Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Body donation

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Programme on my5 now following people in their dying months who have donated their bodies to science upon their death.

It's quite moving to watch.

Has anybody thought about doing this themselves?

How do you think you would feel if a family member expressed this wish?

I wouldn't do this but am on the donor list.

And if a family member expressed this wish to me I think I would come to terms with it eventually but would be thinking of what is happening to them after their death.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

no, mine's knackered

over a year ago

I'm on the donor list and they can do whatever they want after I'm dead

I'm off to explore the universe once I'm out of this meat sack

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Absolutely. They can do/ have what they want with mine once I've gone.

over a year ago

"Programme on my5 now following people in their dying months who have donated their bodies to science upon their death.

And if a family member expressed this wish to me I think I would come to terms with it eventually but would be thinking of what is happening to them after their death. "

I think once science has finished with them they still have a funeral of sorts. They can't just leave a pile of dissected bodies laying around can they.

over a year ago

"Absolutely. They can do/ have what they want with mine once I've gone. "

I'd much rather do that while you're still warm, alive would be better still

over a year ago

My dad wanted this done but he never really did anything official to say he wanted it. He would just say it all the time when he talked about dying. "Either donate my body to science or throw me away with the trash!"

Because he never did any paperwork, and throwing bodies in the trash is illegal, he got cremated. Turns out there's a lot of red tape around donating your body to science...

over a year ago

Take what want but not my soul

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Everything usable of mine is up for donation.

What's left is going in a cardboard box & having a tree planted on top of it!

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Absolutely. They can do/ have what they want with mine once I've gone.

I'd much rather do that while you're still warm, alive would be better still "

Well obviously

over a year ago

"Programme on my5 now following people in their dying months who have donated their bodies to science upon their death.

And if a family member expressed this wish to me I think I would come to terms with it eventually but would be thinking of what is happening to them after their death. "

Once I'm dead they can do anything they like with my remains x

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

I'd gladly donate my body to medical science, whether it be for med students to practice on, advanced research into mental health, or pioneering new surgical procedures, I'll never be a teacher but people can still learn from me.

over a year ago

im on the donor list - i used to be of the thought when youre numbers up thats it but ..... since having kids id like to think if they needed anything it would be available and changed my way of thinking - plus i cant be that selfish to want to take without being prepared to give - hence on the list

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"im on the donor list - i used to be of the thought when youre numbers up thats it but ..... since having kids id like to think if they needed anything it would be available and changed my way of thinking - plus i cant be that selfish to want to take without being prepared to give - hence on the list"

over a year ago

I think it's up to the person what happens with their body after they die. It's got fuck all to do with anyone else. I don't know why they confirm with relatives about organ donation etc.

I just checked on the organ donation site and it says that if relatives object, medical staff "will make it clear that they do not have the legal right to override your decision." Glad about that.

over a year ago

I'd kinda like to, but my bodies probably toxic, also I kinda want to be fired into space. They also do that crush your ashes into a diamond thing, so I could sparkle in the cosmos....

over a year ago

Sure the family can't bury you. Once they're finished they hold a small device for you but that could be months down the line.

I'm on the donar list but not my corneas, weird about my eyes, I wanna keep them!

By *aelawMan
over a year ago

Paisley

Definitely also on the list. I should still have some functioning items when I'm done with my body. It's a hard thing to think about for some people.

I am a firm believer that it should be an opt out system rather than an opt in. Interested to see what others think

over a year ago

"Definitely also on the list. I should still have some functioning items when I'm done with my body. It's a hard thing to think about for some people.

I am a firm believer that it should be an opt out system rather than an opt in. Interested to see what others think"

I agree it should be opt out.

By *ink magnolia s yorksWoman
over a year ago

south yorkshire

I believe that the deceased are released back to families etc once testing is finished, but it can take months. That would put me off because I think that part is hard for loved ones.I have a fairly Rare connective tissue problem that needs more research so it has crossed my mind

And if a family member expressed this wish to me I think I would come to terms with it eventually but would be thinking of what is happening to them after their death.

I think once science has finished with them they still have a funeral of sorts. They can't just leave a pile of dissected bodies laying around can they."

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

That's exactly where mine is going. I don't fucking need it when it's given up.

No funeral, just a fancy dress party. I want everyone to feel silly and remember me for the fun side. Cheesy 80s and rock.

I'm really hoping to do a voice recording where I basically insult people that should be there (in a typical me kinda way - jesting about)

I want to make people laugh even when I'm outta here.

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

If they can get any use out of it, they're welcome to it

By *arehamMan
over a year ago

handforth

On the list I won't know what's going on

over a year ago

Depends how you die, with what can be used. For example in palliative care it's usually only skin and corneas that can be used and it has to be acted on very quickly so your family don't have the chance to sit with you long after death.

With science it's a wonder and I urge anyone who has any unusual condition/illness to consider it as it's the only way to help find cures.

I am on the donor list. However when it comes to my children I can't make that decision for them.

over a year ago

I'm still going with the cremation, ashes crushed into fake diamonds then shot into space.

By *ristol HellfireMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"Take what want but not my soul "

I collect the souls of sinners.

You are already marked for collection.

Love and kisses

Lucifer

over a year ago

In the very near future they won't need donated organs, because they'll be making them in labs. And by "they" I mean our robot overlords.

Post new Message to Thread