Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Urine infection.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

got a wee wee infection, so I'm grumpy. I'm drinking extra water and I'm taking vitamin c. Should I pop to the quacks n get a wee bottle for testing or should I just carry on treating at home? Also anyone got any more tips on getting clear? Think it's quite bad as I'm leaking bits of wee and my kidneys hurt.

Sad n grumpy PTU xxx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

If your kidneys hurt. Docs. Now.

I was a day away from hospitalisation with my last one. I didn't realise how serious it was.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Leaking wee and kidneys hurt!? Get to the Doctor I think, that doesn't sound good xx

Probably nowt to worry about but better safe than sorry and they'll be able to prescribe effective medicine

over a year ago

Go to the Drs they will give you antibiotics and drink cranberry juice.

over a year ago

"If your kidneys hurt. Docs. Now.

I was a day away from hospitalisation with my last one. I didn't realise how serious it was."

over a year ago

" got a wee wee infection, so I'm grumpy. I'm drinking extra water and I'm taking vitamin c. Should I pop to the quacks n get a wee bottle for testing or should I just carry on treating at home? Also anyone got any more tips on getting clear? Think it's quite bad as I'm leaking bits of wee and my kidneys hurt.

Sad n grumpy PTU xxx"

Drink lots of cranberry juice

By *a Fee VerteWoman
over a year ago

Limbo

Doctors!! and I'd insist on an urgent appointment. You do NOT want a kidney infection, it's agony - though if your kidneys already hurt they might already be affected and you'll need antibiotics.

Lots of water in the meantime, and/or cranberry juice.

over a year ago

Ok thanks guys. Gotta stay in for a fire inspection but I'll go asap. Did half expect you would say go to docs. I'm on first name terms with the receptionist . Xxx

over a year ago

Drs today. No mucking around.

over a year ago

get a sample - go to the docs or walk in centre - get it dipped and get some trimethoprine - miracle pills

over a year ago

"get a sample - go to the docs or walk in centre - get it dipped and get some trimethoprine - miracle pills "
just phoned no appointments today but she said pop in for a bottle n get an appointment tomorrow. X

over a year ago

Cranberry juice is good.....but it can turn your wee a funny colour lol!

over a year ago

I would go to the walk in centre, these things can wreak havoc with your kidneys and are agony. Don't put it off x

over a year ago

"get a sample - go to the docs or walk in centre - get it dipped and get some trimethoprine - miracle pills just phoned no appointments today but she said pop in for a bottle n get an appointment tomorrow. X "

ask for a spare bottle - ready for next time - saves a trip -

over a year ago

"get a sample - go to the docs or walk in centre - get it dipped and get some trimethoprine - miracle pills just phoned no appointments today but she said pop in for a bottle n get an appointment tomorrow. X "

Good, I got hospitalised last time they can be pretty serious. I spent days in bed delirious, made me quite ill x

over a year ago

Cranberry juice and warfarin (blood thinner), don't go well together. Just in case you are on them

over a year ago

Don't leave it till tomorrow. If your kidneys are hurting it needs to be felt with asap. Go to a walk in centre or ring 111 and tell them that your gp can't see you till tomorrow.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I was told that cranberry juice is a good preventative measure as it creates a barrier but isn't actually any help once the infection is already there.

over a year ago

"I was told that cranberry juice is a good preventative measure as it creates a barrier but isn't actually any help once the infection is already there."

It sort of creates a non stick film on the bladder, making it less likely for bacteria, to 'get a hold'

over a year ago

You need to go to doctors asap . Hope you feel better soon

over a year ago

"Cranberry juice and warfarin (blood thinner), don't go well together. Just in case you are on them "
that's one I'm not on. xxx

over a year ago

"Cranberry juice and warfarin (blood thinner), don't go well together. Just in case you are on them that's one I'm not on. xxx"

Hallelujah

over a year ago

App chemists do urine infection test kits, £15 can't afford atm but handy to know. Xxx

over a year ago

"App chemists do urine infection test kits, £15 can't afford atm but handy to know. Xxx"

think you know damn well when you have one - if youre prone - bet the kits dont give out the pill to fix

over a year ago

you can buythe dip strips for way less than that

over a year ago

Yea I thought that too. Xx

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Walk in clinic would probably be the best bet

over a year ago

You need antibiotics if you have pain with a urine infection babe.

You need to go to your GP.

As a preventative measure in future, cranberry juice (no added sugar variety) lots of water and make sure where possible you urinate whenever you get the urge.

Try to be careful when you wipe after going to the loo not to transfer poo/bacteria to the front.

