Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

my two kittens

Jump to newest

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

i ended up getting two kittens 8 weeks old they are so gawjus cant get them to use the litter tray as they try eating the litter!!!! any ideas

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

Take them back, they are obviously faulty!

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Take them back, they are obviously faulty!"

haha im in love with them already lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"i ended up getting two kittens 8 weeks old they are so gawjus cant get them to use the litter tray as they try eating the litter!!!! any ideas"

I prefer your two puppys!

over a year ago

Change the litter. When the Bob down to pee lift them into the tray.

By *airymagicWoman
over a year ago

goblin city

Change the litter alot of kittens prefer the wood pellets

Congrats

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

Mine used to eat the litter but they will stop doing it. If you cant get them to use it make sure it isnt near their food and when after you feed them put them in the litter tray. They will get the idea.

By *reeneyedbuddhaCouple
over a year ago

on tees

"Change the litter. When the Bob down to pee lift them into the tray. "
This , check what type of litter they had when with mum and use that .Also scoop the poop quickly so they cant eat that .but make sure tray isn't too far away for them to get to from wherever they are as they may be too small to hold it for long xxx

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Change the litter. When the Bob down to pee lift them into the tray. This , check what type of litter they had when with mum and use that .Also scoop the poop quickly so they cant eat that .but make sure tray isn't too far away for them to get to from wherever they are as they may be too small to hold it for long xxx"

he had not got a tray at all they had newspaper

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Change the litter. When the Bob down to pee lift them into the tray. This , check what type of litter they had when with mum and use that .Also scoop the poop quickly so they cant eat that .but make sure tray isn't too far away for them to get to from wherever they are as they may be too small to hold it for long xxx

he had not got a tray at all they had newspaper "

There's your answer, they don't understand what the litters for. Put some newspaper in the litter tray or lay newspaper all round the tray and remove a sheet a day until the only option is the litter tray. Kittens are SO cute and rewarding I'm insanely jealous

over a year ago

Im soooooooo jealous. Id say the same w changing the litter. You can get paper pelled stuffs too. I think at that age they just see the litter as another toy so mess is to be expected! Sometimes even having more than the one tray is a good idea. Good luck!!!

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

It is recommended to have one litter tray per cat plus one extra. We have 2 cats and 2 trays, we don't have anywhere to put another one and it doesn't seem to make a big difference anyway.

You could try lining the tray with newspaper and also stand the tray on top of some too. If they are used to paper they may not know that the litter is for toileting. Our trays are always stood on paper just in case of accidents. Sometimes one of ours doesn't get his arse all the way in the tray lol.

Dont feed next to the tray, cats hate that. Keep putting them on the tray and they will get the hang of it soon.

Enjoy them, kittens are amazing

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My kittens ate litter. They soon stopped when they realised how awful it tasted. Kitty litter is only clay anyway so they won't die from it.

By *iforfun999Man
over a year ago

Haverfordwest

Haven't had that scenario, touch wood. I did change the litter tray for an automatic one which rakes through the blue crystals, moving the solids to a hidden area, 20 minutes after the cat has exited. It means I don't have to worry if I'm away for the day or too ill in bed to get up to change it (food is dried cat food in a big dispenser, ideal for the 3 other cats who come in).

It's not cheap but has paid for itself already, because since getting it, Harry (the cat) has used it twice and prefers to go outside now!

over a year ago

I have 3 cats and my last kitten was so bad with his litter tray . I asked the vet and she said don't put feed or water nere litter tray I did that and he stated too go in the litter tray.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

update changed litter to pellets my little boy cat has used it but the girl still wont

they keep sleeping on me so i could get wet

taking them for a health check tomw

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

got nothing done today cos they keep sleeping on me its sooo sweet

over a year ago

When changing the litter when they are litter training it's always best to leave a little of the old used litter in the tray that's what I did with all five of my cats. Also sometimes other cats won't use the same litter tray as another cat. So you might probably have to use two litter trays.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"When changing the litter when they are litter training it's always best to leave a little of the old used litter in the tray that's what I did with all five of my cats. Also sometimes other cats won't use the same litter tray as another cat. So you might probably have to use two litter trays. "
thats a good idea the boy does use it if caught in time

took them to the vets today and they reckon they are only 6 to 7 weeks old

over a year ago

"When changing the litter when they are litter training it's always best to leave a little of the old used litter in the tray that's what I did with all five of my cats. Also sometimes other cats won't use the same litter tray as another cat. So you might probably have to use two litter trays. thats a good idea the boy does use it if caught in time

took them to the vets today and they reckon they are only 6 to 7 weeks old "

