Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Privacy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This has been bugging me for a few days an just wanted to pretty much get it out of my head an see what people thought.

A few days ago I seen somebodies status sayin to add them on a certain social media site, with their real life name as part of their username. I thought this was a bit lax on their behalf and wondered how secure their social media was, within a few minutes I had found out more than enough info on them, covering most aspects of their life.

Given the things I seen I messaged said person about this (first time I had messaged them) as I felt a bit uneasy about how easy their life was exposed. I was basically told that they didnt care, which is fair enough!

My question is this, was I right or wrong to let them know about the potential issues sharing too much personal info to random strangers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

More than likely a false name , I had a friend years and years ago that was lax with his security , we tried telling him and he wouldn't listen , so we hacked him and left him a message , he wasn't happy but he soon changed his ways

over a year ago

It really wasnt, face pics visible on here and on social media, their username on here has no connection at all to their real name either!

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

Some ppl just don't think so it's nice that you cared enough to message. I warn ppl I care about of various things all the time x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

some people really mustnt care or are just very open about their lifestyle - up to them but not my thing and i wouldnt meet up with someone like that as i feel my name would be attached within moments

over a year ago

I'm always careful that my private info isn't attached to anything here. Though have just been talking to a couple and she knows a hell of a lot about me. The perils of keeping it local. X

over a year ago

Its scarey how easy you can find out about someones life!

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I'd always be weary about something like that. Catfish maybe. They might have been? trying to get other people's Facebook info when people added them.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It could well be someone being malicious , I would report to Admin just in case

over a year ago

I'm suspicions of people who are willing to openly share private information on sites like this and suspect they are less inclined to protect any private information I might share with them....

Which is one of the primary reason I see no value in publically displaying friend lists and verification .....

Post new Message to Thread