Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The unmistakable sound of Merlin engines

Jump to newest

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Sat watching a film earlier this afternoon when my ears picked up on the unmistakable sound of Merlin engines. I shot outside to see the Lancaster Bomber flying overhead nice n low. What a truly fabulous sound they make,its like music of the highest quality to my ears. Sad...but true.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

One of the few good things to have been designed and built in Derby

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Only beaten by a whining Vulcan!

By *anger69104Man
over a year ago

Lincoln

I live in Lincoln so see and hear it often. Always brings a lump to my throat.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Only two flying Lancasters left in the world...

Was lucky enough to stand beneath them as they did a low level formation fly past..

The earth actually shook as they flew over..

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Only beaten by a whining Vulcan!"

The Vulcan is a magical sound too,but I'd love to get hold of a Merlin engine and fit it in to a Rat Rod. I would truly be happy as a pig in shit with a permanent hard on.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

If you ever see a guy standing slack-jawed and soggy-boxered when a Spitfire, Lancaster and Vulcan do a flyby, that'll be me, I could happily sit there all day and just listen to them fly around.... sad innit?

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"If you ever see a guy standing slack-jawed and soggy-boxered when a Spitfire, Lancaster and Vulcan do a flyby, that'll be me, I could happily sit there all day and just listen to them fly around.... sad innit? "

Your not on your own

over a year ago

As far as sounds go, it's up their with the finest. Possibly only beaten by a hot lady saying in her most sultry tone 'fuck me now'

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Live not far from Duxford and air show days always attract a variety of beautiful sounds in the air space over our house - the noise of Lancaster or Spitfire though is the most unmistakable and the best

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

Guy Martin has one, bolted to a trailer, and fires it up occasionally. He did a documentary on it.

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"As far as sounds go, it's up their with the finest. Possibly only beaten by a hot lady saying in her most sultry tone 'fuck me now' "

Imagine joining the mile high club in a Lancaster.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It's the air show at Eastbourne soon and hopefully a Lancaster and a spitfire and a hurricane will fly over. Coolio.

over a year ago

Enjoy...

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avast&hsimp=yhs-brwsr001&type=osf01s1&p=spitfore+low+level+fly+past

over a year ago

The Vulcan and both Lanc's flew over tbe new bomber memorial in Lincoln in a Vee formation. Absolutely amazing moment.

You could imagine the Vulcan going as slow as poss with the two Lanc's trying to keep up.

over a year ago

Wow you lucky duck i took some amazing pictures of the lanc a few years ago

the sound of the merlin engine is part of my ringtone . Public Service Broadcasting,, spitfire

By *amelhunterMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Seems to be a lack of female response to this thread.

Obviously never heard a merlin in full volume.

over a year ago

That and the Griffon. Both have the sound of gods gargling nails.

over a year ago

"Sat watching a film earlier this afternoon when my ears picked up on the unmistakable sound of Merlin engines. I shot outside to see the Lancaster Bomber flying overhead nice n low. What a truly fabulous sound they make,its like music of the highest quality to my ears. Sad...but true."

We were walking the dog round wessenden when it flew over very very low, wasn't sure what plane it was though

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Seems to be a lack of female response to this thread.

Obviously never heard a merlin in full volume. "

Pha! I was right by the fence at Biggin Hill a couple of years back when 18 Spits and 4 Hurricanes were in the air at once, and I was squeaking with delight making loads of whatsapp sound recordings to send to all my chums!!

They went round and round swooping low over the road and tipping their wings at us and it was one hell of a thrill! I quite often hear them in the sky on a summers day round here.

over a year ago

https://youtu.be/_u4Md_aXVJE

try this its amazing its my ringtone

over a year ago

The Lanc did two low passes over the runway at Manchester last Sunday. It was awesome

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

There is no mistakeing a spitfire when one occasionally flies over from the sound of the engine, to celebrate 40 years aniversary after the battle of britain we had a low flyover over where we live of a spitfire a vulcan and of all planes a boeing airliner.

By *he Secret Tea PartyCouple
over a year ago

London

The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight are here in Lincs and see them often

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Sat watching a film earlier this afternoon when my ears picked up on the unmistakable sound of Merlin engines. I shot outside to see the Lancaster Bomber flying overhead nice n low. What a truly fabulous sound they make,its like music of the highest quality to my ears. Sad...but true.