Also if diabetes is a issue, in the family, and you get urine infections frequently, it is worth getting checked because they are common in sufferers of diabetes.

Until you get to Doctor, continue drinking plenty of water....

cut the vitamin C for now - it's too acidic and will irritate the lining of the bladder/urether (tube that carries urine out of the body) further which won't help.

over a year ago

"You need antibiotics if you have pain with a urine infection babe.

As a preventative measure in future, cranberry juice (no added sugar variety) lots of water and make sure where possible you urinate whenever you get the urge.

Try to be careful when you wipe after going to the loo not to transfer poo/bacteria to the front.

Also if diabetes is a issue, in the family, and you get urine infections frequently, it is worth getting checked because they are common in sufferers of diabetes.

cut the vitamin C for now - it's too acidic and will irritate the lining of the bladder/urether (tube that carries urine out of the body) further which won't help. "

Google sayes vit c will help as in inhibits bacteria growth in the bladder and uriethra. Xxx

over a year ago

If you've had issues before, get some medical help.

You do not want kidney damage.

A warm bath and hot water bottle can help til.you get better.

over a year ago

cut the vitamin C for now - it's too acidic and will irritate the lining of the bladder/urether (tube that carries urine out of the body) further which won't help.

Google sayes vit c will help as in inhibits bacteria growth in the bladder and uriethra. Xxx"

It will help, as a preventative measure, but not whilst you have the symptoms as it is asorbic acid and it will cause further irritation and inflammation to the delicate walls of the bladder (a bit like rubbing salt into a weeping wound)

cranberry juice is better, it helps prevent bacteria from gathering in the bladder and it contains enough Vit C

over a year ago

Google sayes vit c will help as in inhibits bacteria growth in the bladder and uriethra. Xxx

It will help, as a preventative measure, but not whilst you have the symptoms as it is asorbic acid and it will cause further irritation and inflammation to the delicate walls of the bladder (a bit like rubbing salt into a weeping wound)

cranberry juice is better, it helps prevent bacteria from gathering in the bladder and it contains enough Vit C

"

I beg to differ that it's the other way round but thanks xxx

By *andtsurreyCouple
over a year ago

Torbay

And if you get antibiotics make sure you drink or take some probiotic too. Put some good stuff back in xx

Ps i feel your pain...uti expert here sadly

T

By *randMrs Spanish BrunetteCouple
over a year ago

home sweet home

I hope you went to the doctors and you are feeling bettet

over a year ago

Got a wee bottle and an appointment for the morning. Xxx

By *RH and HRNCouple
over a year ago

Carmarthen

Cranberry Juice and Lemon Barley Water are supposed to be good for UTI's.

And blood or painful kidneys need antibiotics . . If you have a bottle take it to the walk in or GP on call . . Antibiotics take up to 24 hours to start working . . So if you wait too long it will just simply get worse. . X

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Dr's

over a year ago

"Cranberry Juice and Lemon Barley Water are supposed to be good for UTI's.

And blood or painful kidneys need antibiotics . . If you have a bottle take it to the walk in or GP on call . . Antibiotics take up to 24 hours to start working . . So if you wait too long it will just simply get worse. . X"

Thank you. Pain has actually gone so the nurse I saw briefly this aft (I grabbed her lol) sayes all the water I'm drinking is possibly all ready flushing it thro but she said pop in tomorrow n she will dip stick it to be on the safe side. X

over a year ago

This sums up the modern day person for me

Asks the internet wether to go see a doctor rather than actually ringing a doctor

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"This sums up the modern day person for me

Asks the internet wether to go see a doctor rather than actually ringing a doctor "

If you read the whole post PTU did say she had to wait in today, so couldn't get an appointment with the doc.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Drink cranberry juice and change your name to pretty pissed off

over a year ago

Asks the internet wether to go see a doctor rather than actually ringing a doctor

If you read the whole post PTU did say she had to wait in today, so couldn't get an appointment with the doc. "

Your chances of seeing a doctor on the same day as ringing are pretty slim, I wasn't meaning getting a physical appointment, more along the lines of ring the NHS helpline for advice rather than ask on here.

Just seems to me that this is the done thing now, ask social media for medical advice or advice about pets needing vet treatment etc rather than ring the services that are qualified to give proper advice.

over a year ago

Drink a shit load of cranberry juice it will be gone in a day or 2 .... nurse talking here x

By *avrick15Man
over a year ago

glasgow

Dame Judy Dench and her leaky trench

Just made me think of that little rhyme

Hope you feel better soon

Best pop into the docs

over a year ago

Cranberry tablet every day it's easier than drinking lites of juice. Though drinking is a good thing to flush the kidneys.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's vile but a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in warm water can help neutralise the acid and ease that horrible sting.

