or stuck on, under the exterior, you're still a male or female.

Mrs Littlesox is good with housework, Mr Littlesox is good with DIY. If we swapped, we would struggle. Now how sexist is that to the PC pussies!!!.

Your evil "

Quite the opposite, just highlighting "nature" to those who have lost all trace of common sense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But the fit is different. Boys have different shape from girls. It's stupid

Reply privately

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"Hopefully the next step is to not have the Mens section upstairs in every bloody shop.

I'm getting old and having to traipse up and down every time I go into a clothes shop is a pain in the arse. The worst part is the disappointment when you find that all they stock is 'skinny' jeans "

So bloody true!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a good idea. Clothes are clothes and everyone should be allowed to wear what they want. "

So blokes can wear female trousers and vice versa? Good luck with the fitting, lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But the fit is different. Boys have different shape from girls. It's stupid"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People shouldn't be told what to wear, we are all individuals and should be treated as such. "

So why have I just had to spend an absolute fortune on school uniform??

Our children have to wear uniform from the age of 4 until they are 18. That is an issue we should be covering, not wether our boys should be able to wear pink frilly tu-tu's without prejudice.

My son IS. different, he has special needs. I have always taught him that it's okay to be different and that there is nothing wrong with that. Then we send them to school to be institutionalised. Go figure

Reply privately

over a year ago

By the way sick-boy, it's, "you're", as in, "you are"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People shouldn't be told what to wear, we are all individuals and should be treated as such.

So why have I just had to spend an absolute fortune on school uniform??

Our children have to wear uniform from the age of 4 until they are 18. That is an issue we should be covering, not wether our boys should be able to wear pink frilly tu-tu's without prejudice.

My son IS. different, he has special needs. I have always taught him that it's okay to be different and that there is nothing wrong with that. Then we send them to school to be institutionalised. Go figure "

Home school them but the lifestyle society has chosen often doesn't allow this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Over opinionated people....you got to love em

Reply privately

over a year ago

"By the way sick-boy, it's, "you're", as in, "you are""

Nazism as well

Reply privately

over a year ago

Strange that the fashion industry seems to favour females models with boyish figures....

Oh I'm just way too good for this thread ....

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"What if a boy wants a pink frilly top with a princess motif?

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?"

you answered your own question but you are underestimating how ruthless kids are to each other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m all for being inclusive but I think you will find the large majority of people like being the gender that they are and like dressing appropriately.

Most little girls like being little girls. And most little boys like being little boys.

I’m not sure why there should be such a big deal that some don’t.

Reply privately

By *ino70Man
over a year ago

Telford

And doing better then the male squad...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?you answered your own question but you are underestimating how ruthless kids are to each other."

Grew up with long blonde hair on a council estate. I've crushed enough noses to know how cruel kids are. I can see, as many of them are adults here. Encouraging the idea that people can't be different because your kids are too fucking evil to tolerate it brings up more questions really, doesn't it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Men shouldn't be in tight jeans anyway, just plain wrong

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Bloody hell the world's gone mad !

It's hard enough sorting the uniforms out for the kids as it is without mixing up the boys and girls stuff .

This is clearly a pc stunt by John Lewis and I for one hope it backfires on them .

What's wrong with celebrating the fact that there's a difference between boys and girls anyway ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?you answered your own question but you are underestimating how ruthless kids are to each other."

Unfortunately you're right, kids can be cruel and downright brutally ruthless. They're also easily led so it doesn't take much for a gang to form up on one kid.

I think let kids wear what they want to wear.

Unfortunately the voice of reason gets lost somewhere in the middle. You get both extremes battling it out and the voice in the middle doesn't speak up due to being scared of being labelled extreme by one side or the other

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?"

Because there won't be any!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The world's gone mad "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Men shouldn't be in tight jeans anyway, just plain wrong "

Got to admit they would look like......a game of two halves on you

Reply privately

By *ubswitchdomCouple
over a year ago

Sussex

Then he can? Why shouldn't he? What is intrinsically negative about the colour pink or princesses? Aside from assholes being assholes to him, how will it impact him badly? Make him gay? Make him a criminal? What?you answered your own question but you are underestimating how ruthless kids are to each other.

Grew up with long blonde hair on a council estate. I've crushed enough noses to know how cruel kids are. I can see, as many of them are adults here. Encouraging the idea that people can't be different because your kids are too fucking evil to tolerate it brings up more questions really, doesn't it? "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is it just me who finds it so confusing when I see a post from a couple and I just can't figure out if it's the woman or the man writing.....?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist.

