Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

CV and covering letter

Jump to newest

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

If you are asked to provide a CV and covering letter, how long is your CV and how long is your covering letter?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

CV: 2 sides of A4

Covering letter text: quarter to half a side of A4

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"CV: 2 sides of A4

"

This, short and sweet, don't waffle.

over a year ago

"

Yep I'd go along with this

over a year ago

It depends on the job, surely?

My CV varies from 2 to 3 pages depending on what job I'm applying to. I try to keep my cover letter to 1 page, but for some positions I'll do a full 2 page cover letter.

Whereas Marc's CV is about 15 pages. His cover letter is generally 3 pages.

It all depends on the job you're seeking....

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Yep I'd go along with this "

I've recently hacked my CV down quite a bit, but how can you cover everything in quarter to a half of a page for a covering letter?

over a year ago

I've recently hacked my CV down quite a bit, but how can you cover everything in quarter to a half of a page for a covering letter? "

It'll depend what job you're applying for but if everyone applies with hugely long cvs and letters I imagine most of it won't get read.

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

I've recently hacked my CV down quite a bit, but how can you cover everything in quarter to a half of a page for a covering letter? "

How do you mean, the cover letter is usually stating why you want the job or why your suitable for the and why you wish to work for the company. Long as you keep it relevant and stick to the point with out any padding make it as long as you want.

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

Oh and they say you should keep the CV to 2 pages.

over a year ago

"If you are asked to provide a CV and covering letter, how long is your CV and how long is your covering letter? "

Depends on what job role u applying for and who much experience u got.

over a year ago

Keep the content pertinent to the job. 2 pages is fine but if your losing vital content make it 3.

By *elson61Man
over a year ago

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

Just checked my cv, which I used to apply for a job in July. It is two pages long and my covering letter is 1 page.

over a year ago

I was under the impression that the general guidance is 2 sides of A4 for the CV. In most cases presumably it's just to check key qualifications and skills with any subsequent interview being the opportunity to expand further.

over a year ago

"I was under the impression that the general guidance is 2 sides of A4 for the CV. In most cases presumably it's just to check key qualifications and skills with any subsequent interview being the opportunity to expand further."

Yep. ..but having read some of the profiles on here. ..

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I've recently hacked my CV down quite a bit, but how can you cover everything in quarter to a half of a page for a covering letter?

Keep the content pertinent to the job. 2 pages is fine but if your losing vital content make it 3.

"

I always thought a covering letter should be something to draw attention to you as a candidate and give a recruiter reason to read your CV in detail. I thought it should state why you are applying for the job and a brief outline of why you would be suitable, the supporting information would then be found on your CV.

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

"

Could go slightly longer with the letter but no more than one page. I have been employing people for over 20 years and anything much longer than this wouldn't get considered. If you can't cover the key points relevant to the post you are applying for and make an impact in three pages then you're not doing it right in my opinion.

over a year ago

I always thought a covering letter should be something to draw attention to you as a candidate and give a recruiter reason to read your CV in detail. I thought it should state why you are applying for the job and a brief outline of why you would be suitable, the supporting information would then be found on your CV."

Yes. When I was made redundant last year the company paid for a professional company to come in and we all attended a 1 day workshop in job applications followed by a 1:1 meeting to polish up your CV and job application technique. It was really useful but the most useful thing was how to make your CV stand out and partly that was down to presentation and drawing the reader to key points. I had way too much irrelevant padding in mine. Stuff that is best saved to interview. As long as the key points are on the CV. Use the covering letter to say why you want the job and why you'll be best. Anything longer than a page is boring!

over a year ago

I always thought a covering letter should be something to draw attention to you as a candidate and give a recruiter reason to read your CV in detail. I thought it should state why you are applying for the job and a brief outline of why you would be suitable, the supporting information would then be found on your CV.

Yes. When I was made redundant last year the company paid for a professional company to come in and we all attended a 1 day workshop in job applications followed by a 1:1 meeting to polish up your CV and job application technique. It was really useful but the most useful thing was how to make your CV stand out and partly that was down to presentation and drawing the reader to key points. I had way too much irrelevant padding in mine. Stuff that is best saved to interview. As long as the key points are on the CV. Use the covering letter to say why you want the job and why you'll be best. Anything longer than a page is boring! "

this

I've recruited for two people in the past few months and the number of CVs that have too much info in them is incredible.

Also, finding the experience relevant to the role they are applying for can sometimes be like a Where's Wally picture. Tweak your CV to show how you fit the role.

over a year ago

Yes. When I was made redundant last year the company paid for a professional company to come in and we all attended a 1 day workshop in job applications followed by a 1:1 meeting to polish up your CV and job application technique. It was really useful but the most useful thing was how to make your CV stand out and partly that was down to presentation and drawing the reader to key points. I had way too much irrelevant padding in mine. Stuff that is best saved to interview. As long as the key points are on the CV. Use the covering letter to say why you want the job and why you'll be best. Anything longer than a page is boring!

this

I've recruited for two people in the past few months and the number of CVs that have too much info in them is incredible.

Also, finding the experience relevant to the role they are applying for can sometimes be like a Where's Wally picture. Tweak your CV to show how you fit the role."

I had several versions of my CV that I could tweak depending on what role I was applying for. That was really useful too.

Post new Message to Thread