Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Own mortgage vrs housing benefit

Jump to newest

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

I was having a chat with a friend the other day and it centred on benefits and stuff.

If you fall on hard times through sickness/accident/ redundancy etc, and you have a mortgage, do you get help to pay at all?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"I was having a chat with a friend the other day and it centred on benefits and stuff.

If you fall on hard times through sickness/accident/ redundancy etc, and you have a mortgage, do you get help to pay at all? "

Through insurance

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

No your on your own

never understood why renters get help but a mortgage doesn't

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I was having a chat with a friend the other day and it centred on benefits and stuff.

If you fall on hard times through sickness/accident/ redundancy etc, and you have a mortgage, do you get help to pay at all? "

when i went thru redundancy with the railways 5 years ago they did, because the amount to with i would have been paying on my mortgage is less than what i would have been entitled to in housing benefit......

i think it covers you up to a certain level... but that is why mortgage providers normally make you take out some sort of cover just in case of these situations....

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

If you fall on hard times through sickness/accident/ redundancy etc, and you have a mortgage, do you get help to pay at all?

when i went thru redundancy with the railways 5 years ago they did, because the amount to with i would have been paying on my mortgage is less than what i would have been entitled to in housing benefit......

i think it covers you up to a certain level... but that is why mortgage providers normally make you take out some sort of cover just in case of these situations...."

Yeah, when my ex was made redundant there was insurance that he took out when getting the mortgage that covered it. He was only out of work 6 weeks tho.

By *lacksausage OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

How about ordinary benefits and stuff?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When I split from my my ex I got working/child tax credits but I can't get any help towards my mortgage even though I pay it totally on my own on a part time wage

If I was renting I would be able to claim some form of housing benefit but as a homeowner, no.

over a year ago

There is a cap on housing benefits that quite often leaves a significant shortfall compared to rent. When I was out of work, my full rent was only payable for 13 weeks amd I think it's even tighter now

over a year ago

I was made redundant march last year due to the collapse in the oil & gas sector. First time unemployed. I asked my so called work coach at dwp if i was entitled to morgage help. I was told no within a second. I checked my rights & it transpired you do get help. Dwp pays a percentage.i challenged my work coach who denied i ask then said to deal with it the next visit. This delaying tactic would have cost me dearly as from 1st april 2016 the waiting time for mortgage help changed from 13 weeks waiting to 39 weeks. If your unsure then check the net or citizens advice. Dont take dwps word as i was lied to my face but i knew the law

over a year ago

Not show now but used to be the case that the interest on a mortgage was paid but if it still is then should the taxpayer get a rebate when the house is sold of the house price had appreciated during the unemployed period?

over a year ago

"Not show now but used to be the case that the interest on a mortgage was paid but if it still is then should the taxpayer get a rebate when the house is sold of the house price had appreciated during the unemployed period?"

I think that is why they only pay interest...as opposed to the full mortgage amount.....also some are trapped in negative equity...so how would that work?

over a year ago

I think, don't hold me to it but you may get help, with interest or at least thay used to. Van

over a year ago

"Not show now but used to be the case that the interest on a mortgage was paid but if it still is then should the taxpayer get a rebate when the house is sold of the house price had appreciated during the unemployed period?

I think that is why they only pay interest...as opposed to the full mortgage amount.....also some are trapped in negative equity...so how would that work?"

Obviously if no increase in value then no payback. Interest was only paid so equity wasn't paid off but that doesn't mean during the claim period the house value could increase. Let's say you have a house in London and you're unemployed for 12 months the value would probably go up tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds without it costing you a penny.

over a year ago

as far as I know you can still get help with the interest but there are rules and you have to be on certain benefits to qualify

over a year ago

"Not show now but used to be the case that the interest on a mortgage was paid but if it still is then should the taxpayer get a rebate when the house is sold of the house price had appreciated during the unemployed period?

I think that is why they only pay interest...as opposed to the full mortgage amount.....also some are trapped in negative equity...so how would that work?

Obviously if no increase in value then no payback. Interest was only paid so equity wasn't paid off but that doesn't mean during the claim period the house value could increase. Let's say you have a house in London and you're unemployed for 12 months the value would probably go up tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds without it costing you a penny."