Is it just me who finds it so confusing when I see a post from a couple and I just can't figure out if it's the woman or the man writing.....?

"

More Nazi genderising ....

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist.

"

why would it matter?

Reply privately

over a year ago

NEWS FLASH .....

Clothes don't change a person gender or sexuality.......

See I told you all...,

I'm way to good for this thread

Reply privately

over a year ago

why would it matter?"

I visualise who is talking. A couple would be a 2 headed monster

Reply privately

By *ubswitchdomCouple
over a year ago

Sussex

"Many kids will now get bullied at school as a result of this. I do agree that its a great idea in principle but take this to facebook for example and you will see a very different attitude to on here. People need to realise that although we have come a long way with regards to stamping out all the isms and what not, we are still living in a society that as a significant intolerance. Its a bold move and whilst i encourage continuing strides towards a truly fair society just not sure the time is right for this. That being said I truly hope its successfull."

While I agree with most of what you said, it will never be "the right time for this". Change doesn't just happen on its own, we need to actively make it.

Who would have thought that dinosaurs on a dress could make some people so unhappy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Of all the threads you could of worried about which gender is posting, you chose this one

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nobody I know is advocating the hunting down and bullying of people wishing to wear clothes of their choice, it's a free and liberal country and most people like it that way.

However the vast vast vast majority of people want to dress their children in the gender they are, we categorise shit to make it easy to find what we want and what's wrong with the vast majority of people getting their children's clothes categorised for that reason?.

Reply privately

By *rrol.BMan
over a year ago

Wrexham

"Nobody I know is advocating the hunting down and bullying of people wishing to wear clothes of their choice, it's a free and liberal country and most people like it that way.

However the vast vast vast majority of people want to dress their children in the gender they are, we categorise shit to make it easy to find what we want and what's wrong with the vast majority of people getting their children's clothes categorised for that reason?."

They continue to have the choice of every single other shop? No?

Plus there is this internet thing I've been hearing about. Talk is you can buy whatever you want on there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I buy my granddaughters clothes from both departments anyway...the boys get the best tshirts, and dinosaur stuff, and tractors...she loves tractors!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NEWS FLASH .....

See I told you all...,

I'm way to good for this thread "

Ah cazzo con i tuoi calzini

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nobody I know is advocating the hunting down and bullying of people wishing to wear clothes of their choice, it's a free and liberal country and most people like it that way.

However the vast vast vast majority of people want to dress their children in the gender they are, we categorise shit to make it easy to find what we want and what's wrong with the vast majority of people getting their children's clothes categorised for that reason?.

They continue to have the choice of every single other shop? No?

Plus there is this internet thing I've been hearing about. Talk is you can buy whatever you want on there."

Point being the vast vast majority of John Lewis shoppers want that as well... That's why this world has gone mad, who the fuck offerers something 99.99% of your customers don't want

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NEWS FLASH .....

See I told you all...,

I'm way to good for this thread

Ah cazzo con i tuoi calzini "

Well in this context they would be of the ankle high cute frilly verity ,,,,

So stick your hobbit feet where the sun don't shine .....

Oh pardon me..... did I say sun .... sorry I meant smog......

Reply privately

By *ornCouple
over a year ago

Sedgemoor

If anything. it will reduce sales. If your first child is a girl and you can't anything but pink, you have to buy all over again for the second one who is a boy, rather than passing clothes down.

Children at primary level do not differ in shape due to gender.

Just get used to the idea

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If anything. it will reduce sales. If your first child is a girl and you can't anything but pink, you have to buy all over again for the second one who is a boy, rather than passing clothes down.

"

That's a good point actually. I wonder if they've thought of that, odds on them scrapping this when sales dip?

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"If anything. it will reduce sales. If your first child is a girl and you can't anything but pink, you have to buy all over again for the second one who is a boy, rather than passing clothes down.

That's a good point actually. I wonder if they've thought of that, odds on them scrapping this when sales dip?"

would be interesting to see what excuse they come up with for reverting back if sales dip enough.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Cause they do, girls are usually bigger than boys!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's great, it should be extended to adult clothes as well.

Get so fed up of that crap about pink for girls, blue for boys!