Puppy pads are your best friend when litter training. They are really young then. My kitten never left their mother till they was 10/11 weeks

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

i did ask about their age but he assured me they were ok to leave the mum thats why i asked the vets advice today

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

At 6-7 weeks most kittens are already litter trained, they learn from mum. They usually start learning when they start weaning at 3-4 weeks. They are ready to leave mum at 8 weeks plus. It won't harm them being away from mum early, it just means they have had less time to learn how to be a cat. You might find they don't groom themselves as often as a cat which stayed with mum a bit longer. They also miss out on learning hunting skills etc.

By *iforfun999Man
over a year ago

Haverfordwest

At that age they can be quite needy towards their new mum, even when they are grown up. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but beware of jealousy from a partner. I know this from experience, when one young kitten was so doted on me, my partner thought I was giving the kitten more attention!

over a year ago

Now if I can just get a pussy to pee on me.....

By *otForSoftiesWoman
over a year ago

The North / Party Hard Everywhere

"When changing the litter when they are litter training it's always best to leave a little of the old used litter in the tray that's what I did with all five of my cats. Also sometimes other cats won't use the same litter tray as another cat. So you might probably have to use two litter trays. thats a good idea the boy does use it if caught in time

took them to the vets today and they reckon they are only 6 to 7 weeks old "

If the boy is using the litter tray make sure the girl can see as she might just need to watch to learn what to do. I'm so jealous of two little kittens. It seems like yesterday I got mine and she's grown so big now. She's a year old later this month. So cute when they're tiny and learning every new thing

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

thanks for the advice everyone

they play fight sleep play fight sleep they are really comical to watch

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

my two kittens put me in hospital after scratching my legs and causing cellulitis got out of hospital today thank you muchly

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"my two kittens put me in hospital after scratching my legs and causing cellulitis got out of hospital today thank you muchly "
welcome back hope you're ok now x

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

I've seen a cat that was toilet trained! Lazy fooker never flushed tho

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Can I borrow kittens to catch 'damned mouse!' I am sure it may change their eating habits!

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

any ideas on how to get collars on kittens without them having fits!!!!

one even managed to get it stuck over his bottom jaw so we had to cut it off him

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

"any ideas on how to get collars on kittens without them having fits!!!!

one even managed to get it stuck over his bottom jaw so we had to cut it off him"

I gave up with collars long ago. Are they chipped?

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

ps they are microchipped but hubby thinks its better to use collars too

over a year ago

"Take them back, they are obviously faulty!"

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Take them back, they are obviously faulty!

"

the kittens or the collars? lol

over a year ago

Either keep persisting, they'll soon stop fighting it or don't bother.

Mine's an indoor cat so doesn't have one but is chipped

over a year ago

Chuck them out of the window usually works

over a year ago

I have a new kitten now had her 3 weeks and she was so so small I bet only 2/3 weeks old turned up in the garden. Now she is doing well ... she is grey and white really sweet , I now have 4 , 2 boys 2 girls and she is so good ,,, shows me how hard work my boys was at her age. My cats are over my stables a lot and do there job I never see a rat thank god. x

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

If they are microchipped you don't need collars for them.

I tried and tried and tried to get my cats to keep a collar on. They always found a way to get it off and I gave up in the end.

My sister's cat used to wear a collar and used to just wander into people's houses and make herself comfortable. She used to get several phone calls a week asking her to come and fetch the cat

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

Do not used wood based litter. It can swell up and cause blockages if ingested, otherwise litter chewing is normal,x

over a year ago

I will not have collars on the cats ... as can kill your cat ... A lot have lost there cats from having collars I have them all chipped.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

"I will not have collars on the cats ... as can kill your cat ... A lot have lost there cats from having collars I have them all chipped."