We were walking the dog round wessenden when it flew over very very low, wasn't sure what plane it was though"

It was low wasn't it,stunning flying over the hills.

over a year ago

"Sat watching a film earlier this afternoon when my ears picked up on the unmistakable sound of Merlin engines. I shot outside to see the Lancaster Bomber flying overhead nice n low. What a truly fabulous sound they make,its like music of the highest quality to my ears. Sad...but true.

We were walking the dog round wessenden when it flew over very very low, wasn't sure what plane it was though

It was low wasn't it,stunning flying over the hills."

Probably been to Blackpool air show

By *edfred77Couple
over a year ago

warrington

I belive it was the blackpool airshow rhis weekend

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

we live under the flight path for the Sunderland air show and get them all flying over our house, some times twice as they return to base. It's a fantastic sound.

By *rbane PlayerMan
over a year ago

London

"Sat watching a film earlier this afternoon when my ears picked up on the unmistakable sound of Merlin engines. I shot outside to see the Lancaster Bomber flying overhead nice n low. What a truly fabulous sound they make,its like music of the highest quality to my ears. Sad...but true."

Not sad at all! Those planes along with the Spitfire, Hurricane, and Mosquito are some of the best of British engineering. I would have loved to have been able to hear and see it.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

I've had a Lancaster go over my house 3 times in the last week, twice it was with a Spitfire.

I could hear them coming and looked out for them as they sound very different from modern engines.

I live in a low fly zone so I regularly get a C130 Hercules go down the valley, sure he just skims the tree tops, makes the house shake

over a year ago

"The Vulcan and both Lanc's flew over tbe new bomber memorial in Lincoln in a Vee formation. Absolutely amazing moment.

You could imagine the Vulcan going as slow as poss with the two Lanc's trying to keep up.

"

Both designed by the same bloke (Roy Chadwick) - clever chap.

Was nice to see the BBMF warbirds in formation at RIAT this year, but the sound of those 8 gorgeous engines, was annoyingly drowned out, by the Taiko Drummers.

Heading down for Eastbourne for the show next weekend. Hope it stays dry.

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Only two flying Lancasters left in the world...

Was lucky enough to stand beneath them as they did a low level formation fly past..

The earth actually shook as they flew over.."

There are 19 of them ready to go but locked away ATM. Peter Jackson was meant to remake the damn busters but it's not come to fruition.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Spitfire comes close but yes the Lanc is good.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"https://youtu.be/_u4Md_aXVJE

try this its amazing its my ringtone "

Try this one Taff

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprfH5ZsAHk

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Forty years ago in London heard unmistakable sound of Merlins above the ten tenths cloud cover. Amazingly the cloud parted for a fleeting second to reveal the Lancaster then it was gone but for the sound of those wonderful engines. Have often thought about that miraculous sedden break in the clouds.

over a year ago

"Seems to be a lack of female response to this thread.

Obviously never heard a merlin in full volume. "

Heres a female who loves Lancasters. Very obsessed with them infact

over a year ago

Love military planes old and new

By *hips n Furs OP   Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"I've had a Lancaster go over my house 3 times in the last week, twice it was with a Spitfire.

I could hear them coming and looked out for them as they sound very different from modern engines.

I live in a low fly zone so I regularly get a C130 Hercules go down the valley, sure he just skims the tree tops, makes the house shake "

Its the same where I live,military aircraft are always low because of the flight paths of Manchester and Leeds airports.

over a year ago

I used to be at Coningsby, managed to clamber all round the Lancaster only on the ground alas but still fantastic. The turrets are tight.

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I quite like the sound of a class 37 engine or a class 55 engine

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

I saw the lancaster fly over matlock bath this afternoon.brill to watch and hear it as it flew along side the river and cliff

over a year ago

Think it was last year but when the Lancaster flew to this country via Iceland it actually flew down virtually the full length of my street and very low, it was fantastic.

over a year ago

"I quite like the sound of a class 37 engine or a class 55 engine "

Pity you are so far North... they'll be running a pair of Class 37's at GWSR diesel gala, 7/8th October.

Don't think I've ever heard a Deltic but a good 37 thrash can be quite enjoyable

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"Only beaten by a whining Vulcan!

The Vulcan is a magical sound too,but I'd love to get hold of a Merlin engine and fit it in to a Rat Rod. I would truly be happy as a pig in shit with a permanent hard on."

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

The Vulcan is a magical sound too,but I'd love to get hold of a Merlin engine and fit it in to a Rat Rod. I would truly be happy as a pig in shit with a permanent hard on."

if your gonna go that far may as well go for the griffon for the extra cc and torque

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I quite like the sound of a class 37 engine or a class 55 engine

Pity you are so far North... they'll be running a pair of Class 37's at GWSR diesel gala, 7/8th October.