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is so annoying. So not only have I got to sift through all the boys stuff, now I have to search through all the girls stuff too. Fuck it. I'll just shop somewhere else.

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

"I’m all for being inclusive but I think you will find the large majority of people like being the gender that they are and like dressing appropriately.

Most little girls like being little girls. And most little boys like being little boys.

"

Do they though, or are they just copying what is being portrayed to them.

If the gender role models were the opposite then little children would mimic that instead, as it is influenced from a very young age, they see it as I am the same as that person so I should be doing what that person does.

The reason the gender neutral question is more open now is due to people feeling like they can be more open about who they are now. Yes the majority are probably comfortable to the gender assigned with their sex, but some aren't so making society comfortable for them to be able to openly speak up is what is needed.

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

That's a good point actually. I wonder if they've thought of that, odds on them scrapping this when sales dip?would be interesting to see what excuse they come up with for reverting back if sales dip enough."

But that won't happen, not at least for many years, because the parents will still buy pink for girls and blue for boys. There will still be clothes aimed at a specific gender, it just won't be labelled boys/girls.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In the 70's unisex clothing was the norm for my generation ....

We really embraced androgynous fashion....

With shoulder leghth hair I was often wolf whistled from behind by older guys whose arse fell out when I turned around ...

Reply privately

By *ornCouple
over a year ago

Sedgemoor

Have any of you seen these programmes on BBC recently http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09202lp/ad/no-more-boys-and-girls-can-our-kids-go-gender-free-series-1-episode-1

I reckon John Lewis did

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In the 70's unisex clothing was the norm for my generation ....

With shoulder leghth hair I was often wolf whistled from behind by older guys whose arse fell out when I turned around ... "

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?

Reply privately

over a year ago

With shoulder leghth hair I was often wolf whistled from behind by older guys whose arse fell out when I turned around ...

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?"

The Woodstock generation became the establishment and frowned at the youth.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?"

. Nothings happened We are more liberal still... We just want to buy boys clothes for our boy children and be able to find them easy by giving them a label... Something like "boys clothes" will do

Reply privately

over a year ago

NOBODY wants to stop people from dressing their own children how that want

Reply privately

over a year ago

Except the minority

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?. Nothings happened We are more liberal still... We just want to buy boys clothes for our boy children and be able to find them easy by giving them a label... Something like "boys clothes" will do"

You really need help finding what you decide are suitable clothes for a boy?

Like, if a selection of jumpers doesn't say 'boys jumpers' nearby, you'll be completely baffled and have to give up?

Or you might accidentally buy a dress because it doesn't say it's for girls?

I think you, and everyone else, will cope just fine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wonder if they've taken the labels off the toilets to make them gender neutral too!?!

In the words of the fat controller....

"There will be confusion and delay!"

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?. Nothings happened We are more liberal still... We just want to buy boys clothes for our boy children and be able to find them easy by giving them a label... Something like "boys clothes" will do

Like, if a selection of jumpers doesn't say 'boys jumpers' nearby, you'll be completely baffled and have to give up?

I think you, and everyone else, will cope just fine. "

I don't like shopping. In fact, I hate it. I want to look across the shop floor and see a sign saying boys aged 9 and above. And then I know the shape, style and colours my boys like will hopefully be in that section.

If my girls want pink fluffy socks, I know they won't be in the boys section.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?. Nothings happened We are more liberal still... We just want to buy boys clothes for our boy children and be able to find them easy by giving them a label... Something like "boys clothes" will do

I think you, and everyone else, will cope just fine. "

Hahaha yes hilarious... Anyhow, no it's called categories, you know like when you want food but a particular food like say pizza, they don't just say all food in here, rummage around and find something that looks like pizza

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’m all for being inclusive but I think you will find the large majority of people like being the gender that they are and like dressing appropriately.

Do they though, or are they just copying what is being portrayed to them.

If the gender role models were the opposite then little children would mimic that instead, as it is influenced from a very young age, they see it as I am the same as that person so I should be doing what that person does.

The reason the gender neutral question is more open now is due to people feeling like they can be more open about who they are now. Yes the majority are probably comfortable to the gender assigned with their sex, but some aren't so making society comfortable for them to be able to openly speak up is what is needed. "

I’m going to say yes they do.

All this non binary gender pansexual stuff in schools it’s the latest trend. A mates 12 year old daughter identifies herself that way.

She may well be asexual but it’s more likely that she’s following that latest fashion.