By *utie91Woman
over a year ago

Hitchin

"get a sample - go to the docs or walk in centre - get it dipped and get some trimethoprine - miracle pills just phoned no appointments today but she said pop in for a bottle n get an appointment tomorrow. X

Don't leave it till tomorrow. If your kidneys are hurting it needs to be felt with asap. Go to a walk in centre or ring 111 and tell them that your gp can't see you till tomorrow. "

Don't call 111.... they just send an ambulance

Walk in centre or own gp

over a year ago

If you read the whole post PTU did say she had to wait in today, so couldn't get an appointment with the doc.

Your chances of seeing a doctor on the same day as ringing are pretty slim, I wasn't meaning getting a physical appointment, more along the lines of ring the NHS helpline for advice rather than ask on here.

Just seems to me that this is the done thing now, ask social media for medical advice or advice about pets needing vet treatment etc rather than ring the services that are qualified to give proper advice. "

the way our docs works is you ring on the day you need an appointment. And as for asking people of a forum I've been here neatly 5 years and I've recived better advice on all sorts of topics from my fab friends then I have my real life friends.

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

Boots do cystitis relief sachets. They turn your urine alkaline which reduces the pain.

Doc told me he thought the cranberry thing was probably a myth but it doesn't hurt especially if it helps keep up the fluid intake.

over a year ago

" got a wee wee infection, so I'm grumpy. I'm drinking extra water and I'm taking vitamin c. Should I pop to the quacks n get a wee bottle for testing or should I just carry on treating at home? Also anyone got any more tips on getting clear? Think it's quite bad as I'm leaking bits of wee and my kidneys hurt.

Sad n grumpy PTU xxx"

My ex always used to have bladder infections. Cranberry juice was the most common recommendation.

Best practice is of course to go and see a doctor just in case it's something more serious than you think.

If it's not serious they may or may not perscribed antibiotics depending on thier policy

over a year ago

Asks the internet wether to go see a doctor rather than actually ringing a doctor "

Dunno about you but when I ring the doctor I get told "yep no problem first available non emergency apointment is in 2 weeks"....

So for anything minor the doctor is put of the question.

over a year ago

Just seems to me that this is the done thing now, ask social media for medical advice or advice about pets needing vet treatment etc rather than ring the services that are qualified to give proper advice. "

You realise it's always been the done thing right?

It's just now you get to witness it.

People have for all of history asked thier friends and family for advice. It's just now their friends can be found on forums such as this

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

Sodium bicarbonate mixed with water. Basically baking powder with water will decrease acidity and increase alkalinity. High levels of Alkalinity will not cause discomfort. It is the acidity. PH balance is the key .

over a year ago

"And if you get antibiotics make sure you drink or take some probiotic too. Put some good stuff back in xx

T "

Probiotics don't work. You've got this big vat of churning hydrochloric acid between your mouth and your intensines it tends to kill all the bacteria in those Probiotics.

As the court case when a lot of them got sued for false claims concluded.

over a year ago

"Sodium bicarbonate mixed with water. Basically baking powder with water will decrease acidity and increase alkalinity. High levels of Alkalinity will not cause discomfort. It is the acidity. PH balance is the key . "

Again absolute total bullshit and this is the same methodology/"theory" behind those Canadian parents who's child died because they tried to use this alkaline bs to treat them.

Firstly the big vat of acid will neutralise any sodium bicarb instantly into water and salt (this is why it will cure acid reflux though).

Your blood maintains a very narrow PH band because it's required for you to live. Altering it significantly qould lead to your death. Not to mention you'd have to shoot up not swallow it.

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

It's not about blood. Its about kidney function when you wee properly. Fluid in fluid out. Too much acidic drinks = stingy wee. To counteract that needs alkalinity. Not the crackpots who think they can cure cancer.

over a year ago

"It's not about blood. Its about kidney function when you wee properly. Fluid in fluid out. Too much acidic drinks = stingy wee. To counteract that needs alkalinity. Not the crackpots who think they can cure cancer. "

That is soo dumb I'm almost amazed.

What you drink gets digested broken down and absorbed into your blood, then moved to your liver, then around your body, looping back through the kidneys where it's filtered.

It doesn't majically go from your stomach to your kidney.

Any acid or base component to it is delt with long before the kidney because it would affect your whole body.