I kinda get what your saying....but if it is taken off the ones who make a profit in that time....it's the ones outside of London who may make a loss that would dissolve the issue.

over a year ago

"No your on your own

never understood why renters get help but a mortgage doesn't "

You get the the interest paid on the mortgage after a period of time ..it's called housing benefit but watch out as the council will spy like fuck on you to see wgats going in if you get giving them the slip

over a year ago

They will pay the interest only on your mortgage but only after around 30 weeks . Always best to just phone your provider and explain you can sometimes get a payment break

over a year ago

Not sure now but when mum divorced dad she didn't get any help with the mortgage for 39 weeks...

over a year ago

"No your on your own

You get the the interest paid on the mortgage after a period of time ..it's called housing benefit but watch out as the council will spy like fuck on you to see wgats going in if you get giving them the slip "

How dare they

over a year ago

"I was made redundant march last year due to the collapse in the oil & gas sector. First time unemployed. I asked my so called work coach at dwp if i was entitled to morgage help. I was told no within a second. I checked my rights & it transpired you do get help. Dwp pays a percentage.i challenged my work coach who denied i ask then said to deal with it the next visit. This delaying tactic would have cost me dearly as from 1st april 2016 the waiting time for mortgage help changed from 13 weeks waiting to 39 weeks. If your unsure then check the net or citizens advice. Dont take dwps word as i was lied to my face but i knew the law"

over a year ago

"No your on your own

You get the the interest paid on the mortgage after a period of time ..it's called housing benefit but watch out as the council will spy like fuck on you to see wgats going in if you get giving them the slip "

Are you saying the taxpayer's employee, that's what the council basically are, would check to ensure you're not defrauding them?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Obviously if no increase in value then no payback. Interest was only paid so equity wasn't paid off but that doesn't mean during the claim period the house value could increase. Let's say you have a house in London and you're unemployed for 12 months the value would probably go up tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds without it costing you a penny."

This is where I struggle with the whole own your own home or rent thing.

We have always owned our own homes, but if we had come out of work by the sounds of it you don't get much help, but the little help you would have got it is expected by some to pay some of it back....yet a person we know who has rented all his life most of the time out of work so has had his rent paid, yet he wouldn't be expected to pay anyone anything back?

The same with when we get older and need to go into a home, the house will be sold to pay for the care, yet the person renting wouldn't have to pay.

Sometimes I think you are better off if you don't buy

over a year ago

Your better off with home ownership.Just pass on the equity to your kids before you get older or spend it before the government takes it.Inherited wealth is important to keep you descendents on the way up.

over a year ago

The system has encouraged people to work hard scrimp and save all life to pay off a mortgage on a house to own something tangable

Yet we now have a situation where our those who spent everything they earned and saved nothing perhaps relying on a lifetime living in the rented sector

Both examples reach the point in life they need care, one is expected to pay for that care the other gets it paid for them.......

It totally sucks

over a year ago

Obviously if no increase in value then no payback. Interest was only paid so equity wasn't paid off but that doesn't mean during the claim period the house value could increase. Let's say you have a house in London and you're unemployed for 12 months the value would probably go up tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds without it costing you a penny.

This is where I struggle with the whole own your own home or rent thing.

We have always owned our own homes, but if we had come out of work by the sounds of it you don't get much help, but the little help you would have got it is expected by some to pay some of it back....yet a person we know who has rented all his life most of the time out of work so has had his rent paid, yet he wouldn't be expected to pay anyone anything back?

The same with when we get older and need to go into a home, the house will be sold to pay for the care, yet the person renting wouldn't have to pay.

Sometimes I think you are better off if you don't buy "

Thought along the same lines and what I intend to do is sign the house over to the kids thus avoiding inheritance tax. I've also rationalised out about renting/buying, you have to live somewhere, so what I think is rent then the house is never yours but buy and at worst the house value will still be the same but they tend to appreciate.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

pay as much as you can on your mortgage, if you loose your job you can ask the bank to stop payments and they will as long as what you have overpaid such as you overpaid 6000, then they will allow a 6000 stop on payments but after that allowance has been used you have to pay full monthly payments. always pay as much as you can or save in a bank account for the worst case.

dont go wasting money like most people that take out car loans for posh cars that will take them over 10+ years to pay off.

i dont think you can get benefits towards a mortgage as everyone would do it.

By *orum TrollWoman
over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

"Your better off with home ownership.Just pass on the equity to your kids before you get older or spend it before the government takes it.Inherited wealth is important to keep you descendents on the way up."

this is a good idea.

get your kids to rent it out to you also and claim housing benefit for that. this pays for repairs.

fuck the system.

over a year ago

"never understood why renters get help but a mortgage doesn't "

Cos they can't repossess your house if you're renting it

By *candiumWoman
over a year ago

oban

I was made redundant last year. There is limited help in tgat there is a system to help pay your intrest but that's all. Watch out for insurance too, mine decided i had too much money coming in for it to pay up, even though i didn't have enough to cover the mortgage.

Post new Message to Thread