Is trying to be inclusive and none judgemental of a minority actually damaging impressionable young people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are supposed to be a more liberal society than ever before, what has happened since the 70's that we as a nation became more conservative? Milk snatcher Thatcher?. Nothings happened We are more liberal still... We just want to buy boys clothes for our boy children and be able to find them easy by giving them a label... Something like "boys clothes" will do"

Watched yourself soxy idolised Maggie. ..I've heard that his house is adorned by pictures of her

Reply privately

over a year ago

Watched yourself soxy idolised Maggie. ..I've heard that his house is adorned by pictures of her "

Probably his TVdar

Reply privately

over a year ago

Watched yourself soxy idolised Maggie. ..I've heard that his house is adorned by pictures of her .

Probably his TVdar "

Oh she was convincing as a tv

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

"Wonder if they've taken the labels off the toilets to make them gender neutral too!?!

"

There are gender neutral toilets in some places, it's not all about removing the gender, it's making it comfortable for those who identify as the gender opposing their sex.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wonder if they've taken the labels off the toilets to make them gender neutral too!?!

There are gender neutral toilets in some places, it's not all about removing the gender, it's making it comfortable for those who identify as the gender opposing their sex. "

And not taking into consideration the people who don't want to share toilets with the opposite sex.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There are gender neutral toilets in some places, it's not all about removing the gender, it's making it comfortable for those who identify as the gender opposing their sex.

And not taking into consideration the people who don't want to share toilets with the opposite sex. "

Aw now bugger off....how many bogs have you in your house that are male and female

Reply privately

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

There are gender neutral toilets in some places, it's not all about removing the gender, it's making it comfortable for those who identify as the gender opposing their sex. "

that's crazy.making it comfortable for them while at the same time making the majority of the population uncomfortable.I would get stage fright if I was minding my own business taking a piss and some woman rocks up next to me and whips her fanny out and dunks it in the urinal.madness .

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I think it's a great idea - in a recent experiment for a tv series they took a junior school class gender neutral over a period of weeks and it made a HUGE difference - girls confidence and self-image increased, boys developed empathy and the ability to express emotions other than anger!! There will always be a difference due to nature, but there is a real problem making it detrimental due to nurture.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it's a great idea - in a recent experiment for a tv series they took a junior school class gender neutral over a period of weeks and it made a HUGE difference - girls confidence and self-image increased, boys developed empathy and the ability to express emotions other than anger!! There will always be a difference due to nature, but there is a real problem making it detrimental due to nurture."

How did they do that? Was it a primary or secondary school?

Reply privately

over a year ago

so all thats really been achieved is making it slightly more awkward to find what your looking for?

Reply privately

over a year ago

And not taking into consideration the people who don't want to share toilets with the opposite sex.

Aw now bugger off....how many bogs have you in your house that are male and female"

The people in my house are not strangers. I can use my toilet without sharing the room with someone else or have someone outside the door. If I had my way I would have my own toilet and bathroom that my son couldn't use, and he could clean his own mess up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Watched yourself soxy idolised Maggie. ..I've heard that his house is adorned by pictures of her .

Probably his TVdar "

I'll have you know I had a pair of Maggie (Conservative) spitting image puppet slippers......

When John Smith ( Labour ) died suddenly a roughneck on one of my crews bought me a pair of spitting image puppet slippers of him in a coffin .....

Rule Britannia

Reply privately

over a year ago

"so all thats really been achieved is making it slightly more awkward to find what your looking for?"

Hopefully I'll never find out.

Or it could mean that the child who asks for pyjamas with a rocket/unicorn on them won't be getting them from John Lewis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good on John Lewis "

That's a ridiculous statement when they don't dress our kids. If parents want to stick to stereotypes, they will.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good on John Lewis

That's a ridiculous statement when they don't dress our kids. If parents want to stick to stereotypes, they will."

Hardly ridicules but if you think that's a not a clumsy reply I don't think I care what you have to say on the matter

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fashion dictates. I recall when it was fashionable for boys to wear pink or lemon.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably his TVdar

I'll have you know I had a pair of Maggie (Conservative) spitting image puppet slippers......

When John Smith ( Labour ) died suddenly a roughneck on one of my crews bought me a pair of spitting image puppet slippers of him in a coffin .....

Rule Britannia "

Steel toe capped obviously!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a good thing. I hate having to walk through the knickers section to get to the men's clothes.