Don't think I've ever heard a Deltic but a good 37 thrash can be quite enjoyable "

37's run all the time up here. Same with class 47 56 even the odd class 20. Scotrail run a Sunday steam special with an old diesel at the other end.

over a year ago

Has to be the Vulcan or Concorde for me, however that said I can recognise a Merlin from miles away.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

I found some Griffons for sale in the USA if anyone is interested...

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

"I found some Griffons for sale in the USA if anyone is interested..."

How much by fedex?

By *entlemanDMan
over a year ago

Fareham

Just read today about all of the BBMF Merlin engined planes being grounded due to a fault being found. Hopefully they can fix it soon and be back in service.

There's a Seafire that flies over Pompey every now and then, a truly unmistakable sound that never fails to get my head tilted to the sky.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"I found some Griffons for sale in the USA if anyone is interested...

How much by fedex?"

I am sure he could give you a price, he shipped something like 50 over from Europe a few years ago...

I could afford the engine but the shipping and the divorce would make it a bit too expensive...

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"It's the air show at Eastbourne soon and hopefully a Lancaster and a spitfire and a hurricane will fly over. Coolio. "

Or not....

By *elson61Man
over a year ago

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

A howling Vulcan if you please Which still doesn't beat the sound of a Merlin on full power with the supercharger whining

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Can we crowd fund a Tiger Moth? And maybe that beautiful girl who pilots the Lancaster could take us for a spin?

over a year ago

Hubby & I were at Duxford about a month ago and the Lancaster was just being bought out of the hanger after having some restoration work done and they had it on the hardstand starting the engines up one by one and what a sound..Truly breathtaking to hear! Certainly attracted quite a crowd

Her

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

To conform what was mentioned a couple of days ago, it's true that a fault has been found in a Merlin engine, this fault being an essential pin of some kind.

The experts within the private contractors who maintain the aircraft have never cone across this fault before, but it is considered too dangerous to fly the plane.

Thus ALL aircraft in the UK with Merlin engines, including the BBMF planes are grounded indefinitely until the cause and remedy are found.

over a year ago

Good job there's still a few Griffon-engined variants around, like the one at Eastbourne this weekend.

Wonder if the fault affects the Packard-built US Merlins (as used in Mustangs)?

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

There is an engineering company where we used to live and the guy that owns it has a Merlin for static displays.

B helped him build a Viper(correct me if I'm wrong) that was used also. Both on you tube somewhere.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

[Removed by poster at 10/09/17 18:32:00]

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

those of you who love merlins are gonna love this https://www.facebook.com/spitfirethefeaturedoc/videos/1446629308753544/

over a year ago

I'm sure Brian Johnson has a car with a merlin engine? was on top gear

over a year ago

"To conform what was mentioned a couple of days ago, it's true that a fault has been found in a Merlin engine, this fault being an essential pin of some kind.

The experts within the private contractors who maintain the aircraft have never cone across this fault before, but it is considered too dangerous to fly the plane.

Thus ALL aircraft in the UK with Merlin engines, including the BBMF planes are grounded indefinitely until the cause and remedy are found."

Back in the air- there's a single driveshaft that powers both magnitos and one has cracked or chipped - thus it's a single source of failure.

Apparently a fix has been approved and most of the Merlin fleet is getting back on it's feet

over a year ago

Only beaten by Concorde!

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

Only beaten by Concorde! "

Chinook wins it for me, it's unmistakably unique sound, and it's visual prowess, combined with the technicalities of having 2 rotors.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I love the rumble of a spitfire noodling around on a summer day

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

"I love the rumble of a spitfire noodling around on a summer day "

Over Hull we get Typhoons circling the skies, they have an almighty roar at low altitude.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"I love the rumble of a spitfire noodling around on a summer day

Over Hull we get Typhoons circling the skies, they have an almighty roar at low altitude."

Not a real Typhoon, non of them flying, infact don't think there are any left at all...

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

"I love the rumble of a spitfire noodling around on a summer day

Over Hull we get Typhoons circling the skies, they have an almighty roar at low altitude.

Not a real Typhoon, non of them flying, infact don't think there are any left at all..."

The RAF have 143 in service.

over a year ago

A chap my boss knows has got a working Rolls-Royce Griffon 130 engine,I almost jizzed a rainbow when he fired it up,what a sound!!

Post new Message to Thread