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

My Biology teacher must have been wrong. Perhaps she was at the same teacher training college as your English teacher.

over a year ago

"And if you get antibiotics make sure you drink or take some probiotic too. Put some good stuff back in xx

T

Probiotics don't work. You've got this big vat of churning hydrochloric acid between your mouth and your intensines it tends to kill all the bacteria in those Probiotics.

As the court case when a lot of them got sued for false claims concluded.

"

The bit about the probiotics is not strictly correct.

The digestive enzymes in the gut or stomach are specific to target and break down certain food groups into a mushy substance called chime which is then passed into the intestine for further digestion and absorption.

The good bacteria in the gut helps to aid the process, but it easily gets out of synch leading to digestive issues.

The probiotics or good bacteria help to re-balance the levels and maintain the correct PH balance in the gut and the intestines.

If the stomach enzymes destroyed everything, it would be pointless us taking any medications of any kind!

over a year ago

Just seems to me that this is the done thing now, ask social media for medical advice or advice about pets needing vet treatment etc rather than ring the services that are qualified to give proper advice.

You realise it's always been the done thing right?

It's just now you get to witness it.

People have for all of history asked thier friends and family for advice. It's just now their friends can be found on forums such as this"

You've proved my point perfectly In your replies above, you're calling others advice bullshit or dumb, so someone has to be wrong, it could well be you that's wrong, despite calling other people wrong. Can you see what I'm getting at here?

Being in the OPs situation, I'd just ring the NHS direct and follow their advice, either keep on with home treatment, or if it's serious enough get a note put into your file by them which would give you some chance of getting into the doctors quicker. If it's serious enough they will get you in the same day.

over a year ago

Forgot to add in the post above that the GP will almost always prescribe antibiotics (Trimethoprim) in the cases of urine infections. They tend to be very 'stubborn' and hard to get rid of once the bacteria that cause them take hold (another reason to go to GP asap) and the doctor does not want to risk there being a more serious infection.

The first line of defence against these pesky infections is usually a 7 day course and that's it gone unless it's a particularly bad one

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

Sugar Puffs. ? They must bypass blood function. stomach acid. Immunity system . After a bowlfull

of them and milk wee smells like sugar puffs. Try eating or drinking capsaicin then see if the body breaks down everything. Or you could keep sniffing your bell whiff.

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

Sorry . Posted instead of pm . Oops

over a year ago

"Sugar Puffs. ? They must bypass blood function. stomach acid. Immunity system . After a bowlfull

of them and milk wee smells like sugar puffs. Try eating or drinking capsaicin then see if the body breaks down everything. Or you could keep sniffing your bell whiff.

"

This is because of the high sugar content in them....

However if your urine smells sweet or like 'pear drops' that is a heck of a good indicator of diabetes.

There should never be such high quantities of sugar in urine that it smells sweet.

I could be wrong, but this is definitely worth checking out.

(If you are diabetic, sweet urine is usual but worth checking your BM' s to ensure that they are not too high or low)

over a year ago

"Sugar Puffs. ? They must bypass blood function. stomach acid. Immunity system . After a bowlfull

"

Neither of which change your blood pH.

But you say bicarbonate of soda will change your pee.

The second the bicarbonate hits your stomach this happens.

HCl + NaCO3 H2CO3 + NaCl

And then

H2CO3 H2O + CO2.

The final products being water, sodium chloride (table salt) and CO2 gas (which you burp out)

So how is that going to affect your urine ph? (Outside of sodium levels maybe, in which case why not just drink salt water?)

over a year ago

Bah the forum doesn't recognise the greater than symbol

HCl + NaCO3 - H2CO3 + NaCl

And then

H2CO3 - H2O + CO2.

over a year ago

By *hell and jWoman
over a year ago

doncaster

Docs now x antibiotics xx

over a year ago

I hope you're feeling better PTU.

Cranberry juice is great for helping with a urine infection.

Hopefully you've got in with Drs or the practice nurse as cystitis is really nasty.

Keep drinking lots even though it'll be the last thing you feel like doing. You need to flush your system through. Xx

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I know cranberry juice is often suggested as a preventative or cure for cystitis but the evidence is really varied. Personally I feel nothing helps bacterial cystitis other than antibiotics.

over a year ago

Your all brilliant I do actually love you all. You never fail to make me smile.

Anyway no infection so that's good. But it is my dam fibro another happy symptom. Doc said keep pushing fluids (I'm not an old buddy hahaha) and make sure I wee regularly. I'm never off the dam toilet. On n empty my bladder fully.

PTU xxx

over a year ago

Oh n he said cranberry juice or tabs as it puts I'm film on your wee wee pipes bladder n kidneys that helps to stop bad bacteria sticking. Xx

Post new Message to Thread