Now I can stand in the knickers section and not look like a perv

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I think it's a great idea - in a recent experiment for a tv series they took a junior school class gender neutral over a period of weeks and it made a HUGE difference - girls confidence and self-image increased, boys developed empathy and the ability to express emotions other than anger!! There will always be a difference due to nature, but there is a real problem making it detrimental due to nurture.

How did they do that? Was it a primary or secondary school? "

Primary - they banned a lot of gender specific stuff then did exercises to demonstrate both sexes could do the same things - girls ringing the bell at the fairground game with a hammer while the strongest boy misshit and threw a tantrum,, boys sewing stuff together to make a toy or trying different things and enjoying it, working on girls spacial awareness, bringing in role models to chat to them like male ballet dancers and female mechanics, getting the parents involved in correcting gender imbalanced toys or clothes etc.

It was an interesting experiment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably his TVdar

Rule Britannia .

"

Nah ugg slippers

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a good thing. I hate having to walk through the knickers section to get to the men's clothes.

Now I can stand in the knickers section and not look like a perv "

Wait until you get them to the till

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably his TVdar

Rule Britannia .

Nah ugg slippers"

That reminds me, I need to buy a cucumber

Reply privately

over a year ago

Got to admit they would look like......a game of two halves on you "

In the words of the virgin mary , come again?...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Got to admit they would look like......a game of two halves on you

In the words of the virgin mary , come again?... "

Max wall?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a good thing. I hate having to walk through the knickers section to get to the men's clothes.

Now I can stand in the knickers section and not look like a perv

Wait until you get them to the till "

Only if they've dried off in time

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably his TVdar

Rule Britannia .

Nah ugg slippers

That reminds me, I need to buy a cucumber "

They sell half's in tesco

Reply privately

By *r FirecrackerMan
over a year ago

London

"This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist German engineer who vapes organic decaffeinated compressed soy breast milk on the regular and a person who does Indian naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog who serves only to one master: my chihuahua which I helped

cross the border of Mexico because I hate Donald Trump. My dog also walks

me, if you find that weird you're an arrogant ignorant homophobic globaphobic sexist."

Lol Bravo

Reply privately

over a year ago

...oh wait hang on....You forgot that if they dont agree with you they are nazis/white supremisists

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

More equality of pricing is a good thing - like the razors.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"More equality of pricing is a good thing - like the razors. "

Are the pink razors dearer or cheaper?

Genuine question

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"More equality of pricing is a good thing - like the razors.

Genuine question "

They have been dearer but stores took a hit and equalised pricing.

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Have they got gender neutral fitting rooms yet?

What about gender neutral toilets?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Genuine question

They have been dearer but stores took a hit and equalised pricing. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Probably his TVdar

Rule Britannia .

Nah ugg slippers

That reminds me, I need to buy a cucumber "

It's a good day to shove it through the vicars letterbox and shout the Martians have landed

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

And not taking into consideration the people who don't want to share toilets with the opposite sex. "

Well they do actually, as they have female and male toilets too.

Would you happily share a toilet with someone who was MtF trans, or in the process of it. The reason these toilets exist is because people aren't comfortable with it.

Reply privately

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Fair enough. I assume clothes are still arranged like for like on a gender basis rather than all mixed together in one gender jumble? Because most people still want to put there kids in clothes traditionally set aside for their children's sex (me included to a certain extent). So if they were totally jumbled it would make searching for the outfits you want a nightmare for most and put off customers. But I am for not having huge girls and boys labels in the stores and hopefully a bigger range of gender nutral options. Hopefully this will reduce the awkwardness of say (to be topical) a boy wanting an Elsa dress. But likewise I don't want to see the sale of only genderless clothes, for me that takes away peoples right to identify and be different if the want. But cool to create and environment that is more friendly for anyone breaking norms. I somehow don't think that approch would wash down too well with adult clothing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Fair enough. I assume clothes are still arranged like for like on a gender basis rather than all mixed together in one gender jumble? Because most people still want to put there kids in clothes traditionally set aside for their children's sex (me included to a certain extent). So if they were totally jumbled it would make searching for the outfits you want a nightmare for most and put off customers. But I am for not having huge girls and boys labels in the stores and hopefully a bigger range of gender nutral options. Hopefully this will reduce the awkwardness of say (to be topical) a boy wanting an Elsa dress. But likewise I don't want to see the sale of only genderless clothes, for me that takes away peoples right to identify and be different if the want. But cool to create and environment that is more friendly for anyone breaking norms. I somehow don't think that approch would wash down too well with adult clothing. "

Oh I don't know...I bet there's plenty of men on here who would like to see the knickers mixed up with Y fronts

Reply privately

over a year ago

"NEWS FLASH .....

