By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"should all our police be armed now and would it help to stop terror attack

Not sure. And NO"

Agree 100%

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

I wouldnt be against an armed police presence at major events and perhaps airports and train stations

That's just places off the top of my head. I think armed police walking the beat would be a bit much though

over a year ago

I'm not ready to admit defeat .....

over a year ago

No

I for one dont want to turn into American society.

Also i think it would encorage more criminals in general to carry guns.

over a year ago

No cos some police officers are dick heads as it is, give them guns to carry and they'd be even worse.

I think we should have armed police at train stations, shopping centres and at all big events but I don't think every police officer should be armed.

They'd need to be trained anyway which would cost a lot of money.

I do think it would be a good idea to let soldiers in the uk that aren't on exercise, they should be allowed to just walk about places and patrol if they want to. They wouldn't need to be armed but they could have guns on show but no ammo!

By *orum TrollWoman
over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

dunno. what are the advantages and disadvantages of having/not having guns as of now?

By *rMrs CumalotCouple
over a year ago

East Mids

I think the majority of our police force should be armed, every other country has armed police. Armed doesn't necessarily mean a gun, minimum they should all have tasers. No it won't stop any more terror incidents but maybe we can get that fast at responding they realise it just isn't worth it

Mrs

over a year ago

No, it doesnt work, you cant fight a ideology, it is too late, first of all they have to admit it is a problem and not wash it away, but I wouldnt mind seeing them armed.

over a year ago

No, but it could help stop 'some' attacks. That said, if it deters one form of attack, other forms will be resorted to instead.

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"should all our police be armed now and would it help to stop terror attack"

1 Yes

2 not shor probley not.

over a year ago

I have never agreed with it....but 4 police personal were badly injured last night who were unarmed. I know some were off duty and would not have had a gun with them! But it does make you think there might have been a different outcome had they had guns. But after saying that I'm still undecided at this time.

over a year ago

No I dont think they should. Even if theyre armed they need to be in the right place at the right time which relies on intelligence services being able to get them there.

The consequences for someone carrying out these kind of attacks are irrelevant if they believe in what they are doing. Even if they are stopped before they carry out their actions they still get the same glory for attempting.

over a year ago

I doubt if the majority of police would want to be armed. My sister is a copper and there's some coppers at her station that wont even drive a police car.

Would I feel safer if they were all armed? Not really. Theres been enough mistakes with tasers.

Would it stop terrorist attacks? Almost definately not.

over a year ago

There's probably my armed people in my area than armed police in country it is a bit worrying lool

over a year ago

Absolutely yes.

First responder officers would have a better chance of dealing with the immediate threat instead of having to wait for armed response units.

If it means our police officers being able to immobilise or contain the perpetrators, therefore saving lives in the process then it has to be a good thing.

The world is a different place now with nasty bastards wishing to do us harm.I'd rather the police managed to put bullets into them as early as possible before they can commit their barbarism and take the lives of innocent men ,women and children on the streets and social areas of our towns and cities.

Using harsh language and waving a baton isn't enough to deter the nasty people anymore.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Think the guy at the Houses of Parliament might have thought they should.

Spent a lot of time in northern Island when the troubles were high.

I remember being stopped at a checkpoint, three or four times.

I asked my client, 'doesn't it bother you?'

His answer was, 'I prefer this than the consequences of them not.'

over a year ago

Maybe more having taser training rather than guns. I don't think guns will solve the problem, every time a police officer fires a taser they have to justify their actions, imagine all the problems America has with guns and shooting people.

I think shooting electric volts into someone is a good way to go tho

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I doubt if the majority of police would want to be armed. My sister is a copper and there's some coppers at her station that wont even drive a police car.

Would I feel safer if they were all armed? Not really. Theres been enough mistakes with tasers.

Would it stop terrorist attacks? Almost definately not. "

pretty much this, close relative is a DI and she was asked at PC and Sgt ranks if she was 'interested' in taking up the role and despite being ex military was not and is not interested..

the trouble with making it compulsory is you then need to essentially lower the level of testing, training etc for the role as not everyone will be of the level that the armed police are at ..

and they have gotten it wrong before..

if you lower the level to suit all you may end up with some who may be hesitant or slow to engage and that's not good either..

over a year ago

"I doubt if the majority of police would want to be armed. My sister is a copper and there's some coppers at her station that wont even drive a police car.

Would it stop terrorist attacks? Almost definately not. "

That's a very good point.

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

Maybe aye and maybe no.....but we're doooomed

over a year ago

Sure I just heard on the news that a member of the public suffered a gun shot wound from last nights attack, stray bullet from the armed police.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Yes the should

over a year ago

Yes they should be armed in my opinion

over a year ago

"should all our police be armed now and would it help to stop terror attack

Not sure. And NO"

Tell that to the unarmed bobby at Westminster who was knifed to death. Had he have had a side arm then he would still be alive.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Yes arm them

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

no.... we change our way of life... and they win...

the everyday average policemen doesn't need to be armed... heck they don't want to be armed!!!

we have armed police squads as it is... they got there in 8 minutes last night... what more would you have liked them to do!

over a year ago

"no.... we change our way of life... and they win...

the everyday average policemen doesn't need to be armed... heck they don't want to be armed!!!

we have armed police squads as it is... they got there in 8 minutes last night... what more would you have liked them to do!"

I know what you're saying but the first two bobbies at scene were unarmed and now they are both critical in hospital. The every day bobby on the street is always going to be first there, surely they not only have a right to defend themselves but a duty to defend the public, how can they when they have a metal stick and some spray.

By *ischief ManagedCouple
over a year ago

manchester

I dont agree all should be armed no however,i do believe all stations should have a percentage of armed police within them and all should be firearmed trained.

over a year ago

Yes they should and shoot to kill terrorists enough is enough!

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

No and no

By *uteLittleGeekWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere

"I think the majority of our police force should be armed, every other country has armed police. Armed doesn't necessarily mean a gun, minimum they should all have tasers. No it won't stop any more terror incidents but maybe we can get that fast at responding they realise it just isn't worth it

Mrs "

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

No. I think fewer guns on our streets, whether officials'. Or publics'. Guns, is the right way for us.

You can't stop determined bright people from doing what they choose to, when we have such a huge area in the country that cannot possibly be covered 100% by armed staff. That's if it would even make any difference

Post new Message to Thread