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones.

over a year ago

"I will not have collars on the cats ... as can kill your cat ... A lot have lost there cats from having collars I have them all chipped.

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones. "

I would never trust them to release .. my cats are into going up trees and stuff .. I could not sleep at night . love my cats like the dogs and horses .. They are my family.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

"I will not have collars on the cats ... as can kill your cat ... A lot have lost there cats from having collars I have them all chipped.

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones. I would never trust them to release .. my cats are into going up trees and stuff .. I could not sleep at night . love my cats like the dogs and horses .. They are my family."

I've got a yr old foster cat coming tomorrow, with her 7 kittens born yesterday, my cat was a handrear I kept because of a heart murmur, she's an indoor cat though.

over a year ago

I'd say they don't need a collar if the microchip details are kept up to date - our family cat is microchipped and my mum only puts a collar on her when they take her on a narrow boat holiday as the bell alerts any little animals she tries to hunt. The collar they use also has my mum's phone number embroidered on it.

When her and her late sister were kittens, my mum tried to put collars on them, but they just chewed each other's collars off.

over a year ago

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones. I would never trust them to release .. my cats are into going up trees and stuff .. I could not sleep at night . love my cats like the dogs and horses .. They are my family. I've got a yr old foster cat coming tomorrow, with her 7 kittens born yesterday, my cat was a handrear I kept because of a heart murmur, she's an indoor cat though."

I have 4 dogs I is a 10 month Westy the new kitten was thinking she was her mum she has a really close bond with her .. its lovely too see .. She is still small to young to go too the vets. xx I love kittens wow 7 not sure I could give them back. xxxxx

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones. I would never trust them to release .. my cats are into going up trees and stuff .. I could not sleep at night . love my cats like the dogs and horses .. They are my family. I've got a yr old foster cat coming tomorrow, with her 7 kittens born yesterday, my cat was a handrear I kept because of a heart murmur, she's an indoor cat though. I have 4 dogs I is a 10 month Westy the new kitten was thinking she was her mum she has a really close bond with her .. its lovely too see .. She is still small to young to go too the vets. xx I love kittens wow 7 not sure I could give them back. xxxxx"

Have to give them back, or I can't help more, we've had over 40 fosters, most handrear kittens, they are bloody hard work.x

over a year ago

I volunteer with a cat rescue, we had a cat come in with 1 leg through the plastic flea collar, it had cut her armpit open, my cat doesn't wear 1, but if folk use them they should be quick release ones. I would never trust them to release .. my cats are into going up trees and stuff .. I could not sleep at night . love my cats like the dogs and horses .. They are my family. I've got a yr old foster cat coming tomorrow, with her 7 kittens born yesterday, my cat was a handrear I kept because of a heart murmur, she's an indoor cat though. I have 4 dogs I is a 10 month Westy the new kitten was thinking she was her mum she has a really close bond with her .. its lovely too see .. She is still small to young to go too the vets. xx I love kittens wow 7 not sure I could give them back. xxxxx

Have to give them back, or I can't help more, we've had over 40 fosters, most handrear kittens, they are bloody hard work.x"

yes I bet they are hard work my girl is only small but into everything ... I put her in a really big dog cage so I can have a rest . xx

By *lkDomWhtSubBiCpleCouple
over a year ago

Somewhere / Everywhere /Kinksville

At my last house, just before we left, our neighbour behind showed us a tree in their garden that had several of my old cats collars stuck in it, from where the daft bugger had got trapped and the collar quick released.

There's a lot of crazy cat women in this thread

over a year ago

"At my last house, just before we left, our neighbour behind showed us a tree in their garden that had several of my old cats collars stuck in it, from where the daft bugger had got trapped and the collar quick released.

There's a lot of crazy cat women in this thread "

my cats do there job over the stables here ... I hate HATE RATS ,

By *aul1973HullMan
over a year ago

East Hull

"Take them back, they are obviously faulty!

the kittens or the collars? lol"

The timing of that made me snort and giggle

over a year ago

Just to repeat the message from some other users - DON'T put collars on cats - done a lot of work with cat charities - collars can be deadly - absolutely no need for them x

Post new Message to Thread