See I told you all...,

I'm way to good for this thread "

Nor chopping a cock off or gluing one on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Here we go

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seems like a good publicity stunt and free advertising.

Personally I think people should be able to wear what they want.

Girls and boys body shapes are the same up until pubity when girls get wider hips and boobs and boy broader shoulders and more muscular.

So the store would have to make the same clothes in two different shapes. Which would make the clothes more expensive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a cynical future marketing ploy after a study revealed that CD's spend more on clothes than men or women who only maintain one wardrobe

Bet there is no actual increase in 8 year olds wearing floral dresses. Just more time spent finding clothes the kids like.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It sounds like sweden, soon they will not be allowed to say him and her when talking to someone.

Reply privately

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"John Lewis has become the first UK retailer to remove gender labels from its children’s clothing.

The department store chain has not only taken “girls” and “boys” labels from clothes, but has also done away with the separate sections in stores.

you’ll still find floral dresses and skirts, but the retailer is simply proving the point that they can be worn by both girls and boys."

I am already terrible at choosing clothes for children. Think I'll stick with nerf guns, parents will be ok with that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It sounds like sweden, soon they will not be allowed to say him and her when talking to someone."
Genderless society

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm undecided. Possibly 3 types of clothes sections would be better- girls, boys and gender neutral. I have a mix of men and women clothes.

They segregate pj's from daytime clothes. Some people still wear pj's to go shopping.

Reply privately

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Good on them. They could divide clothes by type maybe to make it easier. Dresses, tops, trousers, skirts etc. We grew up without a lot of money so my mum dressed me unisex as much as possible so my younger brother could get my hand me downs. This kind of thing would have made her life far easier. I have never been a sparkly, pink, princess type girl and would far rather have had an astronaut jumper anyway without being told I was a tomboy for it.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

With hair accessories hopefully. No problem with me

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Would you happily share a toilet with someone who was MtF trans, or in the process of it. The reason these toilets exist is because people aren't comfortable with it. "

Only if they don't piss all over the seat

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Genuine question "

Dearer and crap

Reply privately

over a year ago

Genuine question

Dearer and crap"

Same price in tesco...just been and seen

Reply privately

over a year ago

They could remove all labelling, sizing, and sorting just chuck it in a big heap and make you search for it.... oh wait that's t k max

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"John Lewis has become the first UK retailer to remove gender labels from its children’s clothing.

you’ll still find floral dresses and skirts, but the retailer is simply proving the point that they can be worn by both girls and boys."

It would probably be more "inclusive" if they did pink flowery rugby shirts and dresses with guns and tank on them.

Cal

Reply privately

over a year ago

As a TG I think it is great as it is the but hey understand that may not be everyone cup of tea but it is a private premise so they can do what they like and you are not forced to shop their,it is gender binary and fixed views that have caused me a lot of issues in my life and getting rid of that as proved by a recent study shown on the BBC helps boys to be more open with their options and girls to have higher aspirations than just be sub servant to boys, little changes like this make the biggest change as I would have loved to as a child to be able to wear what I want, like pink tops without my parents getting evil stares, i understand not everyone has these issues, but young boys like pink who are not trans and still get the same stares, we need to remove gender norms in my opinion to progress as a society but that is a whole other issue for another forum

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Genuine question

Dearer and crap

Same price in tesco...just been and seen "

The big retailers were shamed, so reduced or increased some prices to create equal over-charging . They cost pennies to make

Reply privately

over a year ago

Genuine question

Dearer and crap

Same price in tesco...just been and seen

The big retailers were shamed, so reduced or increased some prices to create equal over-charging . They cost pennies to make"

Now what is shocking and never mind the colour.....it's the bloody blades.

They a around £2.50 each

Reply privately

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

Would you happily share a toilet with someone who was MtF trans, or in the process of it. The reason these toilets exist is because people aren't comfortable with it.

Only if they don't piss all over the seat"

Got to love kids play areas for that... Thread closed

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not quite

Reply privately